Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yep, it's like a pause button on that questline. The inevitable Imperial victory can only be delayed for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Yep, it's like a pause button on that questline. The inevitable Imperial Thalmor victory can only be delayed for so long

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ThaumPenguin posted:

You mean the truce you can set up during the main quest? It's mutually agreed to only last until the fall of Alduin and/or the end of the dragon crisis. Hostilities ensue immediately upon the end of the main quest.

Oh. so the best thing would be just do what most people do, and not finish the main quest than? I mean it's not like Alduin every actually follows through on his whole "I'm totally gonna eat the world" thing.

The lazy bastard.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ES6 will read the Skyrim save file on your computer and the plot flags for how you ended the Civil War questline to determine its worldstate for Skyrim when you start a new save file. If you don't have Skyrim or haven't finished the main quest, you can't start ES6 because the world ended. If you haven't finished the Civil War questline, Skyrim has been deadlocked in a Korean War-style stalemate for 50 years.

There will be $60 DLC available at launch that is just a completed Skyrim save file with a barebones editor to alter plot flags how you like them.

:v:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
M'aiq has had many strangers ask him who won the civil war in skyrim two hundred years ago. M'aiq asks, why? Did any of you fight in it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clearly Skyrim will have exploded in the meantime rendering the issue of who won the civil war a few hundred years ago irrelevant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bethesda has been acquired by Games Workshop. Nirn has exploded, and Skyrim is just one of many islands of reality floating in Oblivion.

The Blades are now called Skysword Dragonreavers and the Dark Brotherhood are now the Shroudblade Shadowknives.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zereth posted:

Clearly Skyrim will have exploded in the meantime rendering the issue of who won the civil war a few hundred years ago irrelevant.

Everything in Tamriel has exploded and put to ruins many decades ago, other than one small village of about ten villages who never leave town, so they have yet to notice what has been happening in the rest of Tamriel or that it has effectively ceased to be.

The games main quest line will be ridding the villages gardens of the new and terrifying scourge of weeds, that have become a bit of a bother of late. You become the head of the local dark brotherhood chapter when you brutally and mercilessly assassinate that rat that's been getting in the flour recently.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Knives isn't trademarkable enough.

Shadowknyvzen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Oh. so the best thing would be just do what most people do, and not finish the main quest than? I mean it's not like Alduin every actually follows through on his whole "I'm totally gonna eat the world" thing.

The lazy bastard.
Didn't he ignore his duty of eating the world and decide to rule it and be worshipped instead?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yes and the moment Alduin finds himself propelled into the fourth era, he goes to find and resurrect his fellow dragons. That is something he would not need to do to fulfill his mythic duty as World-Eater, he's bringing back his supporters to do it all again.

Funnily enough, the very first dragon he senses, turns out to be you.

e: It's my personal belief that the Aedra created The Last Dragonborn specifically to beat some sense and humility into Alduin. That boy won't Eat.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 14, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

reignofevil posted:

M'aiq has had many strangers ask him who won the civil war in skyrim two hundred years ago. M'aiq asks, why? Did any of you fight in it?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: It's my personal belief that the Aedra created The Last Dragonborn specifically to beat some sense and humility into Alduin. That boy won't Eat.

Lol at the big Mythic plot of Skyrim being a divine version of that scene in A Christmas Story where they try and get Randy to eat the meatloaf

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I fully expect the actual Civil War resolution to be the new Emperor threw the White-Gold Concordat in the trash so Skyrim remained in the Empire, with some concessions.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
As an elf fan I'm hoping the empire of Tiber Septim is gone and we get a new elvish empire in TES VI.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As long as it's not run by the Thalmor. Or if it is, we get to spend the main plot murdering them.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The worst quest in Skyrim is A Daedra's Best Friend because Bethesda thought following a dog with awful pathfinding a long way across the map was a good idea. I tried to do the quest as intended and he just got permanently stuck in Helgen. Eventually just gave up and fast traveled to the destination which I had already completely cleared for some companions quest I think.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I loaded up Morrowind and gave it an actual, serious shot for the first time since before 2010. I have forgotten so much about the game, including the fact that if you just do the main quest a bit you can find staff that takes care of all your levitation problems for you. I don't remember if I ever actually discovered the Wizard's Staff before, but now that I have it along with the Boots of Blinding Speed, I'm flying all over the Ashlands like a drunken netch. It makes me so sad they removed Levitation as an effect in Skyrim.

