Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Way back when goons were trolling the :evil: campaign what was the name of the Special Gold that supposed to have been formed at the beginning of the universe of whatever?

Edit: any book recommendations for the financial side of WW1?

Purestrain Gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
purestrain gold

like cold iron, but for gold

E: dammit, beaten

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
purestrain gold orc

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Buffer posted:

purestrain gold

like cold iron, but for gold

E: dammit, beaten

I've got a pic I can post later today of Ron Paul signing a purestrain gold sign someone brought to a rally of his in 2008

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the fundamental issue is over how power is derived rather than the importance of labour versus capital. Western economists were saying that the Russians would be put in disastrous position because the West is the ultimate arbitrator of access to capital and therefore it would be only a matter of time before they collapsed. They couldn't wrap their head around the fact that the dynamics of power have changed to the point that the Russians could just trade with China, India, and the global south have largely be fine.

The end of history meant an end at any type of analysis of both history and political economy. I don't know if it was a philosophical divide as just plain hubris and ignorance.

Btw, it doesn't mean you can't still view point that is supportive of a labor theory of value but I would say in this case it is much more about changing geopolitical dynamics. Also, ironically enough (gold...not pure-strain unfortunately) was part of this shift as it was simply a common store of value that could be used outside that of Western currencies.

That said, I think the differences in arms manufacturing may be more complex and you could certainly argue the value of labor there.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Apr 19, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

sum posted:

Long article but it's worth the read. One of the increasingly rare pieces that include interviews from frontline Ukrainian soldiers.
https://www.demorgen.be/oorlog-in-o...komen~bd898684/

This is such a wild piece not only because of what they're willing to admit to but also because of the extreme cognitive dissonance going on. On the one hand,

quote:

The lack of training makes Oleksii insecure. In a trench, he discusses with a friend in his unit what they should do to gain insight into the Russian positions. They decide to crawl out of the trench, see nothing and crawl back again. They themselves are seen: immediately new mortars come down. “We had no idea how to behave on a battlefield,” says Oleksii. “We didn't even know how to look out of a trench without being seen. The army should have prepared us.”

The eight hours he spends at the front consist almost entirely of hiding and, ultimately, fleeing. In a pit covered with some branches and earth, he feels the thud of exploding mortars, which sometimes hit a few meters away. “After each impact, my friend and I were yelling at each other. “Are you alive?” “Yes!” That went back and forth until he stopped yelling back.”
Seriously, I can't imagine a more dire picture than this.

And yet somehow this poo poo ends up towards the rear of the article:

quote:

The Russian army has never broken with the culture of the Soviet army and sacrifices its own soldiers in large numbers. In September, during a successful Ukrainian offensive in the northeast, President Putin personally telephoned a local commander to tell him not to withdraw his soldiers despite a threat of encirclement, the Wall Street Journal reported. Mercenary army Wagner sends people into the battlefield in waves, only to discover the positions of the Ukrainian army.

Putin expects to sustain a war of attrition longer thanks to a larger population. Last week, he signed a law that would make it easier for his army to mobilize civilians and punish conscientious objectors.

You can see the narrative of savage Russian orcery running headfirst into the actual reports from the front. The Russian forces are somehow simultaneously being fed into a meat grinder but also turning Ukrainian forces into paste without ever being seen.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say it is the autopilot aspect of all of this, regardless of what a story says about untrained Ukrainian soldiers being put in a desperate situation, Russia is simply too stupid or barbaric to win.

The examples they give don’t even really need to make sense or say anything.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Waves of orcs, armed only with shovels, destroying Ukraine and NATO gear

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Panzeh had a lot of good posts about running GURPS. Why can't people just be normal

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

oh cool i await the convenient and very not suspiciously timed massacre then

thanks for the heads up SK

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia will likely need to invade Europe and occupy it, now that Finland is in NATO

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Russia will likely need to invade Europe and occupy it, now that Finland is in NATO

would that they could

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I could talk about GURPS WW2, Special Ops, Covert Ops and SEAL in Vietnam all day. How they model military stuff is really interesting. I'm weak on the actual mechanical part of tabletop games, which I mentioned in the game thread, but there's something really interesting about how they convert real problems into dice rolls, quantifying a huge variety of things, present the player with choices that are a good representation of dilemmas someone might face etc. Someone more ambitious than me could probably examine that in more detail.

