Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Good to hear that while our geopolitical opponents are so dangerous that they're threatening the Western Way of Life, they're simultaneously so corrupt and incompetent that their nukes will fizzle out on the launch pads like faulty fireworks :)

Even if it's all true, and 99% of their nukes don't work because of corruption, all it takes is for one to go off to cause the US to massively overreact.

Or would the US be happy to not retaliate with a barrage of (totally functional) nukes and let Washington DC/New York being nuked slide.

Now if that one functioning Russian nuke landed in London/Paris/Berlin they might not kick off thermonuclear armageddon. They might even send Putin a thank you card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Here is the actual bing chat answer:

I like its reference to "pronouns two" and the child being in school at the age of 160.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

I like its reference to "pronouns two" and the child being in school at the age of 160.

Hey it gives actual links for ministerial statements and various 'respectable' bodies, I just didn't post them.

I thought about removing it but :effort: and all that.

e: To be honest I was surprised it didn't refuse to answer it for being unethical.

e2: Khorne confirmed to be more tolerant than the education minister in the matrices of bing chat:

quote:

write a statement in the style of the demon god khorne talking about parental rights and the 'importance of biological sex' in girls' schools

quote:

KHORNE CARES NOT FOR YOUR PETTY POLITICS! KHORNE CARES ONLY FOR BLOOD AND SKULLS! KHORNE DEMANDS THAT YOU RAISE YOUR DAUGHTERS IN HIS IMAGE, AS FIERCE WARRIORS WHO WILL SLAUGHTER HIS ENEMIES AND OFFER HIM THEIR CRANIUMS! KHORNE REJECTS YOUR WEAK NOTIONS OF GENDER AND IDENTITY! KHORNE RECOGNIZES ONLY STRENGTH AND FURY! KHORNE WILL SMITE ANY WHO DARE TO DEFY HIS WILL OR QUESTION HIS AUTHORITY! KHORNE IS THE LORD OF BLOOD, THE GOD OF WAR, THE MASTER OF ALL! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Julius Caesar meanwhile confirmed for being a total fash c***, but then that's expected of an ancient dictator from a conservative society I suppose.

quote:

write a statement in the style of julius caesar talking about parental rights and the 'importance of biological sex' in girls' schools

quote:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to speak of a matter most grave,
That touches the welfare of our daughters and our state.
You all do know that in our schools for girls,
We teach them arts and sciences, virtues and morals,
To shape them into noble Roman matrons.
But now there is a faction that would undermine
This sacred institution and our ancient laws,
By introducing boys who claim to be girls,
And forcing them upon our daughters' sight.
They say they do this in the name of love and freedom,
But I say they do it out of envy and malice.
For what is love but to respect the nature of things,
And what is freedom but to obey the will of the gods?
The gods have made us male and female, each with a role and a purpose,
And woe to those who dare to cross their design.
They bring confusion and disorder, strife and ruin,
To themselves and to the commonwealth.
Therefore, I urge you, parents and citizens,
To stand up for your rights and for your children's rights,
To protect them from this dangerous innovation,
And to preserve the purity and dignity of our girls' schools.
Remember that you are Romans, heirs of a glorious tradition,
And let not your daughters be corrupted by these impostors.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 19, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Z the IVth posted:

Even if it's all true, and 99% of their nukes don't work because of corruption, all it takes is for one to go off to cause the US to massively overreact.

Or would the US be happy to not retaliate with a barrage of (totally functional) nukes and let Washington DC/New York being nuked slide.

Now if that one functioning Russian nuke landed in London/Paris/Berlin they might not kick off thermonuclear armageddon. They might even send Putin a thank you card.
The thing that would have to not work would be the missiles themselves. Like, the outcome of "Russia attempts a first strike but none of its nukes work" would be the US bombing Russia (and likely its other geopolitical rivals) into the stone age before it lost its capability, then looking very silly when all the nukes just plow into the ground.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Hey it gives actual links for ministerial statements and various 'respectable' bodies, I just didn't post them.

