Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Desert Bus posted:

I thought about getting some Bowfin for my local pond but apparently if you put a few into a small pond you just end up with Bowfin and then they die cause they've eaten everything else.

Aquarium for the bowfin and a pond to raise its food :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ihop posted:

YMMV I'm sure, but my local Walmart has some rod/reel combos on clearance right now for stupid cheap. Cast or spinning, Lew's, Daiwa and Ugly Sticks reduced from $55-$99 down to $11 or $13. They're not even spooled so you don't even have to waste time there. That's cheaper than half the lures I've got, and I consider those semi-disposable, so I grabbed one of each to hand to anyone I think might break/lose one. It's hard not to scoop up them all and figure out later what to do with them.

So far locally I found a couple abu Garcia vengeance MH combos for 40

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gah, our ice fishing trip this weekend was cancelled because it's been too warm. in fact it was raining in southern ontario yesterday. hosed up

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

the yeti posted:

Aquarium for the bowfin and a pond to raise its food :hai:

OK so... When you set up an aquarium and chose the stock? You NEED at least a 3"+ width past the fishies total adult length. Bowfin get way too big for your average 150g? Even a normal size 300g is going to be too small. I only run a 29g and a 10g lol.

You can kinda? fix this with over-filtration, but the fish won't be happy if they can't turn around properly without hitting the glass.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I mean i was mostly joking but yeah I’m not surprised an adult bowfin needs a huge tank.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Keeping gamefish in a fish tank is not a very good idea if you don't know what you are doing anyway. Most north American gamefish are going to end up on the floor, even with reinforced lids.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sickening posted:

Keeping gamefish in a fish tank is not a very good idea if you don't know what you are doing anyway. Most north American gamefish are going to end up on the floor, even with reinforced lids.

The easiest are the Panfish, but Bluegill are the most aggressive fish I've ever kept. They are monsters. Apparently some of the other species are calmer? I dunno.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm trying to remember the name of an as- seen-on-tv lure set i saw on tv in 2017 or 2018.

I had a co-worker who was an idiot and an rear end in a top hat but we both liked fishing so we'd chat about it to kill time.

One day he told me that he saw a commercial for a tackle set that had 250 lures in it and he offered to go halfsies with me and divvy up the baits.

I looked it up and of course it wasn't 250 lures but some kind of lure system. I think it was along the lines of a handful of special jig heads, special plastic bodies, and then some trailers or skirts and other greeblies to rig them in various configurations.

I went back and told my co-worker that it was more like a dozen special jig heads and an assortment of plastics, not 250 individual baits. He lost interest so I never got them.

I wanted to take another look at this kit but i can't remember the name of it. I do remember being really surprised that new tv fishing lure systems were still being rolled out in 2018.

Pretty sure it's not the 100-piece Mighty Bite set but that's the most recent one i can find with a quick search.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

titties posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an as- seen-on-tv lure set i saw on tv in 2017 or 2018.

I had a co-worker who was an idiot and an rear end in a top hat but we both liked fishing so we'd chat about it to kill time.

One day he told me that he saw a commercial for a tackle set that had 250 lures in it and he offered to go halfsies with me and divvy up the baits.

I looked it up and of course it wasn't 250 lures but some kind of lure system. I think it was along the lines of a handful of special jig heads, special plastic bodies, and then some trailers or skirts and other greeblies to rig them in various configurations.

I went back and told my co-worker that it was more like a dozen special jig heads and an assortment of plastics, not 250 individual baits. He lost interest so I never got them.

I wanted to take another look at this kit but i can't remember the name of it. I do remember being really surprised that new tv fishing lure systems were still being rolled out in 2018.

Pretty sure it's not the 100-piece Mighty Bite set but that's the most recent one i can find with a quick search.

Before I noticed 17/18 I was thinking the Roland Martin Helicopter Lure which I distinctly remember my brother excitedly buying as a kid

They didn't work for poo poo lol

Only other recent thing I can find on Google is The Walking Worm but that doesn't sound like what you're describing either.

titties
May 10, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

Before I noticed 17/18 I was thinking the Roland Martin Helicopter Lure which I distinctly remember my brother excitedly buying as a kid

They didn't work for poo poo lol

Only other recent thing I can find on Google is The Walking Worm but that doesn't sound like what you're describing either.

