Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FeyerbrandX posted:

Also.... you didn't cut anything out right? You went straight from "you better hurry and register for The Tournament Arc" and, there was just the one fight? Not even a warmup fight?

The Game Can't Even loving Do a Tournament Arc right!?

Which is remarkable because Star Ocean 2 had a pretty good tournament arc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

High point of this update: Faize losing patience and saying, "Okay, fine, you sit and be emo, I'll fight the drat guy, loving hell." Shame it didn't actually happen.

Low point of this update: the entire rest of the update. I rolled my eyes so hard it hurt, more or less continually. But special shoutout to the loving guards. "Oh wow Edge you're better than our entire force, we would never have thought of threatening a guy to make him explain why he stole stuff he had no motive to steal! Do let me lick your boots clean sir!"

By the time we got to the stupid superhuman bullshit I just didn't care any more.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I think this was about where I tapped out. Edge's constant flip flopping between "No interference!" and "All the interference" in the most pantywaistingest manner possible was enough to finish me off. I can't wait to see where this goes next. :shepface:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wait, was the guard guy serious? I cannot read those lines as anything other than sarcasm. "Oh, wow, he told you someone hired him? Wow, really? God drat I never would have figured out threatening him would get him to talk."

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait, was the guard guy serious? I cannot read those lines as anything other than sarcasm. "Oh, wow, he told you someone hired him? Wow, really? God drat I never would have figured out threatening him would get him to talk."

I would love for that to have been sarcasm, but given the rest of the update, and really the rest of this loving game, I think it was sincere :(

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Black Robe posted:

I would love for that to have been sarcasm, but given the rest of the update, and really the rest of this loving game, I think it was sincere :(

Yeah, as people have mentioned, Last Hope is desperate to make you think that Edge is cool, even when it's making him do incredibly stupid things. They are absolutely making Lias praise him in order to reinforce the idea that Edge is a Hero™, and all he "did wrong" was not double down on being a big hero after Milla took advantage of his stupidity generosity.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
The way in which this game moves to rush through every arc possible has not failed to amaze.

From one set piece to another- we never stick around long, Edge can do no wrong.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 23 - Bunnyhop Across the Desert

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

I spent the last day fixing a mistake I made, defeating the bandit that I ignored infiltrating the castle and recovering what he stole. Everyone started praising me as a hero after that. At the time I didn't think I deserved it, but it's starting to grow on me.

Oh, uh, also me, Reimi and Crowe were injected with Muah cells as foetuses in order to make us into Superhumans dubbed "Seeds of Hope". That's pretty cool, I guess."

After Reimi asserts that Edge did nothing wrong, we're given free movement within the inn. Clicking around makes it clear Edge wants to take in the night air, so outside we go, with a cutscene awaiting us.

Click here for the events following Reimi's confession of Maverick's ultimate truth.

:sigh:

These guys approach Edge, laughing stupidly. If you watch the colosseum scenes, these guys were in the lobby at the time.

They're also named after a trio of thugs that appeared in Star Ocean 3. Well, if they were in 1 and/or 2, I wouldn't know, but I do know they're in 3.

The purple hair douche, named Makafy, says that.

Buster: "I don't know, you think so? I think we can do better than that."

Buster is the dark haired one.

Tepeki: "No kidding. Maybe he just had weak opponents."

Tepeki is the gray haired one.

"...Yeah, whatever you say. It was just a fluke, okay?"

Makafy: "...Hey, don't get smart with us. We know your little secret."

Tepeki: "Anybody coulda won with a sword like that, huh?"

More obnoxious laughter.

"Why don't you get to the point?"

Indeed, they figured Edge's sword is the reason he's so strong, and thus decided to take it from him with their piddly knives. A galaxy brain plan worthy of Edge Maverick.

(I get it. Plain old goons after my sword, huh...I guess they didn't notice the attacks I was using in the colosseum. I didn't win that fight with the sword alone.)

Except at least what Milla wanted could have actually been useful, provided she had the means to make it work. These guys get a fancy sword and, what, use it to mug people?

(I knew it. Our very existence on an underdeveloped planet is dangerous interference...)

Except that it would only be dangerous if, say, you were stupid enough to hand over a potentially world destroying device to whoever wanted it.

Oh okay, we're just going to make these idiot thugs aware of antimatter. I think that's more dangerous than letting them think the sword is useful, Edge. Well, I suppose there's no problem as long as no one gives them the means to use antimatter, right?

Makafy: "Whuh?"

"But I won't hand it over to someone who doesn't properly respect it. Got that?"

Now Playing - Chain of Explosions

"Who needs to pull a sword against a bunch of rank amateurs, anyway?"

Tepeki: "You little...!"

Buster: "All right, that's it! You're gonna die, man!"

They're not dead, if that's what you assume. You'll find them on Roak after this cutscene, having turned over new leaves.

Now Playing - Welcome to the Darkness

The return of sex object lady! Last seen on Cardianon, over 10 updates ago.

"Y-you're..."

"Ah...no, thank you very much, Myuria. This is the second time you've saved me."

"Well, I, uh..."

"I never imagined I'd run into you here, of all place. What luck."

"Um...and what is it you want to ask me...?"

"...I'm looking for someone."

"Looking for someone?"

"Yes. And I thought you might have some idea of where I might find him. The man I seek was on a ship that looks much like yours."

"...What?"

"As I recall, he wore clothes much like yours, as well. I believe he's an Earthling, just like you. An Earthling with red hair."

"...!"

"Oh? So it's Crowe, is it...? The name of the man I'm going to kill!"

"...I don't know. And I wouldn't tell you if I did."

"Hmm...Your eyes were so lifeless when you fought those thugs. Who would have guessed they could show such fire? But I honestly wonder...Would you still look at me that way if you knew what the red-haired man did to me?"

"What did he...what did Crowe do to you?"

"Because Crowe's my best friend! Look...I may not be able to believe in myself right now, but I still believe in Crowe! Crowe would never do anything to hurt anyone. He's incapable of it! Well, except for assholes like the Cardianon I guess..."

"...I don't understand you. You believe in that man more than you believe in yourself? What are you saying?"

" :sigh: Not just him. All of my friends. Right now, they're all I have to believe in."

"Myuria!"

"Once my business on this planet is finished, I think I'll have to follow you. If you believe in this man so much, boy, then I have no doubt you'll eventually lead me to him."

Myuria walks off, and we cut to the next day.

"...Hmmm? At this hour? What is it?"

"It's Sarah! She's, like, disappeared!"

We then cut to Sarah's room.

"What in the..."

"Merry...um..."

"Yes, I'll be fine. I'm more worried about Sarah right now."

"Sarrie...She got kidnapped..."

"Forgive me. I should have had my anti-personnel sensors activated."

"It's okay...Everyone was tired yesterday."

"Speaking of "everyone"...where's Faize?"

"He's out gathering information."

"I suspect this involves the men who assaulted Miss Sarah."

Meracle asks.

"From his description, the perpetrators sound exactly like the men from last time."

Everyone looks at Edge.

"...What?"

"Reimi has recovered, but final authority now lies with you, Edge."

*Ineffectual pantywaist grunt*

Scene end. Reimi rejoins the party, we are free to move.