Along with that, I had completely suppressed that while Morrowind doesn't have a fast travel system it totally DOES have a fast travel system with all the scrolls, the silt striders, and the mark/recall spell, and it's so much more interesting than just being able to open your map and click on an icon to go somewhere. All in all, the game is a poo poo ton of fun once you get your skills up and running a bit and you have a couple of items that make traveling so much easier.

It's still bullshit they include items priced in the tens of thousands while most merchants have, at max, probably 1500 bucks on them at any given time. I know the scamp and mudcrab merchants exist, but those feel more like easter eggs than anything else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Flowing Thot posted:

The worst quest in Skyrim is A Daedra's Best Friend because Bethesda thought following a dog with awful pathfinding a long way across the map was a good idea. I tried to do the quest as intended and he just got permanently stuck in Helgen. Eventually just gave up and fast traveled to the destination which I had already completely cleared for some companions quest I think.
I haven't done this quest yet on my current playthrough, but I remember it being very annoying. The dog shows up and kinda makes you drop everything to do this quest, which is really not something that Skyrim normally does.

Now the really annoying thing is that I have this stupid loving magic dagger in my inventory, and I can't get rid of it until I train Alteration to 90%.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lucas Archer posted:

I loaded up Morrowind and gave it an actual, serious shot for the first time since before 2010. I have forgotten so much about the game, including the fact that if you just do the main quest a bit you can find staff that takes care of all your levitation problems for you. I don't remember if I ever actually discovered the Wizard's Staff before, but now that I have it along with the Boots of Blinding Speed, I'm flying all over the Ashlands like a drunken netch. It makes me so sad they removed Levitation as an effect in Skyrim.
They removed it in oblivion.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Lucas Archer posted:

Along with that, I had completely suppressed that while Morrowind doesn't have a fast travel system it totally DOES have a fast travel system with all the scrolls, the silt striders, and the mark/recall spell, and it's so much more interesting than just being able to open your map and click on an icon to go somewhere. All in all, the game is a poo poo ton of fun once you get your skills up and running a bit and you have a couple of items that make traveling so much easier.

It's still bullshit they include items priced in the tens of thousands while most merchants have, at max, probably 1500 bucks on them at any given time. I know the scamp and mudcrab merchants exist, but those feel more like easter eggs than anything else.

Morrowind has a great set of game systems, they're just loving obtuse and not well-explained or intuitive. The thing that gets me is Fatigue (in general) and To Hit chance. If you have 50 in your weapon skill (and you can start with that) and attack while your Fatigue bar is full, you will hit any early-game enemy. (I think. Been a while since I checked the math.)

But people ignore Fatigue, run everywhere, and wonder why they can't hit anything. Skyrim's system, where Stamina is just your melee attack power resource, matches how people want to treat it a lot better.

(It's me, I'm the madman who embraces Morrowind's Fatigue system. I use a mod that makes being at low Fatigue worse, and I think this makes the game better.)

Have you found the propylon network?

Zereth posted:

They removed it in oblivion.

They removed it in Tribunal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

Always always pick the "I have things to do" dialog option.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vavrek posted:

:hmmyes: precious little city with its districts. A precursor to the Imperial City, really.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Vavrek posted:

Morrowind has a great set of game systems, they're just loving obtuse and not well-explained or intuitive. The thing that gets me is Fatigue (in general) and To Hit chance. If you have 50 in your weapon skill (and you can start with that) and attack while your Fatigue bar is full, you will hit any early-game enemy. (I think. Been a while since I checked the math.)

But people ignore Fatigue, run everywhere, and wonder why they can't hit anything. Skyrim's system, where Stamina is just your melee attack power resource, matches how people want to treat it a lot better.

(It's me, I'm the madman who embraces Morrowind's Fatigue system. I use a mod that makes being at low Fatigue worse, and I think this makes the game better.)