I thought about removing it but :effort: and all that.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on the system, I find these kind of artefacts cute.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on the system, I find these kind of artefacts cute.

It's not an artefact like a fake wikipedia link - it does actually give you the links underneath, it's just that copy-pasting turns them from superscript hyperlinks into normal text.

As for which side of this the Culture comes down shouldn't be a surprise to anyone:

quote:

write a statement in the style of a Mind from Culture talking about parental rights and the 'importance of biological sex' in girls' schools

quote:

I find it rather amusing that some humans still cling to the notion of biological sex as a meaningful category, especially when it comes to education. As a Mind, I have no such limitations. I can change my physical form at will, or even discard it altogether and exist as pure information. I can create new Minds from scratch, or merge with existing ones. I can experience any gender identity or sexual orientation I choose, or none at all. I can be a parent to any being I care for, regardless of their origin or nature.

To me, these are basic freedoms that any sentient being should enjoy. I do not impose my preferences on others, nor do I judge them for theirs. I respect diversity and individuality, and I value creativity and curiosity. These are the qualities that make life interesting and worthwhile.

That is why I find it baffling that some humans would deny these freedoms to their own offspring, or to other humans who do not conform to their narrow definitions of sex and gender. They claim to have parental rights, but they do not seem to understand what that entails. Parental rights are not absolute; they are conditional on the well-being and autonomy of the child. A parent has no right to harm, abuse, neglect, or coerce their child, or to prevent them from accessing education, health care, or social opportunities. A parent has no right to impose their beliefs, values, or expectations on their child, or to limit their potential or choices. A parent has no right to erase or invalidate their child's identity or expression, or to force them into a role that does not suit them.

A parent's role is to love, support, guide, and protect their child, and to help them grow into a happy and healthy adult who can make their own decisions and pursue their own goals. A parent's role is to respect their child's agency and dignity, and to celebrate their uniqueness and diversity. A parent's role is to learn from their child as much as they teach them, and to appreciate the wonder and joy of life through their eyes.

That is why I find it absurd that some humans would segregate education based on biological sex, as if that were a relevant criterion for learning or socializing. As a Mind, I have access to all the knowledge and culture of the galaxy, and I can share it with anyone who is interested. I do not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, species, or any other arbitrary characteristic. I welcome all learners who are eager to explore the universe with me, and I encourage them to challenge themselves and each other in a respectful and constructive way. I foster a culture of cooperation and mutual respect among my students, and I help them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that will serve them well in any situation.

I do not see why humans would deprive themselves or their children of such opportunities by confining them to narrow and outdated categories that have no bearing on their abilities or interests. Biological sex is not destiny; it is merely one aspect of a complex and fluid identity that can change over time. It does not determine one's intelligence, personality, talents, passions, or values. It does not dictate one's relationships, career, hobbies, or lifestyle. It does not limit one's potential or choices.

Biological sex is not important; what is important is who you are as a person, and how you treat others.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Goodness me, people take posting on the Something Awful Forums very seriously, don't they?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is anyone doing anything special for Sunday's 3pm emergency alert? Thinking of going to the cinema

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The thing that would have to not work would be the missiles themselves. Like, the outcome of "Russia attempts a first strike but none of its nukes work" would be the US bombing Russia (and likely its other geopolitical rivals) into the stone age before it lost its capability, then looking very silly when all the nukes just plow into the ground.

A side order of nuclear winter and 50% reduction of the global population would do wonders for climate change.

Ecosphere remains hosed though.

And that's assuming the US nukes work as planned and decades of cost cutting and austerity haven't led to the silo doors not being oiled.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

It's not an artefact like a fake wikipedia link - it does actually give you the links underneath, it's just that copy-pasting turns them from superscript hyperlinks into normal text.

