Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nea posted:

Here's the thing I didn't think about it until after I bought the dlc but my desire to not play as a slaver is pretty high so I decided eh, I'll set them aside at least for now.

Also I have played empire on the past when I had tww2 through piracy but I do not own twe1 so I can't play them at the moment. I only have the tww3 (all dlc except ogres) and base tww2 stuff actually purchases

sorry, im not trying to harp on you too much, but i find it very funny that someone would buy dlc for a race called chaos dwarfs for a game called Total War: Warhammer and then would be distraught by the potential war crimes they would inevitably commit

tbh tho, every single faction is monstrously evil in the game. Even the "good guys" will commit heinous genocide for every conquered faction and razed city. you would drive yourself mad trying to play the game in a way that isnt cartoonishly villainous.

drat, that actually sounds like a funny campaign tho

for real tho, chorfs have a ton of fun tools to make crazy gunlines with backing artillery and their econ mechanics are a lot of fun, if you enjoy plate spinning.

Of the factions you have access to, tho, probably skaven have the best gunlines but A) you need Ikit Claw dlc for those units and B) they are significantly more evil than the chorfs, dont look up how they make more skaven

im guessing Kislev would be your next best bet, but ive never played them so i dont know how effective their gunlines are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

WHFB isn't really as grimdark as 40k though, like the empire and the border princes etc aren't really that terrible, depending exactly on where you live. Same with Cathay.

Kislev is obviously a horrible place to live however.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
whfb is mediocre guys against bad guys, 40k is terrible guys against even worse guys

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im guessing Kislev would be your next best bet, but ive never played them so i dont know how effective their gunlines are
Streltsi have near- identical shooting characteristics to Empire's handgunners. They have 5 less range and 2 less ammo, but more health per model, better armor, and substantially better melee stats.

The Kislevite artillery is also much worse than the Imperial equivalent. Little Grom is the only option, and it makes a serviceable one-size-fits-all mobile artillery piece drawn by bears, but cannot specialize the way an Imperial army can, between helblasters, hellstorms, (and maybe now luminarks if the buff is worthwhile) and before that cannon and mortar.

You do get much better missile chariots, though. I would not say Kislev makes a good gunline faction. They make a very shooty faction however.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 18, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mediocre and mundane versus fantastical evil guys is very cool and fun. Some 10,000 year old demon wearing armor made in a forge fueled by wailing souls blasted in the face by a peasant with a lovely handgun and an even dumber peasant swinging an even shittier sword? Yeah man

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

whfb is mediocre guys against bad guys, 40k is terrible guys against even worse guys

thats fair, im more pointing out that the game mechanics themselves make it (nearly) impossible to play in a morally justifiable way

we, uh, genocided some folks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Dreadquake Mortar RoR for Chaos Dwarves is, uhh, something else :stare: It's strong as hell in manual combat but it seems outright busted in autoresolve.

Every time I autoresolve a battle with it in my army, it gets well over 1000 kills and does 10x the gold value in damage as the next highest unit.

e: I haven't used a regular non-RoR dreadquake mortar so maybe they do the same thing

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 18, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fantasy isn't grimdark but generally speaking if you read below the surface it broaches dark parts more. It's just not so comically evil on the surface, which I think to a large extent is because all the races have to live on the same planet.

Like, Bretonnia. Classic and noble, beautiful Arthurian group. Also *hilariously* corrupt with absolutely no regard for their own citizens if your first name isn't "Sir".

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i dont know the lore behind Cathay. Is it a nice place to live if youre one of its normal citizens? Would there be any better faction to be a part of?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i dont know the lore behind Cathay. Is it a nice place to live if youre one of its normal citizens? Would there be any better faction to be a part of?

They have throwaway, expendable peasants that they draft into the military and god-emperors so it's probably not great!

The happiest people in Warhammer are the greenskins. Not the chorf slaves, the free greenskins that live on top of piles of poo poo and use their teeth as money.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i guess im looking at it through the lens of being a human. I imagine that being a human in a greenskin camp would not be pleasant nor would you last very long

but, if you stick with whatever species the faction is, maybe ogres would be really fun? vampirate could be cool too i guess. High Elves would be alright

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ogres are always hungry, that kinda sucks.

From a human's perspective, I bet being an amazon is the poo poo

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

jokes posted:

They have throwaway, expendable peasants that they draft into the military and god-emperors so it's probably not great!

The happiest people in Warhammer are the greenskins. Not the chorf slaves, the free greenskins that live on top of piles of poo poo and use their teeth as money.

Canonically the happiest Greenskins are the Ork Boyz in 40k who Khorne keeps resurrecting to fight more of his demons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonkish posted:

Canonically the happiest Greenskins are the Ork Boyz in 40k who Khorne keeps resurrecting to fight more of his demons.

I'd imagine the boyz stuck in that eternal war with the tyranids are similarly happy. The tyranids are probably absolutely not happy at all.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
Well, gonna try a new campaign as Boris to see how much Kislev suck or not. I did beat the RoC campaign somewhere at game launch, but I don't really recall what I did or how I did it.