Yeah I always feel like people that complain about the Morrowind combat are just building their characters wrong and don't understand how it works.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Flowing Thot posted:

Are you referring to Barbas? I myself would be reluctant to complete that questline, but the max-difficulty completionist playthrough I've been watching uses the dog successfully to tank enemies. It's surprisingly effective. Like, sometimes he gets lost and his absence is definitely noticeable in combat. Especially if the other companion is also lost.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah I always feel like people that complain about the Morrowind combat are just building their characters wrong and don't understand how it works.

I mean when I first played it I didn't know how it worked but it also didn't tell me.

I just murdered crabs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

Don’t forget the propylon indexes for fast travel as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vavrek posted:

I know how fatigue works in Morrowind, I just hate it. It wouldn't be so bad if your base movement rate wasn't so slow, either. So you have an important "immersive choice" to make: either you spend a million years walking like a lame turtle to get somewhere or you whiff everything you try to do - spells included! - when you get there. Or you break the game by using alchemy to get infinite stamina regeneration for hours and/or the Boots of Blinding Speed + a 1-sec 100% resist magic spell and you don't give a poo poo. It's dumb. If my sword is in something's eye, I want it to hit, and gently caress some die roll telling me I'm flailing ineffectually. That's fine in a pure turn-based RPG where I have no influence over my direct aiming, but in an ARPG like Elder Scrolls it can gently caress right off. And it has no business affecting my magic, which has its own separate resource bar to manage, which determines success or failure. Hell, it'd be better if fatigue affected damage, not hit rate, IMO.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Commander Keene posted:

I know how fatigue works in Morrowind, I just hate it. It wouldn't be so bad if your base movement rate wasn't so slow, either. So you have an important "immersive choice" to make: either you spend a million years walking like a lame turtle to get somewhere or you whiff everything you try to do - spells included! - when you get there. Or you break the game by using alchemy to get infinite stamina regeneration for hours and/or the Boots of Blinding Speed + a 1-sec 100% resist magic spell and you don't give a poo poo. It's dumb.
The third option is you can buy an amulet that restores your stamina for like eight dollars. You can run everywhere, then when the combat music starts playing, just duck behind a rock and *zheeeoooo* *zheeeoooo* *zheeeoooo* full stamina.

Vavrek posted:

:agreed:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I played a Kajiit so I couldn't wear the boots :(

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Commander Keene posted:

I know how fatigue works in Morrowind, I just hate it. It wouldn't be so bad if your base movement rate wasn't so slow, either. So you have an important "immersive choice" to make: either you spend a million years walking like a lame turtle to get somewhere or you whiff everything you try to do - spells included! - when you get there. Or you break the game by using alchemy to get infinite stamina regeneration for hours and/or the Boots of Blinding Speed + a 1-sec 100% resist magic spell and you don't give a poo poo. It's dumb. If my sword is in something's eye, I want it to hit, and gently caress some die roll telling me I'm flailing ineffectually. That's fine in a pure turn-based RPG where I have no influence over my direct aiming, but in an ARPG like Elder Scrolls it can gently caress right off. And it has no business affecting my magic, which has its own separate resource bar to manage, which determines success or failure. Hell, it'd be better if fatigue affected damage, not hit rate, IMO.
Isn't Fatigue affecting damage how it worked in Oblivion?

I spent a while thinking about this (clearly) a while ago and what I came to was that it's a budgetary problem. What's deeply frustrating about missing in Morrowind is that you can see your sword hitting the target. You can see it! Right there! The gently caress is wrong, game, that wasn't a wiff, I hit them!

You don't hear it. They indicate hits/misses by the sound cues, right? Sound cues are a hell of a lot cheaper than having different animations, which would be my ideal for how to depict Morrowind's combat system without actually changing the internal rules.

Hating how Fatigue works in Morrowind is fine.

My last major playthroughs of the game, I didn't completely break things, so much as just ... try to counter stuff at its own level? Running drains 5 Fatigue per second, and you naturally regenerate at least 3.1 per second, so if you can keep a spell of Restore Fatigue 2 points for X seconds running, you don't tire while running. Made a custom spell of Restore Fatigue for like 2 or 3 points, used it to practice Restoration.

