Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strong Sauce posted:

metamask is the most popular crypto wallet, it has a chrome extension. it is also really unintuitive to use and so users do things like expose the QR code that gives anyone access to wallets. so a common scam was to msg people on discord who were asking for help and pretending to be someone important or support and they'd trick people into giving up that qr code, or hell even the seed code.

since most people using crypto have zero opsec sense and basically have a big target on their back saying, "i have money, i use nfts, i am a mark"... it's not hard to see why those wallets were hacked.

and nevermind that opensea was just leaving random receipts around on their servers that allowed you to "rebuy" nfts at previous prices and all that jazz. whenever they find out how the hackers did it it'll be because someone decided some security detail was too difficult to implement and let something obvious through.

oh man i forgot the most funny one is hackers "gifting" nfts to people's wallets. if you tried to view the image of the nft, it was on the hackers servers and they'd ask for access to local storage on opensea.io and most of these dummies would say yes, or just click yes because it was a dialog box.

like the entire system is built on a house of cards. if the banking system was this flimsy and had the same amount of protection i'd just keep it all my money under my bed
It's NFT and Eth space so it's probably absolutely filthy Dunning Kruger opsec but I have a slightly manic thought/hope that this is some 0 day pseudorandom exploit that's abusing the master-pass-as-only-source-of-entropy problem not only because it would really make spies angry someone is using a 0 day for such a stupid reason but also it would really drive home:

VitalSigns posted:

https://twitter.com/tayvano_/status/1648187036552290304

This is the thing that's supposed to replace banks.

YOU CAN'T JUST KEEP YOUR SAVINGS IN THE SAME BANK FOR YEARS, YOU'VE GOT TO SPLIT IT UP INTO A DOZEN ACCOUNTS WHICH YOU ROLL OVER TO NEW ACCOUNTS ON A CONSTANT SCHEDULE OR YOUR RETIREMENT IS GONE FOREVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I have had people who are still proud poo touchers telling me that this sort of problem is a major issue for Crypto (joke of a security model) and that it needs a custodial solution. But given the risk factor and all I can't foresee one ever happening.

Meanwhile in the crypto group's they're celebrating gensler getting a hard time from gop when it's dumb soundbites. IE: https://twitter.com/sassal0x/status/1648338351832064003

edit: lol new trump NFT's that have already dropped 75% from cost:

https://twitter.com/MAGAoriginalist/status/1648356534382886912

$100 price selling for $10 ish already.

https://opensea.io/collection/trump-digital-trading-cards-series-2

.05 eth, eth around 2k.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 18, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Dumbies, you're supposed to sell the useless trinkets AFTER he dies. Not before!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

zedprime posted:

I have a slightly manic thought/hope that this is some 0 day pseudorandom exploit that's abusing the master-pass-as-only-source-of-entropy problem

My heart's desire is that it's some ultra stupid blatant bullshit that we called out in the thread years ago and forgot all about, the nuclear level of i-told-you-so will be beautiful

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

notwithoutmyanus posted:

edit: lol new trump NFT's that have already dropped 75% from cost:

https://twitter.com/MAGAoriginalist/status/1648356534382886912

$100 price selling for $10 ish already.

https://opensea.io/collection/trump-digital-trading-cards-series-2

.05 eth, eth around 2k.

It's almost even worse than most crypto scams, for many of them you at least have the excuse that the sponsor hasn't been indicted for criminal fraud.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

oh man i forgot the most funny one is hackers "gifting" nfts to people's wallets. if you tried to view the image of the nft, it was on the hackers servers and they'd ask for access to local storage on opensea.io and most of these dummies would say yes, or just click yes because it was a dialog box.

like the entire system is built on a house of cards. if the banking system was this flimsy and had the same amount of protection i'd just keep it all my money under my bed

these remind me a lot of scams and grifts that i came up with in Ultima online back in the day, based on random little tricks and issues in the game. My friends and i got pretty inventive and eventually all of our accounts were banned after we pulled a big con.

Makes my heart glad, is what I'm saying

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My bank use to lock up my account every month because of my Patreon account. Someone could empty your entire wallet and nobody can do poo poo.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

ChaseSP posted:

The online based ones are, the local storage ones should be pretty secure and not actually have a key stored anymore hopefully.

This actually isn't true either. Maybe LastPass is "bad" (you've heard a bunch of breaches of not password data) but it's asymmetric encryption and no one else can decrypt your vault, not even them. I have used 1password for nearly half a decade now with cloud storage, both my own personal corner and now 1password's family hosted solution. Someone could conceivably steal my vault from them, but then they'd have to guess my passphrase or otherwise brute force decrypting my vault.

