Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah as someone who has never played the original, Desktop Dungeons Rewind seems really good so far. Probably going to buy one of the DLC's since I got it for free after buying the original on a deep sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What was the final verdict on Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus? I've been having a poo poo time lately and I could do with a game that straight-up glorifies killing fascists. I enjoyed the new order/the old blood back when they came out, if that means anything.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What was the final verdict on Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus? I've been having a poo poo time lately and I could do with a game that straight-up glorifies killing fascists. I enjoyed the new order/the old blood back when they came out, if that means anything.

It's good but not as good as those two. A little overtuned in parts and BJ dies probably a bit too easy from enemies you hadn't seen yet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

explosivo posted:

Yeah as someone who has never played the original, Desktop Dungeons Rewind seems really good so far. Probably going to buy one of the DLC's since I got it for free after buying the original on a deep sale.

:same:

I bought the EE version on Steam a few days ago ($3.74), and Rewind is on my Steam app on my phone in my Steam Library rn.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I should mention that on the title screen of Desktop Dungeons Rewind there was a very scary sounding whining noise I don't usually hear from my computer happening and it only stopped after I enabled VSync, probably due to that frame limit issue some games have that was talked about a couple of pages ago.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Limit your max FPS to your monitor refresh rate in your GPU control panel, folks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think my only real complain digging back into it more is it's a lot harder at a glance to see the state of the map than in the original with the fancy new graphics. It's a little too dark or something.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

It's fine. The story is extremely dumb and schlocky, but the shooting is fun enough and the achievements/collectables deliver enough replayability if you're interested in those. If you enjoyed TNO and want more then you really can't go wrong, but TNC has been on sale for prices as low as $6 so you may want to wait for a sale https://isthereanydeal.com/game/wolfensteiniinewcolossus/info/ GameBillet has it for $15, though.

No spoilers, but there were two scenes in TNC that made the purchase worthwhile for me. Just so, so stupid and hilarious

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Mr. Sun's Hatbox came out of nowhere for me but I'm very charmed by the demo and definitely will pick the game up when it comes out in 2 days. It's a sidescrolling heist game (almost like a less-simmy Heat Signature?) but you have base-building that's sort of a basic riff on X-COM and there are a bunch of hats you collect that give you different abilities and also you can just literally straight up Fulton enemies and items like in MGSV to send them back to your base and add them to your roster of playable characters or equippable gear. Very cute and weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tinytopia was pleasantly nice. I think I generally like the idea of a city builder but don't get too interested in all the systems heavy stuff, and I prefer campaigns. And I liked that Tinytopia's campaign levels were all relatively short affairs (the longest no longer than maybe 45 minutes, but on average usually 20-30 minutes). I'll have to be on the lookout for other city games in this vein.

Concrete Jungle I'm worming my way through but it is still pretty brutal on the difficulty, specifically the AI in the Versus levels of the campaign. they just always seem to have the better cards in their deck no matter what you buy or what skills you activate to try and outbuild them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goferchan posted:

Mr. Sun's Hatbox came out of nowhere for me but I'm very charmed by the demo and definitely will pick the game up when it comes out in 2 days. It's a sidescrolling heist game (almost like a less-simmy Heat Signature?) but you have base-building that's sort of a basic riff on X-COM and there are a bunch of hats you collect that give you different abilities and also you can just literally straight up Fulton enemies and items like in MGSV to send them back to your base and add them to your roster of playable characters or equippable gear. Very cute and weird.

Oh this is really cute, I'm gonna wishlist this for sure.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

Tinytopia was pleasantly nice. I think I generally like the idea of a city builder but don't get too interested in all the systems heavy stuff, and I prefer campaigns. And I liked that Tinytopia's campaign levels were all relatively short affairs (the longest no longer than maybe 45 minutes, but on average usually 20-30 minutes). I'll have to be on the lookout for other city games in this vein.

Concrete Jungle I'm worming my way through but it is still pretty brutal on the difficulty, specifically the AI in the Versus levels of the campaign. they just always seem to have the better cards in their deck no matter what you buy or what skills you activate to try and outbuild them.

Have you tried Against the Storm? Forgive if you already posted about it or something, my brain is fried. But it's a sort of roguelite city builder where you move on quickly so you can't get too bogged down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

A bit late to the party, but what's y'all's preferred method of controlling Everspace 2? I find the gamepad turning really sluggish and the mouse doesn't really turn when I want it to.

