Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dorkopotamis posted:

Courtly Ideas seems really good if just for being the only(?) idea group that allows you to directly increase monthly mana

I kinda want to play a game where I lean into Mercenary ideas hard. It seems to me that it might be really good to go something like Mercenary - Administrative - Trade, maybe with a nation that has inherent Artillery bonuses in its own ideas.

e. Burgundy with Mercenary Ideas looks pretty good...

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

CommonShore posted:

I kinda want to play a game where I lean into Mercenary ideas hard. It seems to me that it might be really good to go something like Mercenary - Administrative - Trade, maybe with a nation that has inherent Artillery bonuses in its own ideas.

e. Burgundy with Mercenary Ideas looks pretty good...

Halflings in Anbennar get a 50% discount on merc maintenance and 7.5 merc discipline. Can't wait to mess around with the new merc group.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Obviously but why

That's the monarchy color for portugal, it's previous color was for republic portugal.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fair enough! it's important to please the euronerds

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Give me Red Venice you motherfuckers!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Give me Red Venice you motherfuckers!!

Communism is outside the games timescope

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It was a bit confusing at first seeing a non-French blue Caribbean.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Playing a Sich Rada nation for the first time ever and I notice the "receive fleeing serfs" decision, which should be very powerful and increase base development in a random province, doesn't actually do that. It doesn't seem to improve development at all.

Am I reading this wrong, or is this a bug?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cynic Jester posted:

Halflings in Anbennar get a 50% discount on merc maintenance and 7.5 merc discipline. Can't wait to mess around with the new merc group.

There’s also Lott Dekhang or whatever they’re called in Haless. Their whole MT is built around mercs and they get tons of merc bonuses and unique elite merc companies

e: dug up a post I made about them when they were first added, here's the merc modifiers I had with the old idea sets:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 19, 2023

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Playing the Angevins is fun once you reach the point where AE is just a number, because goddamn does the HRE hate me now

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Playing the Angevins is fun once you reach the point where AE is just a number, because goddamn does the HRE hate me now

Are the Union parliamentary acts only doable via first pressing the decision button?

I was kind of miffed that I apparently let PU'd France get too big and had to figure out how to whittle them down to sub-25 provinces (aka integrate for like 40 years) to hit the button and quit out of frustration instead.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Laith is that you?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sheep posted:

Are the Union parliamentary acts only doable via first pressing the decision button?

I was kind of miffed that I apparently let PU'd France get too big and had to figure out how to whittle them down to sub-25 provinces (aka integrate for like 40 years) to hit the button and quit out of frustration instead.

Yeah, as far as I can tell.

I had the same issue, I'd let them get to 28 provinces and it sucked. I ended up having to release a couple of nations that still had cores on French territory and then use favours to return cores.

Somehow still quicker to farm a couple hundred favours than the 40+ years to integrate

Mooseontheloose posted:

Laith is that you?

Pfft, as if I'd be someone who did videos about Hogfarts Legacy

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be fair to him it's a joke video.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't gotten to admin 5 yet but I started a Burgundy run and Burgundy might be broken now with the updated French vassal stuff. I was able to steal all of France's boys and become the #1 great power by like 1450. Oh and I took some poo poo from Provence and England too. Sure, the entire HRE is in a coalition against me but they're cowards and won't declare.

I don't know how easy that was before but this felt a bit too easy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah winning the 100 years war as england has never been easier

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Canonize red Ottomans and Muscovy Paradox you cowards

You've done so many good colour changes you are almost there

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The....gently caress...?!?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If separate peaces do not reduce zeal, then you declare on your intended targets' allies while making your intended targets cobelligerents. take all of your land in separate peaces and white peace the country you declared on in the end. That way you'll never lose zeal?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If separate peaces do not reduce zeal, then you declare on your intended targets' allies while making your intended targets cobelligerents. take all of your land in separate peaces and white peace the country you declared on in the end. That way you'll never lose zeal?

I think you want to lose zeal so you don't hit 100.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oh, my eyes were glued to those juicy modifiers and i missed the red text entirely. well, hmm

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dorkopotamis posted:

Courtly Ideas seems really good if just for being the only(?) idea group that allows you to directly increase monthly mana

Well. Mana income increases and mana cost reductions are functionally equivalent. Though this is pretty strong by those standards. The -10% tech cost in Innovative is worth, I think, about 13.7 MP per year (60 MP per tech, 3 techs every 13 years on average)- the category specific reductions in Admin, Diplo and Merc are a third of that (4.5 MP/year). -10% idea cost for full Humanist is 6.6 MP/year (280 MP per idea group, one idea group every 42 years).

Stability, core, dev cost etc. are harder to evaluate but are probably worth a lot. Free policy slots? That's 12 MP/year if you have a good policy to stick in them. Advisor cost reduction is a soft equivalent too, as it reduces the cost of turning gold into MP. And innovativeness gain has to be worth something even if it's not much.

