Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Random question, but what was everyone’s first solo hike? I’ve done a good bit of hiking, but never solo… and it’s getting to the point where I don’t want to wait for others to be able to do a trail with me.

What would be a good first solo hike? I’m willing to travel! Ideally I’d like some kind of summit maybe but if anything at least where I can get up and see some peaks. I’m probably comfortable doing up to about 10 miles by myself as a first go around. I really just want to get comfortable in the backcountry and feel confident about going places alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think everyone will agree there's a risk involved in solo hiking, I know opinions vary itt on whether that risk is overblown, or worthwhile, etc. but it's there. I would recommend something popular so that if something bad happens to you, someone will happen by you soon enough. Also make sure someone knows your itinerary and you check in with them when you're done.

Other than that, this is kind of an open ended question... can you give us a region at least?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never done a solo overnight because being alone in a tent is something I haven't been able to get myself to do. Every whisper of the leaves or twig snap keeps me absolutely wired. Logical part of my brain knows I'll be fine but that cave man instinct wins every time.

I've done a zillion 10+ mile solo day hikes though. I feel like it's pretty safe as long as someone knows where you're at and it's a well established trail. The odds of getting hurt so bad you can't get out on your own are very small.. trouble usually comes from being stupid like ignoring the forecast or taking on terrain where there's a fall risk.

That said my most notable and favorite hikes have been the bushwacking ones. Finding a spot on google satellite and plotting a route to get there is a ton of fun and I've been all over several national forests and blm parcels. My favorite to date was hiking up the Wagner Basin in Montana at 3am so I could be on Castle Reef for sunrise. No known trail, just some gps waypoints and a headlamp.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't recommend a specific route, but if you're trying to build your confidence I'd start off with something a bit easier than you'd usually do, go somewhere well travelled, tell someone your plan and ideally have an option to shorten, extend, or bail out of the route so you can adjust it depending on how you're feeling. If it's an option, go somewhere with phone coverage. Generally be conservative on route choice, weather and snow conditions, and have a lower bar to bail.

Part of the fun in going solo for me is being able to go faster and further than in a group, and being able to adjust my plans on the fly and just explore. But I wouldn't recommend that if you're a bit nervous about your first solo trip, you want to give yourself the best possible chance of everything going well so you can feel confident in doing it again and going a bit harder the next time out.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Around here you could do a "solo" hike and still be around people the entire time because the trails are always crowded on weekends.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The #1 piece of advice for solo hikes is, regardless of skill or confidence, always tell someone where you're going so that they can call for help if you don't check back later.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did my first solo hike on a small mountain in Idaho called Cape Horn. There was still like seven feet of snow everywhere and I didn’t have snowshoes so I postholed everywhere. I also forgot sunscreen and didn’t bring enough water so it was a bad time. Two weeks later I did the Idaho El Capitan and while it got a bit steep it was a much better experience.

I could give some recommendations for some hikes in Idaho and Utah if you’re looking for a solo experience and you don’t want to see people or would prefer to see very few people. Like the Pioneer mountains or the White Cloud mountains in Idaho are usually empty when it comes to climbing to the tops of peaks. In Utah you’ll be on your own near the Tushars or the Deep Creek range or really any range that isn’t the Wasatch.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I don't remember my first solo hike since 90% of the time I'm out and about by myself, but definitely tell people where you're going and don't take risks you would with a group.

I'd probably start with established trails and get a map/compass, etc and practice with them there until you feel confident to move off-trail. I started doing this out at Anza Borrego Desert State Park and the surrounding federal land and now just romp around with a GPS overlay map on my phone and roughly follow it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My first was on the coast of the arctic ocean.

I just drove my 4 wheeler to the end of the road and then walked the coast for like 10 miles before I camped out for the night and headed back. Good times!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol. I had a great write up for a first solo hike but I came back and my draft was gone. Here's the short version.

All good things above.

