Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Peteyfoot posted:

Odd question, but is there a roguelike or roguelikes that would be particularly suited for playing with an arcade stick?

First thing that came to my mind was Right and Down

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008050/Right_and_Down/

Not sure it's a good use of a joystick but you could certainly use the joystick to move right and down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tiny Rogues with the auto aim turned all the way up would be neat on an arcade stick.

Unrelated, I started playing Noita again this weekend and man, Noita rules.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Peteyfoot posted:

Odd question, but is there a roguelike or roguelikes that would be particularly suited for playing with an arcade stick?

For trad roguelikes, what come to mind immediately are Shiren (SNES) and (debatably fitting into this category) Crypt of the Necrodancer.

For action games there's a ton. I liked One Step From Eden a lot and it plays well on a stick. But even something like Rogue Legacy (which I didn't love) plays way better on stick than on kb or pad, I think.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Peteyfoot posted:

...Spelunky?

fake edit: Crypt of the Necrodancer is no good, most of the item controls are stuff like left+right at the same time.
real edit: DoomRL, but you'd have to spin up a good driver to have the cursor flow smoothly when aiming with the joystick.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Does Deathstate count? That's a one-stick shooter, effectively.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Serephina posted:

real edit: DoomRL, but you'd have to spin up a good driver to have the cursor flow smoothly when aiming with the joystick.

So Jupiter Hell?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for all the recs! I love supporting roguelike devs so I will try MANY of the games recommended. :freakout:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Peteyfoot posted:

Monolith

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
On a totally different note, I finally beat the final bosses of Death Roads: Tournament.

It's really really overtuned, with three phases, so I save scummed until I beat the boss on the first turn with an amazing alphastrike of beating the poo poo out of them against the walls till they exploded.

:black101:

Sometimes it feels good to cheat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Not sure, but you gave me a really bad idea for a port of a keyboard-control-heavy game like Nethack and if you want to drink a potion you have to trace out the letter "q" with your arcade stick like you're doing a weird hadoken

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dead Cell is really good with an arcade stick.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Osmosisch posted:

Ravenswatch is really up my alley. Fluid controls, just the right amount of buttons to push, interesting synergies between abilities and heroes. I can't wait for this to be finished.

Despite sucking at this i can't stop playing. I don't think anything has grabbed me like this in some time. I'm having a great time but also now i have to wait for now stuff to come out, half wishing I'd waited :gonk:

It's a good season for excellent EA roguelites between this and Emberstorm

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Peteyfoot posted:

The Void Rain's Upon Her Heart is a horizontal shmup hybrid, so I think an arcade stick would feel second nature.
And as someone else mentioned, Monolith.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
e: didn’t see the page lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got my first win in Wildfrost. Healing and strikeback build with the tribe that lets you summon disposable dudes from masks. I would have thought after my first few games that tanking hits was completely impossible, but turns out to be a viable strategy.

Can echo what you guys are saying about loving things up turns before you realized you hosed it up. You really have to plan 3 turns or so ahead and make sure you have everything accounted for before you act.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Anyone else playing Warriors of the Nile 2?

I'm honestly extremely impressed, it's way better than my initial expressions from the screenshots/videos. It has the same balance philosphy as a game like Monster Train: you can get some ridiculously strong combos, but you can't plan it in advance and the enemy power ramps up fast enough that it's necessary (especially the optional act 4). The neat thing is that the level-up boosts are extremely conditional, which makes it sometimes difficult to predict what the best choice will be long term.
Next to that it has more content than I expected and the meta progression is pretty fast and not that impactful.

Still not entirely sure what the best economy choices are. I tend to prioritize carvings a lot, as opposed to getting weapon slots and items.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Aces and Adventures has added a STS style card draft roguelike mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcQZtrfPXU

A very earnest small team I've liked since Ring Runner

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am intrigued by normal cards mixed with roguelite cards. how does the game work?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Awesome! posted:

i am intrigued by normal cards mixed with roguelite cards. how does the game work?

Where STS and others have an energy system dictating what you can play, Aces and Adventures uses playing cards. Power cards usually have a playing card suit that they require to play, though there's other potential costs, higher power cards have more suits required or require more of the same suit. Attacking and blocking is done via poker hands, the higher your possible hand the easier it is to block the damage or overcome the attempt to block the attack. However, when blocking you can only match the number of cards used by the attacker.

