Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Artelier posted:

Any opinions on Revita? I do like roguelites in general, but not sure about how "fun" each individual run is, since it looks like you're locked into a weapon for the duration of a run (but with some pretty big ways to modify it if I'm seeing this right?) and that main story progression is gated between higher difficulty

It's currently juuust outside the price point in my region where it's comfortable for me to buy and try

It's one of the more widely beloved roguelites in the roguelike thread. The major divisive mechanic is that you spend health as your currency for upgrades so you're at a major disadvantage unless you're playing perfectly and avoiding all enemy attacks. I can't click with that but if you can it's a good game. It has a ton of content and mechanically it feels great.

e: It got talked about a lot last year in the Roguelikes thread so click this to read opinions from that thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1681817039

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Artelier posted:

Any opinions on Revita? I do like roguelites in general, but not sure about how "fun" each individual run is, since it looks like you're locked into a weapon for the duration of a run (but with some pretty big ways to modify it if I'm seeing this right?) and that main story progression is gated between higher difficulty

It's currently juuust outside the price point in my region where it's comfortable for me to buy and try

It's in the current Humble monthly, FWIW.

The weapon system is right out of Hades, but with the item variety of Binding of Isaac. So while in one sense you are locked-in, several items basically exist to change one weapon type into another, along with other wacky effects. It definitely has that "pop" factor you're looking for.

Story progression is locked behind shard 5, yes, but it's a very minor bump in difficulty imo. The shard system is directly analogous to Hades' Heat system and is very granular. Shard 5 is also the rough equivalent of playing Isaac on hard instead of normal difficulty, a relatively small bump.

There are deeper unlocks that are a lot more challenging and/or time consuming like Isaac. One thing that helps is shortly after you get over the shard 5 hump, you unlock "custom shards" which is the full pick your own difficulty Heat stuff like in Hades.

I do think on the whole the game has a few small issues (many of which are being fixed in the upcoming 2.0 update) but it's easily up there with Isaac, Hades, and Gungeon.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 18, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Great to hear (and read up on), thank you both so much! Gonna grab it soon

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Artelier posted:

The gameplay is really good, the runs are fun and if you abuse their heat system you can get really consistent crazy runs (by turning on the more enemies, more waves, and more rooms "debuffs" you end up with a ton of currency). The main downside of the game is it wasn't very successful so there isn't boss variety like there is in games that had more resources thrown at them post-release. I highly recommend it even without factoring in the big free upcoming Revita 2.0 patch (which adds a bunch of fun stuff to items + more room layouts).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

Megaquarium uses Unity and it has (or had? patch notes say performance has been improved) ridiculous fps problems once you built up to a certain size, regardless of gpu and cpu. The dev didn't anticipate the scale that players wanted to build to.

If you give me 150 different fish, drat right I'm going to have at least several of each type :hai: In general I think devs of sandbox games don't realize that the first thing players are going to do is see how far they can push its limits. My tank of 60 crabs and 10 sharks was cool as gently caress even if everything rendered at 20 fps.

This is still really common with game menus.

the Megaquarium dev actually went out of his way though to fix it as much as possible with some sort of success over a variety of patches. I dont have a 1:1 comparison anymore as I switched hardware, but it runs much smoother today as it did at release.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226620/Desktop_Dungeons/

click this now it might only work today. get the game for free, and automatically get the remaster free too at its release later today. haven't played it but i guess its kinda like tactical nexus

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

I uh, yeah. What?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What nudie games have you been playing instead?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unruly posted:

I uh, yeah. What?

Post your play history lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

those games aren't like Sex With Hitler at all

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

MarcusSA posted:

Post your play history lol

:biglips:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Mescal posted:

click this now it might only work today. get the game for free, and automatically get the remaster free too at its release later today. haven't played it but i guess its kinda like tactical nexus

Best way I can explain it is that DD is randomized puzzle roguelike consisting of single dungeon runs.

It's the only game where you can be a gnome wizard who's a devout worshipper of the earth goddess just so you can cover everything in acid (including yourself) so you can kill the boss with fireballs at level 1, invoking the rune of burndayraz ("burn their rear end").

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok now that suggestion is even funnier.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Steam saw you binging borderlands and wanted to suggest something less gratuitous like masturbation instead.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mescal posted:

dev posted:

Sorry for the confusion at the moment. We're trying to sort this out. Desktop Dungeons was meant to be free when Desktop Dungeons: Rewind launched, but timings have gotten confused.