There's more risk solo. The risk isn't any higher, you're not doing more dangerous poo poo, but the consequences of small things are higher given you're alone. Nobody with you to immediately help you hobble out of your sprain your ankle (most common injury) or to run and get help. You will be relying on strangers passing by to help. I would suggest a popular hike as well to start out so you see other people.

While solo, avoid taking dumb risks that could have major consequences. Unnecessary jumps onto or off of rocks, fast river crossings, climbing trees, scrambling or technical climbing. A simple slip and busted ankle or twisted knee can put you into a survival situation. Even if someone passes by and leaves to get help, it's going to be hours before anybody get to you, likely a half day, and several hours to get you out. Food, water + layers are important.

Always tell someone where you're going back home and when you should be back. When solo, I write "ITINERARY" with the days date on a piece of paper and leave it on my driver's seat. On the face down side, I write my plans that way if S&R needs to check, they can get into my car and know where I'm headed. I'll gladly replace a window if I'm in a rescue situation.

Taking a gps or beacon might help you feel more comfortable but still know where you're going. Know the basic direction of the hike, significant landmarks or markers, trail intersections etc.

When I'm solo, I bring a few extra things. A headlamp is one of those things. If you get hurt and have to wait it out, it's good to be able to see. Extra food as well. Extra water or a small filter is nice. I always bring an extra layer as well. I do bring a gps on solo hikes.

I might be making it sound like a big deal but it's really not. Just don't make dumb unnecessary choices and let people know where you'll be. Bring the proper things in case something does happen and you have to wait a while. Once you get a few under your belt, you'll be more confident and do more solo hikes comfortably and it will seem like second nature.

I didn't start solo hiking until a few years ago and kick myself for not doing it sooner. I was nervous at first but have such a good time solo that I prefer it vs with friends. I can go as fast or slow as possible. Take as many breaks or check out cool spots for longer without having to discuss it. I can adjust my plans, like staying for the sunset, or sit by a river for a few hours. You get to think and listen. You hear and see more when solo. I once went on a hike and didn't say a word the whole time. It was incredible. I want to believe I saw more wildlife because of it. Plus you'll never have an excuse not to get out. No more waiting on friends.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 20, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I will just add that having something like an inReach or other SOS beacon is nice, but don’t let it give you a false sense of security. If you run into a situation where you need to pop it help is probably hours away so don’t look at it as a get out of jail free card. And that’s assuming you can get to it when you fall, or get swept down river, or whatever “I shouldn’t be alive” event happens. I have one even when I’m with a group as a just-in-case but it is by no means a guarantee of rescue.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'd have to check again, but I think the cheapest garmin inreach satellite plan allows for unlimited check-in messages which includes your current (gps determined) location.

It's great for people who worry about your safety but want to let you have a little bit of freedom, as a treat

Verman posted:

While solo, avoid taking dumb risks that could have major consequences. Unnecessary jumps onto or off of rocks, fast river crossings, climbing trees, screaming or technical climbing.

Does this refer to navigating scree slopes? If so, I think the colloquial term is "screeing"? I dunno. I guess another way to call it is "scree running" or "scree slope descent" or "going down on scree". Which gets a chuckle out of me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Does this refer to navigating scree slopes? If so, I think the colloquial term is "screeing"? I dunno. I guess another way to call it is "scree running" or "scree slope descent" or "going down on scree". Which gets a chuckle out of me.

I assumed it was an autocorrect for scrambling, but I lol'd imagining someone just screaming their head off on a mountain

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Freaquency posted:

I will just add that having something like an inReach or other SOS beacon is nice, but don’t let it give you a false sense of security. If you run into a situation where you need to pop it help is probably hours away so don’t look at it as a get out of jail free card. And that’s assuming you can get to it when you fall, or get swept down river, or whatever “I shouldn’t be alive” event happens. I have one even when I’m with a group as a just-in-case but it is by no means a guarantee of rescue.

yeah, this is the same kind of mindset I have.

It's not 1000% fool-proof but it's the only way to communicate when you're far from everything else.

