Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For non-poo poo local flags in the US, I am in love with the flag of New Orleans

e: also the flag of Haiti, which probably wins the contest of which red white blue is best

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For non-poo poo local flags in the US, I am in love with the flag of New Orleans
Providing one half of the maximalist Maryland flag we all know and love, I am also very fond of Baltimore's flag:

It depicts the Battle Monument, commemorating the War of 1812 defense of Fort McHenry, as well as the lesser known Battle of North Point which took place on nearby land southeast of the city.

Sauzer fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 10, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

…is there a way we could add old bay to the Maryland flag?

How about a Maryland flag in the shape of a crab dumping Old Bay on itself?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fuschia tude posted:

Needs a bottle of Natty Bo and a quote from The Wire and we've got Peak Maryland.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
as i prepare to go visit countries nearby instead of the countries here, i just wanna reiterate that the flags of kazakhstan and kyrgyzstan are bitchin

having now looked it up, the stars in the uzbek flag sorta spelling "Allah" in arabic script is kinda neat

but on the other hand, it only works if you squint at it real hard and already know the intent, and also seems kinda weird given that "we need to reject arabic script because it's impractical for us outside a narrow religious context" was an important trend of thought when the nation was taking shape. i mean sure, the soviets kinda screwed that up by going "actually just do cyrillic everywhere, who cares if that doesn't really fit either" immediately after, but still

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'll be honest here: I've never seen a cum rag so I'll have to take your word for it. I always imagined they'd be somewhat different, though.

it has heraldic semen on the margins

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/cgpgrey/status/1643259508083286016

sorry I think this man should be banned from talking about flags

It is driving me insane that the angle of California’s coastal border is wrong.

If you are going to have a poo poo flag with a state outline at least draw it right.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

as i prepare to go visit countries nearby instead of the countries here, i just wanna reiterate that the flags of kazakhstan and kyrgyzstan are bitchin

Achievement unlocked: Excellent Flag

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

if you cannot see a difference in these text flags vs. the text on the california flag i'm sorry but you may be on the spectrum
this seems like a very questionable insult

also the text on the cali flag is less ugly but it's still dumb and needless.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Achievement unlocked: Excellent Flag

It's not bad, but I get a strong Major League Soccer team vibe from it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kazakhstan: best flag by a large margin, and not just bc my wife has it tatooed

Fictional California flag: lmao drawing it badly is the best joke I've ever seen, ahahahaha, owned, second-biggest state, put some fries in that burrito

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Presto posted:

It's not bad, but I get a strong Major League Soccer team vibe from it.

It's the Xbox logo.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fictional California flag: lmao drawing it badly is the best joke I've ever seen, ahahahaha, owned, second-biggest state, put some fries in that burrito

Stop insulting my people's cooking :( :sweden:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's the Xbox logo.

I was thinking the Xerox logo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CellBlock posted:

I was thinking the Xerox logo.

That's a copy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
for lack of a spinoff anthem thread from the spinoff flag thread of the map thread

The haitian anthem whips rear end, and yes, you can hear exactly who they are dunking on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStt3q8ZoEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wgaRRZOsrg

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 18, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'll be honest here: I've never seen a cum rag so I'll have to take your word for it. I always imagined they'd be somewhat different, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's Cymru

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

There is never enough mocking of Maryland and it's flag. They take that poo poo way, waaaaay too seriously. If the entire universe was converted into sentient matter purely devoted to mocking Maryland and its flag it would maybe get half way there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

bird food bathtub posted:

There is never enough mocking of Maryland and it's flag. They take that poo poo way, waaaaay too seriously. If the entire universe was converted into sentient matter purely devoted to mocking Maryland and its flag it would maybe get half way there.

fwiw you, too, could at least attempt to create a flag that's at least a pale imitation of the Maryland flag's greatness. What could be better than a combination of multi-symmetric heraldic patterns arranged in a pleasing color-complementary fashion equivocating confederate and union symbology, capped with an ultimate endorsement of the confederates?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw you, too, could at least attempt to create a flag that's at least a pale imitation of the Maryland flag's greatness. What could be better than a combination of multi-symmetric heraldic patterns arranged in a pleasing color-complementary fashion equivocating confederate and union symbology, capped with an ultimate endorsement of the confederates?

who needs to be a pretend fancy euro confederate when you invented slaver revolts

