Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

1. Insurances don't protect you in the case the device decides to stop working or having intermittent issues without physical damage.
2. Insurances may raise their premium after incidents or may not allow you to take out another insurance on the same item for some time, end your contract and so on.
3. Insurances will not help you out quickly as in replacing or fixing the item on the same day .

2 I’ll give you, no argument there. That said, I’m using this as a “I have a toddler” policy for a laptop so the math changes a bit for the other two. For 1 my experience has been for any internal problem, intermittent or not, for laptops the response has been “lol, replace logic board” if software fixes don’t cut it. If that is the case then I pay the amount and file a claim for reimbursement. For 3, the laptop isn’t an OTS spec so they couldn’t just hand me one to begin with so there isn’t really a loss there either.

Without digging back into my notes on the matter for a few months back iirc there aren’t a great number of benefits to be had for laptops and AppleCare. It’s pretty drat stellar for phones and watches and so forth though. All this said ymmv and different strokes and so on and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I charge my ps5 controller via the usb-c port on my m2 air. everytime this happens, it opens up the app store for some reason. how do I make it so nothing happens when I connect it (outside of the charging)? I know the PS5 has usb-c, this is just a bit more convenient.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

actionjackson posted:

I charge my ps5 controller via the usb-c port on my m2 air. everytime this happens, it opens up the app store for some reason. how do I make it so nothing happens when I connect it (outside of the charging)? I know the PS5 has usb-c, this is just a bit more convenient.

Use a power-only instead of power+data cable?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Warbird posted:

2 I’ll give you, no argument there. That said, I’m using this as a “I have a toddler” policy for a laptop so the math changes a bit for the other two. For 1 my experience has been for any internal problem, intermittent or not, for laptops the response has been “lol, replace logic board” if software fixes don’t cut it. If that is the case then I pay the amount and file a claim for reimbursement. For 3, the laptop isn’t an OTS spec so they couldn’t just hand me one to begin with so there isn’t really a loss there either.

Without digging back into my notes on the matter for a few months back iirc there aren’t a great number of benefits to be had for laptops and AppleCare. It’s pretty drat stellar for phones and watches and so forth though. All this said ymmv and different strokes and so on and so forth.

I don't buy MacBook configurations sold in stores either, the instant replacements were iPads and other items. I didn't want to list my entire AppleCare history of many years. Amazingly, they had my non-basic configs in store in those cases including the colors.

I'm sorry I don't have a toddler, but that's not the only possible source of issues.

What it comes down to for me is: I'd rather pay some money upfront in order to not have to even think about whether I should have something fixed, since every issue that I could reasonably expect to ever run into is covered. Other alternatives may have lower cost, but have hidden disadvantages and holes in their coverage.

Additionally, if there truly was something better than AppleCare in all situations, that would get regular media coverage, and I'm not hearing anything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don’t doubt that. For phones/tablets it certainly is a smart call if you’re prone to needing it. I still feel that it isn’t as useful for laptops, but that can and will vary from person to person. Honestly if they let you hook the charge into your apple wallet I’d just do it as I get a few hundred bucks worth of apple gift cards through work and it’s let get hands on with some assorted subscription apps. It’s quite nice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Use a power-only instead of power+data cable?

what do you mean by that?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

actionjackson posted:

PortaPow USB-C Data Blocker https://amzn.asia/d/2FUc8M4

You can buy cables that only charge.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

down1nit posted:

I've seen towel wrapped imacs in suitcases. They fit rather well in the standard big size everyone has. Just protect that glass!

at my old job i needed to transport like 30 iMacs at a time

while i wouldn't condone it, we just filled my van to the point there was no room for them to fall over and hoped for the best

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
People sell the boxes on ebay for like $40 + shipping. I've always thought it was weird, but I guess this is why it happens.

A question: I spilled honey/lemon water on a bluetooth magic keyboard. I let it dry out for a couple days, and now some of the keys are sticky. Is it a lost cause? Any advice?

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 16, 2023

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Comatoast posted:

People sell the boxes on ebay for like $40 + shipping. I've always thought it was weird, but I guess this is why it happens.

A question: I spilled honey/lemon water on a bluetooth magic keyboard. I let it dry out for a couple days, and now some of the keys are sticky. Is it a lost cause? Any advice?

Try returning to crapple

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I've got an M1 Macbook Air, had it for a couple of years now. Anyone else running into issues where the wifi on it just...dies? I'll be streaming video on it or keeping connected to my workstation via RDP and things will just stop working until I turn off and turn back on the wifi via the menu bar widget. No other device on my wireless network exhibits this behavior, and sometimes it'll happen hourly. Anyone happen to have a fix they could recommend?

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I've got an M1 Macbook Air, had it for a couple of years now. Anyone else running into issues where the wifi on it just...dies? I'll be streaming video on it or keeping connected to my workstation via RDP and things will just stop working until I turn off and turn back on the wifi via the menu bar widget. No other device on my wireless network exhibits this behavior, and sometimes it'll happen hourly. Anyone happen to have a fix they could recommend?

Not had this problem OP

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nom epique posted:

Try returning to crapple

Hrmmm..

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

i havent had this happen, but things i'd look at:

do you have a 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSID? sometimes things can be dumb and swapperoo
is your Air close enough? I dont mean this badly but like, do you experience this on Ethernet, sitting right next to router, etc.?
is your Wifi actually just, straight up shutting off? If so, I'd actually just take it to an Apple store.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

i havent had this happen, but things i'd look at:

do you have a 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSID? sometimes things can be dumb and swapperoo
is your Air close enough? I dont mean this badly but like, do you experience this on Ethernet, sitting right next to router, etc.?
is your Wifi actually just, straight up shutting off? If so, I'd actually just take it to an Apple store.