Didn't have to put up with either of those in CHORVS, I tell you.
I play on controller with autoaim turned way up. There's an ini edit you can do that makes mouse work better, I'll find and post it when I get home.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HopperUK posted:

Have you tried Against the Storm? Forgive if you already posted about it or something, my brain is fried. But it's a sort of roguelite city builder where you move on quickly so you can't get too bogged down.
i'm not a fan of roguelites for the most part, but I could always try a demo if it has one.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I never thought I actually needed one of those smart uninstallers you'd see on store shelves and in magazine ads, you know, they type that claim to go through your drives and seek out the remnants of stuff you uninstalled years ago - but then I needed to go diving into the original Steam folder (Amnesia's .exe needed some tweaking) and holy poo poo, what's America's Army doing in there when I uninstalled it years ago having never actually fired it up? AND despite being undetectable by Steam and Windows' App uninstaller it's not only still there but also taking up 17 GB?!?! Further scrolling yielded other discoveries folders from long-uninstalled games and demos. And this was the drive from when I first built my rig so after all these years of digital hording...yeah. I'd hate to see what my largest drive looks like! But I'd love to get all that wasted space back.

So...any recommendations? Or is this something best done manually?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

I bought this a while ago but was waiting for full release. Hope it grabs me the way battle Brothers did

Update: it did.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

tried windirstat before? that would at least keep you from losing track of anything that size.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agent Escalus posted:

I never thought I actually needed one of those smart uninstallers you'd see on store shelves and in magazine ads, you know, they type that claim to go through your drives and seek out the remnants of stuff you uninstalled years ago - but then I needed to go diving into the original Steam folder (Amnesia's .exe needed some tweaking) and holy poo poo, what's America's Army doing in there when I uninstalled it years ago having never actually fired it up? AND despite being undetectable by Steam and Windows' App uninstaller it's not only still there but also taking up 17 GB?!?! Further scrolling yielded other discoveries folders from long-uninstalled games and demos. And this was the drive from when I first built my rig so after all these years of digital hording...yeah. I'd hate to see what my largest drive looks like! But I'd love to get all that wasted space back.

I also recently (a week ago maybe) ran into an issue where my entire HD was full and the culprit was a Steam folder full of games I could have sworn were deleted and uninstalled ages ago and that weren't displayed as installed in Steam :iiam: I deleted the files and they haven't come back, though. I assumed I was just losing my mind :kiddo: But checking my recent data usage in Windows now and yeah, Steam definitely did some random downloading in the past 30 days:

e: Can confirm windirstat is great for figuring out what's taking up the most space and quickly getting rid of it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 19, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Steam only uninstalls the files it had installed. Not the whole folder.

It's actually very useful for when you mod/fix your game by dropping extra files into the game's folder because if you uninstall and then reinstall the game later those mods will still be there, but on the flip side some games download large chunks of itself on their own and take up space when you thought you uninstalled them.

I swear I saw some kind of tool at one point that cleaned up Steam directories for you but I can't find it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Steam Cleaner I think? It would take out duplicate files and stuff.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had the xbox app forget where i told it to install games and start putting them on my superfast OS drive

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HopperUK posted:

Steam Cleaner I think? It would take out duplicate files and stuff.

Yeah that zots all the identical dx installers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that zots all the identical dx installers

I pretty sure Steam already solved that problem themselves though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

I just point WizTree at my Steam/steamapps/common folder and see what shows up that I forgot about and don't need installed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Owl Inspector posted:

I just point WizTree at my Steam/steamapps/common folder and see what shows up that I forgot about and don't need installed

Yeah Wiztree is free and lightweight and only takes a few seconds to run a scan and identify what's taking up a bunch of space on your drive. Definitely recommend.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if the things aren't installed in the first place then you can just delete the directories yourself. without the hooks of installation they're just folders of loose and unimportant files.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

The 7th Guest posted:

Concrete Jungle is one I had in my wishlist for a long time before getting it in the Jingle Jam bundle back in December. to be honest, the city planning/building stuff is really just aesthetic trapping for what is instead a pretty ruthless deckbuilding puzzle game. you place down buildings which affect neighboring tiles with positive or negative point values, then place houses on those point tiles to capture the points, in order to build up a required point total for each column. if the front-most column reaches the point total, it clears and the map moves forward a column (so you can get up chain combos). But man is it tough. Granted, I am mostly working with the starter cards, but it is really easy to get a string of bad luck draws that leave you with a lot of buildings that don't gather points, or even worse, buildings that generate negative point values, and not a lot of buildings that DO gather points. You can edit your deck between levels but I just haven't yet gotten a deck that I'm happy with. I will keep playing this though. Versus mode against AI, I'm not a fan of. Solo mode levels, I'm fine with though. Campaign being a mix of both? Ehh...

The 7th Guest posted:

I wanted to effortpost the other day but was busy so glad this came back up.