Point is, it's not transparently bad to use a cloud based solution, but you do need to understand your threat model. Pick a secure passphrase, and don't keep spreading literal FUD about password managers. They are incredibly good, especially the cloud-based ones because of how simple it makes this for the lowest (or at least lower) common denominator.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

It's almost even worse than most crypto scams, for many of them you at least have the excuse that the sponsor hasn't been indicted for criminal fraud yet.

Fixed!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Keepass is free as in beer and speech and can optionally sync its encrypted database across platforms with a whole lot of different apis

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Keepass is very good and has a bunch of ranging of how it works in terms for how secure you want it which is frankly the best method of doing it. I just don't have much trust for cloud stuff in general given continuous hacks and exploits being found and far prefer the actual file storing the keys be on local drives even if I'm aware this isn't perfectly secure either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Having a keystore in the cloud is technically less secure since that's one fairly weak link. But it's still an encrypted keystore and the next step if someone got your keystore and needs to get in is still going to be the crowbar method.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just put all my passwords in a txt file on my desktop labeled "passwords don't read" but what makes it secure is that there are like 80 passwords in there and none of them are labeled.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Salt Fish posted:

I just put all my passwords in a txt file on my desktop labeled "passwords don't read" but what makes it secure is that there are like 80 passwords in there and none of them are labeled.

Take it one step further and make it so that none of them are right, either

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hmm so the thefts have been happening since december '22 and only to "OGs" who made their wallets a long time ago

like back when LastPass had hilariously weak PBKDF2 settings that never updated unless the user manually changed them and then their entire database got got in dec. of 22

hmmm

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Get a cool decoder ring and use it on them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just lol if Henrique doesn't courier you a fresh one time pad via diplomatic bag with your morning orange juice

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kit Walker posted:

Take it one step further and make it so that none of them are right, either

just make all your passwords the site name, but in pig latin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Just as the morning sun is rising over the mountains, if you hold the prisim in the right orientation the beam of light will reveal the true password.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

just make all your passwords the site name, but in pig latin

hey please don't give away my SA password!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah Keepass is very good and has a bunch of ranging of how it works in terms for how secure you want it which is frankly the best method of doing it. I just don't have much trust for cloud stuff in general given continuous hacks and exploits being found and far prefer the actual file storing the keys be on local drives even if I'm aware this isn't perfectly secure either.

Keepass rules, I use it + Syncthing to keep my password file synchronized across devices. There's even an Android app (and syncthing for android), so I can use it on mobile.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

these remind me a lot of scams and grifts that i came up with in Ultima online back in the day, based on random little tricks and issues in the game. My friends and i got pretty inventive and eventually all of our accounts were banned after we pulled a big con.

Makes my heart glad, is what I'm saying

Reminds me of the classic Diablo 2 scam. When you spoke in chat, your account's username was displayed in your chat handle. So the scam was going in chat and saying "Giving away my account, just whisper me what you want the password to be", then people would whisper you a password and immediately log out of their account to try that password on your account, meanwhile it was somehow always the password to their actual account that they had just conveniently logged out of.

e: Diablo 2 was pretty much the first crypto. My friends and I made some money in highschool by running D2 bots all day while we were at school, then going home to sell the drops the bot found for FG on d2jsp and then sell the FG for real money :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 18, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Diablo scams are how I learned VERY QUICKLY that the internet is all about scamming people, and it was scam or be scammed.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Diablo 2 was pretty much the first crypto. My friends and I made some money in highschool by running D2 bots all day while we were at school, then going home to sell the drops the bot found for FG on d2jsp and then sell the FG for real money :allears:

D2 trading makes a really good analogy for the "wait in a parking lot for a dealer to come exchange cash for bits" phase of bitcoin. Though it did get easier towards the end, once Paypal became more of a thing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

jokes posted:

Diablo scams are how I learned VERY QUICKLY that the internet is all about scamming people, and it was scam or be scammed.

I wonder if that's part of why this forum has a general higher distrust of crypto and decentralized unregulated economies than most other online communities. It's very comparable to a MMO economy and a large percentage of the userbase here has probably played an MMO long enough at some point to see how that plays out.

