Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I like the asymmetry in GW games, it makes every match feel wildly different. In most games that feel "balanced" the rules are basically the same for every player. They end up being like chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Ho boy I come back to surpraising number of posts in aos thread and it turns out its some tow garbage.

Anyway malifaux is a good game and its better than most of its competition (not just gw) tho as far as balance goes I do remember unplayable masters (looking at you rasputina). Conquest that got mentioned earlier has one thing that is going for it and its minis because rules and background are big nah.

The minis are indeed the best thing about Conquest, but they might look nicer because they are at like 38mm scale, so they are pretty big! I like the ones I have a lot though.

They have a worst of both worlds solution to updates and unit cards though. They print unit cards and ship them with the units, which is good, but the unit cards are empty except for a QR code, so having the physical card is only a little bit helpful.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The physical card is for activation order, nothing else

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/16/sunday-preview-seraphon-tip-the-scales-with-an-awesome-new-army-set/

The Seraphon Army Set goes up for pre-order next weekend.

And that's about it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That book cover is beautiful.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Talas posted:

That book cover is beautiful.

It really is!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

That’s the current Seraphon book though right? Not the new one they announced? Seems like strange timing for a big army box.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Funzo posted:

That’s the current Seraphon book though right? Not the new one they announced? Seems like strange timing for a big army box.

It is the new one, they're releasing it early in an Army Box just like they did for Slaves to Darkness

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

drat, I forgot they did that. That has to be annoying for people that don’t want or need the new models.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They won’t be the legal rules for tournament use until the general release, to give people time to have ideas and ensure access.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're re-releasing all of the Bretonnian kits + new ones for the Old World launch. I would assume they're doing the same to the Tomb Kings. I can't wait given I have both of those armies sat in boxes.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

At least Seraphon GOT new cover art. My poor Soulblight got a new book with the same cover art and...TBH not terribly much changed on the inside either.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Hmm link says 27 models but shows 21. Maybe Salamander too?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Could just be a typo for that part.

Checked the reveal article;

quote:

You’ll be able to get your first taste of the new Seraphon with an army set, which contains a Slaan Starmaster, 10 Saurus Warriors, five Raptadon Chargers and five Raptadon Hunters

That brings it up to 21 models.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
True that. It's an impressive new range as well, several kits that don't make it to the army box. If I fancied a new army I'd definitely be on it...

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I am thinking of starting this game and playing Soulblight Gravelords based purely on Beladamma Volga. Is this a bad idea?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

No, she kicks rear end. I hope you like painting wolves, tho.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Majkol posted:

I am thinking of starting this game and playing Soulblight Gravelords based purely on Beladamma Volga. Is this a bad idea?

For this, you’re going to want a good supply of wolves for her spell, probably a full unit on top of that to hold objectives, some zombie or skeleton chaff, and then a selection of your favorite named and foot heroes, since the new gimmick ofVolga’s subfac is the named heroes can get enhancements.

For my part I’d grab Radukar the Beast and Kritza to support Volga, plus a necromancer to do stupid poo poo with Kritza’s Summonable keyword.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Thanks a bunch, I meant that I was picking them basically just on the strenght of the sculpt, not that I was going to base my army around her ( I have no idea if such a thing could be Done, well now I do ) but it's great to hear she is viable.

*actually - how many wolves and would people say in tournaments object if I proxied Dire wolves with fenrisian wolves? I vastly prefer the sculpts, though if I needed say 20+ it would get pretty expensive.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 17, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I don't think people will obejct to proxy but I would still get 30-40 woofs - they are 130 points per squad and volga is 170. Even if you grab radukar the beast you just scrached 1000 pts. You can probably bulk up with vlozd and some blood knights so whole army can keep up with other elements.

Also in other news today I played adventure for AoS: Soulbound starter set and in fight between my players and tzangor shaman + cronies shaman misscast so hard he summoned Burning Head

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2023

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They are close enough, most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference unless you pointed it out. I know of some crusty grogs that are still using the 5th ed(?) plastic wolves with the metal heads.

