Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

God lichess puzzles are a land of contrasts. I'm in the 1500-1600 range and some are 4-5 move calculations and others are something like moving to double the rooks on a file. I think it's the same phenomenon where you are expecting questions on a test to be challenging and when they aren't you think the instructor put a "trick" because they *can't* be that easy.

Edit: Also, the free courses on chessable are pretty good for beginners/intermediate players. I'm currently working through the Power Pirc course and the quizzes to reinforce the material is really helpful in building pattern recognition outside of playing a ton of games.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Around 2300 puzzle on chess.com and the main pattern I'm recognizing is if the solve rate is below 40% I'm not getting it ever

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Many puzzles have low ratings because the top candidate "guess" move happens to be correct but you have to really struggle with it to "prove" the solution to yourself.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Lichess also has the problem that there are some dumb AI lines critical for those puzzles. They should get downvoted, but it seems like too few people are doing that.

I remember just a few days ago I was staring at a puzzle for a long time. The first move seemed obvious, and most responses lead to my opponent losing a queen. But I couldn't figure out a good followup to one possible response.
So I give up and make the obvious move. The computer sacrifices the queen easily.
I go look up the move option that confused me, and there is a really convoluted and counter-intuitive mate in 15 sequence.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The ones that seem to throw me are doing puzzle rush and you get into the 1200-1500 range and the puzzle seems to just hang a queen out in the middle of the board. So you spend time trying to sort out why taking is wrong, and then it turns out it isn't. They just threw a 200 puzzle in the middle to mess with you, which I guess is realistic.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Those ones happen sometimes because there's another move available that also looks kind of good, like winning a rook for a knight, and enough people go for it to make the rating higher than it should be.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah it's some of the worst chess commentary I've ever seen. Just ear-splittingly awful. I think next time a game goes on I'll see if Levitov is broadcasting in English or Russian.

It was actually pretty great commentary. They spent the first couple minutes discussing the position, but Ding’s chances were melting right in front of us and it had some of the world’s best chess players in utter disbelief. Their commentary had me on the edge of my seat over the last 5 minutes of a 4 hour chess game. That’s good commentating and would not have been improved by them prosaically recounting Ding’s potential winning lines for the 3rd time as the game went down in flames behind them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Baronash posted:

It was actually pretty great commentary. They spent the first couple minutes discussing the position, but Ding’s chances were melting right in front of us and it had some of the world’s best chess players in utter disbelief. Their commentary had me on the edge of my seat over the last 5 minutes of a 4 hour chess game. That’s good commentating and would not have been improved by them prosaically recounting Ding’s potential winning lines for the 3rd time as the game went down in flames behind them.

I got to the stream at the point they were just screaming at the screen and I would take just about anything else over that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hand Knit posted:

I got to the stream at the point they were just screaming at the screen and I would take just about anything else over that.

They didn’t do the whole match that way, just the minute or two leading up to Ding’s move at 45 seconds or whatever it was.

The moment called for the emotion, is more or less my feeling on it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Baronash posted:

They didn’t do the whole match that way, just the minute or two leading up to Ding’s move at 45 seconds or whatever it was.

The moment called for the emotion, is more or less my feeling on it.

agreed

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, THE thing that has made chess popular over the last few years is that in many different forms chess had been made into entertainment, which means it has to have been made entertaining.

And many in the chess world are still kicking and screaming for their boring dusty yet pretentiously classist elitist game to not have mass appeal.

Emotion and storytelling is good.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Yeah, tuning in right when the meltdown was happening and turning your nose up at the emotion of it, getting the vapours or what have you is lol. The commentary was entertaining and also pretty sober for all of it until then and I think it’s fine for them to get caught up in it. A world championship match in anything should be high stakes and therefore high drama. Doing a forced po faced commentary in the moment would rob the whole thing of humanity or consequence.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In fairness Ding is higher rated than all the commentators and they have 3 heads to put together in understanding the position plus they have the engine on, plus they don't have the pressure of playing, so its not really fair to yell at him that its so obvious or he shouldn't be calculating lines for whatever amount of time.

Also in fairness my fide rating would be like 7, so almost all commentary is wasted on me anyway and inflection and tone are pretty much the only thing I can hope to understand, so in conclusion chess is a land of contrasts.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Yeah, tuning in right when the meltdown was happening and turning your nose up at the emotion of it, getting the vapours or what have you is lol. The commentary was entertaining and also pretty sober for all of it until then and I think it’s fine for them to get caught up in it. A world championship match in anything should be high stakes and therefore high drama. Doing a forced po faced commentary in the moment would rob the whole thing of humanity or consequence.

I'm not asking for an NPR host reading a bed time story, I just want actually articulated words as opposed to to three people recreating the experience of listening to an airhorn.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Salt Fish posted:

In fairness Ding is higher rated than all the commentators and they have 3 heads to put together in understanding the position plus they have the engine on, plus they don't have the pressure of playing, so its not really fair to yell at him that its so obvious or he shouldn't be calculating lines for whatever amount of time.

Also in fairness my fide rating would be like 7, so almost all commentary is wasted on me anyway and inflection and tone are pretty much the only thing I can hope to understand, so in conclusion chess is a land of contrasts.

And IIRC someone earlier mentioned that Ding thought he was losing and the commentators have a computer evaluating the position.

