Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I knew he wrote a lot of the Bat books, but when I was reading DC 1,000,000, I saw that he was writing Detective, Robin, and Nightwing at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Open Marriage Night posted:

I knew he wrote a lot of the Bat books, but when I was reading DC 1,000,000, I saw that he was writing Detective, Robin, and Nightwing at the same time.

I'll be starting nightwing soon and I have a suspicion it will be good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Early 90's you had Grant, some Moench, Milligan and Dixon. I would put Milligan at the best of those bunch. Artist wise Breyfogle over Aparo just because Breyfogle was so good at doing action and setting. Aparo was a solid enough artist though and was really good at doing more realistic stuff.
Are you going to do Dixon's Robin run?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Early 90's you had Grant, some Moench, Milligan and Dixon. I would put Milligan at the best of those bunch. Artist wise Breyfogle over Aparo just because Breyfogle was so good at doing action and setting. Aparo was a solid enough artist though and was really good at doing more realistic stuff.
Are you going to do Dixon's Robin run?

I'm doing all batman and batman related books since the beginning. I'm you to 1995 now. Milligan stories were so few. It is hard for me to not separate small runs or stories from the long time writers.

The catwoman series is dire

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 12, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Catwoman hold a special place in my heart seeing that I was about 13 years old and it had Balent artwork.

Enjoying the whiplash of quality that was Legends of the Dark Knight?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dixon was always considered 'workmanlike' and 'reliable' than 'good.' His stuff would never blow your doors off but you'd get your twenty-two pages a month and it would be fine. Created Connor Hawke. I think he wrote the first big Dick/Babs kiss, too. If he wasn't so upset about 'the wokes' he'd probably still have mainstream work.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Catwoman hold a special place in my heart seeing that I was about 13 years old and it had Balent artwork.

Enjoying the whiplash of quality that was Legends of the Dark Knight?

Yeah it oscillates wildly.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mr Hootington posted:

Chuck Dixon is one of the greatest batman writers of all time isn't he?

Why is the sword bent?

They use a soft plastic to avoid breaking and stabbing little Timmy’s eye out. It’s not the best, but a few seconds with a hair dryer will fix it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Dixon was always considered 'workmanlike' and 'reliable' than 'good.' His stuff would never blow your doors off but you'd get your twenty-two pages a month and it would be fine. Created Connor Hawke. I think he wrote the first big Dick/Babs kiss, too. If he wasn't so upset about 'the wokes' he'd probably still have mainstream work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/xlzkcp/comics_dixon_dicks_off_how_to_be_so_prudish_and/

This is a pretty solid summary of Dixon's various brainworms and how he approached the characters' interest in the opposite sex or intimacy is probably part of what inspired revealing Tim to be bi and Connor Hawke to be ace.

Even while he was writing he just had some weird animus against anything even approaching intimacy leading to stuff like this:

quote:

PANEL FOUR Canary crouches and holds Oracle to her. Oracle is curled in a fetal position and dripping wet. The more drama you can squeeze from this the better. We’re going for The Pieta as opposed to anything that HINTS of the sexual. This scene is apparently RIPE for misinterpretation (or OVERinterpretation.) by some of our readers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I think a lot of the "workmanlike" writers wrote consistent good stories. There is a reason most stuck around.

I've always enjoyed the output of Giffen, Jurgens, and Nicieza.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/xlzkcp/comics_dixon_dicks_off_how_to_be_so_prudish_and/

This is a pretty solid summary of Dixon's various brainworms and how he approached the characters' interest in the opposite sex or intimacy is probably part of what inspired revealing Tim to be bi and Connor Hawke to be ace.

Even while he was writing he just had some weird animus against anything even approaching intimacy leading to stuff like this:

Lol

Tim and steph 4eva though.

I'm glad the babs and dick relationship hasn't been retconned to have started when dick was robin because lmao if so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's this. Nothing he wrote was outright bad, but nothing was outstanding either. The actual historical meaning of "hack writer."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit 2: through June 1995 I would say Alan Grant is thr best batman writer of all time with Denny o'neill very close. Norm breyfogle, Neal adams or Jim Aparo are the best artist. That is harder to choose.

Honorable mention to my fav comic writer of all time, John Wagner. Co-wrote the early bit of the Grant run. Those two sure wrote some good Dredd together too, all sorts of cool stuff.

For me, I was just thinking if I worked at Newbury Comics or something, I'd always recommend Year One as the go-to Batman book. So Miller for me I suppose. I rate for the highs I guess.