However, you may have noticed that we didn't get a clear direction as to wear to go next. We know Sarah was kidnapped by those thugs from before, but we don't know where they are.

As far as I'm aware, there's no clear hint that tells you where to go next. No NPC that says "Those thugs like to hang out over yonder" or what have you. Instead, you just have to follow up on the last thing you were doing before all this happened; getting a bunny to cross the desert.

As we pass by the nomad tent outside Tatroi, another cutscene ensues.

Click here to investigate the nomads.

Faize walks off to the tents, the rest of the gang head off towards the bunny woods.

Except for Lymle, that is.

Faize contemplates what he's seeing, until he hears the patter of footsteps behind him.

"Nobody's here, 'kay?"

"It appears they've all stepped out. We'll have to bid them a visit another time."

"...You really never stop, do you?"

Faize looks back inside the tent once last time before leaving, ending the scene.

"No, unfortunately not."

"I see...Well, let's try stopping by on the way back."

"Yes...I suppose that would be best."

Anyway, with that done, all we have to do is walk to where the bunny scene happened last time, interact with the bunny on the field, and...

Now Playing - The Bunny Hop

We are now officially riding the bunny. In Final Fantasy, Chocobos were often useful for covering distances quickly. In Last Hope, a bunny is barely faster than Edge's normal movement speed. I'm pretty sure dashing constantly gets you places faster than the bunny. Hence the only reason to use this thing is to get through the desert.

These quicksand bars would suck you in and force you back to the start of the area if you tried to cross without a bunny. Once you're past this first one, the bunny is no longer necessary. However, if you accidentally end up in one of the quicksand traps after dismounting, you'll still be forced back to the entrance and need to get another bunny.

At this point, you're completely safe, as getting stuck in the quicksand will only send you back to the start of this area. None bar your path forward completely, or at least not without a long way around being possible.

I believe this is also where "Disc 2" started on the original releases.

Now Playing - DIM (Band Remix)

I assume this cave is a reflection of something from Star Ocean 1, because otherwise it's a superfluous area that only serves to pad out the region. It is also home to these red, glowing "Fireflies" which make a hideous sound akin to Nirnroot from Elder Scrolls turned up to 11. You can actually click on them and collect them for a quest later, also making them shut up.

Anyway, after a short jaunt through this and an area just outside the Purgatorium, we finally reach...the Purgatorium!

Click here to see the Purgatorium.

"Yes. It would certainly seem to be one of Sarah's feathers."

"This is consistent with our ealier information. Miss Sarah must be here."

"Let's split up and see if we can't find any clues."

They all walk up the stairs together, and then start splitting up to look around.

"You know, the ones that she said looked like you and me..."

"The Muah, huh...The race whose genes we were supposedly implanted with..."

"Earthlings in general...That's my impression."

This just in; Earthling-like statues resemble Earthlings.

"How could the Muah have existed on both Earth and Roak, so far apart in space? What were they...?"

Which is answered in Star Ocean 1, I believe; the Muah are Earthlings from the Mu Continent (a "real" place insomuch as people once theorized a sunken continent called Mu existed) who got involved in some time-space fuckery (like that convenient black hole that took us to alt Earth, but with a meteor) and ended up spread across a few different planets in the galaxy.

"It's so strange...Even though their genes live inside me..."

"Reimi..."

"Hey everyone, c'mere, 'kay?"

Edge, Reimi and Faize walk off towards Lymle. A brief cut ensues.

"But...it's a dead end."

The wall doesn't budge.

"...Huh. Not gonna be that easy, I guess."

"This is like, so deflating..."

Bacchus speaking.

"I wonder if Sarah's even here..."

"Meowreka!"

"I just had a revelation! When you're stuck like this, there's only one solution: ask for help!"

"Ask? Ask who?"

"...Lady Eleyna?"

"Lady Eleyna probably knows EVERYTHING. I mean, seriously! She's a sage! A Holy Maiden!"

"Isn't that just from some fairy tale you read?"

"Yeah, but, c'mon! Sarah said she was going to see Lady Eleyna, too. She must know something!"

"I wanna go, too. It sounds fun, 'kay?"

"What's the plan, Edge?"

"...Let's go. It's better than standing around."

"What proof do we have this Eleyna can be trusted?"

"Sarah said it herself. People who've lost their way go to see her. We may not have any proof...but I want to trust Sarah."

And on that note, the scene ends.

Now Playing - Purge Thyself (Imperial Voices Remix)

We can explore a small portion of the Purgatorium. There's chests to get, and enemies to fight, but nothing all that interesting.

I'm going to end this update here.

Join me next time, where Meracle learns the hard way you should never meet your heroes.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 25, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The frequent stutters with camera changes in some cutscenes are always jarring. What is up with that?
That cutscene of elf girl sure looks like a much younger version of her now.

Come here, Barney!

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

The frequent stutters with camera changes in some cutscenes are always jarring. What is up with that?

Yeah I think that's my computer's fault. Seems to not like parts of this game. I swear it's handled newer, more intensive games flawlessly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That happened with mine as well. This game does cutscenes poorly. An upcoming cutscene obliterated my frame rate that I thought the game was crashing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I mean pretty much everyone in this setting is a human unless they have wings or elf ears, how do those statues specifically resemble "earthlings."

Also Sex Object Lady's ears are goofy and stupid, she has to go sideways through fuckin' doorways not to get stuck.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Her race evolved ears like a cat's whiskers: if her ears fit, she can too. And then it became a sexual indicator and the ear length race was on.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So did Dame Boobsalot get her clothes blasted off by shipborne railguns when Crowe killed her boyfriend?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Its her cultures mourning clothes. Like some cultures wear white for funerals instead of black. You bare your soul in anguish and your body as well.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
one of the weird things about this segment is that after the assembly-line BAM-BAM-BAM of the last few planets, now the game is trying its hand at a longer interweaving narrative

Ice Peasant Planet introduced us to weird magic disease bullshit (and lymle), space lizard ship introduced us to the assholes causing all this, Edge Maverick Blew Up The Planet Earth Through His Own Stupidity (and also a catgirl happens), these all had their plot points to hit and they hit them hard and fast

it is not entirely clear why we are still on this planet beyond look, you assholes, this is a prequel, we gotta do some references to the first game

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 24 - Eleyna the Holy Cow

Two things I feel the need to make a note of; first, I have discovered that Myuria Tionysus, who previously helped us on Cardianon, is actually searching the galaxy in hopes of killing Crowe.

Second, the Featherfolk girl that has been helping us thus far, Sarah Jerand, has been kidnapped by a mysterious group of thugs. We tracked her to the Purgatorium, a local holy place...or whatever it is, but we cannot get further inside.

Due to a lack of leads, we decided to find this "Lady Eleyna Farrence" mentioned by Meracle and Sarah, who is apparently a seer and may be able to help us. We'll see."

Reaching Tropp requires us to leave the Purgatorium and head in the opposite direction from whence we came in the cave that leads up to it.

Tropp is of course another town from Star Ocean 1.

Upon entering, a cutscene greets us.

Click here to hear demon worshippers openly preach.

We hear NPCs chattering as we enter.

