Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Lemming posted:

This is literally the plot of a Star Trek episode where they go back in time to 2024. It's the catalyst for a massive anti-capitalist movement in America and eventually Earth as a whole.

Of course, it was based on something that was kind of already happening so I guess it's not that weird. Unfortunately.

I'd vote for Benjamin SiskoGabriel Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

rscott posted:

$800 million is not an insignificant account of money and News Corp is a publicly traded company, that's more than their net profits for last year. If they also lose or have to settle with that other voting systems company for similar amounts, that is going to really kind of hurt their ability to operate in the way they want to. You could even see the Murdochs removed from control of the company

Fox News isn't owned by News Corp - it's owned by Fox Corporation, a legally distinct entity from News Corp. Rupert Murdoch thought about merging them a few months ago, but abandoned the idea.

e: eh, I'll explain. In 2013, News Corporation split in two - News Corp (which focuses on print media) and 21st Century Fox (which was film and TV). In 2019, the modern Fox Corporation was spun off of 21st Century Fox, and what was left was bought by the Walt Disney Company.

e2: Wikipedia lists Fox Corporation's profits for 2021 at $2.15 billion, fwiw

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 19, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah, on the one hand the settlement isn't exactly an existential monetary threat to fox corp

On the other hand, as Paineframe notes, telling your investors "actually we slashed this year's profit by 40% because of a concerted and knowing effort to lie feloniously and undermine the election" doesn't make them happy. Thanks to capitalism, even the Fox Corp investors who are basically on board with its ideology (as opposed to just wanting to make infinity dollars or, in some cases, have a better shot at burying embarrassing stories - looking at you, saudi arabia) are going to be asking some awkward questions about the stewardship of their money.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Uh... so about the Trump Tent Rehab Cities.

Putting aside what dystopian nightmare he is offering America, isn't this a little too close to Obama's FEMA camps that his supporters are so afraid of?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah, on the one hand the settlement isn't exactly an existential monetary threat to fox corp

On the other hand, as Paineframe notes, telling your investors "actually we slashed this year's profit by 40% because of a concerted and knowing effort to lie feloniously and undermine the election" doesn't make them happy. Thanks to capitalism, even the Fox Corp investors who are basically on board with its ideology (as opposed to just wanting to make infinity dollars or, in some cases, have a better shot at burying embarrassing stories - looking at you, saudi arabia) are going to be asking some awkward questions about the stewardship of their money.

Also when it comes up in negotiations with cable companies. Previously Fox News has been shoehorned into cable packages because their viewerbase was a) reliable cable watchers and b) became utterly rabid if cable companies even looked like they'd remove the source of their anger addiction. This let Fox/Fox News basically charge the cable companies 2-3x what any other network did for their programming and is part of why every cable package always included Fox: the cable companies wanted to recoup their money by making every single customer pay for at least a little bit.

Now, Fox News ain't looking so hot: even though they did finally settle it was long after some horribly embarrassing poo poo came out, and many of their rage addicts have started to shamble over to OAN to get the harder stuff. There's blood in the water now. So next time contracts come up that's a potential income stream that's going to shrink as the cable companies would likely absolutely love cutting down on those costs.

Is the settlement disappointing? Absolutely. Are Fox New's woes over? Not by a long shot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Putting aside what dystopian nightmare he is offering America, isn't this a little too close to Obama's FEMA camps that his supporters are so afraid of?

The idea of setting up a place for homeless people to get a chance to safely give them a chance to grapple with their addictions and get them under control, get back on their feet and give them a fresh start in life isn't necessarily a bad thing, but joined with the "Go to the camp or go to jail" and that It's, y'know, Trump suggesting this, makes me VERY concerned that Trump heard about Johnathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" and we're going to see Trump brand Chili shortly after the "camp" opens.