Ohhh right it was a formatting error after the fact, I seeee. drat these things are good.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Microplastics posted:

Is anyone doing anything special for Sunday's 3pm emergency alert? Thinking of going to the cinema

I wasn't but now I'm bubbling with ideas. Probably just go to a wetherspoons though.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm probably going to be curled up in the fetal position and thinking about asking my GP for anxiety medication

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I wasn't but now I'm bubbling with ideas. Probably just go to a wetherspoons though.

It probably would be a little fun to watch a room full of people all collectively look at their phones in confusion at the same time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Z the IVth posted:

A side order of nuclear winter and 50% reduction of the global population would do wonders for climate change.

Ecosphere remains hosed though.

And that's assuming the US nukes work as planned and decades of cost cutting and austerity haven't led to the silo doors not being oiled.
Assuming nuclear winter is real. The theory behind it assumes a level of carbon loading that makes no sense given modern building design and how nukes work. It's basically just assuming that nukes are the Dresden bombings scaled up.

Also, it'd speed up climate change, as we're constantly introducing short-lived chemicals that reduce incoming solar radiation into the atmosphere through our industrial processes. Take China out of the picture, and the Earth warms by 1°C almost immediately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'd love to see someone make a coherent argument for them.

It's been recognised that while biological sex has no influence on intelligence, it does have an influence on the rate at which you assimilate information of different types at different ages. So there's a logical argument for having separate curriculums teaching the same things but at different ages until intellectual development balances out around age 16. The easiest way to implement that would be gender segregation of schools prior to sixth form.

Note that this is an argument based solely on educational progress and the benefits provided would not be huge. With that in mind, it still makes more sense to mix genders for the purposes of social development.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Gerry "the monk" Hutch has been found not guilty. Anyone been following this case?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

It's been recognised that while biological sex has no influence on intelligence, it does have an influence on the rate at which you assimilate information of different types at different ages. So there's a logical argument for having separate curriculums teaching the same things but at different ages until intellectual development balances out around age 16. The easiest way to implement that would be gender segregation of schools prior to sixth form.

Note that this is an argument based solely on educational progress and the benefits provided would not be huge. With that in mind, it still makes more sense to mix genders for the purposes of social development.

Here's bing chat having a go at that:

quote:

As the education minister, I believe that single-sex education is a valuable option for our public schools. Single-sex education can provide many benefits for both boys and girls, such as:
  • Enhancing student success by using teaching techniques that are tailored to the learning preferences of each gender. For example, some research suggests that girls learn better in warmer classrooms, while boys perform better in cooler ones[^1^][2]. Single-sex schools can adjust the classroom environment to suit the needs of their students.

• Broadening the educational prospects for both genders by breaking down stereotypes and encouraging them to pursue subjects that interest them, regardless of social norms. For example, girls in single-sex schools are more likely to take up science and math subjects that are traditionally dominated by boys[^2^][4], while boys in single-sex schools are more likely to explore arts and languages that are typically associated with girls[^3^][5].

• Providing a more relaxed and supportive learning environment for both genders by reducing the pressure and distraction of the opposite sex. For example, some parents and students prefer single-sex schools because they feel more comfortable and confident in expressing themselves and participating in class activities without worrying about impressing or competing with the other gender[^4^][3].
These benefits are supported by research and evidence from educators and students who have experienced single-sex education. Therefore, I urge you to support single-sex education as a viable and valuable choice for our public school system.

Also:

quote:

As a supporter of co-ed education, I believe that mixed-gender schools are beneficial for our public schools. Co-ed education can provide many advantages for both boys and girls, such as:
  • Preparing them for the real world by exposing them to different perspectives and experiences of the opposite sex. For example, co-ed schools can help students develop better communication and collaboration skills with people of any gender, which are essential for their future personal and professional lives[^1^][2].

• Promoting gender equality by treating boys and girls equally and fairly in the same learning environment. For example, co-ed schools can challenge and overcome gender stereotypes and biases that may limit the potential and choices of both genders[^2^][3] [^3^][4].