To give some context: my Macbook Air is usually my living room laptop, sometimes my patio laptop when the weather is good and I can RDP into my workstation and work from the patio. My wireless router is often one room away rolling a 5ghz and 2.4ghz network on separate SSIDs, of which the air is usually connected to the 5ghz network. This problem is recently new, having started over the past few months or so.

Yes: my network has a 5ghz and 2.4ghz enabled to support the various devices on my network. Yes it's close enough to the router, my apartment isn't the biggest in the world. No I haven't tried it on ethernet, if only because the air doesn't have a native ethernet port on it so it's mostly been a wifi device. Yes, the wifi will just drop in the middle of me using it, and if a visit to the apple store is the solution and this is a hardware issue I'll be bummed out. :sigh:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

actionjackson posted:

I mean a usb cable where only the power pins are connected, two instead of four on usb-a for instance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AKA the worst cables on earth because they are never labeled “POWER ONLY” and you’ll spend 30 minutes wondering which of your devices is dead when you try to use the cable for data eventually

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a few power only cables and I buy them in different colors to tell them apart.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Buy cables that are intentionally tiny and can be used as a ‘dongle’ so you don’t mix them up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think you’ll find we just had multiple pages of discourse proving the worst cables are, in fact, MagSafe cables.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the MagSafe cable makes a fun click when I attach it so its clearly superior

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

And we also noted that the new MagSafe 3 cables are of woven construction and should not suffer the same issues as the old MG2 polyvinyl ones

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I’m slowly replacing all my most used cables with thunderbolt.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

teraflame posted:

I’m slowly replacing all my most used cables with thunderbolt.

how's it feel to be a millionaire?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

theyre not AS expensive as they used to be like..
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-T...75&sr=8-13&th=1
i guess thats still a lot but i get it, you get like a couple of those and youre set

Olga Gurlukovich fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 17, 2023

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
one of my RAVPower PD (20,000 mAh 60 W) power bank died, RavPower support tried to get me to go to Amazon to get it warrantied but then said oh then your warranty is expired buy another one when Amazon told me that they dont service warranties.

Before i buy another one, i wanted to see if anyone here have any recommendations on a PD 60W power bank that they love.

Also does anyone use a 3rd party apple watch charger with a longer cable?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For anyone looking for a portable monitor for their mac, I can recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM96WZMC

QHD resolution, USB-C video and power, HDR, controllable from the Mac (brightness, contrast, volume),thin as heck and looks really good

And its $110, great option for those times you dont want to lug a real monitor around

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RoboBoogie posted:

one of my RAVPower PD (20,000 mAh 60 W) power bank died, RavPower support tried to get me to go to Amazon to get it warrantied but then said oh then your warranty is expired buy another one when Amazon told me that they dont service warranties.

Before i buy another one, i wanted to see if anyone here have any recommendations on a PD 60W power bank that they love.
Weren't they one of the ones kicked off Amazon a while ago when they cracked down on review scams? Like those free gift for positive review things. Fake edit: Yes

Otherwise I guess whatever Anker 65W one, there's a few options. This one looks like their newest generation one (no clue what the differences are :shrug:), they have a higher power 87W one too.

I've had good luck with my Baseus battery, so based off that maybe this one if you'd rather have a big flatter slab form factor instead.

quote:

Also does anyone use a 3rd party apple watch charger with a longer cable?
I've been using this one for a few years as my travel (and occasional downstairs charger) with a USB-C cable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

For anyone looking for a portable monitor for their mac, I can recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM96WZMC

QHD resolution, USB-C video and power, HDR, controllable from the Mac (brightness, contrast, volume),thin as heck and looks really good

And its $110, great option for those times you dont want to lug a real monitor around

Everyone’s all about this monitor recently, I’ve seen 3 YouTubers gushing about it in the last week as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Everyone’s all about this monitor recently, I’ve seen 3 YouTubers gushing about it in the last week as well.

Yeah no kidding I just saw a RGC video about it as well.

Seems pretty good for $110.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Yep, I saw it in a YouTube saying how it’s aspect ratio is great for retro gaming, and you can use its high resolution to integer scale games.

They must be sending review units out to YouTubers or something.

My takeaway was that it looked about the same size as my 2019 MBP, which it is, so it fits in my bag and I always have a second screen with me now.

Maybe I’ll hook my steam deck up to it and try some games.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I snagged a 2011 MacBook Air out of a dumpster. Pretty nice cosmetically but the SSD is missing and the battery is swole. With the battery disconnected when I plug into power I get no display no backlight and 3 beeps. With a USB drive plugged in I don't even get a screen to choose USB boot. So its pretty much hosed?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

So I snagged a 2011 MacBook Air out of a dumpster. Pretty nice cosmetically but the SSD is missing and the battery is swole. With the battery disconnected when I plug into power I get no display no backlight and 3 beeps. With a USB drive plugged in I don't even get a screen to choose USB boot. So its pretty much hosed?

I’ll be right back after googling for you what the three beeps might mean.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I’ll be right back after googling for you what the three beeps might mean.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=https%3A%2F%2Flmgtfy.app%2F%3Fq%3D3%2Bbeeps%2Bmacbook%2Bair%2B2011&iie=1

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 20, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
3 beeps is pretty ambiguous in this context

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251611572

Maybe the memory is bad. Wondering why it was in the trash.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

imagine using lmgtfy on someone in 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

FCKGW posted:

imagine using lmgtfy on someone in 2023

I feel like I've read 'imagine using lmgtfy in x year' for about a decade at this point

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

and mfers still think it’s some genius trap card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It was so good he had to make it 2 posts and edit one of them after the ninja window.