Amd the sad part is, I'm not sure if I'm actually joking about that last part.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty sure the plan is to let corporations 'hire' them for 10c / hour and no you don't get to refuse. The prison industrial system, expanded!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nenonen posted:

"Obama, as a black man, was clearly going to hurt me a "successful" white person. But we need to do something about the undesirables."

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah, Trump's rehab cities are not at all about actually helping people experiencing homelessness, it's just this:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Another day, another shooting of someone in the wrong place:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/19/us/texas-cheerleaders-woodlands-elite-shooting/index.html

CNN posted:

Authorities have arrested the man they say shot two teenage cheerleaders after one said she mistook the suspect’s vehicle as her own in a supermarket parking lot near Texas’ capital – at least the third incident this week in which young people who’d made an apparent mistake were met with gunfire.

Pedro Tello Rodriguez Jr., 25, was taken into custody early Tuesday, the Elgin Police Department said in a news release later that morning.

Officers responding just after midnight Tuesday to an H-E-B supermarket parking lot found two people in a vehicle who’d been struck by bullets, police said, citing preliminary reports. One with serious injuries was rushed by helicopter to a hospital and in critical condition, while the other was treated at the scene, the release said.

The latter girl had gotten out of a friend’s car and opened the door to a vehicle she thought was hers, only to find a man sitting in the passenger seat, she said during a livestreamed prayer vigil Tuesday night at her cheer team’s gym, CNN affiliate KTRK reported.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Somebody shoots someone over literally absolutely nothing" is like "train derailment" in that it's something the media is reporting a lot of examples of right now, but is also something that happens 20 times every week and has for years. Of course, unlike train derailments, the shootings are getting worse, and they kill a hell of a lot more people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is good when the news reports things that happen too often.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Something something teaching people that everyone is an enemy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Of course not! Trump is talking about doing it to them.

nerox
May 20, 2001
It's getting to where a 15 year old kid won't feel safe from shootings even at his factory job after school.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, okay. But how is that gonna work if Trump wins your nomination? :thunk:

https://twitter.com/CNNOpinion/status/1648440597722853377

EDIT: 4 minutes! Wow!

https://twitter.com/paulwaldman1/status/1648309767096377348

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 19, 2023

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Trump is sort of on the right track with homelessness in that you need to have a multi-faceted approach, and there needs to be coercion at some level, but I have zero faith in Republicans to execute a plan like that in a humane way.

It’s an incredibly complex issue that can’t really be boiled down into one or two causes with one or two solutions. People like to latch on to a single thing like housing prices or drug addiction but the reality is that it’s a complex web of social and economic problems leading to homelessness. To make it worse, the things you need to do to fix homelessness long term are different than what you need to do to fix it in the short term.

For example if you have someone who’s been living on the streets for a few years and gotten addicted to drugs, simply giving them housing is not going to fix their drug addiction or their learned antisocial behaviors. But additional housing is absolutely necessary to fix the issue in the long term.

You also run into issues of personal liberty since there is always going to be some portion of the homeless population that doesn’t want help and just wants to continue living how they are. I’ve seen it first hand where help is refused (for a number of reasons) and at the moment you can’t really do anything in that situation.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
He just wants to do migrant detention facilities except the homeless. Everyone here is putting more thought into it than he has.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Dominion says they still have pending defamation litigation against Newsmax, OAN, Mike Lindell, Overstock founder Patrick Byrne, Rudy Giuliani, and Sidney Powell.

There probably won't be anything especially interesting or juicy during discovery for those cases, unfortunately. Newsmax has already settled a different lawsuit from Dominion, so I wouldn't be surprised if they settled again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Smartmatic also has a case against Fox and they are putting out aggressive statements, but I wouldn't read anything in to them beyond attorneys trying to scare the other side into a higher settlement.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1648427447858380800

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dominion says they still have pending defamation litigation against Newsmax, OAN, Mike Lindell, Overstock founder Patrick Byrne, Rudy Giuliani, and Sidney Powell.