To me, Concrete Jungle is an amazing evergreen game, one of those I come back to like Monaco; it may not be the best game ever but it is really really perfect distillation of a game idea that I will always have installed and play every couple months or so.

As mentioned, it is a cutthroat puzzle deckbuilding game, the citybuilding is just a visual and mechanical theme. There's a few broad card categories: Commercial cards tend to manipulate the grid, making a space worth more or less points. Residential cards collect the points on their space. Industrial cards give you economy, and also a fair number of them subtract points from neighboring spaces. Those broad categories are universal, and there's a few more smaller ones that tend to show up more occasionally or with a character that focuses on that card type. There's an endless solo mode of just trying to max out points as you progress, but to me the meat of the game is the versus mode/campaign because that's where some really cool mechanics come into play.

Base play is to play a card to increase the points of surrounding spaces on it, plonk down a house, collect points and win. There's a lot more subtlety though; as 7th guest mentioned, they had a lot of buildings that generate negative points, but those cards tend to increase your economy, which does two things: buy new cards, or buy character perks, which also lets you increase your tech level. Tech level is incredibly important, as it doesn't just give you access to better perks, it also unlocks a better tier of cards that will show up in the shop; instead of houses, you get estates, which collect points while also adding points to surrounding spaces, meaning you can just chain them for a big score. The character perks are important too, as they tend to add, remove, or replace a card in your deck. Each character has a focus; the first character loves park buildings, so has a lot of things that increase point value; there's a military character, that focuses on aggro play with junking the opponent deck and negative buildings (and has stuff that scores in reverse); there's a tech character, which focuses on clean industry cards to tech way ahead of the competition while avoiding pollution (comes with certain cards, makes it harder to clear a row through score).

That last part leads into what makes the vs/campaign mode amazing: there's a lot of great interplay against an opponent. When a row hits the bottom, if it is full or a player has hit their point threshold, it evaporates and points are scored. If only one player is at the threshold, that player scores BOTH players points. Which is annoying if you've gone pollution heavy and your threshold is 6 while your opponent is 3; they can collect your 5 points with only 3 of theirs. But later on, you start to realize that the winner collects all points, so you realize some rows are a lost cause... and a great place to dump your pollution and then put a house on it so the opponent is forced to collect your 8 negative points with their 3 positive. Unless they're smart and hit their own house with a negative point to put it under the threshold, and now they score their points and you score yours (oops). As you can see, there's a lot of subtlety and ways to set yourself up ahead of time, or wait til an opponent is committed and can't manipulate the points on something.

Anyways, I highly suggest it if you like puzzle/board games. The solo mode is great, I think vs/campaign is even better.

7th guest, to your specific issues, I think from the issues in both posts it sounds like you're not teching up enough. I'll buy new cards if they look ok, but like most deckbuilders if you can work towards higher quality cards without bloating your deck too much it makes it a lot easier to find that consistency. The AI does follow the same rules you do, so their deck superiority is likely from upgrading/swapping out cards while you are staying at tier 1, which absolutely can't compete with itself or any other deck as a character gets up to tier 3-4. The AI is also really good at the higher difficulties, which is really fun, I learned a lot by getting destroyed by the military character and the commercial lady. The different unlockable starter cards are not really metaprogression (thank god) they are more of a way to tweak a deck's starting focus. All of the power is in reaching higher tiers within a game session.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 19, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

threelemmings posted:

I wanted to effortpost the other day but was busy so glad this came back up.

To me, Concrete Jungle is an amazing evergreen game, one of those I come back to like Monaco; it may not be the best game ever but it is really really perfect distillation of a game idea that I will always have installed and play every couple months or so.

As mentioned, it is a cutthroat puzzle deckbuilding game, the citybuilding is just a visual and mechanical theme. There's a few broad card categories: Commercial cards tend to manipulate the grid, making a space worth more or less points. Residential cards collect the points on their space. Industrial cards give you economy, and also a fair number of them subtract points from neighboring spaces. Those broad categories are universal, and there's a few more smaller ones that tend to show up more occasionally or with a character that focuses on that card type. There's an endless solo mode of just trying to max out points as you progress, but to me the meat of the game is the versus mode/campaign because that's where some really cool mechanics come into play.

