Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So will they last longer than the ANA and the Iraqi.army we built?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/thonwingp/status/1648240189431750658

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

What's the motivation to visit Australia anyways. Why would you do that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

There are way more than 200 US military in Taiwan. Half of them are tasked with blowing up the TSMC plants when poo poo hits the fan and stuff the key TSMC engineers on a C17 in a mass grave.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SorePotato posted:

wallabies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SorePotato posted:

I assume for asian tourists it's like going to America with a much shorter flight

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SorePotato posted:

you dont know why people would visit a country that has a lot of scenic attractions such as beaches?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

SorePotato posted:

tell me you've never seen Crocodile Dundee, with out telling me

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its not even true. The chinese will bring managers in and some skilled workers but still use local labor and more importantly actually train them on how to build and manage projects like these. The US pays cronies to keep them happy, they skim most of thst money and then nothing gets done.

One thing I wonder is what the working language for such programs is. Do the Chinese have a bunch of skilled workers who speak somali or whatever? Do they just speak English/French? Chinese teachers preceding the work crews?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

SorePotato posted:

get yelled at by your daughter for trying to climb uluru, throw up on the boat to snorkel at the great barrier reef, see some dumb animals, also some wildlife

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm just speculating here, but you'd think that when you have like a billion working age people and a functioning education system you should be able to find people who speak most of the world's major languages

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Austrasia is probably a good place to visit in the winter. Is there any NZ Chinese tourist number we can compared to?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

In Training posted:

I assume for asian tourists it's like going to America with a much shorter flight

Australia is in the middle of fucjing nowhere dude, The flights a bit shorter than flying to western europe or the east coast of the US but not that much shorter. Visas might be easier to get.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you dont know why people would visit a country that has a lot of scenic attractions such as beaches?

goons

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

i'm just speculating here, but you'd think that when you have like a billion working age people and a functioning education system you should be able to find people who speak most of the world's major languages

Foreign language classes in the US are completely worthless, they're a pre requisite in a majority of high schools but the classes are a joke

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
generally speaking, there will be enough english speakers for the chinese foremen to give the work around. It is funny though. The SL port was Rajapakshe doing a big brained play by bringing jobs to his constituency and loving up hilariously.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

After a decade rooting for losers like Cuba and Palestine it feels good to back a winner. That winner is China, or as I call it, "the Dragon of the East".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AnimeIsTrash posted:

there are plenty of beaches elsewhere without australians around tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In Training posted:

it’s not much shorter of a flight than it is to california. it’s still really far away

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there are plenty of beaches elsewhere without australians around tho

funny thing about that. a lot of the nice beaches in southeast asia are infected with drunk australians

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I have black friends who visited Australia who said people were too racist to ever want to go back. can't imagine how bad it is for Asian people. I really liked it though I went in winter and it was a little too cold to really beach

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

indigi posted:

I have black friends who visited Australia who said people were too racist to ever want to go back. can't imagine how bad it is for Asian people. I really liked it though I went in winter and it was a little too cold to really beach

It's apparently less awful than a couple years ago : only 1 in 5 Chinese Australians are being called slurs now! Progress!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kassad posted:

It's apparently less awful than a couple years ago : only 1 in 5 Chinese Australians are being called slurs now! Progress!

i heard its a term of endearment

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

it’s not much shorter of a flight than it is to california. it’s still really far away

well then Idk. The funny accents maybe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crikey havin a cuppa o'va here mate

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think its pretty cheap to get an oversea (Anglo) diploma in Australia. I know 2 friends and family who got went to university in Australia. I hear much less Chinese going to Australia for leisure. It make much more sense to stop at Thailand or Singapore or Malaysia.

I also have a far remote relative who went to US for diploma, didn't even look me up once for a dim sum. I think the oversea foreign student service cotton industry is pretty mature and the students in general don't need assistance for living issues.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Apr 18, 2023

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1648148890519060481?t=e_BUit5mNMKu7XOpYp0llg&s=19

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My god...posting IS praxis

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Clicking "like" is serious business.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://t.me/CarlZha

carl zha has a telegram now since his twitter alt got suspended

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the censorship is going to get worse
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1648152600968155136

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
lmao it's just unironically this

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Oh gently caress I'm cooked

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In Training posted:

I looked up HK-Sydney and it's 9+ hours. to LA it's 15:10. quite a ways but the time difference isn't as big as i thought.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

SorePotato posted:

lots come here on working visas and/or to study. Australia also has great food from having really fresh produce (seafood, beef and dairy) and immigrant restaurants

edit: also, our environment is really nice. lots of nature, fresh air and because we are so sparsely populated (especially compared to china), there's lots of wide open spaces.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 01:41 on Apr 19, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah the produce in a regular chain supermarket in Australia will blow minds. Let alone going to the butcher or green grocer or fishmonger in the shopping center just next to the Woolworths/Coles.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

i got probed from alternate history dot com for defending PRC can i have a metal

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

platzapS posted:

i got probed from alternate history dot com for defending PRC can i have a metal

You get low grade copper

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have two friends who emigrated from the PH to Australia, one of them already became a citizen, and the other is well on their way to becoming one. I suppose English fluency is a big advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

They get a low-quality airport with high-quality debt. But the Biden administration is really good at taking the moral high ground at the expense of maintaining valuable relationships, for example Saudi Arabia.