Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

This but instead of happy/sad they're frustrated/angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Good av material imho

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's called a Magna Doodle and don't you dare accept any substitutes.

Oh that looks extremely familiar, and you're quite right.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
In an update for the long post I made about my wife quitting and thus screwing over a company after they mistreated her, they offered to double her salary while taking away some responsibilities and halfing how much she has to work. She still said no.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

In an update for the long post I made about my wife quitting and thus screwing over a company after they mistreated her, they offered to double her salary while taking away some responsibilities and halfing how much she has to work. She still said no.

I wonder if learning has taken place there. They're still bargaining like they held all the cards

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

B-Rock452 posted:

Would she go back for any amount??

I have certainly had jobs where I would not go back, no matter the salary on offer

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Xlorp posted:

They're still bargaining like they held all the cards

There's your answer. If they're still acting like they have all the cards, they haven't learned anything yet.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Chewbecca posted:

Would she go back for any amount??

I have certainly had jobs where I would not go back, no matter the salary on offer

Well this morning she told our oldest she was going to be spending more time at home and they would hang out more and she got super happy and started hugging her so yeah probably not going back regardless.

She is really really burnt up and rightfully so about getting berated for not bringing up her cancer story during the investment pitch because it was clear to her then what they thought of her

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chewbecca posted:

:hmmyes:

I really wish I did get an offer from my previous job to come back though, just to laugh in their faces

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

tinytort posted:

There's your answer. If they're still acting like they have all the cards, they haven't learned anything yet.

All they have learned is that nobody wants to work anymore

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Well this morning she told our oldest she was going to be spending more time at home and they would hang out more and she got super happy and started hugging her so yeah probably not going back regardless.

She is really really burnt up and rightfully so about getting berated for not bringing up her cancer story during the investment pitch because it was clear to her then what they thought of her

Your wife sounds like she worked in an alternate universe version of Sick Note

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

I really wish I did get an offer from my previous job to come back though, just to laugh in their faces

I have taken great joy in blocking people on linkedin that caused me work stress. It's only a small thing but it feels vindicating somehow. And I love not #having #to #see #pointlesshashtags #communication

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scientastic posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, this is the worst. We are making record profits, but morale is really low, and leadership keep having meetings to find out why. I felt like everyone else in the meeting was insane, they kept going on about time management and task prioritisation, and they looked at me like I’d just shat on the table when I said “backfill all the vacant roles”

When this happens, it's a sign they don't WANT to fix the problem. You said it yourself: the company is making record profits. But they need to go through the motions (and document it) to minimize blowback when the chickens come home to roost. And potentially to not feel like monsters.

You basically pointed out that the emperor is naked in a room full of invisible clothing salespeople.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol CNN's running a story right now about the CEO of the company that owns Herman Miller pulling that poo poo. https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/business/millerknoll-ceo-bonus-pity-city/index.html

TL;DR she told workers who were worried about not getting their bonuses to instead focus on sales goals the company needs to stay afloat and get out of "Pity City" which is her weird way of sayings top self-pitying and get back to work.

Money shot (literally):

Yeah. Josh Funk covered this one and looked up her salary history. She actually got a bunch of raises over the pandemic, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kE_14tWdMI

It’s nice that people/news outlets are starting to point out the hypocrisy of people with plenty of money (food, housing, and medical security) berating employees for being concerned about money.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Manager sent out kegs that had mold on them. Good job!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Was it artisanal mold? You could be starting a tend here

Don't some brewers proudly sell beer brewed from their own pubes or some poo poo

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Escape From Noise posted:

Manager sent out kegs that had mold on them. Good job!

Blue cheese beer, get on it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

Blue cheese beer, get on it.

As soon as I'm back. I'm on vacation for another week.

P. S. Was America always this weird?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

As soon as I'm back. I'm on vacation for another week.

P. S. Was America always this weird?

It got weirder around 2016, and then again in 2020.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

mllaneza posted:

It got weirder around 2016, and then again in 2020.

Last time I was back was 2019. But woah.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Last time I was back was 2019. But woah.

Yeah, it sort of...marinated in the weird, during the pandemic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ben shapino posted:

All they have learned is that nobody wants to work anymore

https://twitter.com/ScottSeiss/status/1563519442667315200

Proud member of the TRC Technically Robbing Crew :patriot:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All this talk about e-stops made me remember the water based ride I worked at Disney World where if you ran a magnet along the door sensor on one of the two cast member entrances, it would trip an e-stop alert in the tower, and if someone did the magnet trick while that e-stop button was pushed the entire building would lose power for some reason, meaning a full evacuation and maintenance crawlthrough, most likely shutting it down for the day and severely loving up the Metrics. It was a tightly guarded secret passed down from one overworked wage slave to another, only to be used in the direst of situations because it would mean a heavy managerial presence over the next weeks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I spent a good three hours at work today, working on a side hustle.

Managed expectations when I started and have delivered on every deadline that's been within my control. I'm ahead of the project plan / schedule so I'm gonna take my time now.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

I got one of those, and when I made a polite refusal the dept. director did a sigh and said "yeah I wouldn't either" and he quit a few weeks later.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
After some equipment has been sitting around for months, boss has decided now is a good time to get a system working that has never worked before. Because a customer is coming to pick it up Monday.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

cynic posted:

I got one of those, and when I made a polite refusal the dept. director did a sigh and said "yeah I wouldn't either" and he quit a few weeks later.