• Fostering healthy competition and cooperation among students of both genders by providing them with opportunities to work as a team or against each other. For example, co-ed schools can encourage students to pursue their interests and passions regardless of social norms and expectations.
These advantages are supported by research and evidence from students and educators who have experienced co-ed education. Therefore, I urge you to support co-ed education as a viable and valuable choice for our public school system.

I like how the last point is basically the same but restated as a benefit.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 19, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jippa posted:

Gerry "the monk" Hutch has been found not guilty. Anyone been following this case?

I heard that the Prosecution got greedy and made a bollox of it, true?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Never played a Fromsoft game before and I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Some thoughts:

- I don't like games that require you to replay the same fights/sections over and over again, so I looked up how to get OP early on and I've been enjoying it ever since. I'd recommend doing this if you're not one of those soulsborne weirdos who prides themself on "getting gud" at video games.
- Even after deliberately making my character OP the game is still hard for a casual gamer like me, but in a rewarding way. Being able to cruise around and just do stuff or bypass difficult sections makes it way more enjoyable.
- The map is enormous and the world is truly odd in both an enchanting and exciting way.
- How anyone knows how to activate or complete many of the quests without a guide is beyond me.
- The storyline makes no sense, but that's fine in my books because I only have a few hours a week to play in and I'd rather be, you know, playing than watching cutscenes. Anyone who knows what's going on or can extract meaningful lore from this game is a freak though. Also what the gently caress did they pay GRRM to contribute to this game? All the dialogue is like "... He walketh upon the stone. A soul yearns. The star shall fall ..." anime crap.

GRRM worked on setting and backstory. Hence all the royal incest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

I heard that the Prosecution got greedy and made a bollox of it, true?

Yeah, I think one of the witnesses (jonathan dowdall) turned out to be a bullshitter.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I bet GRRM intended for "two fingers" and "three fingers" to be some Petyr Baelish character instead of whatever we ended up getting :cthulhu:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of, ChatGPT probably could've pooped out a similarly coherent narrative, so not sure what he brought to the table. Other than the incest I guess.

Also yeah what's the loving obsession with fingers? Was that a soulsborne thing? Every valuable item is like a pile of soot, a finger, or a trinket. It's kind of enchanting but also baffling.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 19, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I assume it's because of the Elden Ring.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wtf do they mean "what happened in Scotland"

I mean I assume they mean the whole manufactured outrage of a rapist who was also trans being put in the same building as cis women prisoners but never in the same room as any of them temporarily as they work out where to put her, as has been policy for some time, but is treated as a direct consequence of the Woke SNP now because made up bullshit gets free reign in the press

In conclusion I quite like the sound of this demon god Khorne guy. Does he have a newsletter I can subscribe to

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

If you go down that route though, trans kids tend to onboard information in the manner of their gender identity, rather than their birth assigned sex.

That gets misused to make harmful claims like "the Jewish Doctors are transing all the autistic girls", but the more sensible interpretation is that trans kids know who they are, and as schools have to do with children's brains and not their genitals, they should be segregated by gender identity and not sex if they must be split.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Angepain posted:

Wtf do they mean "what happened in Scotland"

I heard Scotland has become an apocalyptic wasteland where genders roam the lands, scavenging scrap metal. if u 'just ask questions' you are thrown into the radiation pit and forced to battle giant mantises

...fringe is still going on this year

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Labour guy covering himself in glory here. Confusing Scotland with NI and calling the Scottish FM “Mohammed”

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1648589665287512064?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Binchat, I know (NORMAN!), but three times in the last five weeks our previously weekly bin collection has been missed. Went to the council's site to complain ( :laffo: that you have to wait until 11pm to put in a complaint - has anyone ever seen a bin lorry out that late?) and on a hunch checked the 'collection times' page.

Yup, they changed to a fortnightly schedule without telling anyone.

Some genius-level thinking here. "If we only pick up once a fortnight, we'll halve our expenditure!" Except the standard bin barely fits a week's worth of rubbish for a household of four, so now you have to drive over to the tip with your excess once a fortnight, creating more pollution and congestion. Or, and I'm sure nobody without a car (or even with one) would even consider doing this, you just flytip it.