There is no alternative to making sure someone knows your itinerary.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

alnilam posted:

I assumed it was an autocorrect for scrambling, but I lol'd imagining someone just screaming their head off on a mountain

yeah, scrambling or bouldering

I am ashamed of my bouldering skills. I can walk and hike very quickly but I quickly fall behind on bouldering portions.

I should practice more. Maybe when Mt. Baldy dries out.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

sb hermit posted:

I'd have to check again, but I think the cheapest garmin inreach satellite plan allows for unlimited check-in messages which includes your current (gps determined) location.

It's great for people who worry about your safety but want to let you have a little bit of freedom, as a treat

I always heard it called scree skiing. It was rare to get in some good scree skiing but when I did it was a blast. Not something I do anymore cause it causes erosion.

sb hermit posted:

yeah, scrambling or bouldering

I am ashamed of my bouldering skills. I can walk and hike very quickly but I quickly fall behind on bouldering portions.

I should practice more. Maybe when Mt. Baldy dries out.

Hit up a climbing gym sometime and get some bouldering practice, assuming you have one nearby

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It doesn't take long to learn the basics of climbing, I did a semester of it in college because it looked fun. And it was fun but I had other stuff going on (such as moving to a region with no mountains) so I didn't stick with it. Now there's climbing gyms all over the place which is super cool.

But the basics stay in your brain and are useful for scrambling rocks without trouble. Or the hard part: getting down rocks.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

liz posted:

Random question, but what was everyone’s first solo hike? I’ve done a good bit of hiking, but never solo… and it’s getting to the point where I don’t want to wait for others to be able to do a trail with me.

What would be a good first solo hike? I’m willing to travel! Ideally I’d like some kind of summit maybe but if anything at least where I can get up and see some peaks. I’m probably comfortable doing up to about 10 miles by myself as a first go around. I really just want to get comfortable in the backcountry and feel confident about going places alone.

I think out of the 14ers I’ve done, 15 or so were solo. Lots of other solo hikes and a few backpacking trips to catch feesh.

Tell people where you’re going and when you’ll be back. Carry the ten essentials. Stay within your limits. If you get lost, don’t set anything on fire. Maybe buy an inReach or an iPhone 14.

It’s walking up and down hills. Don’t overthink it.

xzzy posted:

Or the hard part: getting down rocks.

Man it’s this. I’m happy to climb up anything but can get absolutely gripped on the silliest downclimb.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hotel Kpro posted:

I always heard it called scree skiing. It was rare to get in some good scree skiing but when I did it was a blast. Not something I do anymore cause it causes erosion.

joshua tree has a lot of scree slopes but I haven't been back for awhile. I should probably try to find my gaiters.

quote:

Hit up a climbing gym sometime and get some bouldering practice, assuming you have one nearby

I'm trying to watch my budget :smith:

Most of the climbing gyms are $100/mo or $30 day pass, although there are some that are more reasonable. I'll consider it but nothing beats the variety found in nature.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sb hermit posted:

Lol. Scrambling*

Now I have a mental image of someone hiking and just screaming bloody murder the whole way.

And 100% agree with not falling into a false sense of security with a beacon or gps, but it does add to your tool kit and help limit risk of getting lost. Some people I know won't go solo without one. That's the thing with survival scenarios ... One tool can change your outcome. You just want as many odds in your favor and those increase your odds. Of course they're no guarantee but they don't hurt your chances if something goes wrong.

And down climbing, maybe the most dangerous part. It's so easy scrambling up something, so hard coming down the same thing safely since you're often climbing blind and working against gravity.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Now I have a mental image of someone hiking and just screaming bloody murder the whole way.

fwiw don’t do this whether you’re hiking alone or with others

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

But...bears???

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually do holler a lot when I'm solo hiking in the dark. In theory it's to avoid surprising wildlife but the actual effect is calming my nerves because the silence is spooky.

Not screaming though. No one's got the energy for that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ill occasionally cough loudly or whistle a tune if I think theres some nearby wildlife Im trying to scare off. If I heard actual screaming I'd be torn between investigating to help and wondering what the hell I ought to be running away from.