Who is uglier; this guy, or Shimada?

"His resurrection is nigh."

"Indeed, we are the Church of Sydonai. But I ask you...what reason is there for you to be worried? It is Asmodeus who shall deliver this world unto salvation."

The NPCs murmur unsubtitled lines of concern.

"Avert your eyes from false peace, and witness the truth of this world! If you would do but that...you shall surely begin to see. Your beloved families, friends, and neighbors blighted, becoming as cold stone, trapped within the clutches of darkness and pain forevermore..."

"That is unjust. Would you not agree with me?"

Pink Haired Lady: "H-he has a point..."

Of course, we know the King of Astral is basically handing that poo poo out for free.

"Yes, my friends. This world of ours walks the wrong path. The virtuous and chaste writhe in agony throughout the land, while the wretched and shameless fill the vessels of their desire. But there is one who would consume this miserable world in his flames of purification. Yea, none other than the magnificent Asmodeus."

The NPCs start murmuring receptively.

"Yes, it is precisely as you say. Asmodeus will consume the world with his flames, and we along with it."

Old Man: "B-but then we'd all die! What good would that be?"

All the NPCs start agreeing with the old man.

Old Man: "Wha?"

Now Playing - Dark Heart, Dark Mind

"By accepting Asmodeus as your savior, you shall receive his divine mercy. His destruction of this ugly, wretched world is merely a gateway to the beautiful new one that he will create. Within that new world, Asmodeus's followers-we!-shall be granted eternal happiness. We must but love the Almighty Lord unconditionally, so that we may be bathed in the light of his divine love in return. The pain of being consumed in his flames of purification will last but an instant, but the happiness granted in his new world will be eternal...I say to you again: Eternal!"

Cult Man and his followers walk away, with Cult Man making a silly circling gesture with his hands as he goes.

The NPCs begin to murmur about whether this "new world" could be possible.

"That guy's facial hair is so ugly, I would've believed he was part of the USTA."

(So this is Sydonaism...the cult of the Archfiend. They are clearly not to be taken lightly.)

"He speaks with such conviction. I wouldn't be surprised if he gained a lot of new followers here. Of course, as we all know, everything that comes out of his mouth is absolute nonsense..."

(Indeed. These people have stopped receiving medicine only because shipments of raw materials have been stymied.)

"And we must not forget whoever was behind the bandit Edge defeated, attempting to halt the remedy's distribution. But of course, the Royal Knights are dealing with that matter."

But anyone that's played Star Ocean 1 knows the Archfiend does exist. Although he's not really a Demon so much as an engineered super being that somehow took over the Demon Realm.

Oh yes, there's a Demon Realm in the Oceanverse. It's more like an alternate dimension that happens to be full of horrible, evil creatures.

*Pantywaist groan*

"Something wrong?"

"No, I was just thinking...I was wondering what will happen to his followers when their leader does disappear. It's none of our business. Let's go."

Everyone walks onwards and the scene ends.

Tropp is of course filled with quests to do and shops to patronize. But we're going to continue on directly to Eleyna's pad.

Click here for a big long cutscene involving Eleyna and other animals.

No response.

Trespassing means nothing to Lymle.

"I guess that decides it. Let's see what we can find."

As they go inside, the thugs that kidnapped Sarah watch.

"Same here."

"Me, neither. She must be really good at hide-and-seek."

"I'd expect no less. Regular people like us can't hope to match her hide-and-seek skills."

We cut to the inside of a cave.

"We were in Eleyna's house just a moment ago..."

We hear footsteps approaching.

That's Edge talking.

"I knew you were Sarah's friends, and I knew the house would burn down, nearly taking you with it."

"Uh, we..."

"That's why I prepared a transfer symbol for you wretches. Show some appreciation."

"Huh? Th-thank you...very much..."

Everyone performs some gesture of thanks.

"Very well. You may now rejoice."

"Come. I don't recall summoning you, but you might get some tea."

"I won't say it again, stripling. Come."

"Y-yes ma'am!"

"And don't dawdle."

Now Playing - Walking on Air

Eleyna walks back the way she came.

Everyone starts following Eleyna.

*Ineffectual pantywaist meow*

"Oh, I suspect she's just in shock. Eleyna must not have lived up to Meracle's image of the "Holy Maiden.""

Eleyna activates this sconce with a flick of her hand.

And the rest of them.

"Be sparing with your praise. I'm bashful."

"It's not praise!"

"...She's a bully, huh?"

"...Definitely."

Would it kill Last Hope to let us have a genuinely pleasant female character that isn't marred by some awful gimmick? The closest thing is Sarah, but she has that grating voice and airhead routine.

"Perhaps, but it appears her reputation was not unfounded. She not only knew of our relationship with Sarah and that we were coming to see her, she even predicted the fire."

"Then I wish she'd saved us a little faster!"

"I saved your life, and in doing so showed you how precious it is. I believe I ought to be thanked for that, not blamed."

"This is wrong...all wrong! Lady Eleyna's supposed to be beautiful, and wise, and kind..."

"You see? That's me to the letter."

*Catlike growling*

""Leynie," huh? How amusing. "Leynie the Holy Maiden"...Hmm. That might be even better."

"Oh, please, no more!"

"I have a hideout up ahead, ragamuffin."

"A hideout?"

"There are more after my life than I can count, you see. Here, we've arrived."

"So that's what you look like."

"...When did you notice me?"

"Don't underestimate me. Before I even met you, obviously."

"...My apologies, Miss Eleyna."

"You can wait there. You might fit inside, but your hulking brawn would be a nuisance."

"As you wish. I shall stand watch here, then."

That's Reimi.

"It's not a problem. I'll still be able to hear your conversation from here."

"Stop playing pattycake like halfwits and get inside, you lot."

And in they go. We then cut elsewhere.

That's a secret door to Eleyna's cave.

tri-Ace Writer: "Myuria breasted boobily and titted behind the thugs..."

The thugs run into the ocean to douse themselves offscreen. They either drowned, or were too badly burnt to come back.

Now Playing - Dreams Frozen in Amber

Myuria starts listening in on the door to Eleyna's place, hearing Edge talking.

"Please, tell us-is Sarah trapped within the Purgatorium? And if so, can you tell us how to get inside?"

"There are those who secretly threaten this land. I imagine you've heard of them-a rather tawdry group that calls itself the Church of Sydonai. They are the ones that kidnapped Sarah."

Golly, what a twist.

"Why would the Archfiend cult do that?"

"They are bona fide idiots. No, worse-imbecilic cretins. Although many heroes gave their lives to defeat the Archfiend, this dogged little cult has continued to worship him for millennia. They've always seduced new converts in secret, but lately, their activities have become increasingly bold. It's almost as if they're being prodded by something, or someone."

Just a brief cut to Myuria so you know she's still listening, I guess.

"The Sydonaists' ultimate goal, of course, is the Archfiend's resurrection. The Sydonaists lust after my power. They bade me join their Church, but I'm sure you can guess what my answer was."

The party gasps and exhales.

"What? You look as if you think I'm talking nonsense."

"Wha? N-no, that's not it at all..."

"I don't find it such a strange tale. After all, you lot sitting before me now..."