Another thing - the research that went into the sourcebooks is genuinely impressive. The sourcebooks on Rome, Egypt and China, at the time they were written, were on par with the latest historiography and far ahead of pop culture. The WW2 sourcebooks on Romania and Italy are some of the better and most concise English accounts of those countries in the war.

Do you know how insane it is that this exists,

and that it's good?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is the autopilot aspect of all of this, regardless of what a story says about untrained Ukrainian soldiers being put in a desperate situation, Russia is simply too stupid or barbaric to win.

The examples they give don’t even really need to make sense or say anything.

Furthermore, there are *so many* sources that make these exact claims. Even if one were a liberal critically thinking and consuming media (lol, bear with me here), you couldn't possibly come to a conclusion other than that this view is correct because of the sheer volume. The whole marketplace of ideas and open and lively discussion framework has no way to deal with, and thus can not even conceive of, the simple question "what if all of this is wrong?". Not some part of it, some detail experts can have different views on and then study and change, but the whole goddamn thing. It's like a failstate of the entire system.

Said differently, if Alchemy was a subject taught today in all major science & technology universities and had 1.000s of professors and other experts in the field, peer reviewed journals etc etc, liberalism would have no way to conclude that the whole thing is bogus from top to bottom.

Weird how China banned bitcoin but the West hasn't, right?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Crimea is going to buckle surprisingly fast. It doesn't matter what Russia does. The hardest part will be reaching Berdyansk. Once there they can easily reach and blow the Kerch bridge. When that happens, every unit there will be stranded without resupply or retreat. Everyone says Ukraine needs to rush them. They don't. They will make a push, but if the offensive proves to be a little too slow they can always switch back up north and let the Russian units in Crimea use up their resources for a while before trying again. They won't be going anywhere.

Ukraine will have complete control of the pace of the Crimean campaign.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Alchemy isn’t far off, I mean chiropractors are still around. Any serious recognition is failure is an admission a severe mistake was made and ultimately the preference is just simply for the entire system to fail at once.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cambridge has the unimaginatively titled The Economics of World War I, Routledge has Russia's First World War: A Social and Economic History, and there's also The First World War: An Agrarian Interpretation.

Volumes 2 and 3 of the Cambridge History of the First World War contain essays on all sorts of economic issues as well. There are more specialized monographs that aren't on my radar, but I think that should be a start at least.

OctaMurk posted:

Crimea is going to buckle surprisingly fast. It doesn't matter what Russia does. The hardest part will be reaching Berdyansk. Once there they can easily reach and blow the Kerch bridge. When that happens, every unit there will be stranded without resupply or retreat. Everyone says Ukraine needs to rush them. They don't. They will make a push, but if the offensive proves to be a little too slow they can always switch back up north and let the Russian units in Crimea use up their resources for a while before trying again. They won't be going anywhere.

Ukraine will have complete control of the pace of the Crimean campaign.

SYQ

e: There are a lot of economic issues covered in two books I have in my office, The British Shell Shortage of the First World War (Blackwell) and King of Battle: Artillery in World War I (Brill).

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Apr 19, 2023

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The only really hard part of the war will be pushing the remaining Russians across the Urals. After that, the sons of Velikyy Ukraina will foster a vigorous martial spirit in continuous skirmishes with the orcs over the mountains

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

bring on the tortured explanations for how the novorossiya project isn't actually imperialist and the bizarre idea that the dpr wasn't formed by nazis

You laugh, but he is right: Odessa is a symbol of Tsarist imperialism built on stolen land.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

A Russian troll farm posted:

The only really hard part of the war will be pushing the remaining Russians across the Urals. After that, the sons of Velikyy Ukraina will foster a vigorous martial spirit in continuous skirmishes with the orcs over the mountains

velikaya

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
give crimea back to Genoa

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Slava genoa

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

charge of the based brigade

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

give crimea back to Genoa

done. ticket closed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

Odesa was the site of a large Greek settlement no later than the middle of the 6th century BC (a necropolis from the 5th–3rd centuries BC has long been known in this area). Some scholars believe it to have been a trade settlement established by the Greek city of Histria. Whether the Bay of Odesa is the ancient "Port of the Histrians" cannot yet be considered a settled question based on the available evidence.[33]

Its Greek clay, every Greek male should collect semen in jars (more than normal) to assure the great reconquista.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You laugh, but he is right: Odessa is a symbol of Tsarist imperialism built on stolen land.

