Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Mad Hamish posted:

If it brings Katimavik back then absolutely. I'm still angry they shut it down again, it was a transformative experience for me and I wish the kids today had the same opportunity.

I had a few childhood friends go through Katimavik and it must have been great because it was a Topic, like a Montessori teacher mutual friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

apatheticman posted:

Click this for the weirdest accent you've ever heard.

I am certain he's doing it intentionally to sounds like what he imagines an intellectual is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madkal posted:

Where else can you go and see people talk about how much they hate the CBC and how they never read anything on the CBC website.

we're posting in D&D already

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

he did it to impress a cryptobro

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Aw hell yeah, I don't know anyone in the right age range for it right now but hopefully Katimavik still going when my neice is old enough.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I had a few childhood friends go through Katimavik and it must have been great because it was a Topic, like a Montessori teacher mutual friend.

It absolutely was. Totally life-changing.

Also Jesus loving Christ this CBC thing is indescribably stupid.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
That's exactly what people are asking for. All CBC has to do is set up their own ActivityPub-compatible server and they're good to go. There seems to be some movement on this subsequent to the NPR and PBS accounts stopping also.

It's just a horrible idea to be dependent on some oligarch's toy as one of your distribution channels. Run your own thing and nothing like this can ever happen again and verification is built-in given the control of the domain.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Absolutely no one will use it, but whatever, that's not really the point now is it?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

infernal machines posted:

Absolutely no one will use it, but whatever, that's not really the point now is it?

There is 20 CBC hating psychos at minimum that would.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Journalists have been getting that dumb label for years just for the crime of being Chinese so whatever lol. Plenty of good articles come from CBC journalists but they also publish enough "Why Being a Landlord is Harder Than Landing on Normandy: Experts Suggest Killing the Poor to Relieve Their Burden" type stuff that I don't care if the weird racist billionaire decides to pwn them.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

cbc interviews landlords so much because they dont have real jobs and are available for input at the drop of a hat

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As an American CBC watcher, I am excited for thebLeafs/Lightning game tonight, and the six other games to come.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think it's reasonable to call a journalist state-affiliated when the governmental organization that funds them is the Central Propaganda Publicity Department.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I don't care about CBC or its huff over the imagined slight on its integrity or whatever but I don't think Musk is quite thinking this through

If I was an advertiser looking to spend some cash I don't think I'd do it on a site where my badge can get changed to a poo poo emoji or tagged with an official designation or whatever based on the whims of its brain damaged maniac owner on no notice

I'm not a brain genius innovator disruptor ceo guy though so I guess just being an erratic dumbass just constantly thirsty for the cheapest heat possible will probably keep working out for him

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Musk has already gone out of his way to destroy Twitter's ad revenue. He fired everyone in the ad department, insulted and attempted to extort the remaining advertisers and spends his free time posting pepe memes INTYOOL 2023. This kerfuffle means nothing to him, he was literally goaded into it by a random cryptobro. No none of this is a sound business strategy but Musk never actually had a sound business strategy for Twitter, we have the text messages where he was goaded into buying it... so that he could give the Babylon Bee back there account. All of Musk's bullshit was based on the kind of hype which can only be sustained by a decade of near zero interest rates, it is no longer that decade and Musk is one of the few people fully aware him and Tesla are just running on borrowed time (and a seemingly inexhaustible pile of capital). He'll very soon come back to earth, but he'll still die obscenely rich never having felt a consequence for any action.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Willatron posted:

We need the CBC, Coronation Street marathons keep my parents from calling me on Sundays

The trumpets haunt my dreams.

Wot innit Chesneh???

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
CBC is a Rorschach test for what kind of person you are. For my brother every article on the CBC is about BIPOC, LGBTQ and women. For people here every article is about landlords and the hardship they face.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have been following this story since last year but it looks like it's finally gaining traction.

These 2 girls allegedly falsely claimed Inuit ancestry to get all sorts of bursaries and awards for their education. They also started up a business selling masks with Inuit patterns on them.

Whenever they posted stuff on social media, people would ask them about community connections but they would just ignore and delete the comments. Queens University would often post articles about them and use them as examples of successful First Nations students and those would have tons of comments from people letting Queens know about the potential fraud, but again, it just seems to have been ignored.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/tunngavik-investigation-1.6811300

quote:

Inuit organizations, family ask RCMP to investigate fraud claims surrounding twin sisters

Mom of Amira and Nadya Gill allegedly lied on application for Inuit enrolment

Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. and the Qikiqtani Inuit Association say they've asked the RCMP to investigate whether a family claiming to be part Inuit committed fraud.

Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. (NTI), which oversees the enrolment of Inuit under the Nunavut Agreement, said in a news release Thursday that twin sisters Amira and Nadya Gill have been removed from the enrolment list, in what they claim is the first instance of this kind.

The enrolments are part of the Nunavut Agreement, the largest Indigenous land claim settlement in Canada. Under it, Inuit are granted rights and benefits, including scholarships, health care and use of Inuit land.

As first reported by Nunatsiaq News, the twins, who are 24, have claimed to be Inuit, though NTI confirmed to CBC that neither they nor their adoptive mother have received funding from NTI.

NTI also said it will not be doing interviews regarding the Gill sisters at this time.

Thursday's news release said the sisters were added to the list in 2016 after the woman claiming to be their adoptive mother, Karima Manji, applied on their behalf. Manji had identified an Inuk woman as their birth mother, the organization said.

But that woman, Kitty Noah, isn't related to the twins, according to her son, Noah Noah.

CBC has made several attempts to reach the twins and Manji, but has not been successful.

In an interview, Noah Noah said NTI showed him the enrolment forms claiming Kitty as the birth mother. The documents he described seeing match the details from Thursday's news release. He said he saw Kamira Manji's signature on the form as the applicant, and Kitty Noah's name was listed as the birth mother.

CBC has viewed the application for the Gill sisters' enrolment, which Manji signed on Feb. 28, 2016. She stated in that application that she is the adoptive mother.

NTI would not show CBC Kitty Noah's name on that application, citing legal reasons because they haven't publicly named her yet.

CBC has not been able to confirm with the Gill sisters whether they knew or were involved in their enrolment, or if they believed at any point they were Inuit.

Family 'flabbergasted' by claims

Noah Noah, who described his mother as a vulnerable person, identified himself to CBC as her guardian because of health concerns and her ability to communicate. CBC did not interview Kitty Noah, but she was present during the interview with Noah Noah.

He said he felt "gutted" when he learned about the situation, and said Kitty was also shocked to find out someone had used her name on the forms.

"She was just as flabbergasted as we were, that they were claiming that she was their birth mother," he said.

"There's no relation at all."

He said the forms he was shown had no father listed. He, too, contacted the Nunavut RCMP to see if they could investigate possible fraud.

The family was surprised, too, to see Manji listed as the person who applied — a familiar name, since Karima Manji dated Noah Noah's father in Iqaluit in the '90s.

"That would have been, I suspect, the only way she would have known any Inuit names," he said.

Claims of Inuit heritage

Liam Gill, the sisters' older brother, told CBC in an email that to the best of his knowledge, he and his sisters share the same biological parents. He said he isn't close with his family and does not identify as Indigenous.

He said as far as he knows, both of his parents immigrated to Canada.

The twins both claimed to be Inuit when they launched an online business together, Kanata Trade Co. That business sold masks with Indigenous artwork on them, among other things.

They have also been featured by Indspire, which provides grants to Indigenous students and has given Amira bursaries in the past.

In a statement Friday, Indspire said it's aware of the allegations and is waiting to see what comes of NTI's investigation into the sisters' identity claims.

It said it will "act accordingly" once that investigation is finished.

Separately, Nadya Gill is a soccer player and studied law at Queen's University in Ontario.

CBC reached out to Durant Barristers, the Ontario law firm where she was working. The firm said she had been placed on a leave of absence while they do an internal investigation. It also said the Law Society of Ontario had been made aware.

"We find it entirely unacceptable for anyone to falsely claim to be Indigenous and use it for personal gain," said Erin Durant, the firm's founder, in an email.

Amira, who also attended Queen's University, studied civil engineering and received several bursaries and scholarships earmarked for Indigenous students.

No response yet from twins

In Thursday's news release, NTI and the Qikiqtani Inuit Association said they have asked the Gills to provide evidence of an Inuk birth parent, but have not yet received a response.

They said the Qikiqtani Inuit Association also identified another application from Manji from 2018, where Manji claimed to have been adopted by two Inuit from Iqaluit. That application had been denied.

CBC has viewed that application as well. It is dated March 7, 2018.

NTI has a "robust" enrolment process, the organizations wrote.

Nunavut Inuit organization plans to seek self-government
Nunavut Inuit sue territorial government over right to education in Inuktut
Paul Quassa, one of the signatories of the Nunavut Agreement who was president of Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. back when it was called the Tunngavik Federation of Nunavut, told CBC earlier this week that the enrolment process is clear about who can and can't be enrolled.