There probably won't be anything especially interesting or juicy during discovery for those cases, unfortunately. Newsmax has already settled a different lawsuit from Dominion, so I wouldn't be surprised if they settled again.

Yeah, there will definitely be more cases coming. Beau of the Fifth Column just put out a video talking about more cases coming against Fox specifically.

Here are the key points that he mentions:
  • There's another suit against them from Smartmatic who are asking for even more money in damages.
  • With Fox settling on this case, they've shown that they're willing to settle regarding this issue, and may have opened the floodgates WRT others bringing legal action against them.
  • Potential cases could come from Jan 6 rioters, the capitol police and staffers who were there that day, states suing for managing protests and the resulting damages, states suing for the cost of the recounts they all had to do
  • Fox's reputation is damaged by these cases. And while there are die-hard fans, there are others who this will open their eyes.
  • People who are trying to get Fox removed from certain areas, such as Military Installations, now have a lot more ammo to use towards removing them.
  • While lots of companies settle when they're being sued, Fox has pretty explicitly settled to avoid this trial. Jurors were already selected and seated. The "preventing the cost of trial" argument doesn't hold here. They basically paid $787M to avoid a trial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPfjcCdhMFA

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is there any validity to Garland moving marijuana and Adderall to Schedule 2?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

E: Beat the 10-second post timer and double posted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nonsense posted:

Not really. What did you hear specifically?

Biden ordered a review of pot's scheduling, but nothing about Adderall. There have been no announcements about the results of the pot review yet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nonsense posted:

Adderall is a schedule 2 drug already I believe. Cannabis is schedule 1; the administration ordered a review of its status some time ago, which can cause a schedule shift based on an evidence review by several agencies. It would require passing a law to manually and unilaterally shift it.

Generally speaking any action on cannabis is a shitshow because there are billions of dollars of the worst people imaginable invested in every possible outcome, and now the extant grey market is similarly saturated with largely unregulated products.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Artonos posted:

He just wants to do migrant detention facilities except the homeless. Everyone here is putting more thought into it than he has.

Yeah seriously. The only surprising thing about this is that it's not obviously a reactionary proposal to some specific thing The Libs are doing. I'm not entirely sure who put the idea in his head. But it's the kind of simple solution that sounds well-intentioned at first blush (I mean, except for the jail part which is a huge red flag) but even someone who actually knew what they were doing, an wanted desperately to do the right thing, would probably fail to implement it humanely. Let alone Trump.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not really. What did you hear specifically?

Biden ordered a review of pot's scheduling, but nothing about Adderall. There have been no announcements about the results of the pot review yet.

I had been hearing about the pot scheduling here but the Adderall question came from a friend who's prescribed it, I'm glad to know that he wasn't correct about it being rescheduled. I was just worried that the pot review might include that drug as well since Garland also announced a crack down on fentanyl trafficking.

Discendo Vox posted:

Adderall is a schedule 2 drug already I believe. Cannabis is schedule 1; the administration ordered a review of its status some time ago, which can cause a schedule shift based on an evidence review by several agencies. It would require passing a law to manually and unilaterally shift it.

Generally speaking any action on cannabis is a shitshow because there are billions of dollars of the worst people imaginable invested in every possible outcome, and now the extant grey market is similarly saturated with largely unregulated products.

Thank you, was imagining the pot review not going super well, but there is still hope I suppose.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah adderall is schedule 2; with the notable exception of weed where the government has not chosen not to enforce the law, schedule 1 drugs cannot be prescribed because part of the definition is that they have “no medical purpose.” Adderall pretty conclusively does. (I suppose there are people out there for whom “I feel like poo poo when I don’t take this and okay when I do” doesn’t register as a valid medical purpose, but they are [currently] in the minority.)

