Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

30 Under 13 is the best thing I’ve heard all year and I can’t stop listening to it on repeat. I’m expecting the Better Lovers tape to be my AOTY unless this song was a fluke. I love the Acacia Strain but neither of the singles so far make me think they’re about to surpass Slow Decay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Seriously, what an absolute rear end-beater of a song. Greg is such a perfect fit. Those too-good-to-be-true supergroup-sounding lineups usually end up disappointing, but this feels completely natural and exactly as good as it looks on paper. Just wild how a bunch of dudes 20+ years into their careers are still putting out music that sounds this aggressive and inspired.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I've been on a DEP kick the last few weeks, this hits the spot so hard. Beyond psyched for the rest of the album to drop

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Fun personal DEP story that I feel bears repeating:

Back in the fall of 2017 I moved out to the Midwest from the east coast. I knew DEP's last shows were happening at the end of the year but didn't buy tickets since I had no idea what my life situation would be. Fast forward to December, I'm visiting family for the holidays and go to a random bar in Manhattan with a friend. I head to the restroom, and when I step out, I hear someone call my name. I turn around and it's my cousin who I haven't seen in nearly 10 years, who lives in Austin. Turns out he's in town mainly for the DEP show, and his girlfriend was very on the fence about going after learning more about what a usual DEP show looks like. So, he had an extra ticket... and it went to me :D We end up reconnecting after the fact and now I'm going to his wedding (with the same person that I met then) in September.

The universe is weird and magical sometimes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

reversefungi posted:

Fun personal DEP story that I feel bears repeating:

Back in the fall of 2017 I moved out to the Midwest from the east coast. I knew DEP's last shows were happening at the end of the year but didn't buy tickets since I had no idea what my life situation would be. Fast forward to December, I'm visiting family for the holidays and go to a random bar in Manhattan with a friend. I head to the restroom, and when I step out, I hear someone call my name. I turn around and it's my cousin who I haven't seen in nearly 10 years, who lives in Austin. Turns out he's in town mainly for the DEP show, and his girlfriend was very on the fence about going after learning more about what a usual DEP show looks like. So, he had an extra ticket... and it went to me :D We end up reconnecting after the fact and now I'm going to his wedding (with the same person that I met then) in September.

The universe is weird and magical sometimes.

Those farewell shows were absolutely insane, somehow being at Terminal 5 almost made them better?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

gently caress! I just realized that Better Lovers drop off that tour one show before the NM date. Lord help me, I might hafta go to TX

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the 13 30 etid song thing is pretty whatever tbh

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

contrarian guy doesn't like thing

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
new spiritbox single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hRgHHuk3hc

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

After spinning the new Jesus Piece a few times, it's fine. Some good moments, but I'm reminded why I just never can quite get into them. Every point of every song just sounds like every other point of every other song.

ShoogaSlim posted:

the 13 30 etid song thing is pretty whatever tbh

Brother, I'm usually with you, but this ain't one of those times.

*poking with a stick* c'mon get heavy

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

XIII posted:

After spinning the new Jesus Piece a few times, it's fine. Some good moments, but I'm reminded why I just never can quite get into them. Every point of every song just sounds like every other point of every other song.

Brother, I'm usually with you, but this ain't one of those times.

im struggling w the new jesus piece too. i really liked the singles but the whole album is taking longer than i thought to do anything for me

as for the better lovers band, i know its an unpopular opinion, but ive been better about not bothering to chime in if stuff gets posted i dont like. in this case, tho, its Big News in -core stuff so i just wanted to throw my hat in the ring. i wish i liked it more. just feels like watered down etid and i never really liked gregs voice anyway.

if this was the year 2000 i would be making GBS threads myself excited at a dillinger/etid crossover. today? meh. im glad etid is doing stuff. it feels natural. im sure it'll be prosperous and hit the right mark for a lot of people. that's sick. hopefully more songs will prove me wrong idk

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

i echo the jesus piece sentiment. i am happy they exist and happy for their success but that now makes two full lengths by them where i struggle to differentiate any songs. they're just not for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

im struggling w the new jesus piece too. i really liked the singles but the whole album is taking longer than i thought to do anything for me

as for the better lovers band, i know its an unpopular opinion, but ive been better about not bothering to chime in if stuff gets posted i dont like. in this case, tho, its Big News in -core stuff so i just wanted to throw my hat in the ring. i wish i liked it more. just feels like watered down etid and i never really liked gregs voice anyway.

if this was the year 2000 i would be making GBS threads myself excited at a dillinger/etid crossover. today? meh. im glad etid is doing stuff. it feels natural. im sure it'll be prosperous and hit the right mark for a lot of people. that's sick. hopefully more songs will prove me wrong idk

I get that. I never LOVED Greg/DEP the way the rest of the scenes did/does, but I've always at least been able to understand why people dug them. I was honestly kinda disappointed to learn he was gonna be the new frontman, but then I listened and it just clicked. I know I'm biased, since I'm a total ETID fanboy, but something about their instrumentation just helps me "get" Greg's vocals better than any DEP track (never really hosed with any of his solo/side projects). He still sounds like Greg, but I think this really goes to show what I've been saying since ETID's split: people really thought, "but without Keith's lyrics, they're gonna suck", not realizing that the rest of the band are able to write REALLY loving GOOD music

As for Jesus Piece, each new single had me like, "poo poo, maybe this will be the release that gets me on board" and then I listened to the full album and was like, "oh, ya, that's right, they have one sound." I'll listen a handful more times and try to pull out the best tracks to toss on my gym playlist then largely forget the album exists within a few months.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