Base play is to play a card to increase the points of surrounding spaces on it, plonk down a house, collect points and win. There's a lot more subtlety though; as 7th guest mentioned, they had a lot of buildings that generate negative points, but those cards tend to increase your economy, which does two things: buy new cards, or buy character perks, which also lets you increase your tech level. Tech level is incredibly important, as it doesn't just give you access to better perks, it also unlocks a better tier of cards that will show up in the shop; instead of houses, you get estates, which collect points while also adding points to surrounding spaces, meaning you can just chain them for a big score. The character perks are important too, as they tend to add, remove, or replace a card in your deck. Each character has a focus; the first character loves park buildings, so has a lot of things that increase point value; there's a military character, that focuses on aggro play with junking the opponent deck and negative buildings (and has stuff that scores in reverse); there's a tech character, which focuses on clean industry cards to tech way ahead of the competition while avoiding pollution (comes with certain cards, makes it harder to clear a row through score).

That last part leads into what makes the vs/campaign mode amazing: there's a lot of great interplay against an opponent. When a row hits the bottom, if it is full or a player has hit their point threshold, it evaporates and points are scored. If only one player is at the threshold, that player scores BOTH players points. Which is annoying if you've gone pollution heavy and your threshold is 6 while your opponent is 3; they can collect your 5 points with only 3 of theirs. But later on, you start to realize that the winner collects all points, so you realize some rows are a lost cause... and a great place to dump your pollution and then put a house on it so the opponent is forced to collect your 8 negative points with their 3 positive. Unless they're smart and hit their own house with a negative point to put it under the threshold, and now they score their points and you score yours (oops). As you can see, there's a lot of subtlety and ways to set yourself up ahead of time, or wait til an opponent is committed and can't manipulate the points on something.

Anyways, I highly suggest it if you like puzzle/board games. The solo mode is great, I think vs/campaign is even better.

7th guest, to your specific issues, I think from the issues in both posts it sounds like you're not teching up enough. I'll buy new cards if they look ok, but like most deckbuilders if you can work towards higher quality cards without bloating your deck too much it makes it a lot easier to find that consistency. The AI does follow the same rules you do, so their deck superiority is likely from upgrading/swapping out cards while you are staying at tier 1, which absolutely can't compete with itself or any other deck as a character gets up to tier 3-4. The AI is also really good at the higher difficulties, which is really fun, I learned a lot by getting destroyed by the military character and the commercial lady. The different unlockable starter cards are not really metaprogression (thank god) they are more of a way to tweak a deck's starting focus. All of the power is in reaching higher tiers within a game session.

Thanks actually. I also found it nice but very hard but still wanted to give it another shot eventually.

explosivo posted:

Limit your max FPS to your monitor refresh rate in your GPU control panel, folks!

doesn't matter too much if a game is that bad designed that it will use full GPU power at 144Hz that will still have your GPU heat up to max in no time to render all the beautiful 2D elements of the main menu. Only hard limits on the FPS in the 2digit space may calm it down a little.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's not as good as the first game and mostly feels like it's setting up the pieces for a sequel that has yet to manifest even though it's been almost 6 years now. It's not bad either, it has its moments but it just doesn't have the same magic as the previous games.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I’ve used Bulk Crap Uninstaller and been happy with it. Seconding both WizTree and WinDirStat, though, both of which I’ve used to clean up big file disks in the past. BCU has worked great at getting little things like registry and old “gone but left fragments” digital detritus away after manual deletion.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Steam been a flaming wreck for anyone else in the past few months? Store pages frequently fail to load and purchases frequently fail to go through. It seems to play nicer in the browser than the app now.

Edit: I even had some "in library" flags missing on a big sale page. That's new.

Double edit: Also wishlisting takes multiple attempts now.

Yeah Steam has been on a long but persistent decline for years.
Some downloads languishing at 50-70% of max speed, weird UI bugs with every update, unnecessarily huge patches, downtime/login issues/slow overloaded servers.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At least What's New comes back every update :v:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

oh, does anybody know a windirstat for linux that has boxes, not circles

mystes
May 31, 2006

I usually use baobob but I guess it only does circles?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mescal posted:

oh, does anybody know a windirstat for linux that has boxes, not circles

GD map has basically the same visualization style as windirstat. So does KDirStat

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh Baobob also has a treemap mode which may be similar to windirstat, so maybe try it after all

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Teslagrad 2 is shadowdropping today

Little to the Left DLC in June

Mineko's Night Market: September 26th

Crime o Clock June 30th

Animal Well targeting early 2024

Blasphemous 2 announced, coming this summer

Oxenfree 2 July 12th

Paper Trail in August

Chants of Senaar in September

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk August 18th

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 19, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

went to look at the steam page and it said i already own it. cool. fun surprise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blasphemous 2 store page is up. https://store.steampowered.com/app/2114740/Blasphemous_2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm not a fan of roguelites for the most part, but I could always try a demo if it has one.

Neither am I but the game owns. The short runtimes between cities keep things fresh and every map is a new kind of challenge.