Even more gasping.

"If you ask me, both are equally nonsensical. Like I warned your hulking friend outside...Don't underestimate me."

"Hmph."

"And you learned this through your...fortunetelling?"

"Not exactly fortuntetelling. Augury, to be more precise. It's very taxing, but far more accurate. As you lot have just demonstrated. I had foreseen that Sarah would send me intriguing guests....You're most intriguing, indeed."

"...What's wrong with you?"

Eleyna glares at Faize, and he backs down. A pity, because I wish someone had the balls to just call her a bitch.

"Sarah is like a sister to me. Of course I'm concerned."

"But then, why...?"

"I received a message from on high and was waiting. Waiting for you lot to arrive from the stars."

"You were waiting...for us?"

"Yes. You are the only ones who can save Sarah and prevent the resurrection of the Archfiend."

"Woaaaaaah, vague prophecies! They're so mind blowing!"

"Prevent the...resurrection...?"

"All of you who stand before me, travelers from across the stars...I tell you once again. You must stop the Archfiend resurrection rituals that proceed at the Purgatorium even as we speak."

"WOAH HOW DID SHE KNOW THAT I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WOAH"

"The Archfiend must not yet come. It is too soon."

"Too soon? You speak as if his resurrection is inevitable."

"Of course it is."

"What?"

"The Archfiend will indeed be resurrected...but not quite yet. When the time comes, a band of warriors will rise up and destroy him. But those warriors are not you. So sayeth the plot to Star Ocean 1."

"...Is that another of your auguries?"

"Indeed. But that's beside the point. What's important now is forestalling the Archfiend's resurrection. And most importantly, you must rescue Sarah, the key to that resurrection."

"Wait a minute! I-I don't get it. What does Sarah have to do with the Archfiend?"

"His revival requires a sacrifice of holy blood. Sarah is of the sacred Featherfolk-more than worthy to be offered to the Archfiend. Her rescue and the prevention of the Archfiend's resurrection are one and the same."

"What...what if we fail? What would happen to this planet?"

"If you fail?"

"The holy virgin, garbed in white, walks upon the path to the altar..."

"Leynie, what's going on?"

"The vile Archfiend, bade forth from his realm of deepest darkness, shall awaken to feast upon the corpse of the virgin. His coming shall herald the end of days."

"It's...it's almost like she's a different person..."

"Would this be...an augury...?"

"As the world is immersed in flames of ruination, there is no quarter, no escape. All shall be reduced to ash."

Eleyna struggles to get back up.

"Sarah's death brings with it this land's extinction. There is no hope and no compromise. No matter how often I invoke this future, it is always the same...The destruction is inescapable. But if you can manage to save Sarah, perhaps it can be averted. I would like to...pin my hopes on that..."

Eleyna grunts in pain.

"I'm praised as a phenomenal teller of fortunes, but just look at me...My body wracked with the pain of auguries...Unable to help anyone...unable to save my friend..."

Now Playing - Yin and Yang

"You can't...Please, don't ask me to get involved with the fate of an entire planet!"

That's right, Edge isn't over his pantywaist phase. Like dude, all you have to do is avoid giving the cult anything but cold steel to the neck.

"Edge..."

"That's not something I can do! Sarah's one thing, but...an entire planet...."

"Foolish...stripling..."

"Are you all right!?"

Brief cut.

"She's out cold, 'kay?"

"...Let's go. To the Purgatorium."

"Faize..."

"Frankly, I have my doubts about this Archfiend resurrection business. But it's clear that Sarah is in grave danger, nonetheless."

"But...Eleyna still isn't showing any signs of waking up. And...we don't have any way to get into the Purgatorium, either."

"Then we'll just have to make one. Even if we have to obliterate the entire structure."

"No way! I'm not going to let you do anything that crazy!"

"Then what would you have us do!?"

"Wait...Wait, until Eleyna wakes up."

"We don't have time for that!"

"She told us to go to the Purgatorium to stop the rituals. but we don't have any way of getting deeper inside. Eleyna must be aware of that. She knows exactly how to get inside. She has to...I'm sure of it."

"Don't you understand? You heard what they'll do to Sarah! Are you just going to give up on her? On Roak itself!?"

"That's not what I'm saying!"

"You may as well be! If you were the Edge I knew..."

He would do something incredibly stupid?

"...You wouldn't have even hesitated. Ever since we met on Aeos...And then on Lemuris and on Cardianon...You never took your eyes off your goal or let anything scare you. You always moved forward! That's the whole reason I wanted to come with you!"

"Me!? I'm the guy that got Earth destroyed just because I didn't think things through! I think about that happening again, and...I get so scared...I get so freaked out I can't even move!"

"drat right I did! But that's not going to make this fear go away!"

"Both of you, stop it!"

"...!"

"...Of course not."

Except that he doesn't have to be. A certain someone took over when Edge was clearly unfit for command. Who was that again...?

"...Fine."

"Wow, Reirei..."

"I wouldn't want to get on your bad side..."

"Heh..."

And the scene finally ends there. I'd go on, but I need somewhere to stop, and this will do.

Join me next time, where we destroy a religion.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 25, 2023

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That augury sure looked a lot brighter and a lot less bird intestine looking than I thought it would.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What an amazing hideout entrance she has there. A shame she can't find somewhere that isn't obvious and difficult to reach without teleportation.
Her house being torched is not something people will ignore. The Satanists are now known as arsonists.

edit\/\/: That was just the demon guy and not his followers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 19, 2023

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Satanists are now known as arsonists.

The other guy did say that the world was going to burn...

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Why have one pointy eared boobalicious babe with technicolor hair... when we could have TWO?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Why have one pointy eared boobalicious babe with technicolor hair... when we could have TWO?

somewhere, a tri-ace developer looked at a Star Ocean 1 sprite and said: "finally, my chance to make my unsettlingly horny vision reality"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

You know, I'm liking Faize more and more for being literally the only character willing to call out at least some of this tedious obnoxious bullshit and trying to actually do something.

I know from comments earlier in the thread that this will not last and he will be ruined soon enough. But right now he is the only tolerable person in the bunch. Bacchus comes second for being less insufferable than the rest but also being useless. The rest of them need to die immediately so I don't have to read about them any more.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I think Eleyna is my favourite female character so far, simply based on the utter disdain she's willing to show for the rest of the party. I hope she keeps that up rather than learning some sort of important Friendship Lesson later on.

Also hey, this cult guy's got a point. If we all get burned to ashes then we'll all be equal!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

At this point Edge has been angsting over blowing up Fake Earth for longer than it took him to blow it up in the first place.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 25 - Close Shut the Jaws of Oblivion

We met with the, uh, Holy Maiden Eleyna and she was...an acquired taste. But she confirmed that Sarah is in the Purgatorium.

She also told us that we're destined to stop the Archfiend's resurrection. That means we have to interfere with this planet again. And that makes me...uggghhh...."

"No, stop it! No crying, no whinging, no nothing! Let's just wait for Eleyna to wake up in peace!"

After the end of the cutscene, we're given another period to walk around and talk to people. After interacting with Eleyna and then Reimi, another scene begins.