I have some vintage helicopter lures in all the hot colors such as pearl, salmon, and chart, as well as the big barrel swivels and nail weights that go with them.

I haven't tried them yet but looking at some YouTube review videos it seems like they do spin, which is really the only thing they're supposed to do.

E: maybe i am thinking of Mighty Bite and it was some gigantic special infomercial-only package that was bigger than the blister packs or the 100 piece set.

I did find a set called 1 Shot that was basically a couple of customizable crankbaits with different bills and fins and trailers and it looks pretty cool but i think you only actually get 2 crankbaits

titties fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 19, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

titties posted:

I have some vintage helicopter lures in all the hot colors such as pearl, salmon, and chart, as well as the big barrel swivels and nail weights that go with them.

I haven't tried them yet but looking at some YouTube review videos it seems like they do spin, which is really the only thing they're supposed to do.

E: maybe i am thinking of Mighty Bite and it was some gigantic special infomercial-only package that was bigger than the blister packs or the 100 piece set.

I did find a set called 1 Shot that was basically a couple of customizable crankbaits with different bills and fins and trailers and it looks pretty cool but i think you only actually get 2 crankbaits

by "work" i mean "catch fish"

titties
May 10, 2012

It is now my mission to do some MAXIMUM BASSIN' using helicopter lures this spring, will report back

As a kid i desperately wanted to be roland martin or babe winkleman or bill dance, just some fat old guy ripping slabs and hogs out of the weeds all day long and getting paid for it. I literally wanted to be a tournament bass angler, a totally achievable dream that i allowed boomers to talk me out of ever trying

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Roland Martin has got onto youtube recently where he is giving fishing advice like "you can catch bass in Florida with just a topwater on a baitcaster and a Senko on a spinning reel" which is pretty much all I keep in my kayak

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
The one true late night TV infomercial fishing lure is, and always has been, the Banjo Minnow. Thing is, the drat things actually worked as well as advertised. I saved up my allowance for a month or so and had my dad order me a kit when I was a little guy. They were basically a special rigged soft plastic jerk bait.

The catch though was they purposely didn't give you enough hardware, so if you lost a special hook or two or the little screw attachments that attached the minnow body to the hook you were SOL. Also the kit came with three lure sizes, OK, way too big, and this poo poo is saltwater.

But like I said, the drat things actually worked crazy well, and behaved exactly like they did in the infomercial in practice. They had a real neat, snappy, jerky action and you really could get them to act like a dying bait fish. While it lasted (before the inevitable loss of hooks etc) it was almost like cheating at my local fishing holes as a kid. I would even get channel catfish nailing the things while I was after bass.

titties
May 10, 2012

WTF BEES posted:

The one true late night TV infomercial fishing lure is, and always has been, the Banjo Minnow.

From everything I've heard the banjo minnow is a legit good bait and the gold standard for as-seen-on-tv gear.

As a kid i was very interested in the banjo lure because Babe Winkleman was my favorite outdoors show host. I also wanted the flying lure really badly but i could never convince my grandfather to buy any of them for me. He was always very contemptuous of them.

As it turns out the banjo minnow, flying lure, and walking worm are all viable baits. Shame that you can only get old stock of the banjo.

Years after grandpa passed away my mother had some guys come in to do some work on grandpa's house. She told them that they could take a couple of fishing rods as a thank-you. As soon as she was out of sight they stuffed their truck full of about 40 fishing rods and a bunch of tackle and peeled out.

Mom let me go through what was left and it was nice to find my first spinning reel and tackle box. I also found some ASOTV lures that those guys didn't steal. Not the banjo or flying lures that i had practically begged grandpa for. It wasthe helicopter lures. 5 colors of helicopter lures. A stupid rear end bait that might actually deserve the contempt he heaped so generously on actual good baits.