And yeah, using castellan as roadblocks is probably the smartest thing to do. I gave some of mines the item that makes them invincible for a short time, trading with melee malus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Going by the tabletop RPG, most places not directly under Chaos' control are pleasant enough to live for the Early Modern era when you're not under attack. Unless you're a woman in Bretonnia.

Being a mage trades the grimdark from 40k for crushing student loan debt. Magic school ain't cheap.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Being a Treeman sounds pretty chill.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

In lore it's probably about the same as living in Imperial China, maybe worse. For most of the citizens you're farming anyway. Downside is if you get drafted you're fighting some hellvikings locked into magical armor spewing daemonfire that warps reality. Bonus, at least your god-emperor actually is a God? Who seems to care about you somewhat? That's good.

Honestly not too different from how living in the Empire is probably like living in 15th century HRE most of the time, just when you do get drafted it's probably worse. And the marauders living in the woods are beastmen, but dead is still dead.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ravenfood posted:

Streltsi have near- identical shooting characteristics to Empire's handgunners. They have 5 less range and 2 less ammo, but more health per model, better armor, and substantially better melee stats.

The Kislevite artillery is also much worse than the Imperial equivalent. Little Grom is the only option, and it makes a serviceable one-size-fits-all mobile artillery piece drawn by bears, but cannot specialize the way an Imperial army can, between helblasters, hellstorms, (and maybe now luminarks if the buff is worthwhile) and before that cannon and mortar.

You do get much better missile chariots, though. I would not say Kislev makes a good gunline faction. They make a very shooty faction however.

The great thing about Kislev is it's easy to ally with Empire or Dwarf factions and address that artillery deficiency.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Talking about units now being able to be hit when they are on the ground, I don't think that's universal. I tried a full barrage of Blunderbuss shots on a prone hero that was knocked down during retreat and it did no damage to him, even though they have AP.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ravenfood posted:

In lore it's probably about the same as living in Imperial China, maybe worse. For most of the citizens you're farming anyway. Downside is if you get drafted you're fighting some hellvikings locked into magical armor spewing daemonfire that warps reality. Bonus, at least your god-emperor actually is a God? Who seems to care about you somewhat? That's good.

Honestly not too different from how living in the Empire is probably like living in 15th century HRE most of the time, just when you do get drafted it's probably worse. And the marauders living in the woods are beastmen, but dead is still dead.

Although there are a couple of points of improvement if you take the RPG as gospel: gay marriage is legal (in the Empire and Kislev), and there is free, no-drawback, 100% effective birth control available because the human goddess of fertility and love teaches that no one should feel required to have children.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The blunderbuss knockdown can be deceiving, the first time they fired at a unit and all the infantry models fell over I thought they were wiped in one volley.

As it turns out, it only took another volley or two

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are the chorf hell forged units any good? Do you need a demonsmith to make them good

The manufactorum can make them all unbreakable which gets rid of their weakness (Instability)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grumio posted:

The blunderbuss knockdown can be deceiving, the first time they fired at a unit and all the infantry models fell over I thought they were wiped in one volley.

As it turns out, it only took another volley or two

I meant it in the sense that a hero charged in and knocked the enemy over, at which point the blunderbusses opened fire with a full volley and the health on the enemy's unit card didn't go down at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blunderbussy knows how to take down a man, don't you worry

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nea posted:

i bought this game finally to play chorfs, after remembering i /did/ own tww 2 on steam from ages ago, so i at least had those guys in addition to the tww 3 ones. then i realized i didn't actually want to play chorfs and instead i did like, 50 turns of cathay, which was great fun then got bored, then 40 turns of khorne, then got bored. Which is fine like, 40 turns i sa long time in these games- i just wasn't wild about the guys to fight around cathay and also couldn't be assed to hold the gates, and then with Khorne it was a lot of 'well, i like having guns too much even though seeing skarbrand go brr is quite fun' .

who should I try next? I got champions of chaos while i was at it so i've got that bit of warriors of chaos.

Slaneesh looks fun, but they're also pretty low ranged, right? Albiet with lots of cav and 'guys who aren't cav but are kind of cav', yeah? Which might be fun to micro. Tzeench is like all ranged but that's it's own nightmare. I liked the kislev units i got when i was doing caravans, it seems neat that like half their army can be both ranged and melee?

Slaanesh are very fun, they exchange guns for everything being insanely fast and armor piercing

Tzeentch is also very fun, kairos gets a later skill that let's him stack spell damage per mage hero in his army up to double damage.
You have access to a very solid chaos warrior front line too. Vilitch is more solid on the campaign if you don't want to play flying hero caster solos the army with kairos.