"We have to remember that this land claims agreement is constitutional, protected, it's under the constitutional law — the highest law of Canada," he said.

"If any fraud or any wrongdoings are done within this Nunavut land claims agreement, it is only right for enforcement to look into it."

The Canadian Press reported Jean Teillet, a Métis author, lawyer and Indigenous rights advocate, told them she isn't aware of charges being levelled in any similar case in Canada.

She said fraudulent claims of Indigenous heritage are harmful because they take away opportunities from people who actually are Indigenous, and can create distrust about Indigenous identity.

"We're just seeing more and more and more of these coming to the fore," she told The Canadian Press.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In the words of the great Gary Farmer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvrwhZUHaKg

Then I clicked on the article after reading it and realized they are not white either, Gill and not Gil threw me. Welp, the spirit of the thing is still there.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yet again PP demonstrates why i think he'd be a dogshit PM. Just the intense focus on petty little beefs with Trudeau, Liberals and media every other day.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Looks like the government strike is going ahead? Pretty sure I saw Trudeau say he's going to immediately legislate them back so like whatever but good try I guess

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Less than 4 hours to find out if I join a picket line tomorrow. If it does go ahead I wonder how long this one may end up.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Wonder what Jagmeet will do if Trudeau does legislate them back to work

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Duck Rodgers posted:

Vote to support the legislation

But he'll be kinda bummed about it

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
Jagmeet has said he wouldn't vote for it but I'm sure Conservatives would so it's kind of moot, no?

Union gave their press conference, strike starts at midnight.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/psac_afpc/status/1648496714423336960?s=20

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Important: will this give me an extension on my taxes?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Duck Rodgers posted:

Letters, strongly worded.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

Jagmeet has said he wouldn't vote for it but I'm sure Conservatives would so it's kind of moot, no?

Union gave their press conference, strike starts at midnight.

PSAC is confident conservatives won't vote alongside any liberal attempt at back to work legislation. Singh has publicly said he would not support any.

The union is wrong and foolish to trust the conservatives are doing anything more than playing opposition. When it comes to labour and economics, the libs and cons are identical. Conservatives will break kayfabe to force workers back. And Singh will vote for it too because their masters are the same as the liberals now and they will demand it.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Panderfringe posted:

PSAC is confident conservatives won't vote alongside any liberal attempt at back to work legislation. Singh has publicly said he would not support any.

The union is wrong and foolish to trust the conservatives are doing anything more than playing opposition. When it comes to labour and economics, the libs and cons are identical. Conservatives will break kayfabe to force workers back. And Singh will vote for it too because their masters are the same as the liberals now and they will demand it.

My sense is that PSAC has, of course, seen that a PP about-face was a strong possibility, but decided that they would strike the same, whether or not back-to-work legislation is a possible outcome. I personally don't think they're (even strategically) wrong to act like they are currently, but only time will tell.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Charles Bukowski posted:

Important: will this give me an extension on my taxes?

The CRA stated they won’t grant an extension.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Evis posted:

The CRA stated they won’t grant an extension.

Goddamn thieves. Thanks friend.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sounds like CUPE in Nova Scotia might go on strike soon too.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Some people have no sense of collective action and solidarity.

My wife (not part of PSAC) works daily with people in PSAC who are definitely not essential. Multiple people on strike signed in this morning like usual with stuff like "Work needs to be done" and "Yeah, but I'm not striking".
I hope PSAC takes all their pay.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Solidarity is for other people

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

Solidarity is for other people
I'm continually amazed at people I know who brag about their union benefits and pay and in the next breath complain about their dues and say that unions aren't needed any more.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm continually amazed at people I know who brag about their union benefits and pay and in the next breath complain about their dues and say that unions aren't needed any more.

i had someone tell me they didn't like the healthcare and teaching unions because they were too political

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When I was in PSAC because I was employed by CSEC I frequently met people who didn't think the union was needed because "they'd be paid for their skills anyways".

I also met a dude in his 60s who thought government healthcare was a gateway to Nazis "because Germany also has healthcare".

I like once a year even after I left that job still get pay cheques from the union retroactively getting my pay increased so good on them I say!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I know someone who makes ~75k ( probably more ) doing language evaluations on new immigrants. Working for the government is the only job they've ever had. They hate the union and vote Conservative. I wish them luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have no idea how LiUNA and the like survive