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

who needs to be a pretend fancy euro confederate when you invented slaver revolts
I was like, "wait, slaver revolts?" and then I realized which flag it was.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Commemorating the year Columbus invented the meatball sub. Ohhh!!! (Sopranos noise)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bird food bathtub posted:

It is the best flag in the US, op

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Snowy posted:

It is the best flag in the US, op

South Carolina :colbert:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

South Carolina :colbert:

Surely you mean أقدس الخلافة في ولاية كارولينا الجنوبية

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Virginia flag still the only one with a titty

Your move

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With the Maryland flag I keep thinking of the Taskmaster flag meal task. I felt like I had a good idea of how you could render the flag with food. Bacon on mashed potato for one quadrant, ziti on another quadrant.

I guess with the Connecticut flag I could just do a bunch of grapes on a blue plate.

I went down a rabbithole trying to figure out what the deal is with the grapes, and the most I found was that it was derived off of the seal for the old Saybrook colony, which wasn't the first or biggest settlement that formed the Connecticut colony back in the day, but it was the only one that had a symbol made for it. So it went on the flag. Weirdly it was also a colony of Cromwell supporters before the English Civil War back when he was just an MP with money issues.

I think the gist of the grapes is basically just symbolic as a plant that cuts can be taken and transplanted, which is what a colony is. That would seem to be the implication of the latin motto.

CT has better symbols, there's an old story about hiding the colony charter in a tree from the royal governor when he was trying to assert more power over the colonies. The tree made it onto two coins.

The 1935 half-dollar was based on a painting of the tree in the 1850s around when it fell, I assume the state quarter was trying to depict the tree as it would've been as a younger tree 200 years earlier.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Virginia flag still the only one with a titty

Your move

Where do you rank Starbucks as a flag?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Louisiana having a pelican on blue as the flag goes back to 1812 (don't @ me brits shut up we won and we weren't even using that capital)

But it got redesigned a lot over the years and one non-thing-on-blue proposal was this one

This would have been far and away the best US flag. God bless the DPRL

But nope, too extra, gotta keep thing on blue.

e: the Louisiana flag from the confederacy also shamefully looks really cool

gently caress the government and people that it stood for but it gets the vibe better than the dumb blue pelican. As well as looking like a paradox game mod's communist Louisiana flag, as all Louisiana flags must

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 19, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Actually, given its problematic representation, I'm curious how the thread would propose to redesign the Maryland flag to retain its perfect aesthetic and ditch the confederate symbolism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The flag existed long before the confederacy, and it's just the coat of arms of the guy who founded the colony of Maryland, joining the Calvert coat of arms of his father with the Crossland coat of arms of his mother, a common coat of arms practice. During the civil war, the population of Maryland was politically divided, and they just took the flag's twin symbols and split them up, which also happens sometimes. War was over, flag rejoined. That simple.

It's not like Georgia or Arkansas or Six Flags or the Dukes of Hazard. Ditching half the Maryland flag to deal with white supremacists would be like removing the stripes from the US flag to counteract the thin line white supremacists. Does the Isle of Man worry about its flag associating it with Nazis?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Afrikaner Voetfetisjbeweging

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Guavanaut posted:

Try the search bar instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just comes up with crab flags.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The flag existed long before the confederacy, and it's just the coat of arms of the guy who founded the colony of Maryland, joining the Calvert coat of arms of his father with the Crossland coat of arms of his mother, a common coat of arms practice. During the civil war, the population of Maryland was politically divided, and they just took the flag's twin symbols and split them up, which also happens sometimes. War was over, flag rejoined. That simple.

It's not like Georgia or Arkansas or Six Flags or the Dukes of Hazard. Ditching half the Maryland flag to deal with white supremacists would be like removing the stripes from the US flag to counteract the thin line white supremacists. Does the Isle of Man worry about its flag associating it with Nazis?

...and the symbol's also uniquely the pole topper, as alluded to in my earlier post.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
U.S. State flags are super wasted opportunity tbh, considering the pretty cool idea behind the country flag. I could see lot of nifty ways to build different flags around a single star, with maybe the stripes used in the thirteen original colonies. At least the states are mostly imaginatively named....*sighs in Finnish*

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

De Grote Aftrek

taters
Jun 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1651389218445467648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Except those among us with OCD who are finding the minute differences in shape, position and size of the red sun/disc to be jarring