I think theyr so drat fun for some reason, the aesthetic maybe
Whenever kairos isn't on screen im asking wheres kairos

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 19, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not sure if it's just in coop battles or what but those flying bulls seem really buggy. Just had one in a siege battle get trapped floating above wall after beating up some archers. Couldn't move for the rest of the fight. And in previous battles we've seen it do a bunch of weird stuff like stuttering in the air and refusing to actually land/attack fleeing units.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah the Taurus are having some issues with walls and geometry in general lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cythereal posted:

Going by the tabletop RPG, most places not directly under Chaos' control are pleasant enough to live for the Early Modern era when you're not under attack. Unless you're a woman in Bretonnia.

Being a mage trades the grimdark from 40k for crushing student loan debt. Magic school ain't cheap.

I thought women in Brettonia, Repanse aside, are just peasants like the men? Unless you're referring to magical ones being given to the elves, which while not great is probably better than just being killed like the male ones are

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought women in Brettonia, Repanse aside, are just peasants like the men? Unless you're referring to magical ones being given to the elves, which while not great is probably better than just being killed like the male ones are

In most versions of the fluff? Women in Bretonnia are property, first of their father and then of their husband. They do not have the right to refuse to be married (or any other rights). Though a considerable number of Bretonnia's knights at any given time are in fact disguised women, only once in Bretonnia's entire history has a woman ever been recognized by the Grail and allowed to rule as a noble in her own right.

Repanse won that right by single-handedly saving the entire kingdom and leading the army after the actual king died. The first and last woman in Bretonnia's history to receive that kind of elevation and honor.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bretonnia has strong gender roles that are enforced only when it is convenient. For example, it is the fashion for young knights to have long hair and be very clean shaven, and no man would ever dare suggest that a fellow knight is, in fact, a woman in armor.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
It's also worth noting that Repanse was made a Duke as a result of her saving Bretonnia, not a Duchess, so that she could actually rule over Lyonesse.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

sorry, im not trying to harp on you too much, but i find it very funny that someone would buy dlc for a race called chaos dwarfs for a game called Total War: Warhammer and then would be distraught by the potential war crimes they would inevitably commit

tbh tho, every single faction is monstrously evil in the game. Even the "good guys" will commit heinous genocide for every conquered faction and razed city. you would drive yourself mad trying to play the game in a way that isnt cartoonishly villainous.

drat, that actually sounds like a funny campaign tho

for real tho, chorfs have a ton of fun tools to make crazy gunlines with backing artillery and their econ mechanics are a lot of fun, if you enjoy plate spinning.

Of the factions you have access to, tho, probably skaven have the best gunlines but A) you need Ikit Claw dlc for those units and B) they are significantly more evil than the chorfs, dont look up how they make more skaven

I'm aware of the contradictions. It's not like I think playing this poo poo makes you evil or whatever, I just have my own personal preferences for what's fun and what way I would like to be cartoonisbly evil in a videogame.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
After having played all three Chorfs for 100-ish turns in IE, I think Zhatan has the best campaign/starting spot. There are distinct phases to it where you face different types of enemies. For me it was Chaos -> Cathay -> Dark Elves -> Lizardmen

Then once you kick in the gates and establish yourself in Cathay, you can either continue the march south and west, or ally with Clan Eshin and hop into the sea lanes to start invading the rest of the world. Lots of variety and pretty low pressure when it comes to defending your core territory.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cythereal posted:

Although there are a couple of points of improvement if you take the RPG as gospel: gay marriage is legal (in the Empire and Kislev), and there is free, no-drawback, 100% effective birth control available because the human goddess of fertility and love teaches that no one should feel required to have children.

Yeah, Empire in fantasy has a better quality of life than the historical HRE and honestly the Storm of Chaos (before it got retconned into end times) was way less lethal than the 30 Years War. Archaon has nothing on Gustavus Adolphus.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you will never encounter indirect fire weapons in fiction that fire as far as actual real indirect fire weapons

also often direct fire weapons

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IMPORTANT MOD

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2963822271

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How long could you build their trains in TT anyways?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Played a bit of all three Chorf Lords in IE, I really wish they'd given Zhatan a different starting location to where he is, maybe somewhere in the Badlands or Border Princes instead of getting jammed in above Cathay.

Both his and Astragoth's starts suffer from having Grimgor right there and his propensity to snowball hard hanging over your head unless you deal with him asap, I had to abandon my first attempt at Zhatan because Vilitch and his vassal Norscans decided to declare war at me the turn after I met them and by the time I was done mopping him up, here comes Grimmy coming over the ridge after kicking Kholech in the teeth to put my fragile early game economy into a death spiral.

Gonna give Drazhoath another try and this time smash through Imrik as soon as I can (provided that Ghorst and Greasus don't team up to hammer at my eastern flank and then get chased all over the Mountains of Mourn like with my first campaign), and try to push through into the Old World before its inevitably 40% Festus, 40% Azrael and 20% Karl hiding in some forlorn corner province by the time I get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Drazhoath has the best starting location imo. Really great enemy variety down there. I like playing as Zhatan more but I don't like his IE start. I feel like I spent a lot of time fighting other Chaos factions or Cathay and there weren't as many possible directions to go in.