I am so ready for it to warm up. I love winter camping but were officially in slush season here and it sucks. We have to stay off all the trails until they firm up so my options are pretty limited for hiking right now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same. I skied a good amount this winter but now we're in the slush/melt time of year with the occasional snow storm. I'm ready for hiking. I miss warm dry trails.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Next weekend is probably gonna be it for desert hiking for me, so gonna try to get in one more good trip. After that it'll be back up into the Peninsular Ranges here until those also get hot later in the summer.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

liz posted:

Useless reccomndation: I grew up in the UK and only ever hiked in Europe.

The Alps are probably the safest place for solo hiking I can think of (with decent peaks over 2000m) unless you are afraid of cows with bells on and side glances from weird farmer types.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
The plus and minus of hiking in the Alps is you will rarely be totally alone and definitely not far from some sort of town, farm, or alm (farmers cabin that will sell you food and drink). You really have to try in order to find some secluded or seldom used paths. The cows are also no joke, every year some tourist(s) are severly injured from cows, usually because they want to get a selfie with the calves.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Dick Ripple posted:

The plus and minus of hiking in the Alps is you will rarely be totally alone and definitely not far from some sort of town, farm, or alm (farmers cabin that will sell you food and drink). You really have to try in order to find some secluded or seldom used paths. The cows are also no joke, every year some tourist(s) are severly injured from cows, usually because they want to get a selfie with the calves.

Oh yeah for sure, "don't gently caress with cows" is sound advice in most situations. I do go in off seasons to avoid crowds and just enjoy the scenery. Probably Scotland is a better suggestion for decent yet small hikes in Europe, from my experience at least.

Big plus for the Alps is you can collect cool little badges of your triumphs/tasty dinners! :buddy:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the alps are definitely a bucket list goal for me. I know its not the same as being in a true wilderness, but goddamn the views would make me forget that in a heartbeat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Switzerland didn't feel real to me. It was too perfect. The people are too nice. The scenery was just too breathtaking. Everything was so clean and picturesque.

It was wild. I definitely want to go back so that I can hike more.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's amazing how there are hiking guide signs everywhere in Switzerland, telling you how far to nearby towns, landmarks, transit stations, etc. I remember to get to Ticino we had to change trains in Andermatt and ride a short cog railway to Göschenen, in order to get into the Gotthard tunnel. But then while waiting in Andermatt we saw a yellow hiking sign that said "Göschenen, 6 km" and thought hell, we can walk that and we've got time, so we did. There was trail the whole way and it was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kevo, Finland:

Kungsleden, Sweden.

Friend wanted to take a helicopter ride. We hitchhiked the rest of the way back to Kiruna thanks to some friendly Soviet people.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hi thread, long time no post.

I have the entire month of May off with free travel anywhere and I think I’m finally going to check off my number 1 travel goal, which is to fly into Zurich then head into Zermatt.

Are there any reasons not to go in May if it’s extremely easy and inexpensive to get then?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Probably a lot of higher up hikes will still be snowed out, but there's no bad time of year to be in Switzerland.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well, May and November are generally the worst times to be in Switzerland. But the weather is looking pretty good right now.

Tip for hiking in CH: pay attention to the colour of the trail markers. Yellow: normal trail, no danger; white/red/white: alpine trail, mild peril; white/blue/white: mountaineering route, expertise and equipment needed.

Zermatt is just the other side of these mountains, I took this the week before last so yeah there is still snow

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll get some proper gear then it sounds like.

Cauuuuuse I think I’m goin.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gear, like for mountaineering? That's not just something you jump into. Regardless it's a beautiful place any time of year

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean like some new spikes and poles.

I do want to get into heavier duty stuff some day but I’d start in my own continent.

Edit: I wouldn’t cry even if the weather/trails end up being poor enough to make me stay closer to civilization. I’ve just always wanted to go see the place.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rolo posted:

I have the entire month of May off with free travel anywhere

This is a hell of a flex.

But also, enjoy!