The more I look at the groups the more ideas seem to be about reducing MP expenditure in some way.

e: The flipside of this though is there's like, diminishing returns on most things you can buy with MP? With the possible exception of cores.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 19, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah Ive had some games where I have obnoxious amounts of excess points and I'm not sure what to do with them. Now that they've nerfed slackening we've lost a good mil point dump, too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Make the tallest capital ever

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Oh cool, another DLC with a hidden "Convert to Fanatic Purifier" decision.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bought a month of the eu4 subscription thing, I wish it was cheaper for those of us who already bought a bunch of the dlc over the years, from Conquest of Paradise to Leviathan, hundreds of dollars. Right now I feel a little cheated

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I just buy DLC whenever Anbennar implements something that requires one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
You fools, you lost 3 songs by not preordering this DLC.

On a more serious note, I like that Tinto DLCs don't feel like they're gating a better version of a game behind DLC. I can never buy this expansion and will still have a great time, but the list of additions makes me want to get it. This is the way. I didn't like PDX DLC policy of CK2 era.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evidently the modability of the never government status bars and special units are significantly higher than the same sort of things in prior DLCs. For Anbennar specifically several new Ynn nations are planning to use them, as are skewered drake, and the centaur rework. Not sure if they actually require the DLC to use.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

CommonShore posted:

I haven't gotten to admin 5 yet but I started a Burgundy run and Burgundy might be broken now with the updated French vassal stuff. I was able to steal all of France's boys and become the #1 great power by like 1450. Oh and I took some poo poo from Provence and England too. Sure, the entire HRE is in a coalition against me but they're cowards and won't declare.

I don't know how easy that was before but this felt a bit too easy.

The only thing the french vassal change did is prevent France from eating them before they get to 50 percent crownland, which means they stick around for longer giving a longer window to steal them.
However, it was still easy before (since you could just rush mil tech 4, click the mission that makes the vassals disloyal, and then 1v1 France easily) but you generally wouldnt wanna do it because if youre releasing Champagne, Normandy, Gascony, and Toulouse (which you should if you wanna devour France asap) you wind up with a staggering 12ish subjects plus whatever allies you may want. It leads to you having negative diplo point gen even without actively diplo annexing and the only reason you would want to steal a bunch of 1 or 2 province vassals (just feed them to other, larger vassals with cores on them trust me) is if youre intentionally abusing the Burgundian Inheritance to fall under PU with a massively weakened France to insta inherit all that poo poo and praying that your new AI overlord doesnt kowtow to the AI emperor and force release all that land you just took.

Its an easy enough exploit to get to ~800 dev by 1470ish as Burgundy but its "better" to grow slowly and stably

As an aside, I just abandoned a Lothar game yesterday after doing the above because Burgundy synergizes really well with the new idea groups. I was running 120 merc regiments on a 110 monthly ducat income and still netting ~60 ducats a month.
Also with the addition of more sources of Merc discipline (and merc militarization my god) they are actually viable as a stand in for manpower troops. I basically just had cannons with manpower and cheap bodies to shield them with

Dorkopotamis posted:

Am I missing something or does this only increase your diplo mana by 1? doesnt seem that incredible by itself tbh

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 19, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Takes like 30 years to pay for itself (assuming the idea cost you 400)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Jay Rust posted:

If it was admin points, I'd consider it

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Jay Rust posted:

its the 7th idea in the set so if youre only taking the idea group for +1 diplo it would take you 2800 points or ~233 years for break even. Theres some other decent poo poo in the idea group including some of the policies so its not awful but absolutely not worth taking Court first or solely for +1 diplo; thats insanely wasteful

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Mr. Grinch posted:

Am I missing something or does this only increase your diplo mana by 1? doesnt seem that incredible by itself tbh

It's pretty good! Outside of that it offers a rare source of Republican Tradition (if you're a republic, other bonuses for other government types), extra reform progress, yearly prestige, better estates.

Courtly ideas is overall one of the better groups in the diplo line, I think. It might be my current favorite if I'm playing a tall game.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this game looks so freaking old now. fired it up the other day and i had to double check i hadn't accidentally hit play on eu3

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this game looks so freaking old now. fired it up the other day and i had to double check i hadn't accidentally hit play on eu3

Time to fire up EU3 and truly make your eyes bleed. Those polygon-rear end provinces :cry:

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Is there some new event/mission which blows up the HRE? Been playing a Japan game and haven't had much reason to keep checking on Europe, just peeked over and the HRE was gone in the 1620s (the Catholics had already won the 30 Years War). I've never seen the AI blow up the Empire with the specific war goal to do so before.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I blame fonts. Try a font mod like MRBM.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2506263674

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Prussia actually forms regularly now so maybe that had something to do with it?