Click here for the conclusion to that long rear end cutscene from before.

"Miss Eleyna...Thank goodness."

"...How long was I unconscious?"

"It's already morning."

"We were discussing how to get deeper inside the Purgatorium, and, uh...there was a difference of opinion..."

"I see...That was careless of me."

"What...?"

"How could a civilization like this possibly possess keycards...?"

"Without that Lamp of Guidance, you won't be able to get very far into the Purgatorium. There's no other way. And if you had tried to force your way in, you might have gotten Sarah killed."

" :sigh: Where did you get the keycard...I mean, "Lamp of Guidance"?"

"It was given to me by someone who claimed to carry the blood of the Muah. Now go. And please...save Sarah."

"...Very well. Let's go."

Everyone begins to leave.

"Wh-what? You wanna burst even more of my bubbles!?"

"Come see me when this is over and tell me of your Holy Maiden. Next time I will not make light of her."

Now Playing - Peace of Mind

Meracle leaves.

"But I will say this. Stop being so full of yourself. It's ridiculous."

"Wha-!?"

"The star ocean is endless, the world vast beyond knowing. If you presume to think you can carry it all yourself, you're a fool. It is the stars themselves that decide between prosperity and destruction. All is fate."

"But..."

"Or are you so arrogant as to believe you can manipulate fate itself? Don't be so presumptuous, you idiot."

"N-no, I don't-"

"What you are capable of doing, and the influence you wield, is limited. Yes, something you trigger might eventually swell into an enormous wave, enveloping everything...The very fate of a world might even be swayed. But your actions alone are not enough. A great many factors conspire to bring a world's fate to its ultimate conclusion."

"Miss Eleyna..."

Now Playing - Ruin and Creation (Monologue Mix)

"Leave pride by the wayside, move forward with every fiber of your being, and you will begin to discover what you are capable of. Insignificant as you are, you will discovery something that only you can do. That is the path you must walk."

*Inspired pantywaist ellipsis*

"In any case, you have this girl with you, don't you?"

"Huh? Y-you mean me!?"

"I am sure you have faced incredible pain and hardship. But the Muah inside you is there for a reason."

"The Muah...inside me...?"

"Stay with this stripling, you who were born under the Muah's divine protection...child of hope."

She really found "stay with Edge" that loving inspiring?

Anyway, we cut outside the cave, where Myuria was listening in before.

"...Let's go."

"...Yeah."

Edge speaking.

"I told you I had business on this planet, didn't I? Well, look at that-it would seem we even share the same goal now."

That's right, this is what Morphus look like. Just space elves with longer ears.

"So you are a Morphus, too?"

Hang on, Bacchus, you mean you didn't recognize one of your own people when you saw them? It's not like there's another species with those ears running around.

"I've heard plenty of stories about you, Bacchus. It's an honor to meet you, I suppose."

"I remember some of you from Cardianon."

"You're that woman from..."

"What are you doing here on Roak?"

"I'd like to know myself. That business with the Cardianon, and now Roak...Why are you people always at the center of things?...I suppose it doesn't matter. Anyway, I'll be joining you."

"...Do you still want to kill him?"

"Of course, boy. And don't worry-I'll be staying with you until I do."

"...What's she talking about, Edge?"

"What!?"

Another galaxy brain plan from Edge Maverick.

The scene ends, and Myuria officially joins the party.

"Though it's not something confined to Roak alone...But right now, we need to get to the Purgatorium."

*Useless ellipsis*

Myuria is a typical mage character. Unlike Faize, she isn't remotely suited for melee, and unlike Lymle her healing skills aren't much good until much later. She is focused on attack magic, which most people consider worthless in this game. However, I'm swapping Faize for her for now, because she does his thing better and at least has one healing spell.

One of her victory animations sees her blowing kisses. Myuria isn't just a sex object, sex is a good 80 percent of her entire character. She will play act sexy and suggestive with Edge and others going forward. Her username on the Morphus internet is "titonysus69".

Her blindside sees her teleporting like she did against the Sydonai thugs earlier. Not that you'll use it much, seeing as Myuria isn't built for this.

Anyway, aside from making use of our new party member, there's another thing we need to get done; going all the way back to the Calnus!

We have a Private Action to see, and it's on Lpix to ease the size of this update.

To summarize, Edge and Bacchus try to talk Myuria out of killing Crowe, she makes sex jokes and refuses to listen.

Now let's get back to the Purgatorium!

Now Playing - Purge Thyself (Imperial Voices Remix)

Using the keycard in the spot from last time gets us inside. I dunno why, but scenes like this door going down really hammer my framerate.

Inside this dungeon, we find Sydonaists as regular enemies. They are possibly the weakest enemies we will encounter, serving as nothing but nuisances.

The bulk of the puzzles in the Purgatorium involve these statues that point to pot torches we need to light. They move to point to the next torch in the sequence, and once we've lit them all in order, the way forward will open. Get the sequence wrong and an enemy spawns.

This enemy, to be precise, but they're also encountered as regular enemies. Fire Corpses are a lot tougher than Sydonaists and have some annoying attacks that can't be interrupted. Still, they're not really a challenge.

Pictured here are Mage Chimeras, generic versions of the Genomic Beast from Alt Earth. They're big and beefy, but not that hard to beat.

The little goober with them is called a Spirit Priest. It's a weak enemy that typically spends its time casting spells. I kill them so quickly I don't typically see them do anything.

That enemy in the middle is a Succubus. It's worst feature is buffing itself and whatever enemies it comes with, making them hard to damage without critical attacks.

There's other enemies to encounter, but like the rest of Roak, they're all uninteresting pallet swaps.

Eventually, after making your way through some puzzles and rooms, you'll find yourself against a miniboss.

"This must be the guardian of the Purgatorium. Somehow I doubt that diplomacy will be very effective here."

"Ooooh! Look at the big doggie!"

"H-hey, stay away from it!"

(...We don't have time for this!) "Careful, everyone! Here it comes!"

Now Playing - The Eleventh Hour

Guardian Beast. It's resilient, it has seeker magic attacks, but it's not hard.

"Its life sign reading has disappeared. In its place, however..."

"Ooh, the doggie transformed! Hey, that looks like Grampa's ring!"

"We need to keep moving!"

The Light Ring is used to pass through doors blocked with evil shadows. Some lead to treasure, others lead forward.

However, the Light Ring has only one charge. To fill it up, we have to interact with light crystals in the Purgatorium. There's a number of these scattered around.

It is entirely possible to block yourself out of proceeding if you proceed the wrong way. Not to the point you have to reload, mind you, just that you'll have to walk out of the Purgatorium to reset the light crystals. If you thought the other rings were annoying, this one is so much worse.

There are a few segments where multiple statues exist. You have to make sure you're lighting a torch they're ALL pointing to, and some overlap. The room in the screenshot actually has four statues total.

At a certain point, we're greeted with another cutscene.

Click here for something only Faize will hear for plot reasons.

"There's some people in there, but we should split up so only I hear what they say."

"Alright gang, Faize wants us to be conveniently ignorant of this next plot point! Let's go search random rooms!"

Dark Skinned Cultist: "Asmodeus's resurrection is only a matter of time."