(looking at that page: I habitually take The Lady, and I might've tagged Endurance at the start, giving my dude a starting Endurance of 75, so Restore Fatigue 2 points for 10 seconds would let him restore 10 points of Fatigue while running.)

edited to add:

Commander Keene posted:

And it has no business affecting my magic, which has its own separate resource bar to manage, which determines success or failure.
I just noticed the last part of this sentence and it took me a moment to grasp what you meant. Magicka determines ability or inability. Like, even if you just take Fatigue out of the skill roll for casting a spell, Magicka still isn't in that roll, right? Casting a spell that costs 15 has the same chance whether you're at 30 or 60 Magicka. (And the same chance whether you're at 5 or 10.)

:hfive:

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 19, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like we're just talking about different ways to ignore the fatigue system as presented in Morrowind. Yeah, I might have been hyperbolic in saying your choices are "break the game or suck" but the options are still "break the fatigue system or suck". We're both still turning it into a combat resource, like Skyrim does, but the difference here is that Skyrim doesn't make you consume other resources to do so.

At its core, Morrowind is a game that rewards a very groggy level of system mastery. Everything from alchemy to combat to stats to even fast travel is complex and full of secret paths to success that the game doesn't really communicate very well in its like 5-second tutorial when you get off the boat in Seyda Neen. What I don't like about that is when the reward for system mastery is something that seems like basic functionality in other games, like hitting in combat or casting spells successfully.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like we're just talking about different ways to ignore the fatigue system as presented in Morrowind. Yeah, I might have been hyperbolic in saying your choices are "break the game or suck" but the options are still "break the fatigue system or suck". We're both still turning it into a combat resource, like Skyrim does, but the difference here is that Skyrim doesn't make you consume other resources to do so.

At its core, Morrowind is a game that rewards a very groggy level of system mastery. Everything from alchemy to combat to stats to even fast travel is complex and full of secret paths to success that the game doesn't really communicate very well in its like 5-second tutorial when you get off the boat in Seyda Neen. What I don't like about that is when the reward for system mastery is something that seems like basic functionality in other games, like hitting in combat or casting spells successfully.

Skyrim does heavily punish mages in similar ways to Morrowind punishing people with stamina. In Skyrim if you are out of stamina as a melee user you keep on fighting with very little reduction in ability. You run out of magicka which regens extremely slowly in combat by design you are hosed hope you brought some potions.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
skyrim punishes mages by making magic poo poo

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Conjuration is ok if you want a pair of screaming dremora to play the game for you (and, honestly, I do)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Conjuration is ok if you want a pair of screaming dremora to play the game for you (and, honestly, I do)

Yeah I probably should have specified "Destruction magic". Everything else has something worthwhile (even if Conjuration was still better in the previous games) but with the complete lack of scaling the entire Destruction perk tree is worthless outside of using the element buffs to enhance your enchantment damage. I do not know what they were thinking when they decided that every Destruction+ buff outside of potions should only decrease cost. And even if you make super strong potions for Destructions with a broken alchemy setup you could use the same amount of effort boosting anything else for greater effect.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Flowing Thot posted:

Skyrim does heavily punish mages in similar ways to Morrowind punishing people with stamina. In Skyrim if you are out of stamina as a melee user you keep on fighting with very little reduction in ability. You run out of magicka which regens extremely slowly in combat by design you are hosed hope you brought some potions.
I mean, there's no shortage of problems with Skyrim and Morrowind did stuff right, too, I'm just talking about this specific instance of how the stamina system works in both games. In fact, the fatigue system in Morrowind punishes mages more heavily than warriors, because if you whiff an attack you can just... attack again, you haven't expended anything other than time. If you whiff a spellcast because your stamina is too low, you've wasted the Magicka cost of the spell.

And in Morrowind Magicka doesn't regenerate at all, except for sleeping IIRC, so it's even more restrictive than Skyrim in that regard too.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Yeah I guess I am just mad about Skyrim loving over mages more than comparing it to Morrowind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah I guess I am just mad about Skyrim loving over mages more than comparing it to Morrowind.
Last time I played skyrim, and I'm not sure how much the balance mods in the modpack I was using affected things, but I started as a mage and ended up trying to fight something difficult but out of reach of me, and after running out of mana several times I resorted to the shittiest bow and shittiest arrows in the game I had on me with rock bottom archery skill and it was way more effective. :negative: Destruction is awful. Magic was okay for patching myself up or things like that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

One more time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ix0_W-ouI