I get that. I never LOVED Greg/DEP the way the rest of the scenes did/does, but I've always at least been able to understand why people dug them. I was honestly kinda disappointed to learn he was gonna be the new frontman, but then I listened and it just clicked. I know I'm biased, since I'm a total ETID fanboy, but something about their instrumentation just helps me "get" Greg's vocals better than any DEP track (never really hosed with any of his solo/side projects). He still sounds like Greg, but I think this really goes to show what I've been saying since ETID's split: people really thought, "but without Keith's lyrics, they're gonna suck", not realizing that the rest of the band are able to write REALLY loving GOOD music

this is verbatim how I feel about TDEP, Greg, and ETID and Better Lovers. post was pulled from my own brain without my knowing it. well put homie.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i thought the song was fine, but that's from someone who has never really cared for ETID or DEP at all. my favorite puciato project is the black queen

XIII posted:

*poking with a stick* c'mon get heavy

haha yeah i agree, i think the new album is gonna be all over the place which is hopefully a good thing

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
if they put out more stuff that sounds close to hot drat era etid but with greg on vocals i'll be happy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Absolutely so wild to see my old band in the music news again

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

XIII posted:

the rest of the band are able to write REALLY loving GOOD music

i agree with this, and i'm holding out hope that other songs will catch my interest. hell, i'm an etid fan and i think half of their discography is unlistenable garbage and the other half is pure genius. can't win em all

Gone Fashing posted:

if they put out more stuff that sounds close to hot drat era etid but with greg on vocals i'll be happy

this, basically. or last night in town, or from parts unknown, etc.

quote:

As for Jesus Piece, each new single had me like, "poo poo, maybe this will be the release that gets me on board" and then I listened to the full album and was like, "oh, ya, that's right, they have one sound." I'll listen a handful more times and try to pull out the best tracks to toss on my gym playlist then largely forget the album exists within a few months.

jp is hands down one of my favorite bands bc the good songs go hard and they're an absolutely bonkers live show. but even i have to admit i pretty much never run anything from them from front to back. they have odd album sequencing. bummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDAOiD3e_04

^ been jamming this new bad boy a lot this week. goes hard. the breakdown at 2:17 with rotating guest vocals is everything i need in life

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^yeah, that's good

Also, everyone give Mania, by Liar, a spin
https://youtu.be/B_OzHD4Dfaw

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Acacia Strain - CHAIN (feat. Jacob Lilly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGbWZUR64J8

jesus christ that's an assbeater

E: this song is still clobbering me. this new record is going to hit hard

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 20, 2023

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://youtu.be/ZIq1BDibluk

New Kublia Khan (TX) track

Edit: I'm not saying it's the reason I hit a bench PR, but it sure as poo poo didn't hurt

XIII fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 25, 2023

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

https://youtu.be/ZIq1BDibluk

New Kublia Khan (TX) track

Edit: I'm not saying it's the reason I hit a bench PR, but it sure as poo poo didn't hurt

i love this aggressive meathead band. every song they write sounds like every member of the band is a former jiffy lube tech that got fired for assaulting customers

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
May is shaping up to be a good month. Releases from:

Unearth
    Veil Of Maya
    DevilDriver
    The Acacia Strain
    Incendiary

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 3, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jesus loving christ

https://www.metalsucks.net/2023/05/02/between-the-buried-and-me-guitarist-dustie-waring-accused-of-raping-impregnating-fan/

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Between The Buried and Me Too

(gently caress that is disgusting and awful, what the christ)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Edit-- disregard.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://kokeshicore.bandcamp.com/album/-

https://twitter.com/menchan1130/status/1653939945218916353

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
do you guys think they called themselves Better Lovers cuz of that line in Post Boredom

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Probably not, since the line is "I don't want to be a better liar"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
oh poo poo that's right. there goes my memory

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Currents is out! Very hyped

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Been listening to the singles a lot lately I’m stoked as hell. Gotta show love for the CT bands also.

I have a lot of poo poo to blast today!

Currents
Unearth
Drain
Denzel Curry (no he didn’t release a hardcore tape I just think he’s neat)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

XIII posted:

Yes! The first couple singles have been excellent.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

So far, enjoyed both Currents and Unearth. Currents, honestly, the singles to me are still the strongest tracks on the record. Unearth is... well it's an Unearth record but I really hope I hear Invictus and Dawn of the Militant when I see them on the 20th because those rip.

A couple songs into Drain and it might end up my favorite of the day. I love this band's vibe. It just works.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

New Currents rules. I absolutely love Unfamiliar. That kind of driving yet still hooky chorus is absolutely my style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeVRtCXbkhs

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Black Matter Device put out a little EP. 3 new tracks, then some live versions of previous tracks.

https://blackmatterdevice.bandcamp.com/album/buckshot-mouthwash-mr-uncomfortable

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yoooo Bury Your Dead posted pictures and a video on their Facebook story - looks like they're in the studio. gently caress yes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i'm not blown away or in love or anything but i've been jamming the new unearth and it's solid enough to keep on passively and head bang to the heavy parts

double checked when they're playing bc i know it's coming up. turns out it's tonight lol so now i'm going to see unearth and bleeding through for the first time in like 15+ years

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'm not blown away or in love or anything but i've been jamming the new unearth and it's solid enough to keep on passively and head bang to the heavy parts

double checked when they're playing bc i know it's coming up. turns out it's tonight lol so now i'm going to see unearth and bleeding through for the first time in like 15+ years

Yeah I really wasn't feeling the singles they put out, but I've listened to it a few times now and think it's pretty good. Still not really sure what happened to Trevor's vocals on the last two albums though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Unearth always knows how to write bone crushing breakdowns with great build-ups. That alone is making the new album worth multiple listens