White Skinned Cultist: "How I yearn to hear the white maiden's cry of death...for it is her soul that will stir Asmodeus to wake."

("White maiden"...? That can only be Sarah. And if they're still yearning, that must mean she's still alive...)

Now Playing - Harlequin's Slumber

White Skinned Cultist: "What's that shabby rag?"

Dark Skinned Cultist: "This? It's what those black-cloaked hermits wear. This belonged to the one I offered up to Asmodeus just this morning. The Archfiend will walk a path opened by their blood. The least I can do is allow their wordly possessions to bask in his magnificence."

White Skinned Cultist: "At dawn, the black hermits' souls openeth the door..."

Dark Skinned Cultist: "At dusk, the white maiden's soul calleth him forth..."

Both Cultists: "O Asmodeus, most exalted Archfiend..."

"What did you do to those people!?"

The two cultists nod at each other.

Now Playing - Yin and Yang

"Edge...these were the men that spread the stone sickness throughout Roak. It looks like they were doing it to try and foster unease among the people."

"Wh-what cowards..."

"But more importantly...The resurrection ritual has already begun!"

"What!?"

"We must hurry...There's no time."

"Will do. I'll go get everyone together!"

Edge leaves the room.

End scene.

*Angry ellipsis*

"Huh? What are you angry about, Faize?"

"They've already started the ritual. C'mon, people, let's hurry!"

Our next challenge is an extra large chamber where we must run up and down for the right torch to light. It's tedious.

Completing this section drains the water and opens the way to the boss. It may also annihilate your framerate if you're in my shoes.

Click here to destroy a cult.

"Sarah!"

"I have verified her breathing."

"Thank goodness...We made it in time."

"It's Sarrie!"

"I was so scared, I thought she might be dead!"

Myuria speaking.

Faize is naturally worrying about the life Amina, the girl he spoke with for a few minutes and thought was pretty.

"You were in Tropp..."

"You must have been brought here by our humble efforts to make Asmodeus's magnificence known throughout the land. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Come, and let us offer our prayers to Asmodeus. We shall witness his resurrection together, and together we shall be destroyed so that a new world may be born."

"We're not here to worship Asmodeus. We're here to get our friend."

"You're free to worship whatever god, whatever Archfiend you please. But only after you've righted your wrongs."

"I must confess, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb. We're already aware that you were deliberately spreading the stone sickness in order to foment unrest."

"Hmm...but I ask you, where exactly is the sin in that?"

(Starts gradually building over the next few bits of dialogue)

"Wha-!?"

"The world is slowly but surely heading on the path to destruction. Our activities merely serve to help it along toward its ultimate destiny. Your friend shall have the honor of becoming that world's cornerstone. Why will you, her friend, not rejoice in the honor she has been granted? I do not understand you."

"Nonsense! The destruction of the world? Gimme a break! That's not what Sarah wants!"

"My, my. You speak foolishness, my son. That is exactly what she wants. I know it to be true. Yes, I know very well."

"Mr. Edge...What is this man? What is this creature that stands before us?"

"Humans are never satisfied with what they have for very long. They endlessly seek new and exotic pleasures. But the reality of this world is not conductive to supporting such an appetite. It has limits, you know. Thus, you see...I am unsatisfied. Land, glory, money...no matter how much I acquire...I'm afraid I've completely exhausted the world's resources of such things. But still I want more, more, more. Yes...even if my mortal body should decay and burn. Now you see just how insatiable the human appetite really is."

"You bastard...You miserable bastard...!"

Now Playing - Like the Wind

That's Reimi.

"Such heat..."

"The light...It's so beautiful..."

"People! It's time!"

"Edge!"

"We're stopping this resurrection...and we're getting Sarah back!"

"Yes!"

Now Playing - The Eleventh Hour

"Is this your destruction? Wimpy cultists I can kill in three blows?"

"You underestimate the power of the followers of Asmodeus!"

"Behold! Asmodeus grants us the power to stunlock you in the corner!"

"drat it! That's mildly annoying!"

"Foolish heathens...Let us achieve beautiful destruction together!"

Once we've gotten through two waves of Sydonaists, Tamiel himself pops into battle. Sydonaists will continue to enter the battle as long as he is around.

The first time I attempted this fight, this dude put me through a trial and a half. He has all these annoying seeker attacks and a sweeping beam attack. On top of that, he often inflicted annoying statuses on my party.

However, this time around, I wiped him out real quick with a Rush Combo. It seems like the key to victory is to just hit the bastard as hard and fast as you can, before he can disrupt your formation.

If any Sydonaists are still around after you kill Tamiel, you'll need to kill them before the fight ends.

"But...I beseech you, almighty Archfiend...Bring to these people their destruction...and bless them in your beautiful new world..."

Bacchus above.

"I really have no idea...but he stayed a zealot to his god until the very end..."

I assume he's referring to the Cardianon and their devotion to the Grigori.

Speaking of, I'll come out and say it now; Tamiel was a Grigori. That stone in his head was a Grigori rock. It's not officially confirmed, but the fact that he has the name of a biblical Grigori, said that he "assumed human form", and all of Edge's "wow this is familiar" comments make it pretty clear. Also you can (and I did, but funnily enough didn't even notice it at the time) get a battle trophy for Rush Comboing a Grigori to death, and Tamiel is a valid candidate.

"Edge? Oh, and everyone else...Um...good morning, everyone."

"Sarrie!"

"Thank goodness."

"But why am I...? Oh yes, now I remember. I suddenly had guests come to visit me through my window. I thought I would go and make them some tea, but then...Yes, that's right. They took me away somewhere. Goodness gracious, I wasn't expecting that at all."

Everyone sighs at Sarah's airhead routine.

"...You're not hurt, are you?"

"I'm fine. I was asleep, so I'm not quite certain what happened next, but it seems that you've all come down here to rescue me?"

"Wh-what?"

"I take it you had a chance to talk to Miss Eleyna, huh? You look just a little better, you know?"

"Sarah...I...I..."

"Hmmm?"

"Thank you...thank you...I know...I didn't screw up this time...You...and Roak...are alive...!"

Faize stars laughing crazy and evil like.

"Hey, Faize!"

"Come on, hurry!"

"Yes...I'll be there in a moment. Oh, and by the way...there was nothing over here. Nothing...at all..."

Faize walks off and the scene ends.

I just want to say this is the second time that Jason Liebrecht has voiced a character in a tri-Ace game who had a love interest and their entire group of societal outsiders butchered in order to give his character angsty character development. If it weren't for the fact that Capell and Faize don't share a Japanese voice actor, I'd say it was intentional. But as it is, it's just rehashing the same ideas they used in the game they released just a few months ago.

"What's wrong, Edge?"

"Ah, it's nothing. Let's go."

And here I'm going to have to stop.

Join me next time, where we finally leave Roak behind.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 25, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wait, Undiscovery and Last Hope were released a couple months from each other. I wonder if they were cannibalizing resources and story ideas from each other if that's the case.

Will Faize's angst arc be as unsatisfying as Capell's or Edge's? Or will it be worse?!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Every time Faize is positioned like this on the screen I see that strange brown pauldron on his shoulder like he doesn't have an arm, just an amputated stub.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Will Faize's angst arc be as unsatisfying as Capell's or Edge's? Or will it be worse?!