If you bought Desktop Dungeons, you will get Rewind for free. Whether it's the Desktop Dungeons: Special Edition or Desktop Dungeons, both will work and you will receive Desktop Dungeons: Rewind for free on launch.

If you claimed Desktop Dungeons for free, we have no idea what's going to happen, and we don't know how it's going to resolve until Valve get back to us.

If you buy Desktop Dungeons or Desktop Dungeons: Special Edition after the launch of Desktop Dungeons: Rewind, you will not get Rewind for free. This is why we were supposed to be giving Desktop Dungeons away for free for a bit 😄

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

MarcusSA posted:

Ok now that suggestion is even funnier.
I mean, I guess if you violently kill someone, their insides are technically naked. 🤔

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bayonetta has the nudity tag

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The review embargo for Dead Island 2 lifted today and it sounds.. fine? Like a lot of 6's and 7's.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1648338766099038208?s=20

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Steam saw you binging borderlands and wanted to suggest something less gratuitous like masturbation instead.

There is some kind of joke here about magic and Randy Pitchford....

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

That duck isn't wearing any pants.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Fat Samurai posted:

:aaa: You're right!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Neither is the truck

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
All European truck drivers do it naked.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"If you have played a game starring a pantless cartoon duck, you may also enjoy the Witcher 3"

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Desktop Dungeons Rewind isn't free for me after I picked up the free previous version shortly before the Rewind launch, fyi.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Artelier posted:

Others have answered you better, but I just wanted to add the music for the first area is an amazing earworm. Maybe the rest is great too, but I haven't made it beyond that because I'm really, really bad at the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

funkmeister posted:

Desktop Dungeons Rewind isn't free for me after I picked up the free previous version shortly before the Rewind launch, fyi.

I've owned Desktop Dungeons for years and it isn't for me either

But also I've gotten a shitload of enjoyment out of it, so whatever

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

funkmeister posted:

I bought Desktop Dungeons last week and also don't seem to have the new version. Dev in one of the forum posts says valve is working on it atm.

Edit: Also said it should be in your library once it is handed out and not something you have to 'claim'

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A bit late to the party, but what's y'all's preferred method of controlling Everspace 2? I find the gamepad turning really sluggish and the mouse doesn't really turn when I want it to.

Didn't have to put up with either of those in CHORVS, I tell you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did you up the sensitivity? I use a gamepad and if anything I'd say it's too sensitive rather than sluggish.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

I bought Desktop Dungeons last week and also don't seem to have the new version. Dev in one of the forum posts says valve is working on it atm.

Edit: Also said it should be in your library once it is handed out and not something you have to 'claim'

Yeah I apparently jumped the gun when I bought it

If you wait they have "DLC" you can buy as a nice tip anyway, if you want. It looks like the game is more or less identical to the original but touched up and with a rewind function. Which is nice, since the original rules

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I apparently jumped the gun when I bought it

If you wait they have "DLC" you can buy as a nice tip anyway, if you want. It looks like the game is more or less identical to the original but touched up and with a rewind function. Which is nice, since the original rules

I never played it and thought this was a cool gesture for the devs to do so I definitely will be checking out the rewind. I hope the kids on steam aren't too annoying to them about the free game they aren't getting fast enough.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I had Desktop Dungeons Rewind appear after restarting, so maybe that would help.

In any case, while I am not crazy about how the 3D graphics looks over the old 2D stuff, its Desktop Dungeons and a perfect excuse to revisit it.

EDIT: I should mention I had it for years and did not get it just now due to the free thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Minecraft Legends is a weird fuckin game. Not sure how I feel about it so far but I'm still in the tutorial phase. It reminds me of the RTS stuff from Brutal Legends except with crafting and mining in there too.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Scrooge and his nephews are canonically naked from the waist down.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

explosivo posted:

Minecraft Legends is a weird fuckin game. Not sure how I feel about it so far but I'm still in the tutorial phase. It reminds me of the RTS stuff from Brutal Legends except with crafting and mining in there too.

That was easily the worst part of Brutal Legend. :yikes:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Mescal posted:

Absolutely play this game. One of my all time favorites.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Unlucky7 posted:

I had Desktop Dungeons Rewind appear after restarting, so maybe that would help.

yep restarting the steam client made it pop up in my library as well

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deakul posted:

That was easily the worst part of Brutal Legend. :yikes:

It suuuuure was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dhamster posted:

Absolutely play this game. One of my all time favorites.

Rewind is very good and charming still as well

Though, I don't actually see a way to rewind yet. Not that I've needed it or anything :v: