Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

If you can already clear the fight, why do you need better gear?

Because it makes it easier and faster and I have to clear the fight again next week to get to the next fight that we're working on longer and I have a job and a loving life partner so I only have so much time to play the game with my raid buddies. And after we clear that fight the next week we have to clear 2 fights to get to the third. And then 3 to get to the 4th and then 4 and 1 phase to get to the actual final fight so they give you more and better gear as your progress to help cover gently caress ups (Which will happen people are people) or make mechanics a little less tight to pass by. It also just let's some nice quality of life poo poo happen like maybe once we get some Fight 3 gear we've got enough stats we don't have to use potions to clear fights 2 and 1 which means I can save gil/my little game time and just use them on the things we absolutely need them to clear DPS checks with. Or maybe new gear means new stats on them so I can rearrange my materia, try to get by with a little less piety now that I know the fights better as healer and with the extra stats on my tanks I can focus on doing damage more, which is both more fun and makes things overall easier because more Healer DPS is more dps which means easier DPS checks.

None of which affects anyone but the people doing the raids and getting the raid gear so why would anyone not doing them want to remove it?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have no opinion about gear but i sure wish we could pick which attack animations we used when synced down

if i get sastasha for roulette i wanna shoot those pirates with broils

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

blatman posted:

i have no opinion about gear but i sure wish we could pick which attack animations we used when synced down

if i get sastasha for roulette i wanna shoot those pirates with broils

Likewise, I wish I could use the non-heated shot animations sometimes as a max level MCH. Sometimes I just want to shoot a fool, not do 20 seconds of gun-fu.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 19, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Give the option to play level synced or damage synced; the latter gives you access to your full kit, but the damage numbers are scaled down where you need to be semi-good to outpace the boring 1-1-1-1-1 combos at low levels. A mesh of different choices by different people in the same dungeon would make things feel more alive, and seeing the other animations will keep sprouts hooked

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Give the option to play level synced or damage synced; the latter gives you access to your full kit, but the damage numbers are scaled down where you need to be semi-good to outpace the boring 1-1-1-1-1 combos at low levels. A mesh of different choices by different people in the same dungeon would make things feel more alive, and seeing the other animations will keep sprouts hooked

This would be very, VERY hard to balance and would look weird. I know that playing with the low level kits are boring, but having all those abilities would probably just confuse any sprouts that are subjected to the full 90 kit in Satasha. Healing especially would be weird. How would you balance that?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sastasha (Unreal)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That actually sounds amazing, take the base idea of sast normal or hard and hand it off to the new teams in charge of dungeon designs, high end trials, and phase change cut scenes

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Roluth posted:

This would be very, VERY hard to balance and would look weird. I know that playing with the low level kits are boring, but having all those abilities would probably just confuse any sprouts that are subjected to the full 90 kit in Satasha. Healing especially would be weird. How would you balance that?

My compromise position on this is to make some job abilities unlock before level 30. Jobs vs. jobless people already are basically twice as good so adding a little more to that gap just for the sake of not being criminally boring is a good trade in my mind. Like if Jump was level 1 but you had to get to 30 and have your job stone equipped, you still get to slow roll abilities out to the sprouts but then the people who have hit 30 get to have a slightly better time in a dungeon. 2-3 abilities unlocked at 30 is not particularly overwhelming either.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I’m still of the opinion that savage gear (Like WoW’s mythic raid gear) should be cosmetic only. Give savage raiders mounts or cosmetic gear.

There is zero benefit to doing this and a lot of negatives! It's immensely stupid!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also minor point, but WoW's mythic raid gear does have stats that are higher than the next difficulty down.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah what, Mythic Gear in WoW is the highest ilvl in a given patch to the point that they've done a lot of silly things to work out how to keep that so whilst still giving Mythic + Endgame Dungeoning and Endgame PvP access (at a slower rate) to the same ilvl.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, it's impossible to know, but I wonder what percentage of people are only grinding out relics to get the glam. I mean, look how many people still work on old relics - and those are not going to increase player power. I suspect more people pursue relics for the glam than they do for stats.

