Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm so sorry Sydin, my heart absolutely goes out to you. Socks' time last year came similarly out of nowhere, though she was older and on kidney diet food so it wasn't quite the same.

It's so hard to say goodbye to your furry loved ones and I'm tearing up writing things just thinking about it, but I think it's the final act of love we can give them because they don't really know what's going on. And you were there with them till the very end and I'm sure that was so comforting for your kitty.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm so sorry about Mel and about your cat, HK. We lost an 8-year-old cat that way, to the same sort of very sudden "something looks weird -> very sick, probably cancer, nothing to be done" illness, and it's such a heartbreak. Thank you both for doing what you could for them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rest in peace Mel :(

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My heart goes out to both of you. We suddenly lost one of ours last year and even though he was 15, it still sucked. Give someone or something all the hugs and tears you need.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Thanks everyone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks all for the kind words, and Hand Knit I'm sorry to hear about your kitty as well.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm so sorry Sydin and Hand Knit. It's so hard to think about and I do think people tend to downplay how much loosing our pets hurts.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for your loss, both of you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Horrible news, heartbroken for both of you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm so, so sorry Hand Knit; my condolences Sydin, she looks lovely in the pictures.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 18, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Quote/edit

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sometimes i get angry at my cat for waking me up at 4:30am but then i remember he is a cat and i am the only person who can give him food and cuddles

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
So I changed Pazuzu's litter out today. It's the same brand but a new bag. And now she's sitting outside the litter box, digging and pulling litter out? I can't tell if she's trying to get my attention or she's playing or she's just being a weirdo. She's peed in the new stuff already as well and there's no inappropriate leavings anywhere. So what the gently caress? Is it just too deep for her liking?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HellOnEarth posted:

So I changed Pazuzu's litter out today. It's the same brand but a new bag. And now she's sitting outside the litter box, digging and pulling litter out? I can't tell if she's trying to get my attention or she's playing or she's just being a weirdo. She's peed in the new stuff already as well and there's no inappropriate leavings anywhere. So what the gently caress? Is it just too deep for her liking?

Its this imo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
my cat has decided he wants to claw my drat legs anytime he's behind me. rude.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My new cat slept against me last night, like stretched out with her body all along my back with her face tucked into my neck. It was adorable, but after a awhile, and before I got too sleepy, I moved her down to my feet because I'm always afraid I'll roll over on a cat that's against my torso.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My defense against that is snoring. Cat will snuggle near my head until I start to fall asleep and the noise starts, so she gets up and curls by my feet.

And proceeds to take up more and more bed through the night until I'm contorting my legs to give her room.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

And proceeds to take up more and more bed through the night until I'm contorting my legs to give her room.

:hmmyes:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat also always sleeps by my feet and I don't snore or roll. Maybe cats just love feet :thunk:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Jack B Nimble posted:

My new cat slept against me last night, like stretched out with her body all along my back with her face tucked into my neck. It was adorable, but after a awhile, and before I got too sleepy, I moved her down to my feet because I'm always afraid I'll roll over on a cat that's against my torso.

My cat cuddles me like a teddy bear. She walks to my pillow, waits for me to lift the sheets, walks in, turns around, and collapses with her back or head against my face. It's the best, do not discourage it. *note: I do not turn much in my sleep*

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
My cat usually wants to sleep near me and will mix it up between in the bed with me, flat against my back or in between my legs. I roll around a lot but that’s her problem not mine

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat snoozes by me until I fall asleep and then she'll retire to either a quilt that I've folded on a nearby shelf for her (where she can peek at me during the night) or the futon in the room just outside my bedroom. When she hears my alarm go off, she comes sprinting into the room, flops down next to me, and starts slow blinking until I pet her. This has 0% to do with food because she has a timed auto-feeder and has never learned to associate me waking up with food.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My cats come and cuddle on the bed/stand on me and my husband til we turn the lights off, then usually Loki leaves to go sleep on the sofa and Cinnamon hops into her radiator hammock next to the bed where she can glare at us all night/until 4am meowtime. Sometimes she stays on the bed, but only by my feet. I wish she'd cuddle by my head/under the duvet but I roll around a lot and she doesn't like that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
mine hangs out next to me/on my chest awhile and then also usually moves to feet or knees etc later as well. like if I side sleep he'll hang out behind my knees.