There are no words that can quite capture the magic of Faize's journey. Not in this language, not in any other language.

Also, I appreciate Eleyna or whatever the gently caress her name is trying to sort out Edge, but if he actually told her what he did, she'd probably be all, "Uh poo poo. I take back everything I said. Good luck kid. You need it."

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also, next update we leave Roak behind. That means we're getting back on the boat.

That means that Tits and Ditz McGee are going to meet Welch, so we have that going for us and now I'm unsure if we made the right choice in killing Poirot mustache #2.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your battle title also explicitly called Tamiel a Grigori. I missed out on an engaging battle system had I stopped caring about losing my board bonus all the time. Then again, it felt like every hit I took when controlling a character shook it apart over time.

Interesting that the people on Roak consider themselves human. Probably not anything important or lazy script-writing. And another unimportant detail that Edge got over himself due to Sarah trying to cheer him up, while everyone else with a name is telling him to deal with it and failing.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Your battle title also explicitly called Tamiel a Grigori.

drat, I completely missed that.

Funnily enough, I googled this earlier looking for more explicit confirmation, and someone claimed they couldn't get that battle trophy from Rush Comboing Tamiel. I guess they were just wrong.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I still don't understand what "The Last Hope" is hoping to stop.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
I just can't with Tamiel's mustache. I like to assume it's merging with his hair.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I still don't understand what "The Last Hope" is hoping to stop.

They certainly haven't made it clear yet. Once we get off of Roak, we'll be getting more and more explicit answers.

However, if you piece together bits of context, it should be rather clear what we're trying to stop, and some of what it wants.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The Last Hope is that this game is somehow going to turn out to have some decent character in it.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 26 - Farewell to Roaka Scotia

We stopped the evil Sydonaist cult and their Archfiend resurrection! I finally feel like a real hero again, having rescued Sarah and not accidentally caused the destruction of a whole planet! Who knew all I had to do was make sure I don't give anyone an exalithium crystal?

Faize has been acting weird ever since we got done killing that guy, but it's probably nothing important. Happy days!"

"...born to die...universe is a gently caress..."

"Happy days!"

Anyway, after beating Tamiel, you have to walk out of the Purgatorium manually. No teleporting to the exit, just walking back through all the doors and encounters on the way.

Click here for a post purgatorium cutscene.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"I have to head back to Tropp and let Miss Eleyna know that Mr. Asmodeus wasn't resurrected after all. Thank you so much for everything you've done for me. Well then, see you later!"

"I...I didn't even get to say goodbye!"

"Sarrie...She just left us..."

Edge talking.

"I guess it is just like her, but...yeah, I'll miss her. And Eleyna. She really helped us out...didn't she?"

"Yeah."

"You know...I always hated myself for being different. I couldn't stand what had been done to me..."

"Eleyna's encouragement definitely helped, but more than anything else it was because the light from your crest was so warm..."

"Just be the Edge you've always been, always moving forward. As long as you can do that, I know your crest will keep on shining forever."

"So I SHOULD give exalithium crystals to people who ask for them?"

"Um, okay, maybe not that part..."

"...Faize, there's something weird with you, 'kay?"

"...It's your imagination."

A computerish noise is heard.

"What was that?"

"Did something happen?"

"...I don't know. Let's get moving."

And the scene ends there. Our next objective is to return to the Calnus, but let's put that off for now.

First things first, we're going back to the Tatroi Colosseum! We finally get to use it in full. However, they make you do a quest to get inside, a boring one that involves finding an NPC and giving them a common item. It's tedious, but at least it isn't difficult.

You've got your different modes to pick from. I think you can guess the general nature of each one. I'm only going to talk about Solo Mode for now.

You can't use your entire inventory in the ring, but instead get a choice of different item sets to make use of.

Winning in the arena pays out a special currency redeemable for specific awards. Standard stuff.

"I guess it's not all that impressive, but seeing my name on the official ranking board is pretty cool!"

"Yeah...um, Lym, honey, what are you doing?"

"Signing up for the tournament, it looks like fun."

"H-hang on, honey, we can't protect you if you go in solo!"

"I can win, I'm strong too, 'kay?"

"See? I can do it all by myself."

"She really did! That's wonderful, Lym!"

"Hey, now that you rank, I think I can officially challenge you to a fight."

"Cool! Let's play in the arena, 'kay, Edgie?"

"Woah, hang on, you guys can't fight each other!"

"Don't worry about it, I'll go easy on her!"

Click here to watch Edge beat the absolute poo poo out of Lymle.

Keith Actor, Commentator: "And on the opposing side...Oh, my, look at this! It's none other than Lymle's partner, Edge! Two fighters from the same stable, pitted against one another! Their competitive rivalry only serves to make each of them stronger! This is gonna be one white-hot battle, folks! The forbidden battle is about to begin! Is everybody ready? Fiiiiiiiiiight!!!"

"Why aren't they concerned he's about to fight a child!?"

"We weren't concerned we took her into battle, why would they be?"

"Let's have fun together, 'kay Edgie?"

"...I...I hear something...."

"Huh?"

"I feel like voices are screaming at me from somewhere....somewhere far away. Somewhere awful....They want me to hurt you Lymle. I...I can't resist their call..."

"Oh no...."

"YEAAAAAAAAAAH! EAT MY SWORD, LYMLE!"

"IT HURTS SO BAD, 'KAY!?"

Keith Actor, Commentator: "This is exactly how I expected things to turn out. I always knew Edge's raw talent was not to be overlooked! Congratulations, Edge! We eagerly await your next match!"

"Pfft, who didn't predict Edge beating a six year old?"

"YOOOOOOOOOOO, I NEVER SAW THIS COMING, THIS IS MORE INSANE THAN ELEYNA PREDICTING SARAH WAS IN THE PURGATORIUM, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH!"

"Edge! How could you!? Lym's all beat up!"

"She'll live. Now, Meracle..."

"MEOW!?"

"Get in the arena, or we're abandoning you on Roak."

"Please, Edge, have mercy!"

Click here to see Meracle get fed Edge's sword.

"Hah! You thought I was but a helpless kitten, didn't you? Well I'm a ferocious tiger, and I can fight as well as-"

"Why does sand taste like blood...?"

"There. I think that should keep the voices quiet."

"Not quite, Mr. Edge."

"B-Bacchus!?"

"The voices want you hurt, too, Mr. Edge. They do not care for you at all."

"That's ridiculous, I'm the hero! Everyone's loves-"

"...me..."

Here's a video, but it's not all that satisfying, as I wasn't used to playing Bacchus and didn't know how best to beat Edge down.

"That will satiate the voices...possibly. Let us move on."

Star Ocean's answer to Chocobo Racing can be found in the arena's sub level. To get started on this, you need to do a quest to obtain a personal bunny. No, not those wild ones you saddle to ride outside, this one stays here to be raced with whenever.

You also get to name the bunny. I named it Capell after Infinite Undiscovery's protagonist because I couldn't think of a better name.

You have to wager Fight Coins to enter the races, and will earn back more for winning.