I feel like there's significant overlap between the people that complained about having to do Hildibrand for the Manderville weapons, and those getting the weapons for the stats. Certainly not 1-to-1, and I'm certain there's stat-wanters that love Hildy and glam-wanters that hate him. But overall yes, I think relics are more often for glam than numbers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Relics are more or less meant to be a method of catchup, not bis, until the end of an expansion.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm getting the relic weapons because I'm not doing a savage raid, so they're the best weapons I can get right now. A year from now, they'll just be glam pieces.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I’m still of the opinion that savage gear (Like WoW’s mythic raid gear) should be cosmetic only. Give savage raiders mounts or cosmetic gear.

Why, though? Not trying to dogpile, but I want to know why you personally think this specific point.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

A while back I asked about a modder who had figured out how to spawn entities and use any room as a backdrop in gpose, but some drama happened and it never got released.

Did anyone else ever figure that stuff out or is it like Alexandria burning

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
"Alexander burning" was right there, man.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doctor Epitaph posted:

"Alexander burning" was right there, man.

Goddamit :bang:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Honestly, the gear treadmill is loving boring and needs to go away.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Roluth posted:

know that playing with the low level kits are boring, but having all those abilities would probably just confuse any sprouts that are subjected to the full 90 kit in Satasha. Healing especially would be weird. How would you balance that?

What?
The sprouts wouldn't have the 90 kit because they haven't levelled and unlocked those. It would be sprouts doing 1-1-1-1-1-1 and a 90 DRG doing their infinite loop rotation and sick dive bombs but doing the same relative damage.

I would love this option, it would actually encourage me to engage with synched content again cause losing access to kit really impedes my ability to retain good rotations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Finally got to the top!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't a problem with the way gear from raids works, but I do think every raid should reward some all classes glam versions of its gear.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

super sweet best pal posted:

Honestly, the gear treadmill is loving boring and needs to go away.

No.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Removing gear stats would require completely changing basically every aspect of the game because the core incentive structure for repeating content relies on getting better gear. How many people are going to be doing expert roulette for just slow access to a glam set? You already have issues where stuff like normal raids and non-mandatory level cap dungeons have long queue times because lots of people don't queue for their roulettes due to poor rewards, removing number go up will straight up kill lots of content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dangling Glam as an incentive isn't going to work either, since it's so subjective. I'm still using most of mine from Shadowbringers or earlier since there are only a couple EW pieces that look half decent to me. I'm probably not the only one in that boat.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Finally got to the top!

Nice!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Finally got to the top!

But did you make the jump to the lamp post? :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dangling Glam as an incentive isn't going to work either, since it's so subjective. I'm still using most of mine from Shadowbringers or earlier since there are only a couple EW pieces that look half decent to me. I'm probably not the only one in that boat.

Most of my glams are built with Heavensward pieces (or reskins of HW pieces) as the 'core'. I think a lot of EW stuff looks really nice, but at this point they're in kind of a weird place where a lot of gear is either basically riffs on a kind of aesthetic we already have somewhere, or too extremely specific for me to even work with as someone who tries to make glams that look at least relatively fitting to the game and my character. Like, I don't really have a use for the Abyssos gear unless I want to look like 'demonic knight' character from a MOBA, and I don't.

The longterm standouts of Endwalker in terms of glam potential for me were actually the Imperial and Palaka sets, because they managed to do really well with fairly tame aesthetics that we just happened not to have before then.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The EW tomestone fending sets are pretty nice. I get a real Gunbreaker vibe from Lunar Envoy

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

thinking about it most of my main glams are based on stormblood pieces. bozjan gear is also very good and the devs clearly agree cause they gave thancred the fending set during the Garlemald bit in endwalker.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When you think about it there's really no point in the gear treadmill since you can just buy the final tomestone set with poetics when the next expac drops.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I like a lot of the EW pieces so far, and use them as inspiration to make new outfits. I will often return to old favorites, but sometimes those old favorites end up with a new hat or boots that work just a bit better.