I will catch a fish on the helicopter lure, i swear it. I believe this because I've seen youtube videos of it and also because you can throw just about any small object with a hook on it and catch a fish. Hot wheels car, cigarette butt, bottle cap, literally just a stick. Put a hook on it and eventually some dumb rear end fish will give it a try. This i believe

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

titties posted:

I will catch a fish on the helicopter lure, i swear it. I believe this because I've seen youtube videos of it and also because you can throw just about any small object with a hook on it and catch a fish. Hot wheels car, cigarette butt, bottle cap, literally just a stick. Put a hook on it and eventually some dumb rear end fish will give it a try. This i believe

saw a guy on youtube catch fish on warhammer space marines with treble hooks

titties
May 10, 2012

I have some vintage M.U.S.C.L.E figures ...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I've had some for 20+ years that I bought at Big Lots when they still had a sporting goods section. I've never even had a bump. Of course that's true for most of my lures. Have a jerkbait that has not yielded a single bite in 30+ years.

titties posted:

As it turns out the banjo minnow, flying lure, and walking worm are all viable baits. Shame that you can only get old stock of the banjo.

https://www.buybanjominnow.com/

but yeah, fish are dumb. When I was 15 or so I decided to make a lure out of some random balsa wood, badly carved and painted. I got a pretty drat good bass on it before later losing it in a tree or some poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Second time out in the new skiff, drifting out on the flats, caught some speckled trout.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I got taken by the "kicktails" from about 15 years or so ago.

They were the first jointed lures I saw that had more than 2 segments. I see lots of them now, but they were the first ones I saw and I thought they were soooooo cool.

Don't think I've had much luck with them, but then I don't have much luck with anything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Zman paddle tails have been working great for me, I probably catch 75% of fish with lures using those. Slamshady color to be specific, but that's the color that mimics the baitfish here, order some in the color of the baitfish near you and you'll have success.

Also adding procure (scent) to it helps big time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s been 70+ in chas for a couple weeks now so I ran out this morning and had some big largemouth strikes. Feels early as hell.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Guess what showed up today!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

They are fine little boats.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My spring arsinal, an embarrassment of riches. Not trying to scoreboard, just overly excited of my current spring fishing as its been amazing.

Highlights*

As far as super high end goes, the new shimano antares 2023 md is the gold standard. Its better with medium sized baits than previous models by a factor of x. Its no longer a huge/heavy bait only reel. Still not good enough for light baits, but its more of a heavy/medium bait reel and nothing better exists. Casts a mile, nothing prevents backlash better, and the insane expense at least feels like you getting something out of it. If the new model was something you were curious about, I was one of the first people NA who got one, so just know (from me) that its great.

Shimano Aldebaran . Both the Shimano Aldebaran MGL 50 and the BFS version are amazing. I think the 50 is the light bait real in existence. The bfs real is in the conversation for the best micro bait reel in existence. Maybe the reels I use the most. I can't emphasis enough that if you are spending $$$ on a reel, the Aldebaran might be what I would buy first if I could go back in time.

Rods. megabass are some of my most used but I don't recommend them unless you just have money to burn (just not enough bang for the buck). The g-loomis imx-pro serious (i have 903 and 906) are my primary rods going forward and I think that might be the best rods I have ever used. They are so light and their bend is so perfect for baits with treble hooks. I am getting older and light makes my arms and hands feel much better after all day fishing.

To sum it up, if I had to own ONE rod, it would be an Aldebaran MGL 50 with a g-loomis imx-pro 903. It would probably last me the rest of my life to go along the pricetag.

(if anyone wants to talk about budget setups, i am open to that too)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That's some nice gear there. Here I thought I was fancy with the new vanford 3000 reel and tatula elite rod I got this year. I'm very happy with both, though I was immediately surprised by how small and light the reel is compared to other 3000 size reels and kind of wish I had gotten a 4000 or maybe even the 5000 for a little more versatility on the coast. The rod I got is ML and again I am impressed with how light it is. The whole setup feels very light and delicate in my hand but I'm very satisfied with how both rod and reel seem to firm up when hooked on to a decent fish.