It's all pretty intuitive once you get used to it. There's a pretty good story mode with lots of art and an interesting enough narrative and meta-progression through a number of classes with their own gimmicks.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The other game currently bundled with that just got a (paid) look from the guy what done a lot of noita videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nanwiorhk

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

resistentialism posted:

The other game currently bundled with that just got a (paid) look from the guy what done a lot of noita videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nanwiorhk

Tiny Rogues added a reference to it in the latest update. I played the demo for a little bit, seemed alright but I didn't dig in very hard.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
The basic run of Wildfrost doesn’t seem so difficult. I think I would have already have won if I had the ability to undo the last turn. Not on account of RNG, but the unusually high number of times I accidentally played the wrong card or played it on the wrong target (like misclicking and playing an attack boost on a buff spell in my hand). There are also a bunch of times I failed to observe something that would have killed me or forgotten to move my units and then play my card. The shorter run means I have fewer opportunities to bloat my deck to uselessness like I often do in Slay the Spire.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

LordSloth posted:

The basic run of Wildfrost doesn’t seem so difficult. I think I would have already have won if I had the ability to undo the last turn. Not on account of RNG, but the unusually high number of times I accidentally played the wrong card or played it on the wrong target (like misclicking and playing an attack boost on a buff spell in my hand). There are also a bunch of times I failed to observe something that would have killed me or forgotten to move my units and then play my card. The shorter run means I have fewer opportunities to bloat my deck to uselessness like I often do in Slay the Spire.

I haven't played it to death like slay the spire yet, but the game seems really good

So much charm and production value.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’ve been hooked by Against the Storm for the last few days. Still getting the systems under me but I’ve stayed up late the last few nights just getting one more thing done. I’m only on the second difficulty and I’m only winning a few more maps than I’m losing. I think my main problems come from food, but it’s probably all related to not micromanaging resource consumption enough. Well, if I’m lucky enough to get the resource nodes and the blueprints to establish a pipeline, it becomes a micro issue. Most of the time it feels like I have a few berries but no grains, or mushrooms but no reeds, so I can’t really get food production started until my camp is starving.

Sometimes I’m able to get lucky with traders or caches and can buy my way out of food shortages, but I haven’t been able to reliably establish complex food generation and it’s starting to be a sort of ceiling over what I can accomplish in the game.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

LordSloth posted:

The basic run of Wildfrost doesn’t seem so difficult. I think I would have already have won if I had the ability to undo the last turn.
I would definitely like that option for moments such as these:
https://i.imgur.com/PoKcp8C.mp4
(Monch eats allies in their row to buff themselves up, and how was I supposed to know Blank Mask displaced me instead of the copy? :v:)

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I’ve been hooked by Against the Storm for the last few days. Still getting the systems under me but I’ve stayed up late the last few nights just getting one more thing done. I’m only on the second difficulty and I’m only winning a few more maps than I’m losing. I think my main problems come from food, but it’s probably all related to not micromanaging resource consumption enough. Well, if I’m lucky enough to get the resource nodes and the blueprints to establish a pipeline, it becomes a micro issue. Most of the time it feels like I have a few berries but no grains, or mushrooms but no reeds, so I can’t really get food production started until my camp is starving.

Sometimes I’m able to get lucky with traders or caches and can buy my way out of food shortages, but I haven’t been able to reliably establish complex food generation and it’s starting to be a sort of ceiling over what I can accomplish in the game.

I've so far won 4 out of 4 on the second difficulty and food still seems like a bit of a mystery to me, for what it's worth I haven't bothered at all with micromanaging consumption and it's still worked out, though I've come in just under the wire a few times, and yes usually it amounts to waiting till a trader comes by with food and buying out their whole food stock, selling parts or tools as necessary.

From what I've read though it looks like on any of the higher difficulties it's disadvantageous to reveal too many glades as each one increases the forest hostility by a not insignificant amount, so with that in mind it sounds like the intended way to go about playing is to only reveal some dangerous glades early on, and just go apeshit on whatever resources you happen to come across, then rely on traders for anything you lack, which is why I'm guessing there's a lot of means to generate packs of resources that sell for more than those resources on their own.