That's right. The greater slavic empire will not give up the black sea as long as odesa stands.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

quote:

U/R War: Blood and Semen

It's pronounced 'semyon'

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

saw that and was embarrassed because I liked their videos about idiotic neoliberal urban "planning" and bizarre Saudi megaprojects

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ardennes posted:

Its Greek clay, every Greek male should collect semen in jars (more than normal) to assure the great reconquista.

Amphora, not jars.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you know how insane it is that this exists,

and that it's good?

Write the GURPS mud book, FF

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Типичный Донецк posted:

Pushilin signed a decree according to which measures have been set to ensure the conscription of citizens born in 1996-2005 for military service in the DPR in 2023

(from t.me/itsdonetsk/69154, via tgsa)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

done. ticket closed.

No surprise the mods are in bed with the Italians

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

:whitewater:

do what you need to do but i hope there's somebody left there at the end of all this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

saw that and was embarrassed because I liked their videos about idiotic neoliberal urban "planning" and bizarre Saudi megaprojects

Their last Ukraine video was 3 months ago, but yeah there is a pretty stark contrast of tone on that channel.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My hypothesis is that Russia is losing because they haven't won! - 85 minute youtube video

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Russia has few 100mm field cannons"

"Field Cannon" is not a thing, the 2A19 is an AT gun not a field gun. Yeah yeah, semantics, but that's an important thing to get wrong from the jump. Russia is estimated to have up to 3000 2A19s in storage, compared to the 400 or so Ukraine inherited in 1991. Russian AT battalions traded in their gun batteries for 9K114 Shturm and 9M123 Khrizantema in the early 2000's. Additionally, the Soviets had already begun to switch to the much-improved 125mm 2A45M, which Russia has procured in large numbers for the SP mount and limited quantity for the towed. The result of all of this is that the towed 2A19 batteries in the separate AT units A) existed in large numbers and B) were freed up for a flexible artillery role, much like Allied AA batteries were used as artillery in Italy and Northwest Europe once the Luftwaffe diminished as a threat.

To recap: The Russians have too many 100mm AT guns as their doctrine has shifted to ATGM carriers, and the resulting guns have been freed up for indirect support. This is something the Combat Mission guys identified so you'd think it would be in the gamersphere.

Ukrainians: Dumb, poor, need AT guns

Russians: Their cup runneth over

The Russians also have an unknown number of M1944 100mm AT guns in storage, which are used to provide spare parts for those mounted in remote coastal installations in the Kuril Islands. The Ukrainians have used (and lost) several in combat.

Okay, moving on,

There is no evidence Ukrainian CB is improving. If anything, I think they are in a much tougher spot. They had a handful of radars when this started, they've been getting hammered relentlessly, and their own reporting shows they are massively outgunned. So, unless they got very good at flash spotting and acoustic ranging by ear, I would say this is cope.

Russian towed artillery claims. If Russia is "barely advancing" etc. etc., then why would towed guns have trouble keeping up with the advance? Most Russian guns are tracked SP mounts anyways, with 2S1s being the mainstay. Towed gun mobility is beyond the purview of this post, but MT-LBs towing D-30s can go just about anywhere, and more places than heavy western truck-mounted guns like ARCHER and CAESAR. It's just a strange claim.

"Inaccurate". I don't want to bother with this one but the tell that it's cope is "needs lots of shells".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Waves of orcs, armed only with shovels, destroying Ukraine and NATO gear

That's especially funny since when the dark portal opened up it was the alliance that was sending waves of peasants to the front lines armed with pitchforks while the horde was sending trained soldiers.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GURPS: Adventures in Darkest Galicia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

500 good dogs posted:

lol this is wild

Normal country!

"Eugenics to literally breed hate" is a little on the nose, Ukraine. Be better.