Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm pretty sure I know which came first, but did written language start with letters and such, or were the first words written down more like kanji or cuneiform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leave posted:

I'm pretty sure I know which came first, but did written language start with letters and such, or were the first words written down more like kanji or cuneiform?

I think it’s well established that the earliest writing systems were pretty much just a picture of a thing it represented, with maybe some marks or such for stuff like counting. So it looked more like hieroglyphs or cuneiform than anything in the modern world, but even then those two are a few levels of abstraction away from the origins. The modern Latin alphabet is something like four or five generations removed from the Phoentian it derives from, which itself is probably four or five generations deep.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Keeping with the early human development is there any evidence of the first language or what it would have been most similar to?

Everything already mentioned is good, but the best source we have for this is contemporary sign languages that arose in communities where one or "preferably" more children were born deaf but there was no existing sign language to use in the area. Essentially, the parents would make something up along with the kids, and the kids would then become fluent speakers of this newly created language. Long story short, it starts with simple concepts like animals and feelings but within a generation or two it turns into something that's comparable to old languages.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

I think you can make a decent argument that cave paintings count as "written language", in the sense that they are a recorded form of communication.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think you can make a decent argument that cave paintings count as "written language", in the sense that they are a recorded form of communication.

That doesn't really make sense

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

poo poo yeah, you could. I mean, a sign that looks like 🚫 has no words in it, but the message is still clear.

🦬🦬🦬 on a cave wall sounds like written language to me, albeit a little basic, but gently caress it, I couldn't have done any better.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Just did some bloodwork, vitamin D came back very low (surprise surprise). How long will it take for my body to get back to a sufficient level of vitamin D if I'm going out in the sun every day for 10-15 minutes with exposed arms, face, legs? Are we talking weeks, or quicker?

Mike Fallopian posted:

It depends on your weight and body fat, as well as how low your levels are. Anywhere from weeks to months is likely.

Good reminder for everyone that vitamin d supplements are basically the only ones that most people should be taking, as it's very easy to end up low on vitamin d in the modern world.

Late response, but the amount of vitamin D you generate from sunlight also depends significantly on your geographic location. When I was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency in 2009, my doctor told me that if you live farther north than the 40-degree latitude line (in the US, that's basically farther north than cities like NYC, Chicago, and Salt Lake City), the sun's rays aren't strong enough between Sept and March for you to produce adequate amounts of vit. D. (I have to assume that your skin tone plays a role in this, too.)

I remember this because I was living in Boston at the time and had previously lived in Montana (both spots north of 40 degrees latitude), and although I regularly spent hours outside on most days of the year, my vitamin D level was close to the point where kids develop rickets.

My doctor prescribed me 50,000 IU of vitamin D, taken once a week, for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, my levels were on the low side of normal. Since my levels have dropped low enough to need that prescription 3-4 times over the years, I just take a 5,000 IU supplement every day now and that's been working fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

That doesn't really make sense

Perhaps not, depending on how prescriptive you are about what "written language" is. I'm using a very broad definition here: it is recorded and it communicates. For example, someone from the same culture might look at a painting and get the message "we were out hunting and got surprised by a bear, and now this guy only has one arm."

Keep in mind that, by my understanding, early written language had extremely vague syntax and grammar. There was a lot of interpreting going on. So if you're basing your definition of "written language" on some bar of clarity or precision, you may be artificially excluding things that are the precursors of the stuff you accept as "written language". I can well believe (lacking evidence to the contrary) that there's a smooth causal lineage from early paintings through to pictographs, cuneiform, and other more widespread writings.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rabbit Hill posted:

Late response, but the amount of vitamin D you generate from sunlight also depends significantly on your geographic location. When I was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency in 2009, my doctor told me that if you live farther north than the 40-degree latitude line (in the US, that's basically farther north than cities like NYC, Chicago, and Salt Lake City), the sun's rays aren't strong enough between Sept and March for you to produce adequate amounts of vit. D. (I have to assume that your skin tone plays a role in this, too.)

I wonder if there's a correlation between rates of vitamin D deficiency and spooky black metal music.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Perhaps not, depending on how prescriptive you are about what "written language" is. I'm using a very broad definition here: it is recorded and it communicates. For example, someone from the same culture might look at a painting and get the message "we were out hunting and got surprised by a bear, and now this guy only has one arm."

Keep in mind that, by my understanding, early written language had extremely vague syntax and grammar. There was a lot of interpreting going on. So if you're basing your definition of "written language" on some bar of clarity or precision, you may be artificially excluding things that are the precursors of the stuff you accept as "written language". I can well believe (lacking evidence to the contrary) that there's a smooth causal lineage from early paintings through to pictographs, cuneiform, and other more widespread writings.