Lol

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

The Husband's company is having the ISO audit this week. In a fun twist, they had the external audit at the beginning of the week. The internal audit happens at the end.

I love that they'll find out if they're still certified before they hear what they are doing wrong. That just feels so...engineery.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
In continuing the saga of my wife quitting after getting yelled at for not talking about her cancer at a meeting with investors, head of billing just left as well. Several other executives are talking about leaving and the CEO has left multiple messages begging my wife to meet with her and even offered to fly her down to Miami to meet

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

B-Rock452 posted:

In continuing the saga of my wife quitting after getting yelled at for not talking about her cancer at a meeting with investors, head of billing just left as well. Several other executives are talking about leaving and the CEO has left multiple messages begging my wife to meet with her and even offered to fly her down to Miami to meet

This sounds pretty generous. I'm sure they understand if she's feeling a little fragile right now and could they please also bring her spouse for emotional support?

Take the free holiday and run up a tab on the company dime.

And then tell them to gently caress off.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Chewbecca posted:

I have taken great joy in blocking people on linkedin that caused me work stress. It's only a small thing but it feels vindicating somehow. And I love not #having #to #see #pointlesshashtags #communication

I just wanna say I'm glad someone else does this. It's so petty and they don't know or care but it feels so good to get them out of my little sphere forever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Takes No Damage posted:

Proud member of the TRC Technically Robbing Crew :patriot:

reporting in, I'm about to do some dishes then run to the pet store lol

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

Might as well take them up on this to get a free trip. Have your wife sit down and think about what absurd level of money it would take to get her to go back 10x pay, 20x pay, whatever. Then double it as an initial offer so that she can back off a bit to seem reasonable, or don’t.

Worst case you get a free trip to Miami. Best case your wife delays her future plans for 6 months to make bank and then bails when the company falls apart then. So don’t accept stock options or any deferred stuff. Straight up salary money should be the core.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Orvin posted:

Might as well take them up on this to get a free trip. Have your wife sit down and think about what absurd level of money it would take to get her to go back 10x pay, 20x pay, whatever. Then double it as an initial offer so that she can back off a bit to seem reasonable, or don’t.

Worst case you get a free trip to Miami. Best case your wife delays her future plans for 6 months to make bank and then bails when the company falls apart then. So don’t accept stock options or any deferred stuff. Straight up salary money should be the core.

It's also a good opportunity to not only bend them over the barrel for title and compensation, but also make it extremely clear that her hours per week are limited. You mentioned she wants to spend more time with your kid? Great, have her do that. If they're in bad enough panic mode you might be able to get her working half the hours of the job she's looking at now for similar or greater pay, plus a good title to springboard to future stuff when the kid is older and needs less focus and care. Or not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I just wanna say I'm glad someone else does this. It's so petty and they don't know or care but it feels so good to get them out of my little sphere forever.

LinkedIn has gotten so FaceBook-y that I'm giving it the FaceBook treatment: I still have a page as a basic landing pad if people are looking for me, but gently caress browsing it and double gently caress posting anything.

There's a whole conversation to be had about whether it's good, bad, or indifferent that people feel comfortable to share stuff like mental health struggles with coworkers, how career spaces should be less formal and less gate-keepy, etc. But the reality of the matter is that you're putting that poo poo out there for your coworkers, your current boss, and your future bosses to see which just means you're giving potentially lovely people in positions of power over you ammo to use against you.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Another cut to staffing while we're already at a skeleton crew that couldn't keep up as it was.

God I wish any applications or interviews would go anywhere already. Tired of being stuck.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Make the CEO come to you to beg. Then tell them to gently caress off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarxCarl posted:

Make the CEO come to you to beg. Then tell them to gently caress off.

This is cathartic and all, but if they truly have the company realizing they hosed up big it could be a unique opportunity to get a really sweet deal, in writing, that remedies a lot of the old problems.

I'm not saying they should, and if the bosses are toxic enough no amount of compensation or low weekly hours can make it worth while, but it's always worth sitting down and thinking about what, exactly, it would take for you to work with a company.

edit: and again, it's not all compensation. Schedule, title, and responsibilities are huge. Having a company backed into a corner like this is how you can get a really nice resume bump that can lead to better things in the future, even an entire new career pathway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

LinkedIn has gotten so FaceBook-y that I'm giving it the FaceBook treatment: I still have a page as a basic landing pad if people are looking for me, but gently caress browsing it and double gently caress posting anything.

There's a whole conversation to be had about whether it's good, bad, or indifferent that people feel comfortable to share stuff like mental health struggles with coworkers, how career spaces should be less formal and less gate-keepy, etc. But the reality of the matter is that you're putting that poo poo out there for your coworkers, your current boss, and your future bosses to see which just means you're giving potentially lovely people in positions of power over you ammo to use against you.

Yeah I never understood seeing people posting on it like it was social media. Why the gently caress do you think anyone wants to read your blog post that relates to work!? :psyduck:

I log onto it to update my resume, maybe press a few easy connect with people buttons then log off until the next time I'm job hunting. Honestly I might just let it rot, it's never helped me one iota in my career..