Also I'm not letting an excuse to repost glamours pass me by. Right now I am using the troian healer chest.

The radiants armor was nice for making an armored healer look.

This one used the ktiseos hat, which was just a recolor. The original was white for healers though, and I prefer the black one.

One problem I'm running into now is that I'd need multiple scholar gearsets to use multiple scholar glamours without messing up my portrait. I used to use like 6 different scholar glamours but now I just stick to one because its easier. I do love seeing everyone's portraits, but I'd like if they could address that somehow (by just not resetting to default pose when the glamour doesn't match). I have different glamours set up for the other healing jobs but I never actually use them.

Regarding savage gear, I don't really see the point of making savage gear glamour only. I'm casual so why do I care if they have bigger numbers, I'm able to do my dungeons/alliance raids/normal raids anyway. Sometimes I'll end up in a group with someone with better gear and it just means things go a bit faster, its not like it hurts me. I like the way gear works for casual players since there are multiple ways to get stuff that is good enough, and every patch brings new stuff for me to collect.

If anything I find it kind of annoying that the normal raid gear is undyable. I'd like a way to upgrade my normal raid stuff into the dyable version later in the patch cycle when the stats would no longer be relevant and there's a shiny new glamour piece for the savage folks to show off.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think keeping savage gear dyable is cool because, eventually, you'll be able to run it unsynced if you wanna nab it. I don't really dye them, though. The one set I want dyable, the prototype alexandrian gear, you can't even get with a dyable variant because the savage gear has a bunch of doodads on it that I hate.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Genovera posted:

If anything I find it kind of annoying that the normal raid gear is undyable. I'd like a way to upgrade my normal raid stuff into the dyable version later in the patch cycle when the stats would no longer be relevant and there's a shiny new glamour piece for the savage folks to show off.

:yeah:

Mostly I'd like more options for gear to become dyeable overall since glam is the true endgame.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

One thing I was thinking about last night is it’d be nice if hairstyles could be set to plates, it might actually incentivize me to try out all these hairstyles I’ve unlocked instead of staying with one consistent one. The minor issue is that the fee, while trivial, does exist and there’s no way they want to figure out the logic of only making it conditionally charge you.

Also it would be funny to make all the people foolish enough to play an incomplete race suffer even more. What If They Got Charged Real rear end Money For Applying a Plate?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Vitamean posted:

I think keeping savage gear dyable is cool because, eventually, you'll be able to run it unsynced if you wanna nab it. I don't really dye them, though. The one set I want dyable, the prototype alexandrian gear, you can't even get with a dyable variant because the savage gear has a bunch of doodads on it that I hate.

It could take quite a while-- if I have to watch a guide and do a party finder with random people I'm realistically not going to do it. I just checked and it seems that I'd still need to do that for most of Eden. I wouldn't mind if I could solo it or bring a couple friends, but two expansions minimum is kind of a long time to wait!

It is frustrating that some sets have no dyable variant though. I'd definitely want dyable versions for those prioritized, or some kind of visor-like toggle for the extra bits. I've noticed some low level gear that is like that too.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I guess it also varies by fight. People figured out how to bypass the hardest mechanic of O12S pretty early after you could unsync it and even in the middle of Shadowbringers you could clown through an E4S clear for people who really needed the clear for TEA, but from my memory E12S will probably be a pain in the butt for a good while because of how many different things you need to learn through the fight.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m guessing you probably have to do titan/shiva stuff in p1 and p2 is probably just basic and apoc 1

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
From the E12S runs I've done recently, a mostly clean run will skip Titan and Single Apoc. It's more important for phase 1 because if you get into Titan phase you have to finish it with someone alive to get the phase transition but phase 2 will just die whenever she gets to 0% at least

edit: For the other Eden capstones: E4S can be killed before big Titan, and for E8S you can skip Light Rampant by getting her to 50% before LR starts to force the transition to adds. You can then kill during Wyrm's Lament 1

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you can get past basic relativity you can then all run round not knowing what the gently caress and stagger through the next part until she dies