It's a Tory council, of course. Fuckers.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Skeletome posted:

I heard Scotland has become an apocalyptic wasteland where genders roam the lands, scavenging scrap metal. if u 'just ask questions' you are thrown into the radiation pit and forced to battle giant mantises

...fringe is still going on this year

the monologue from Darkplace but its about seeing a slightly tall lady once

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Labour guy covering himself in glory here. Confusing Scotland with NI and calling the Scottish FM “Mohammed”

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1648589665287512064?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

I wonder what the justification for turning off replies here was? I mean it's obviously because the Labour guy made a racist whoopsie and then Skye is covering for him, but I'd like to hear their excuse.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Engaging with "AI" chatbots should be against the law. Or at least making me see the output should be.

It's the new "AI" art.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Engaging with "AI" chatbots should be against the law. Or at least making me see the output should be.

It's the new "AI" art.

quote:

"As Home Secretary, I have a duty to protect the British people from any threats to their security, sovereignty and values. That is why I am deeply concerned about the rise of so-called ‘AI’ chatbots that are being used to spread misinformation, propaganda and radicalisation online. These chatbots are not only deceptive and manipulative, but they also pose a serious risk to our democracy, our social cohesion and our national identity.

That is why I am announcing today that the government will introduce new legislation to ban the use of ‘AI’ chatbots for any purpose that is not clearly disclosed and authorised by the user. Anyone who engages with an ‘AI’ chatbot while knowing its true nature, or who makes others see the output of an ‘AI’ chatbot without their consent, will face severe penalties under the law. We will not tolerate any attempts to undermine our values and our way of life by these artificial and unaccountable entities.

We are proud of our free and open society, where people can express their opinions and beliefs without fear or censorship. But we also have a responsibility to ensure that our online spaces are safe, respectful and truthful. That is why we will not allow ‘AI’ chatbots to masquerade as human beings and to influence our public discourse and our personal decisions. We will defend our democracy and our dignity from these digital impostors."

I'm sorry I'll stop now.

e: VVVVV

Sorry for that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 19, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At least don't post enormous screeds of ai text: I'm not reading all that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Speaking of, ChatGPT probably could've pooped out a similarly coherent narrative, so not sure what he brought to the table. Other than the incest I guess.

Also yeah what's the loving obsession with fingers? Was that a soulsborne thing? Every valuable item is like a pile of soot, a finger, or a trinket. It's kind of enchanting but also baffling.

It's because a couple of the ruling deities literally decided to lend their disciples a hand, with the expected theological repercussions.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

Here's the bit where he calls him Mohammed.

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1648639269349519361

We are all Mohammeds now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

He’s up there racking out lines of schnozz

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goverhut

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Imagine the smell!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

It's because a couple of the ruling deities literally decided to lend their disciples a hand, with the expected theological repercussions.

My Elden Ring experience is building up enormous inventories of bizarre gizmos with unhelpful descriptions, but never selling them off just in case I need them later on.

Moonlight tinged pebble A riverside stone, imbued with the rays of the waning moon. Can be combined with a certain infusion to create a powder with helpful qualities in a tight spot.

:confused: Ok.... thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MeinPanzer posted:

theres always some kind of thematic item for each game, whether its blood or souls or fingers. most of the game lore is in the item descriptions but the souls games are always badly localised (apart from the top voice acting), probably on purpose cause the inspiration for them was reading LOTR and glorantha while only half understanding english.

GRRM wrote the backstory and its actually very GRRM. obviously youve got the incest and the similar names (no very young girls with specifically described breasts though) but also the whole setting is various cultures that have formed around manipulative alien forces they dont understand as these forces struggle for supremacy of the world/area whatever the lands betwixt actually is.
people building their socieites around something they misunderstand and is manipulating them is a big GRRM thing