But how do you distinguish between visual art and writiting then? I am by no means an expert on the development of early writing, but I think a key step is abstraction, that the symbol that looks like a cow begins to stand for things other than "cow", and that secondary meaning is communicated systematically. Obviously there's a gray area, but I don't think it's illuminative to extend the idea of writing to something which we in our cultural context would not consider linguistic communication.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

your username checks out at least.

One of the points in differentiating between iconographic communication and written language is that it's even more of an abstraction from the content to the message. These weird little lines you're looking at don't look anything like the point I'm making visually, but they communicate meaning nonetheless. Art communicates something, absolutely, and there is almost certainly a through-line from art to writing in the same way that there's a through-line from animal vocalizations to language. It's not prescriptive to point out that there's a difference in how the words are commonly used. It's also fine to make up your own definition, as you have here, and talk about it - it's an interesting point - but you're using words that have an agreed upon meaning to do so, so you should expect some push back.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Y’all are way overthinking this.

Simply declare the smudges on the cave wall to be orthography and outside the scope of linguistics.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 18, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I would argue (non expertly) that a quality that would distinguish written language from artistic narrative, is productiveness, i.e. the ability to form infinite new messages from a finite set of symbols. Cave art would not fit this, though it surely had some hand in the development of more productive symbols. (This is also one of the qualities that linguists use to distinguish human language from animal communication)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

alnilam posted:

I would argue (non expertly) that a quality that would distinguish written language from artistic narrative, is productiveness, i.e. the ability to form infinite new messages from a finite set of symbols.

do logographic chinese or egyptian characters meet this criteria?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yes, they can be (and are) strung together to form an infinite number of possible messages, but a painting of a hunting trip with a bear attack cannot be used to tell additional stories without inventing additional symbols.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If anything, we clearly need there to be some kind of difference between language and decoration. cave paintings seem to be decoration to me, same with most clothing and sculpture.

I don’t have a good definition of language other than it should probably be operational somehow. It needs to be able to tell someone to do something.

This whole discussion reminds me of Ursula K. LeGuin’s Carrier Bag Theory of Fiction

Here’s a version of it https://otherfutures.nl/uploads/documents/le-guin-the-carrier-bag-theory-of-fiction.pdf

quote:

Fifteen hours a week for subsistence leaves a lot of time for other things. So much time that maybe the restless ones who didn't have a baby around to enliven their life, or skill in making or cooking or singing, or very interesting thoughts to think, decided to slope off and hunt mammoths. The skillful hunters then would come staggering back with a load of meat, a lot of ivory, and a story. It wasn't the meat that made the difference. It was the story.

It is hard to tell a really gripping tale of how I wrested a wild-oat seed from its husk, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then I scratched my gnat bites, and Ool said something funny, and we went to the creek and got a drink and watched newts for a while, and then I found another patch of oats.... No, it does not compare, it cannot compete with how I thrust my spear deep into the titanic hairy flank white Oob, impaled on one huge sweeping tusk, writhed screaming, and blood spouted everywhere in crimson torrents, and Boob was crushed to jelly when the mammoth fell on him as I shot my unerring arrow straight through eye to brain.

That story not only has Action, it has a Hero. Heroes are powerful. Before you know it, the men and women in the wild-oat patch and their kids and the skills of the makers and the thoughts of the thoughtful and the songs of the singers are all part of it, have all been pressed into service in the tale of the Hero. But it isn't their story. It's his.

When she was planning the book that ended up as Three Guineas, Virginia Woolf wrote a heading in her notebook, "Glossary"; she had thought of reinventing English according to a new plan, in order to tell a different story. One of the entries in this glossary is heroism, defined as "botulism." And hero, in Woolf's dictionary, is "bottle." The hero as bottle, a stringent reevaluation. I now propose the bottle as hero.

Not just the bottle of gin or wine, but bottle in its older sense of container in general, a thing that holds something else.

If you haven't got something to put it in, food will escape you--even something as uncombative and unresourceful as an oat. You put as many as you can into your stomach while they are handy, that being the primary container; but what about tomorrow morning when you wake up and it's cold and raining and wouldn't it be good to have just a few handfuls of oats to chew on and give little Oom to make her shut up, but how do you get more than one stomachful and one handful home? So you get up and go to the damned soggy oat patch in the rain, and wouldn't it be a good thing if you had something to put Baby Oo Oo in so that you could pick the oats with both hands? A leaf a gourd a shell a net a bag a sling a sack a bottle a pot a box a container. A holder. A recipient.