From the cheating discussion a while back, it was pretty clear that super GMs were very confident that just knowing the evaluation of the position would be a huge advantage.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I love these patterns where if you've seen it the puzzle is just trivial, but its highly rated because for whatever reason other people don't have the same pattern on lock. This one is 2042 on lichess https://lichess.org/training/yX8uS

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Salt Fish posted:

so its not really fair to yell at him that its so obvious or he shouldn't be calculating lines for whatever amount of time.

They absolutely didn't do that though. They were simply incredulous (in a sympathetic way) that Ding looked "frozen" and the loss on time was becoming nigh inevitable. Their despair and angst in support of a fellow competitive player emerged as raw emotion and not tactical analysis (which they had already done a LOT, I mean it was Move 32 and combined they'd used 3h30m+ of their combined time allotments, so they weren't skimping on the nuts and bolts).

I get HK disliking the loud emotional reactions (Naroditsky's voice/tone was a bit loud/hyper), it did feel very out of place. But that's why I really felt captivated by it, as an exceptional circumstance. I think it showed the true fear all 3 commentators (Sachdev & Giri had some really honest facial expressions, & Anish literally walked off camera) had about the clock running low, like from their personal experience. And they were legitimately stunned, in disbelief, what have you, as each minute ticked away.

That's what led to me using the "car stuck on a railway track" comparison. You could tell all 3 wished it was legal to have someone run in and, I dunno, splash water in Ding's face, anything to help him snap out of the loop he was locked into.

Anyways, hope Ding rebounds, the match deserves to go 14 games at minimum.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I think the commentary has been very good and consistent on repeatedly emphasizing that commentating with the engine and eval bar at your side is enormously different to sitting at the board under the lights, especially since chat screams blunder every time the bar moves even a tiny fraction in any direction (apparently, I obviously instantly turn that poo poo off). But at that moment it was also fair to wonder why Ding wasn't even playing neutral moves to at least make the time control.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Seem to remember a few years ago having chess.com doing commentary pointedly without the bar…or was that the official fide stream?

Also completely agree with kalensc

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Seem to remember a few years ago having chess.com doing commentary pointedly without the bar…or was that the official fide stream?

Also completely agree with kalensc

It’s pretty common for commentators to work without eval showing though obviously that’s compromised if they’re also responding to chat. Commentary still have a number of advantages like talking to each other and being able to actually play through lines but every now and then you get games where they’re entirely wrong on what the evaluation is.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I never catch the live streams but ChessNetwork's commentary on youtube is always great. This WC has a crazy amount of games going to win/loss rather than draw, which is pretty interesting to see.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The chess.com stream is funny when Anish suggests a line he says is good and the eval bar just tanks.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

I love these patterns where if you've seen it the puzzle is just trivial, but its highly rated because for whatever reason other people don't have the same pattern on lock. This one is 2042 on lichess https://lichess.org/training/yX8uS

I failed this one :(

I thought it was obviously promote with double check but I missed the simple Kxd8

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

fisting by many posted:

I failed this one :(

I thought it was obviously promote with double check but I missed the simple Kxd8

Nah because queen isn't protected if you do that so he just kills it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Rc8.

You either get a queen or Black has to give up his rook.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Game looks absolutely chaotic today, the sort of position where I'm a bit concerned Ding is going to overpress and lose.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nepomniachtchi blinked

e: looking at computer read outs I guess I can understand how he went for this.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
The computer *really* did not like that Nepo move.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ding blitzing Rd2 instead of Qxe5+, Nepo probably knows he's hosed now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This game is kind of incredible.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Holy moly this game (and series) is ridiculously amazing. Computer evaluation swings all over the place as the position stays so complex and varied. I'd love to know if Nepo really (mis-)calculated perpetual there or if it was a bit of a guess, I can't imagine he saw it wasn't there and bluffed but who knows.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

door.jar posted:

Holy moly this game (and series) is ridiculously amazing. Computer evaluation swings all over the place as the position stays so complex and varied. I'd love to know if Nepo really (mis-)calculated perpetual there or if it was a bit of a guess, I can't imagine he saw it wasn't there and bluffed but who knows.

He probably ended evaluation of that one line with something like "and obviously the king can't go that way because I take everything with check."

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

This match is an amazing justification of Magnus’s decision not to defend.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Tough draw in the end and Ding now has two losses and a draw from good to winning positions in this match. On the other hand, it means that Ding has been getting some very good positions in games he hasn't even been winning, which means he's been able to at least get ahead in the majority of games this match. Puncher's chance.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Hand Knit posted:

Tough draw in the end and Ding now has two losses and a draw from good to winning positions in this match. On the other hand, it means that Ding has been getting some very good positions in games he hasn't even been winning, which means he's been able to at least get ahead in the majority of games this match. Puncher's chance.

Yeah. Obviously Nepo is the favourite now, but anyone who thinks it's over is clearly mistaken.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So the lichess accounts Rapport and Ding were using to prep leaked?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/12ssizv/lichess_accounts_between_two_1500sone_of_which_is/

https://twitter.com/lichess/status/1649039552495902721

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My puzzle rating is 2000 and my daily rating 1000

I'm going to take up hopscotch

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sub Rosa posted:

And the chess.com accounts before that which were banned for fair play due to being new accounts playing at super GM level.

This is a disaster and reveals Ding novelties he had lined up that he can't now play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Ah crap. I guess someone spotted some of the unique positions from the WC in the player's DB?