Click here to see a Bunny Race.

Your bunny is always the default pink one.

Aside from typical racing mechanics, the "Jump" ability will stun all over bunnies except the one that used it. Think of it like that infamous Blue Shell in Mario Kart, except for everyone that's not you.

You can avoid getting stunned if you perform a jump before another bunny completes its own jump, but I just powered through it.

The key to winning races in this game is to stuff your bunny with pie items that can raise its stats. It's easy enough to find ingredients for pies on Roak, then take them back to the Calnus for crafting. You might also need a Vending Machine that can give you Pie Crusts, but that's easily made by crafting too.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say about bunny racing. If there's anything worth getting from it, I'll get it off screen much later.

I want to briefly detail an important sidequest, where you are tasked with killing this "Sand Bird" by a Retired Adventurer in Tropp. Killing this thing will stop the quicksand traps permanently, making it much easier to navigate Roak in the future. The Bird gets boss music, but it's nothing compared to Tamiel, and you know how short that was when I thought him.

I should mention you have to beat it once, go back to the Adventurer, then go back out to where you found it before, talk to the Adventurer, fight it again, and only then will the quicksand be gone for good. Also, you'll want to follow up with the Adventurer in Tatroi, as he'll give you the Ocarina skill, which Meracle can use to respawn enemies without leaving an area. Great for late game grinding and material gathering.

That's about it, so let's hop in the Calnus and leave.

Click here to be subject to Welch poisoning for the first time since we arrived.

Now Playing - Good Morning, Miss Vineyard

"This time it's the sexy big sister type, huh!? What a body! Those are some prime assets!"

I should also mention the other side of Myuria's character; being "old". She refers to everyone else as kids and generally acts, as Welch put it, as the "big sister type". All this at the venerable old age of...22. A mere two years older than Edge.

"Hey, Edge! What's with this scandalous behavior? I thought I raised you better than this!"

Welch launches into an unsubtitled rant.

"Is this woman...having an episode?"

"Lym says this is how she always is."

"Sorry, Welch...but do you think you can get to the point?"

"Oh, right. I got a little carried away there, huh. *Ahem* You have new orders from USTA headquarters."

"From HQ?"

""Captain Edge Maverick, along with all SRF-003 Calnus crew...are to report to planet Aeos immediately." ...k?"

"Planet Aeos, immediately? What for?"

"Aeos? But I thought Captain Grafton was doing exploration work with the Eldarians there?"

"Comms are down...?"

"Earth has been trying to get through to them, but there's been no response."

"That's odd...What's the reaction from Eldar?"

"Well..."

"Eldar, too...?"

"That's where you guys come in. Investigate what's happening on Aeos, and report back to headquarters, ASAP. Got it?"

"...Got it. Thanks, Welch."

"Hey, don't even mention it, kid. See ya! Oh, and by the way-looks like maintenance is all finished!"

Welch ends transmission.

"...What are we going to do?"

"The obvious, of course. We're going to follow orders. Besides, I'm worried about what's happened on Aeos, too."

"...Yes, I'm concerned about my Eldarian brethren as well."

Edge stares at Faize while you hear the others mumble unsubtitled lines.

"Hmmm? What is it...?"

"Huh? Oh, no, it's nothing. It's just...I feel like there's something different about you."

"Lymle said the same thing earlier. It's just your imagination."

"Hmmm...you still think it looks bad on me?"

"Yea."

Lymle cocks her head at him.

Everyone nods, and the scene ends.

We have a moment to move, but I'm just going to move us on to the next scene.

Click here to bid Roak a long desired farewell.

"Reimi, can you put Roak up on the screen?"

"Sure?"

"You can go back if you want. Losing one person won't make much of a difference."

If only if only, the Woodpecker sighed...

"We're all friends now. Why wouldn't I be here?"

"But Miss Myuria, what about your ship? Did you not leave it on Roak?"

"That's Mrs. And my ship is on autopilot back to En II. It'll be fine without me."

"Woe is me, to have a girl I thought was pretty and talked to for a few minutes die...truly, none have experienced such sorrow..."

"Me too. I wish we could have said a proper goodbye to her..."

"Sarah! We'll be back someday!"

"Until we meet again, Miss Sarah."

Now Playing - Walking on Air

Naturally, there was no way we were leaving a party member behind.

"Wait a second, Sarah! What are you doing on the Calnus!?"

"I'm pretty sure I never said "goodbye," right? All I said at the Purgatorium was "See you later.""

"I...I guess you did..."

"I went and talked to Miss Eleyna, so, umm, it's later now, isn't it?"

"Sarah! We're all back together!"

"What do you think, Edge?"

"It would indeed mean a considerable loss of time."

Now Playing - Cosmic Voyagers (Spring Wind Mix)

"To tell you the truth, there was a
dream I used to have a lot, long before I met all of you. In my dream, I saw Mr. Asmodeus destroy Roak. When I told Miss Eleyna about it, she said she had received an augury about the same thing. She said that people would arrive from beyond the star ocean and protect Roak."

"So...can I ask if you would please take me with you? When I'm with you all, I feel like I can fly."

"But I feel like my time on Roak has healed me just a bit. It's thanks to my friends, Miss Eleyna...and you, Sarah. It's thanks to you as well."

"Of course it is. After all, we're friends too, aren't we?"

"...Yeah. We are. Thanks a lot, Sarah."

"Oh no, thank you."

Lymle, Meracle and Sarah start having an unsubtitled discussion.

"Pfft, so Sarah lives, but my precious girl I never even asked the name of is dead, leaving a gaping hole in my heart..."

Faize's eyes fade back to normal quickly.

The Calnus zips off into space, Sarah officially joins the crew, the scene ends.

Anyway, this is where this update ends.

Join me next time, where the game subjects us to every kind of Meracle cringe it can.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 9, 2023

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I just noticed that these people from underdeveloped planets living in the dark ages are strangely chill about getting on advanced technological spacecrafts and going to other worlds like it's just a casual stroll and not say, a life changing experience.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The ship was cloaked. How did Sarah find it?

There was a money-making method by having thieves steal your money and you kill them before they run off, provided you have a bar full of money+ bonuses, your reward is added up and given a multiplier. The more money you have, means they steal more of it, so you get more back. I kept it up until they kept running away and wouldn't steal any more. I believe there was a money title for having so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Having wings on a cramped spaceship must suck. How are you even going to strap in during high acceleration?

also lmao, is there even any point to beating the poo poo out of your fellow party members in the arena? Unique rewards or anything? A better-designed game would've had them pop up as mid-bosses at various stages of the arena ranking climb, perhaps have some fun and unique dialogue attached, maybe have them all gang up on you once you reached the rank of arena champion or something.

Shitenshi posted:

I just noticed that these people from underdeveloped planets living in the dark ages are strangely chill about getting on advanced technological spacecrafts and going to other worlds like it's just a casual stroll and not say, a life changing experience.

To be fair after you just dealt with the near-end of the world at the hand of a bunch of demon cultists that almost turned everyone in the world to stone, I imagine that a lot of poo poo just bounces off. You walk in there and you see Welch and you're like "ah yes I see you guys are just worshipping a different demon lord, one that kills less people."