Which is fun to think about at least.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

But how do you distinguish between visual art and writiting then? I am by no means an expert on the development of early writing, but I think a key step is abstraction, that the symbol that looks like a cow begins to stand for things other than "cow", and that secondary meaning is communicated systematically. Obviously there's a gray area, but I don't think it's illuminative to extend the idea of writing to something which we in our cultural context would not consider linguistic communication.

(and Captain Monkey said something similar)

By my understanding some of our earliest "writing" was just simplified icons of real-world things. Like, if you're a merchant and you traded 10 chickens for another merchant's goat, you might have a clay ball made with 10 chicken stamps and your personal mark on one side, and 1 goat stamp and the other guy's mark on the other side, to record the trade. This isn't a generative language which can produce a wide range of meanings, but it can communicate an awful lot of useful stuff in terms of trading.

My experience with software indicates that you can get an awful lot accomplished with a very limited symbol set; you may not be able to do everything*, but you can still find significant value. Hell, I made a small domain-specific language for my videogame, and I intentionally made it not be a "complete" language. Every time I needed to express a new concept, it was easier to add a new symbol to the language (which I then taught the core program to interpret) than it was to make the language complicated enough to express that concept internally. It wouldn't surprise me if the development of early written languages proceeded similarly...but of course I don't know.

If there's anyone reading this with an actual background in archaeo-linguistics, a) I'm sorry for all this baseless speculation, and b) I'd love to hear what you have to say!

* does Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem apply to the concepts a language can express?

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 18, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

(and Captain Monkey said something similar)

By my understanding some of our earliest "writing" was just simplified icons of real-world things. Like, if you're a merchant and you traded 10 chickens for another merchant's goat, you might have a clay ball made with 10 chicken stamps and your personal mark on one side, and 1 goat stamp and the other guy's mark on the other side, to record the trade. This isn't a generative language which can produce a wide range of meanings, but it can communicate an awful lot of useful stuff in terms of trading.

My experience with software indicates that you can get an awful lot accomplished with a very limited symbol set; you may not be able to do everything*, but you can still find significant value. Hell, I made a small domain-specific language for my videogame, and I intentionally made it not be a "complete" language. Every time I needed to express a new concept, it was easier to add a new symbol to the language (which I then taught the core program to interpret) than it was to make the language complicated enough to express that concept internally. It wouldn't surprise me if the development of early written languages proceeded similarly...but of course I don't know.

If there's anyone reading this with an actual background in archaeo-linguistics, a) I'm sorry for all this baseless speculation, and b) I'd love to hear what you have to say!

* does Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem apply to the concepts a language can express?

(chicken ten times) = (goat) is still a lot more 'language' than a picture of a specific thing that happened. Even the language you're making is using new symbols to mean new things, and combining them in new ways in the way that a single piece of art simply isn't. You can't recreate that tableau in a new setting and have it mean something else in the same way that even icons can be recreated and moved into new meaning. Context, grammar, and meaning are all needed for language.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The Wikipedia article on the history of writing is a pretty good read

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No. Goedel's theorems are specifically about formal systems that can model arithmetic. They're unrelated to discussions on linguistics.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tuyop posted:

If anything, we clearly need there to be some kind of difference between language and decoration. cave paintings seem to be decoration to me, same with most clothing and sculpture.
Even if cave paintings aren't language per se, I find it hard to imagine they're all as devoid of message or narrative as the word decoration suggests.

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
I don't think a useful definition of language includes paintings, all types of art have messages and often narratives.

They're proof of intelligence and communication but they don't do much for reconstructing any kind of spoken language, which I expect is older than the 64,000 years of the oldest known cave painting.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Incidentally, the Science, Academics and Languages subforum has a linguistics thread, which recently had some discussion about old (but not oldest) writing.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
This is not a place of honor. These are not decorations. This is not a language.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

alnilam posted:

I would argue (non expertly) that a quality that would distinguish written language from artistic narrative, is productiveness, i.e. the ability to form infinite new messages from a finite set of symbols. Cave art would not fit this, though it surely had some hand in the development of more productive symbols. (This is also one of the qualities that linguists use to distinguish human language from animal communication)

Cave art can encode the message of "N deer" for arbitrary N.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont think there is any way to identify a "first language". i think most likely, family groups began vocalizing/gesturing to each other and developed their own internal languages and some of them spread while others died out, and i would bet that this happened fairly simultaneously across multiple areas, i doubt there was one specific group that came up with it first.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Some cave paintings may indeed have been (or included) a type of writing system - see https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/cave-painting-calendar-earliest-writing/ and https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...6FE857840B4FE19 - markings on the various animals might have communicated life cycles and how they related to the seasons (this animal has babies in spring, this one in fall, whatever).