I also feel like I move too much and worry I may hurt him. good so far though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My current cats sleep with my son or my husband. Not with me. Except during the daytime, when I am acceptable cuddle material.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Had plumbers over to replace our water heater today. The cats were shut in the bedroom the whole time and hid under the covers as soon as they heard strangers. After a couple hours my girl cat came slinking out and after getting used to the weird smells is pretty much back to normal. Boy cat is still hiding under the covers- he came out briefly, was clearly confused and terrified, and immediately ran back into hiding.

Now I’m just crossing my fingers hoping he’s ok, because the last time he hid like this he ended up having a urinary blockage. It was similar circumstances with people coming over, so I don’t know if he’s hiding because stinky strangers or because of pain, or if the stress of having people in the house is literally causing him to get sick. I guess I’ll give him until tonight to adjust and then call the vet for advice if he hasn’t come out to pee.

I love the dumb bastard but I’m never getting a boy cat again, this blockage poo poo is the worst.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Jayne Doe posted:

My cat snoozes by me until I fall asleep and then she'll retire to either a quilt that I've folded on a nearby shelf for her (where she can peek at me during the night) or the futon in the room just outside my bedroom. When she hears my alarm go off, she comes sprinting into the room, flops down next to me, and starts slow blinking until I pet her. This has 0% to do with food because she has a timed auto-feeder and has never learned to associate me waking up with food.

:hfive:

My cat also has had the auto-feeder since day one and never learned that association, and it is the absolute loving best idea I have ever had. She never wakes us up, ever. But she always sleeps/hangs out near me or my partner while we sleep, and comes running if she's making mischief somewhere else in the apartment when we do get up. It's nice to know she does that despite having zero incentive (that she's aware of) to be my friend.

We all joke about cats just loving us for the food, but that's absolutely not the case. You do not need to be the Food Bringer for the sake of bonding points, folks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My childhood cat died last night. She was 15. Apparently had cancer in her intestines and started vomiting and they had to put her down when my dad got her to the vet.

I'm gonna miss her, even if she never forgave me for moving out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My childhood cat died last night. She was 15. Apparently had cancer in her intestines and started vomiting and they had to put her down when my dad got her to the vet.

I'm sorry :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I’m sorry to hear :( I have a cat with probable intestine-cancer (small cell lymphoma) if not simply IBD, he’s almost 14 years old. It’s a difficult time, but it’s amazing that cats manage to get to this age in the first place, especially with the comforts we can give them. That helps me keep going.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've noticed one of my cats drooling more often. He's always done it a bit, but this time I found him perched up high in a favoured spot with a strand of saliva dangling from his mouth.

Should I be worried?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If it happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's more than once, but not very often, I'd ask the vet about it at the next checkup. If it's very often, or accompanied by other concerning symptoms, that's definitely vet time.

Drooling can be a sign of some bad conditions, but it can also happen for no reason in particular.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats drools whenever he purrs, and rubs his face all over me.

If it's a normal thing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he's doing it WAY more than usual, maybe it's vet time, yeah.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I am sorry to hear this... 15 years is a very good life for a cat and it sounds like you loved her for every one of those years. I wish that we could subtract years from our human life and donate it to our cats.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 29, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've got one of our cats Pavlovian conditioned, open the treat container and there's gonna be a puddle of drool on the floor. She fuckin loves treats.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hm. He did just have a vet checkup, and he otherwise seems normal. I guess I'll note it down to bring up next checkup

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I wanted to ask some advice here. A person I know had two kittens she was gonna dump at a shelter yesterday unless anyone took them so I did. She had them for a couple of days and while they are peeing, I haven't seen any poops yet. They seem to be in the 5-6 week old range. All their back teeth are in but they're wobbly little dorks. They are able to eat soft food and on the recommendation of my vet over the phone (they can't see them until Tuesday) I am feeding them a kind of slurry of wet food mixed with KMR. They seem to love it and are regularly grazing. But I haven't seen any poops yet. I have tried to stimulate them with a wet bit of toilet paper but they're just not having it.

Not sure if I am worrying too much. My old cat Abby died at 16 last month of digestive issues due to lymphoma so this is bothering me a lot that they're not poopin' yet. Though aside from that they're peeing in the little litter box I put in their crate, and playing with each other and seemingly happy so I don't know.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They'll poop when they're ready bud. Ever had a giant keep watching you while you're in the bathroom?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They'll poop when they're ready bud. Ever had a giant keep watching you while you're in the bathroom?

No but that might be someone's kink.

I just don't know how long is too long and I'm afraid they'll explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NomChompsky posted:

No but that might be someone's kink.

I just don't know how long is too long and I'm afraid they'll explode.

Mother cats lick the kittens' butts to encourage them to poop. You might try that.

use a warm damp cloth on them