This is the first year I've been fishing frequently from before the spawn to whatever we're at now. I usually give up around October because once it starts to cool off here I completely lose the bass until the trees start flowering again. This year it was fun to observe the bass in my local lakes and ponds return from wherever they hide all winter and start clearing beds. For a week or so I could toss a Ned rig or drop shot out and if it was near a bed it would get hit almost instantly. Now they're starting to move out and I'm excited to try a bunch of crankbaits I picked up over the winter.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Aldebaran on a Loomis GLX 843 MBR is my current favorite combo. Just an amazing setup. Looking at adding a 844 soon, might stick an Aldebaran on it, too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Aldebaran on a Loomis GLX 843 MBR is my current favorite combo. Just an amazing setup. Looking at adding a 844 soon, might stick an Aldebaran on it, too.

Yeah, that sounds like a sweet setup. You really can't go wrong with the reel. I think the biggest challenge it might have are the really big baits if you want to throw them really far.

The striper fishing I do is about the only time the ANTARES don't seem like overkill. Huge a-rigs, huge swimbaits, and whatever 2-6 ounce stuff we try to use to catch the big ones. I might be a bit shy throwing them on Aldebaran just on spool strength. I wouldn't be shocked if I was just being too careful.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I've had an inflatable kayak for years now and I primarily fish smaller lakes for catfish or trout depending on the season. After trying some friends regular rigid fishing kayaks I think I want to upgrade to something like that. I've looked at them for quite some time. I'm looking at shorter fishing kayaks like 10.5' after trying out one of these and it was super stable and fun. https://www.sportsmans.com/boats-kayaks-canoes-boating-supplies/paddle-sports/kayaks/old-town-kayak-sportsman-106-10ft-photic-camo/p/1671829

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how I'm going to transport it. I usually take my bumper pull camper trailer so I have though about a ladder mount for it on the back of the trailer, however, sometimes I would like to just take the truck (Ram Power Wagon 2500 6.5ft bed) to local urban lakes also so now I'm thinking of a way to haul it just on the truck. Does anyone have experience in this type of transport like with basically a ladder rack over the bed? I hate to lose the use of my tonneau cover to mount a rack but if I get one that isn't a bolt on and is easily removed I might go that way.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Pitre posted:

I've had an inflatable kayak for years now and I primarily fish smaller lakes for catfish or trout depending on the season. After trying some friends regular rigid fishing kayaks I think I want to upgrade to something like that. I've looked at them for quite some time. I'm looking at shorter fishing kayaks like 10.5' after trying out one of these and it was super stable and fun. https://www.sportsmans.com/boats-kayaks-canoes-boating-supplies/paddle-sports/kayaks/old-town-kayak-sportsman-106-10ft-photic-camo/p/1671829

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how I'm going to transport it. I usually take my bumper pull camper trailer so I have though about a ladder mount for it on the back of the trailer, however, sometimes I would like to just take the truck (Ram Power Wagon 2500 6.5ft bed) to local urban lakes also so now I'm thinking of a way to haul it just on the truck. Does anyone have experience in this type of transport like with basically a ladder rack over the bed? I hate to lose the use of my tonneau cover to mount a rack but if I get one that isn't a bolt on and is easily removed I might go that way.

If you aren't pulling a trailer just slide it in the bed under the cover and run a couple cam straps to keep it secure. I have a 5ft bed Tacoma and this is what I have done (minus the tonneau cover) until I got my NuCanoe which is a bit longer/heavier and needed extra support in the form of a hitch mount bed extender.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pitre posted:

It’s called bed extender. I have used one for several years. They sell cheap ones and they are fine. A company called boonedocks sells one made for Kayaks that is a bit expensive.

Using a bed extender is simple and effective. Just make sure to put a flag on the end of your kayak as may be required fur extended loads.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah I suppose I could use a bed extender or just flag it and hang it over the back when just local urban lake stuff. I neglected to mention that I would also take it with me when hauling the trailer so I was thinking the ladder rack idea to do both but yeah why mess with that if it's only ~10'... I was overthinking it. I can just get the mount for the trailer when using it and just toss it in the truck bed when not taking trailer!

If anyone has any opinions on smaller fishing kayaks like that I'm all ears! I have been flipping the coin if I want to get a pedal propelled or just stick to paddle. I'm not bass fishing to troll/cast and mostly stick to small lakes or sections of the lake I'm camping at so thinking just paddle.