I think it’s actually pretty important to reschedule cannabis ASAP; we just assume the status quo of a hands-off federal government will continue forever, because legalization enjoys such high popularity right now. That could change, especially given the overwhelming proliferation of law and order narratives that’s been going on since the pandemic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

E: Beat the timer again, I think my phone is registering two taps very quickly for some reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden and Congressional Dems say they won't negotiate over the debt limit no matter what Republicans do. House Republicans are still trying to find a way to craft a bill that will get almost every member of the caucus to vote for it. If they do, then it is officially a game of chicken and one side will have to blink.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1648490846202007559

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes the correct response is to not play the game here

Once you start to capitulate at all things will go south

Plus the House GOP is extremely disorganized and were barely able to elect a speaker in the first place so I have low confidence that they will be able to pass their own bill

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Artonos posted:

And giving him way too much credit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Seph posted:

Trump is sort of on the right track with homelessness in that you need to have a multi-faceted approach, and there needs to be coercion at some level, but I have zero faith in Republicans to execute a plan like that in a humane way.

Correct, also Democrats won't either. The only solution acceptable in mainstream politics is a combination of slavery and extermination camps.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The most important part of the Democrats keeping the Senate in 2022 is happening today: The second public hearing on UFOs and under oath testimony from the new UFO (technically "UAP," but I will never switch from UFO) director.

The hearing is supposed to start at 10:30 EST.

quote:

Pentagon's 'UFO' tracking efforts focus of Senate hearing

In a rare open hearing, lawmakers on Wednesday are set to question the head of the Pentagon's office charged with tracking UFOs -- or what the Defense Department calls unexplained anomalous phenomena (UAP).

The director of the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office, Sean M. Kirkpatrick, will testify before the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities on the AARO's mission and budget, with some senators expressing concerns over whether the Pentagon's effort is getting adequately funded.

This is only the second recent hearing on the subject -- following the first one in more than 50 years happening last May.

The ongoing review by the U.S. intelligence community and the Pentagon of hundreds of UAP incidents reported by military personnel was one of the techniques that helped identify that China was carrying out a foreign surveillance program using balloons, a U.S. official said in February.

That review of UAP incidents in recent years, required by congressional legislation, helped inform the identification process of the threat posed by China's balloon program and how it was being done according to the official.

The U.S. intelligence community said in January that the number of UFO reports involving U.S. military personnel is increasing, "enabling a greater awareness of the airspace and increased opportunity to resolve" what is actually being reported.

Roughly half of the new incidents reported in the report had terrestrial explanations, the report said.

The increase in reporting is being partially attributed to the continuing effort to destigmatize the reporting of such incidents and to focus on the potential safety risks they could pose to U.S. personnel.

The report released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said that since its first June 2021 unclassified report on what are now called Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena (UAPs), it is now aware of 510 such reports.

That is significantly more than the 144 incidents reviewed in the initial report, only one of which could be explained.

The report said the Pentagon's new office looking at UAP reports has looked at 366 new reported incidents and initially determined that about half of them have "unremarkable characteristics."

Twenty-six are being attributed to drones, 163 are characterized as balloons or balloon-like entities, and six are attributed to clutter.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pentagons-ufo-tracking-efforts-focus-senate-hearing/story?id=98691663

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Six Attributed to clutter" makes me think this means someone got gunk on the radar screen

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Technically, "balloon-like entities" could just as easily mean the thing from Nope.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nameless Pete posted:

Technically, "balloon-like entities" could just as easily mean the thing from Nope.

That's what they want you to believe so you won't look directly at it.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Yeah the military actually has a vested interest in making its equipment better and more reliable. Looking it WTF readings is part of that. Finding out that something actually was there would also be a vested interest, as the balloons kinda demonstrate. If the result is 'we moved to a way more systematic method of reproducing and fixing sensor issues' that's unironically money spent on something more useful than the rags report it as. The military knows its not aliens.

If it comes down to sending out AFCs to clean the radar dish covers more frequently or painting a spot on the wings that blinds the sensor in one orientation a matter gray that's at least mildly productive.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Artonos posted:

Didn't realize Trump was just a bog standard California liberal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nm