I haven't really given that strategy a proper try yet though, but I'll see how that goes for my next run.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gonna shamelessly plug my Against the Storm thread, in case yall wanted to read more about it or ask questions about anything. :)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Exodee posted:

I would definitely like that option for moments such as these:

(Monch eats allies in their row to buff themselves up, and how was I supposed to know Blank Mask displaced me instead of the copy? :v:)

it makes sense ultimately but it's such a niche interaction you couldn't be falted for fumbling it on first sight. for a game about controlling a dozen minute variables and situations the lack of any kind of clear telegraphed outcome of predictable elements is a bit of miss but dang the game looks neat.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I want to do a shoutout to Desktop Dungeons Rewind releasing today. It's a remake of an older game with the same name, and if you bought the old one on Steam they gave you the new one for free.

It's not exactly a Roguelike but it should press the same buttons people in this thread like. You pick a race, class, and eventually some equipment to bring into a randomly generated dungeon to try and beat the boss. You'll get an item that you sell in town to build the town up and unlock more races, classes, and other things.

The best way to describe the gameplay is almost like a puzzle game. You need to find ways to beat the monsters to maximize the amount of XP you get while doing it in a way they lets you still take on the next ones. When you uncover new tiles in the dungeon both you and revealed creatures heal a certain amount. So you are trying to explore in a way that benefits you through healing while making sure monsters aren't benefitting too. Strategies get far more complicated later on, but you should be able to clear more basic dungeons in less than 10 minutes.

I feel like I'm not doing justice to how fun the gameplay is. It's a great game to play when you have just 30 minutes free to relax. Highly recommend and you should check it out, the devs seem like a good bunch!

Desktop Dungeons Rewind

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Desktop Dungeons is extremely good, I've been playing it on and off for 13 years! Playing the game well almost feels like cheating: there's an intended power curve where you mostly fight monsters close to your level, but the best way to succeed is to use every trick in the book to beat higher level monsters at as low a level as possible. You'll find yourself destroying walls to buff your physical resistance, then casting a spell that lets you survive a single fatal blow so you can beat a monster you have absolutely no right beating.

I'm not the biggest fan of the art style in the remake, personally, but the game itself is incredibly solid.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Pladdicus posted:

it makes sense ultimately but it's such a niche interaction you couldn't be falted for fumbling it on first sight. for a game about controlling a dozen minute variables and situations the lack of any kind of clear telegraphed outcome of predictable elements is a bit of miss but dang the game looks neat.
Yea I didn't mind it that much, it was just a funny if unfortunate way to learn how that card works. Some kind of projection of what's about to happen would definitely be nice though, I agree.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How does one get DD Rewind for free? I definitely have the original.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

SettingSun posted:

How does one get DD Rewind for free? I definitely have the original.

It should just be in your Steam library. Might have to exit and re-launch.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the new art. It's growing on me a little though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I just searched my library for Desktop Dungeons and Rewind was already there.

Steam does have a setting that hides uninstalled games, so make sure that's unchecked.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yep a restart did it for me. Thanks!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
When I went to install the game it wasn't in my library, when I went to the store it was listed as in my library already. Restarting steam fixed the issue, if this is going on for anyone else.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Desktop Dungeons was one of the first indie games I remember being really hyped up for, I think there was a free alpha version that convinced me to pre-order and I remember being really excited following news about the game for a long time after that. It's still a great game, but I'm absolutely baffled by the remake. It is hideous, probably one of the worst redesigns I've ever seen, and significantly harder to read and plan your run as a result. It was really cool of them to make a new version and release it for free to existing owners, but I can't wrap my head around how nobody prototyped a dungeon first with this art style and saw that it didn't work at all.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Original is also free right now!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226620/Desktop_Dungeons/

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Adam Bowen posted:

Desktop Dungeons was one of the first indie games I remember being really hyped up for, I think there was a free alpha version that convinced me to pre-order and I remember being really excited following news about the game for a long time after that. It's still a great game, but I'm absolutely baffled by the remake. It is hideous, probably one of the worst redesigns I've ever seen, and significantly harder to read and plan your run as a result. It was really cool of them to make a new version and release it for free to existing owners, but I can't wrap my head around how nobody prototyped a dungeon first with this art style and saw that it didn't work at all.

If you zoom ALL the way out it looks and works more like the original, with the full dungeon on screen. However, at that distance the new art arguably looks less detailed than the old, defeating the purpose completely. The new town screen is kinda nice so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't really get it either =(
I hope it's just temporary but I find it very hard to read...