Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BisterdDave posted:

Ngl this kind of sold me on it now. It sounds exactly like the kind of relaxing gameplay I've been wanting lately. Probably helps that I really enjoyed the base game too!

Yeah, I dunno, I loved HZD and HFW. Looking forward to sitting down with this after work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I thought the Horizon games were some "post-apoc sci fi on some unspecified alien planet"-type deal. But there's a Hollywood sign in the key art for the new DLC, so I guess it's a Planet of the Apes situation instead?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

I thought the Horizon games were some "post-apoc sci fi on some unspecified alien planet"-type deal. But there's a Hollywood sign in the key art for the new DLC, so I guess it's a Planet of the Apes situation instead?

it’s caveman cosplay in the distant future, yes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Had a poo poo ton of fun with Forbidden West when it came out but I completely forgot that I even played it and I had a 100% playthrough. Not really interested in the dlc. I feel like same with Ghost of Tsushima, the gameplay is much better than your typical Ubisoft open world but it still has all the bullshit Ubisoft open worlds have but these games have more unique setting + better combat(which is huge).

Also Crowbcat's whole schtick is to complain about the most minisucle details of game that 99% of the players will never notice and have 0 impact on gameplay. In Fable 1 if you farted people actually left the room but in Fable 2 they only had a stinky emoji above their head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty sure Crowbcat is not one guy but a collection of dudes who put out videos of wildly varying quality.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am SO excited for Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores.
I cannot wait to play them :D

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

exquisite tea posted:

Pretty sure Crowbcat is not one guy but a collection of dudes who put out videos of wildly varying quality.

When I saw the notification that a new video was about RE4, I was really confused. Watched maybe 5 minutes of it to confirm that all the complaints are very trifiling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I like the new warrior abilities, the elemental spear and flippity dip strike mean you can probably go 100% melee from level 1.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Instant Grat posted:

More Terminator (AI destroyed the human race) but yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Instant Grat posted:

The exact nature of the world was kept secret in 2017 because it was gradually revealed over the course of the first game (very well and it's most peoples' favorite part of Zero Dawn). But that was 5 years ago, so they've gradually dropped that and now even the mass market promotion assumes you know it's a planet of the apes situation

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

I hate turn based games. I always thought I'd hate card based ones too. So some Avengers heavy combination of the two should on paper be the last thing I'd ever consider playing, right? But enough of the lovely BSS goons kept going on how Best X-Man Magik gets pretty much a starring role and it channels a lot of those 80s/90s X-Men downtime hang out feels, plus it's got Blade and Robbie too so I picked up a copy in the sale and...drat. Loved the absolute poo poo out of it. Sure, it's janky, repetitive, badly in need of some more enemy variety, and the story beats were mostly super predictable but the core gameplay loop is strangely* compulsive, and the chilling out at the abbey becoming BFFs with Magik and Nico was extremely my thing. There are character arcs, there's folks dealing with their poo poo, there's a BOOK CLUB. Having never read or watched Runaways, I had no idea who Nico was going in but now we're dark magic besties for life and it's awesome. It felt like a labour of love from people who actually gave a poo poo and my only regret is not taking a chance on it from the start, given there's no chance of a follow up now. Once Storm drops, Imma gonna NG+ the poo poo out of it, hopefully the DLC will help freshen things up.

In summary: Hunter&Magik&Nico&BestGirlCharlie 4ever

I adored LiS but never touched any of the other games in the series as for me, Max & Chloe >>> all. This prequel entry was the only one I was willing to consider but a couple of things gave me pause. Firstly, Chloe is played by someone else due to production clashing with a VA strike back in the day; secondly, I didn't really get how it could play without the core mechanic of Max' time fuckery; and lastly...it was just going to depress the poo poo out of me, right? I already know how soul-crushingly sad and miserable Chloe's life is at this time, and I didn't even want to know Rachel given what cruel fate lay in store for her.

But eh, time has passed, the sale's on, gently caress it. First of all, this is the buggiest, most crash prone thing I've played on the PS5 to date. Turns out the trick was to turn off Resolution Mode and stick to High Framerate instead, pfft. As for the actual 'game' there's really not much to it, Chloe gets a lame fast talking wiseass mechanic that's no substitute for MAX CAULFIELD TIME MASTER's antics, and the choices feel few in number and of minimal impact. But taking it as just a visual novel exploring a couple of damaged kids in a lovely town, I dug it and found it rather affecting (oh man, the Tempest production!), plus the absolute shittiness of Arcadia Bay at every level left me 1000% convinced I might the right choice all those years ago. The Daughter soundtrack is great, seeing Chloe find some kind of brief happiness was lovely, and the bonus episode managed to break my heart all over again.

Of course most of all, it left me wanting to replay LiS again so that's what I'm doing now. And this time, Max ain't taking any prisoners. gently caress you Victoria, gently caress you Wells, gently caress you Prescotts, gently caress you Blackwell, gently caress you Arcadia Bay. Now give me my fuckin' Polaroid.