I found Catwoman to be one of the best early 90s DC books, mainly for Balent's art. And it was fun a bit in a time of gritted teeth insanity. Though sure, I enjoy gritted teeth insanity when it's good, especially if it's got noir touches.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 13, 2023

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Norm Breyfogle drew one hell of a Batman cape.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lucifunk posted:

Norm Breyfogle drew one hell of a Batman cape.

Agreed. Second best Batman cape artist. Jones wins for me though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's this. Nothing he wrote was outright bad, but nothing was outstanding either. The actual historical meaning of "hack writer."

And to be perfectly clear, it's fine and good if your main talent is getting in your scripts on time and they are of sufficient quality to make the reader nod their head approvingly and not think about Nightwing until the next issue comes out.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Dawgstar posted:

also once called Dan DiDio "a directionless gladhander with a Ouija board" which was a pretty good burn

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FoneBone posted:

also once called Dan DiDio "a directionless gladhander with a Ouija board" which was a pretty good burn

He was right

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

why did superboy go to namek in this issue?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cartridgeblowers posted:

why did superboy go to namek in this issue?

They’ve got Dragon Balls there, which he can use to bring his main father figure (Piccolo) back to life

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sorry, wrong thread.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 16, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Another month, another great Nightwing! I'd have posted a bunch of the hell's IT department stuff in the funny panels thread but it was across multiple pages and difficult to crop.

DCeased wrapped up today and that was good too! Twas a terrific two Taylor Tuesday!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cyborg talking about getting a hell computer virus was :discourse:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So since reading events on infinity is a chore
What's some good stuff to read that's not the norm?
I enjoyed the Mike Parobeck drawn 90s run of Justice Society shame about his untimely death it's dumb and wholesome

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Upsidads posted:

I enjoyed the Mike Parobeck drawn 90s run of Justice Society shame about his untimely death it's dumb and wholesome

All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc., Blue Devil, Checkmate, Starman, Dr. Fate, L.E.G.I.O.N., Batman: Shadow of the Bat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Check out Ostrander's Spectre and maybe his Firestorm run too. Dr. Fate mentioned above goes some weird interesting places too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A lot of the not main title books of the 80s and 90s were enjoyable comics. A few stinkers scattered *cough*captain atom*cough* around, but grabbing a book and reading it won't usually disappoint.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was a fan of the Mr. Miracle series which is basically "Scott and Barda try to integrate into suburbia."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Upsidads posted:

It might not be "not the norm" enough but I might recommend Batman Black & White. It's an anthology of a bunch of different stories with various writers/artists that doesn't concern itself with continuity at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Deal, all great options I didn't know about. Thank you all

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sigh. Siiiiiigh. Sigh. sigh I'm tired y'all. Y'all, I'm tired.

I've had some high hopes through Cloonan and Conrad's Wonder Woman. I legit enjoyed much of it. But this Lazarus Planet plot...what a low, dreadful storyline to have to cap off this run with. It's the kind of poor creation that kinda mars all the issues before now, makes you question if all the good you'd read from this team beforehand was some kind of wild fluke.

Also I'm so f'ing ready for a story about mythology where it feels like the writer actually likes mythology and has more to say about it than "Gods sure are petty and undeserving of worship, aren't they?"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Never read Blue devil before. I am enjoying it
but does he have the worst origin story?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there stories from before Tim Drake being officially bi that people point to as being hints to it? Like, there's tons of stuff with various X-Men that's obviously queer coded but official Marvel policy at the time was "no gay people," so Kitty is just really good friends with Rachel Summers and Ilyana Rasputin and I just don't know enough about Tim Drake to know if there's similar things

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm not an expert on his character but I know one thing people point to is how hard he took Superboy's death as a potential sign

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm not an expert on his character but I know one thing people point to is how hard he took Superboy's death as a potential sign

Ah gently caress, that would involve reading 90s Titans, wouldn't it? Not putting myself through that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Young Justice and Geoff Johns Teen Titans. Both are various shades of good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Young Justice and Geoff Johns Teen Titans. Both are various shades of good.

Isn't that the era where there's a guy with a face for his body who offers to eat out Miss Martian, and also people keep getting their arms torn off.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't that the era where there's a guy with a face for his body who offers to eat out Miss Martian, and also people keep getting their arms torn off.

No that was Sean McKeever's Teen Titans, though judging by McKeever's other output around the time and comments he's made since, it's debatable how much of that book was actually written by him and how much was effectively ghostwritten by his editors

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the one real eyebrow raising thing in Johns' Titans that usually comes up is how he handled Raven, having her dress in low-rise jeans and get a tramp stamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

What? Lol

Upsidads posted:

Never read Blue devil before. I am enjoying it
but does he have the worst origin story?

No, but he has one of the goofiest. The series is good and if you like it read 80s Blue Beetle.