Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Alaois posted:

can we talk about this post from 5 years ago

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Now see all that post says to me a normal person is that’s mod material right there.

Clearly.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Frank Frank posted:

"Oh ok, I can kinda see where he's going wi...oh. oh no."

Yeah, I was about to push back on politics posting in here (why would you track that poo poo in on our generally clean carpets?) but nope, nope, that post suddenly went fuckin' places

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

it was supposedly le epic troll, so it turns out the joke... was on us

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I was about to push back on politics posting in here (why would you track that poo poo in on our generally clean carpets?) but nope, nope, that post suddenly went fuckin' places

someone posted it in the SAD thread and i had the same reaction of "oh this is just some boring politics post" until that last sentence

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Sorry, too busy making all of the crazy people mods. Can't hear you.

"Oh ok, I can kinda see where he's going wi...oh. oh no."

posit left leon! noo

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Do you have a mental health problem that would keep you from making consistently rational decisions as a moderator?
[ X ] Y
[ ] N

EXCELLENT! You start on Monday.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Alaois posted:

can we talk about this post from 5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DCs29xw2A

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

It was about doxxing. Nothing mega serious but the admins are understandably taking a zero-tolerance approach to mods being careless about this stuff. Can't elaborate without making poo poo worse but it was not about the Willa thing.

hooboy

not again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No but seriously why would someone who was banned for that whack rear end post even be considered for a mod position?

Like wouldn’t you check someone’s post/ probation history and be like “hmmm maybe not the best idea”???

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Runa posted:

hooboy

not again

I mean we really need our mods to branch out. 3 doxxing incidents in what, 4 days? Find some new and creative way to suck.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

HopperUK posted:

It was about doxxing. Nothing mega serious but the admins are understandably taking a zero-tolerance approach to mods being careless about this stuff. Can't elaborate without making poo poo worse but it was not about the Willa thing.

ilovesomethingawfulilovesomethingawfulilovesomethingawfulilovesomethingawful

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

symbolic posted:

lmao but also that might be deec for my Jund EDH deck...
within hours of that card getting revealed someone had already designed a deck entirely around getting that on the field and flinging it into your opponents face for lethal damage by turn 3

Man I love magic

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ah. Hmm

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That post has come up plenty of times before and people have always shown up to say that Leon was obviously actually making fun of [some politics stuff] and I've always been like "oh uhh heh cool. I get jokes"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Silly me thinking I could quote a post a page back and assume nothing stupid or horrific got revealed about someone in the interim posts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HopperUK posted:

hm i guess to elaborate in a vague fashion leon didn't actually dox anyone (hence why he hasn't been permabanned) or do anything malicious but i think there was some rather cavalier handling of some PI. which, in the context of everything that has happened recently, the admin team seems to want to nip in the bud. sorry i really don't want to get super into the weeds here but i also don't want people to think that there was some flagrant "user's irl name and address is..." thing happening.

also if anyone doesn't know and is curious mods can't see (or i guess if we can i have no idea how to lol) personal information, our tool for alt checks is just asking an admin.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what a week

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol no kidding

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

And it’s not even half over!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

With an april this bad I'm fuckin terrified of what meltdown may is gonna look like

maybe just close the forums entirely for 31 days to avoid temptation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Silly me thinking I could quote a post a page back and assume nothing stupid or horrific got revealed about someone in the interim posts

So uh… Battles huh?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

hm i guess to elaborate in a vague fashion leon didn't actually dox anyone (hence why he hasn't been permabanned) or do anything malicious but i think there was some rather cavalier handling of some PI. which, in the context of everything that has happened recently, the admin team seems to want to nip in the bud. sorry i really don't want to get super into the weeds here but i also don't want people to think that there was some flagrant "user's irl name and address is..." thing happening.

also if anyone doesn't know and is curious mods can't see (or i guess if we can i have no idea how to lol) personal information, our tool for alt checks is just asking an admin.

turns out the formerly permabanned guy who had gotten multiple warnings *after* being unpermad to stop being a fuckin weirdo in D&D wasn't fit to be a moderator of D&D (or any forum for that matter). who could have guessed!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

turns out the formerly permabanned guy who had gotten multiple warnings *after* being unpermad to stop being a fuckin weirdo in D&D wasn't fit to be a moderator of D&D (or any forum for that matter). who could have guessed!

There really is no way they could have known this would happen.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKn1SO3SFIk

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's being said more and more: close the politics forums

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Those are the best kind of posters imo

Yeah, just sometimes need to be more gently managed Emperor Norton style

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Martman posted:

That post has come up plenty of times before and people have always shown up to say that Leon was obviously actually making fun of [some politics stuff] and I've always been like "oh uhh heh cool. I get jokes"

It's obviously meant to be parodying... something, but it even more obviously loving sucks rear end.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Here's a fun little brain teaser, the staff tried to make him an admin back in february:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Eric Cantonese posted:

Make Leon an admin no matter what happens.

I already turned this down after Az stepped down. Koos did as well, but they are still looking for someone to be "the politics admin" because they felt that worked out pretty well with Az.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Here's a fun little brain teaser, the staff tried to make him an admin back in february:

loving hell it is amazing how many bullets this forum manages to dodge by constantly tripping on its own feet

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's being said more and more: close the politics forums

They're an amazing source of comedy though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

yeah i mean i don't want to defend anything that has happened or anyone involved, i just want to make it clear - from the perspective of someone who doesn't want people even more distrustful of site staff - that there was no doxing here, leon did not dox anyone or even actively try to do something harmful.

sorry i hate doing stuff like this i hope this isnt mod voice lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i mean i don't want to defend anything that has happened or anyone involved, i just want to make it clear - from the perspective of someone who doesn't want people even more distrustful of site staff - that there was no doxing here, leon did not dox anyone or even actively try to do something harmful.

oh no it just seemed like a good jumping off point for some snark. all good homie :respek:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

oh no it just seemed like a good jumping off point for some snark. all good homie :respek:

:cheers:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So uh… Battles huh?
What would these forums do if they were a battle and flipped?

MarcusSA posted:

There really is no way they could have known this would happen.
"no way to prevent this" says forum where it happens constantly

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Martman posted:

I've read it before too - maybe popped up in sagas that time he tried to rile up a mob against his enemies - and I can't remember who was defending it and why but I always found it weird he was never rolled over it

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Someone swapped rodbeard and docbeard's avatars and it took me a minute to notice

The best way to do an April fools joke is to forget to do it until two weeks later so nobody expects it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

It is probably not worth getting into it since details can't be discussed and everything is intentionally vague, but the problem seems to be a bigger systemic thing with mod values, priorities and the systems in place for managing them being messed up. The fact that PI is handled in such a casual way is a fundamental issue that needs to be solved.

I personally don't know if it's fair to cite this example to make people less distrustful, because until those problems are solved that is not totally accurate. My feeling is that there are definitely improvements that could be made to make this less likely to recur.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 19, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the forums ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

there are decades where nothing happens and there are weeks where decades happen