Once that's done, I guess I'm gonna skip Burning Shores for now given the kinda grim early reports in here. Either gonna try to step up and actually get to grips with Returnal, or just get scared shitless becoming familiar with the Ishimura again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Replace Aloy with Troy McClure and maybe i'll play those games

I probably still won't play them. I've had the first one in my library for years and never touched it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Charlton Heston was in Planet of the Apes....

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

haveblue posted:

The exact nature of the world was kept secret in 2017 because it was gradually revealed over the course of the first game (very well and it's most peoples' favorite part of Zero Dawn). But that was 5 years ago, so they've gradually dropped that and now even the mass market promotion assumes you know it's a planet of the apes situation

The 2015 E3 reveal trailer shows Europe going dark, they never tried to make it seem like it was on another planet.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Midnight Suns is fantastic. It'll be on every "underrated gems you missed" list for years. Sucks that the lead designer quit Firaxis because it sold like poo poo, but he got to make the game he wanted to make and that's awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you didn’t watch any trailers there might have been some ambiguity at first but you come across the ruins of the Air Force Academy in Colorado within the first couple hours of the game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I also am in the middle of Midnight Suns and am completely captured by its loop. I didn't think that I was going to care too much for the slice of life stuff, but drat if they don't have some compelling backstory conversations. I never really cared all that much for the magic side of Marvel, but it seems fine. The combat is exceptional. Plenty enough variation in the missions to give me pause to think through my turns and some oh poo poo moments when villains turn up unexpectedly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sakurazuka posted:

I have to ask, how old are you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Looks like they’ve finally made a monkey out of you

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Dogen posted:

I have to ask, how old are you

I'd like to point out Charlton Heston was in both the 1967 original and the 2001 Marky Marc remake

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really want to try Midnight Suns but been holding out for a Steam sale, on PS5 does it have any performance issues?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'd like to point out Charlton Heston was in both the 1967 original and the 2001 Marky Marc remake

This was about Troy McClure

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Replace Aloy with Troy McClure and maybe i'll play those games

I probably still won't play them. I've had the first one in my library for years and never touched it.

I as well have considered playing HZD for years. I even have it in my library, probably a PS+ game at some point. I was going to give it a go now recently, but then someone recommended Hollow Knight to me and I fell in love with that instead.
Great game! But I’m basically done with it now. So I’m wondering about other recommended games that might scratch that same itch? I’ve pretty much never played any Metroidvanias before, but I really liked HK’s exploration and atmosphere.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Can I play the piano anymore

Of course you can

Well I couldn't before.

Sorry :blush:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ulio posted:

I really want to try Midnight Suns but been holding out for a Steam sale, on PS5 does it have any performance issues?

Not that have stood out to me, but I might not be as sensitive to them. Real quick on the load times.

It just came off a half-off sale a couple weeks ago, so it'll be a couple months before it's cheap again.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Ulio posted:

It’s been playing fine for me. Hope you enjoy the game, it was one of my favorites this year.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I hate every ape I see from chimpan A to chimpan Z

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Wheres my fucken pixel remaster bundle wtf is this poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nvm found it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

:peanut:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Couldnt find the bundle but i now have ff1 installed and looking at the title screen and now i have to leave the house and get on a train and poo poo tf

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Lmao the crt filter looks like poo poo, they hosed that up. Why is it so hard for devs to figure out. Why do i have to rely on goat retro nerds and their rad5x's and emulator shaders

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Gotta go and select version in any of the games pages to get the bundle

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Awwww yeah

Can I get a "Year of the...

...What?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am ignoring all responses to my previous post

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I am ignoring all responses to my previous post

Here's an appealing fellow. In fact, they're a-peeling him off the sidewalk.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I gave up on Midnight suns early on which is a shame given how much it cost. If there was a setting in the menu to just skip everything that isn’t combat I would definitely go back

Slay the spire is still better tho

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I picked up stranger of paradise and I think this is the fastest a game has made me go from feeling overwhelmed and struggling with the controls to Getting It and thinking the game rules

it's time to kill chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Attitude Indicator posted:

I as well have considered playing HZD for years. I even have it in my library, probably a PS+ game at some point. I was going to give it a go now recently, but then someone recommended Hollow Knight to me and I fell in love with that instead.
Great game! But I’m basically done with it now. So I’m wondering about other recommended games that might scratch that same itch? I’ve pretty much never played any Metroidvanias before, but I really liked HK’s exploration and atmosphere.

I don't think anything even comes close to Hollow Knight in terms of world-openness and zone interconnectedness and evoking the "how deep does this loving pit GO???" feeling. The closest, as trite an answer as it is, is probably Dark Souls.

If you wanna stay in 2D exploratory metroidvania land, I've heard good things about Axiom Verge. As long as you can live with the NES-ified graphics.