E: to add to the analogy, my only actual interaction with crypto ever was buying some Cardano in 2021 to profit off the exact same mechanic as MMO Patch Note Economics. In any MMO, if you read the patch notes they will mention items that will have higher demand in the next patch, and you can stockpile that item now to sell it for a gigantic markup on patch day to all the people who don't read the patch notes. I did that with Cardano because they literally announced a date that their highly-anticipated new smart contract system would launch 6+ months ahead of time, so I thought "Hmm, this reminds me of MMO patch notes" and bought a bunch at like $1.10 each and immediately sold it on "patch day" for 2.70 each. Unsurprisingly that smart contract update turned out to be garbage and the price tanked lower than ever before by the next day. But the sheer fact that "Huge new update!" with a specific timeframe was known meant that the date and time of the short-lived price spike could be predicted. It was pretty much insider trading except without regulations to prevent it, and "being an insider" only requires reading public statements that most of the userbase is uninterested in and/or ignorant of.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 19, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The same reasons I know that chatbot AI is doomed to end in racism and far-right-wing chuddery are the same reasons I know you can't trust anything on the internet: I played video games on the internet consistently since 9/11.

Spending time on the internet is a bit like 40k where they send out probes into the wider universe and all the data they ever get back are ork noises, but instead of ork noises it's ork noises and racism.

"The internet makes you stupid", and adding internet to things also makes them stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I learned early to assume literally everything on the internet is a scam til proven otherwise.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Keepass more like pee-rear end

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Reminds me of the classic Diablo 2 scam. When you spoke in chat, your account's username was displayed in your chat handle. So the scam was going in chat and saying "Giving away my account, just whisper me what you want the password to be", then people would whisper you a password and immediately log out of their account to try that password on your account, meanwhile it was somehow always the password to their actual account that they had just conveniently logged out of.

Wait I don't get how this scam works

Someone who thinks they're getting a free account would have to whisper their own password for the scam to work right? Why wouldn't they just make up a new password on the spot to whisper to the person supposedly giving away their account?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You're understanding it correctly, but this was 22 years ago (:gonk:) and people weren't as password-security-conscious as they are today. It was still years later that companies and online services in general realized that exposing login usernames publicly to other users is a fantastically-bad idea.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Because people love to use the same password over and over for all their accounts, especially back in the day.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah but you could just say some throwaway thing like "Frogger123" or something then change it to your real password after so no one else has to know the one password you use for everything.

But yeah okay I get it the scam relied on people just impulsively saying the first thing that came to mind to get the free account, which was their own account password often enough for the scam to be worthwhile.

E: please don't use password Frogger123 to steal my SA account tia

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You know the classic quote, "There's a sucker born every minute"?

There are 266 people born every minute, and almost all of them are suckers.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

My favorite scam was "Drop your most expensive item by the fence here and I'll go over there so that you know I cannot steal it (pinky swear) so I know that you can be trusted to be let into the clan/teamspeak/irc/whathaveyou."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nomad2020 posted:

My favorite scam was "Drop your most expensive item by the fence here and I'll go over there so that you know I cannot steal it (pinky swear) so I know that you can be trusted to be let into the clan/teamspeak/irc/whathaveyou."

I played a lot of D2 but only single player, how would they steal it.

Could they run over and grab it before the other person reacted, or would they have an accomplice, or was there some remote item grabbing ability?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

There were a couple of versions that I know of, but the one I know how was a glitch. You couldn't use spells 'in town', but you could use say teleport from outside the town wall into the town.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also now you have to sign up and set a password for something or other practically daily and they all want long passwords with numbers and symbols

also LastPass got hacked

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

jokes posted:

For me it was EVE. Like, holy poo poo does this crypto poo poo feel like something right out of New Eden.

E:

I wonder if that's part of why this forum has a general higher distrust of crypto and decentralized unregulated economies than most other online communities. It's very comparable to a MMO economy and a large percentage of the userbase here has probably played an MMO long enough at some point to see how that plays out.

E: to add to the analogy, my only actual interaction with crypto ever was buying some Cardano in 2021 to profit off the exact same mechanic as MMO Patch Note Economics. In any MMO, if you read the patch notes they will mention items that will have higher demand in the next patch, and you can stockpile that item now to sell it for a gigantic markup on patch day to all the people who don't read the patch notes.
The EVE devs did a pretty hilarious troll to try to discourage this kind of thing once. They claimed they were going to increase the blueprint price of Small Tractor Beam 1 or some such from 250k to a million isk, but then didn't actually do it. I remember reading on the forums some jagoff had bought like 1000 of them was exceptionally angry about it.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 19, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sardonik posted:

The EVE devs did a pretty hilarious troll to try to discourage this kind of thing once. They claimed they were going to increase the blueprint price of Small Tractor Beam 1 or some such from 250k to a million isk, but then didn't actually do it. I remember reading on the forums some jagoff had bought like 1000 of them was exceptionally angry about it.

Reminds me of the guy who came in to one of these threads in early 2021 asking if bitcoin was good to get in to now, since he missed out on grifting people by buying up all the toilet paper and hand sanitiser, and wanted to get in on a ground floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone who isn't a sucker

TayTay ... rules?