Pitre fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 24, 2023

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm sorry if this has been asked to death:

Anybody familiar with some less-crowded areas of the Outer Banks for surf or pier fishing? Specifically anything closer to Kitty Hawk?

We were looking at going this Sunday and I'm not too familiar with the area.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Got back a couple weeks ago from Canada ice fishing trip, had a great time, but had a fever the whole trip and felt like absolute garbage the whole time.

We still managed I think 12 pike over 40”, with 45” being the biggest.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Surprise surprise, salt cranks don’t cut it for rivers and streams.

Anyone have recs for knockoff rooster tails or somesuch for trout? Normally, I’d just buy a bag of rooster tails and maybe blow the wad on some trout HD cranks, but I am curious if Aliexpress has anything good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Surprise surprise, salt cranks don’t cut it for rivers and streams.

Anyone have recs for knockoff rooster tails or somesuch for trout? Normally, I’d just buy a bag of rooster tails and maybe blow the wad on some trout HD cranks, but I am curious if Aliexpress has anything good.

Nah, knock offs don't spin very well.

I find that trout love mini jerk baits. I also find that while they love them, they tend to have bougie tastes. The megabass humpback is the best crank/jerkbait I have ever fished for trout for and its not even close. I have to order them from japan to even get a decent price on them. Good luck.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Sickening posted:

Nah, knock offs don't spin very well.

I find that trout love mini jerk baits. I also find that while they love them, they tend to have bougie tastes. The megabass humpback is the best crank/jerkbait I have ever fished for trout for and its not even close. I have to order them from japan to even get a decent price on them. Good luck.

The Tsurinoya store on aliexpress has been good for salt, but less so for trout. I wish there was something equivalent for trout on aliexpress. Fukkin trout lures are a goddamned scam. :smith:

titties
May 10, 2012

I got a 6-pack of those Rapala micro creature baits for like 5 bucks some years ago. I can't cast any of them farther than 15 feet or so so i hardly ever use them.

I have convinced myself that the crawfish or the grasshopper should be able to catch a trout on the river just by dropping it into the current and letting it ride where it will. I have not caught a trout on them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Any NJ goons here that fish at Sandy Hook? I'm thinking about going tomorrow but I wonder if it's going to be completely packed since I'm sure a lot of people will be taking tomorrow off for the holiday weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hi thread, I am a person who’s hobby is collecting hobbies and fishing seems like another chill one to enjoy, so I’ve been lurking this thread front to back for the last few weeks while bored at work. I got a license and took my lovely old Shimano rod and reel out from God knows when along with an old tackle box surprisingly full of some good stuff out only to realize the old Shimano spinner reel was jacked up and I couldn’t see why. Went to find a cheap reel to slap on it and the cheapest one was around the same price as the Ugly Stik GX2 Custom rod and reel that was on sale so I just grabbed that instead.

Anyway, I followed some thread advice and looked around on Google Maps for a spot and found a cool lake nearby with no real “public” access. It’s totally surrounded by several yards of marshy reeds and cattails except for a private dock for a retirement home, a private dock for an apartment complex on one side, and a cemetery on the other. So I went through the cemetery and someone more enterprising than me has built the jankiest pier through the reeds with logs, 2x4s, plywood, doors, pallets, etc.

I’ve been twice now about 1-2 hours before sunset and haven’t ever seen anyone there, and there is tons of activity in there. The water is pretty clear after the marshy stuff so I can see loads of panfish swimming around and some fuckin big rear end what I assume are largemouth bass, but I don’t know what I’m doing so none of them are interested in anything I’ve cast. So far I’ve tried Texas rigged soft plastics like jerkbaits and swim baits, a couple of lipless crank baits, and a sup jig I think? I’ve gotten like one nibble so I’m probably going to keep trying some Texas rig stuff, and go get some more tackle to try a Ned rig and maybe weightless senko stuff. I wanna snag one of these big boys and then I’ll probably try targeting the panfish some!

TL;DR Fishing is cool and I suck at it but I found a cool secluded spot and am having fun with it