A buddy of mine that was running that list said that 30 is probably the minimum of how many you would need. 20 on the table, then 10 for her spell. He said he just finished a batch that takes him up to 60 wolves recently, so you'll probably want more than a few.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GW official tourneys are the only ones who care about proxy/kitbash, and since Fenrisian wolves are a GW product they will not care either.

E: assuming same base size, anyway.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Is there going to be a dedicated TOW thread?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

As someone who has zero interest in it, I hope so. Meanwhile, seems like some big announcements are coming for Warhammer Fest:

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Robert Facepalmer posted:

They are close enough, most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference unless you pointed it out. I know of some crusty grogs that are still using the 5th ed(?) plastic wolves with the metal heads.

A buddy of mine that was running that list said that 30 is probably the minimum of how many you would need. 20 on the table, then 10 for her spell. He said he just finished a batch that takes him up to 60 wolves recently, so you'll probably want more than a few.

Alright 60 doggos is not cheap, so I´ll just have to make resin copies with Oyumaru. No problem. Thanks for the advice!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/18/unleash-a-cold-blooded-combo-with-a-double-order-of-raptadon-hunters-and-chargers/

Our first Seraphon rules preview deal with their new cavalry unit, the Raptadons Hunters/Chargers.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Hell yeah Middle Earth announcement

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

So I'm doing a narrative campaign with my Kharadron Overlords Stinky Tinky Tots. Im trying to make the battle regiment battalion in the app, which says I can have a behemoth and a war machine

When I try and put an ironclad and a frigate into the battalion, it says it's illegal because I can only have one behemoth. Looking at the warscroll, the frigate isn't a behemoth. Am I missing something?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Behemoth isn’t a warscroll keyword, it’s a battlefield role, listed on the points list at the end of the book. Ironclads and Frigates both have the Behemoth role.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/19/saurus-warriors-are-back-and-theyre-buffer-than-ever-before/

Today's Seraphon preview is for the medium lads, the Saurus, and some of their new rules.

quote:

Check back tomorrow, when we’ll be frisking the fantastic frog we all know better as the Slann Starmaster, to uncover all their sorcerous secrets.
Quoted just for the really great/dumb wordplay.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I adore the heavier tech aesthetic they’re leaning into still. Just the best.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This week's object lesson is that you can still shoot while your units are in melee, which would have gone a ways to making my Karazai way more useful. Oh well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/20/tap-into-the-cosmos-and-unleash-sorcerous-supremacy-with-the-slann-starmaster/

As promised, here's the rules preview for the Slann Starmaster.

It is, to quote the associated twitter post, "a ribbeting read. 🐸".

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I would like to take this opportunity to state how much I hate assembling Grave Guard.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/20/tap-into-the-cosmos-and-unleash-sorcerous-supremacy-with-the-slann-starmaster/

As promised, here's the rules preview for the Slann Starmaster.

It is, to quote the associated twitter post, "a ribbeting read. 🐸".

https://youtu.be/Wi8ZIZbQL90

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mors Rattus posted:

Behemoth isn’t a warscroll keyword, it’s a battlefield role, listed on the points list at the end of the book. Ironclads and Frigates both have the Behemoth role.

So does that mean for KO in narrative I need both war machine territories and behemoth territories to field new boats?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I like everything about the saurus except for the head crests

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Business Gorillas posted:

So does that mean for KO in narrative I need both war machine territories and behemoth territories to field new boats?

No, because the territories key off MONSTER and WAR MACHINE keywords, not battlefield roles.

Army building uses battlefield roles, and you need to pay attention to roles when putting together a list that is legal to field, but not when setting up your order of battle of units available to you.

Yes, this is kind of needlessly complicated.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

For example, if there's a rule that turns a Behemoth into Battleline, then it loses the Behemoth restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Aus goons, what day do stores tend to have new releases for sale? Saturdays or Sundays?

It's a Saturday for when they go on pre-order in the UK but that's Sunday local time.

I want to go pick up the seraphon box from the local LGS but don't want to be driving around two days just in case.