It's a neat story too, bunch of the work was done by an amateur, and it only got published a few months ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earwicker posted:

i dont think there is any way to identify a "first language".

James IV of Scotland will have your head for this.

It’s Hebrew.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Leave posted:

The Royal Institute has a pretty good video on the evolution of pictograms to cuneiform.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The gently caress is thins thing on my thumb? I thought it was a tiny splinter or something but I don't see anything and it's not changing in appearance at all. A bit more visible after it's been in the water for a bit though, otherwise it's a bit less prominent.

Very mildly :nms: if you're easily grossed out I suppose
https://i.imgur.com/91E7duIl.jpg

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mobby_6kl posted:

The gently caress is thins thing on my thumb? I thought it was a tiny splinter or something but I don't see anything and it's not changing in appearance at all. A bit more visible after it's been in the water for a bit though, otherwise it's a bit less prominent.

Very mildly :nms: if you're easily grossed out I suppose
https://i.imgur.com/91E7duIl.jpg

Looks like maybe a wart to me

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If a cannonball was fired at me, and I had perfect aim, and could strike it anywhere I want, would I be able to put counterspin on it with a gun by firing at it, or change it's trajectory with a small caliber bullet.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does anyone recognize these collapsible milk crates and have any idea where to get them not 3 at a time and not for $46 each and not from uline:
https://www.uline.com/BL_313/Milk-Crates

It is only this very specific model I'm interested, not any of the other million collapsible milkcrates on amazon. My dad has had one probably my whole life, I've had one for years, they really hold up well and I'm trying to find one or two more. The only markings on mine are MADE IN USA on the bottom. Google lens is what got me to the ULine site but I can't find them anywhere else. I've searched my email for every folding collapsible crate related keyword I can think of and cant find where I ordered mine from. Surely there is some magic word or brand name that will help me find them but my google-fu is weak.

E: found a manufacturers name on it but they seem to be defunct. :rip: a Euro crate seems to be pretty similar dimensions

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 19, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

If a cannonball was fired at me, and I had perfect aim, and could strike it anywhere I want, would I be able to put counterspin on it with a gun by firing at it, or change it's trajectory with a small caliber bullet.

No. You either directly hit it with the bullet, in which case the cannonball overwhelms the mass of the bullet, or you rely on friction to attempt to alter the trajectory of the ball, and bullets lack the necessary mass to alter that either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Imagine a cannonball balanced on a point, and you try to spin it with your hand. It takes effort (=energy), because the cannonball is heavy. Bullets don't actually have all that much kinetic energy to them, which means that they can't really alter the motion of other objects very well. Movies that show people getting knocked backwards by bullets are, as usual, just faking things.

Machine Gun Jetpack goes into some of the details involved in using bullets to impart motion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair I was under the impression that people showing knockback from bullets was more about a physical shock reaction as opposed to the pure force of the projectile.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Been playing Like A Dragon: Ishin! lately? :yeah:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I get anxiety when taking prescribed meds cause of a bad experience in the past. Has anyone ever been prescribed Vitamin D3 at 50,000 IU? I had very low levels from a blood test and the doc told me it's common practice to megadose one capsule a week for a few weeks. I can't help but get worried at the thought of taking such a large dose, even though I know it will be fine. I feel like I'll start getting weird side effects immediately after taking one pill.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Qubee posted:

I get anxiety when taking prescribed meds cause of a bad experience in the past. Has anyone ever been prescribed Vitamin D3 at 50,000 IU? I had very low levels from a blood test and the doc told me it's common practice to megadose one capsule a week for a few weeks. I can't help but get worried at the thought of taking such a large dose, even though I know it will be fine. I feel like I'll start getting weird side effects immediately after taking one pill.

Here you go

Mayo clinic posted:

Taking 60,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day.

Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame. Blood levels should be monitored while someone is taking high doses of vitamin D.
(bolding mine)

Not a doctor etc and you should generally not trust internet medical advice, but be picky about your sources if you must, and Mayo clinic's website tends to be a decent source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Okay I feel a lot better about taking the prescribed capsules now. Thanks. I'll just get another blood test in 4 weeks or something. Or I might go back to the doctor tomorrow and ask him for a weaker dose lol