Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Overhyped yet very underwhelming? Well, that's just the Dead Island brand for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CuddleCryptid posted:

Overhyped yet very underwhelming? Well, that's just the Dead Island brand for you.

Yeah, that's fair. DI2 isn't a Eurojank mess like the original, or even much of a mess at all, but it definitely feels like a nine-year-old game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I never actually finished the original Dead Island but tbh the line "... I can't hate any game that lets me dropkick a zombie into a power line." does a lot of work on selling me on DI2. Will def keep it on the radar for a co-op game with my bud.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Meowywitch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruQlZBeZyw

Man the 00's era of dog-pal survival horror games ruled???

I've never played Haunting Ground here but this character acts so bizarre and inhuman that it manages to unnerve me even tho this game is like 20 years old now?

Maybe I should play it.

Haunting Ground owns.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I feel like Dying Light just does everything Dead Island does but better since it has all the same mechanics + parkour

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Every video game should have a grappling hook

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel like Dying Light just does everything Dead Island does but better since it has all the same mechanics + parkour

Because it totally does, Dying Light is hella fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, at least Dead Island 2 came out, that's more than I expected honestly.

I only played to the jungle in the original Dead Island. I should probably pick up Dying Light at some point, but I have to admit I was always looking forward to Hellraid more than Dying Light.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Was the first Dead Island even any good? All I remember is that one artsy/emotional trailer coming out, and then people complaining that the game wasn't actually like it at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Was the first Dead Island even any good? All I remember is that one artsy/emotional trailer coming out, and then people complaining that the game wasn't actually like it at all.

No, it was not very good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I recall the general consensus being that the first section of the game (the resort) was great, but severely diminished in quality in part 2 (a city, I think)?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dying Light was basically "what if Dead Island was good".

The map was small, weapons broke if you leaned on them, combat was clunky, and it was boring overall. Also, in a game about resource management and melee attacks they made four classes for characters, two of which were throwing weapons and firearms specialities. So half the human enemies in the later part of the game had guns but when you picked them up they sucked in your hands unless you picked the gun girl.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Dead Island is a fun with friends game, which is a pretty backhanded compliment. But you could get into a truck and run over zombies so that was fun. If only Dead Rising hadn’t come out five years before.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Isn't Dead Island the game where your character's dialogue started shaky and weak but got more confident later in the game, unless you went back to the starting area where it reverted back to weak?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Dead Island is a fun with friends game, which is a pretty backhanded compliment. But you could get into a truck and run over zombies so that was fun. If only Dead Rising hadn’t come out five years before.

Yeah, that's pretty much the DI vibe in a nutshell. It's a co-op zombie-smashing arena that falls directly on its rear end in solo play.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Kragger and I are the only people that like Dead Island. I've got over 120 hours in it, and another 50 in Riptide. It really clicked for me and I loved every minute of it. Most of that was played solo, I'd say.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

No, I cleared both DI and Riptide back in the day. As a big zombie nerd, they kind of hit me where I live.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Islands goofy tone is fine but also always made it way less appealing to me. Dying Light getting a little more serious with it went a long ways.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, Dead Island isn't good but it also isn't bad. It has some great bits, it has some bad bits, and it sorta settles down in the "fine, but will only think of it when reminded it exists" level.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember enjoying the beach and resort part but making a large part of the shanty town levels focused in sewers was definitely a choice. I did not care for the jungle at all

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I played through Dead Island recently. It was not very good. The first area is a resort, which was fun. The second was a city, which was not fun and went forever. The third was a jungle with buildings, which was pretty terrible. And the fourth is a prison that was mercifully short. The weapon upgrades felt like they were all the same, quest tracking in multiplayer was weird, the writing was terrible, the final boss a joke (a slightly big guy that we just surrounded and wailed on for all of ten seconds before he died).

Really the whole game should've been in the resort.

There are driving mechanics, which you pretty much never use after the first chapter because the city is too cramped and the jungle doesn't have a lot of roads. And one of the cars has a sun visor that inexplicably covers half your vision.

Oh and talking about the character skills, yeah there is one that is a gun person except they only have a couple skills related to guns but do have a skill that multiplies the XP earned from kills, ensuring they'll soon outlevel everyone else in the game. Especially the person that doesn't get any XP bonus skills at all.

Just a wildly designed game all around.

Like, there are collectibles that are ID cards, 100 of them to find. They are all uniquely numbered so that when you pick them up it'll say 'ID #38' or whatever. Except if you look in your inventory it will just say that you've collected, for example, 23/100 id cards. loving why?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Dying Light was basically "what if Dead Island was good".

The map was small, weapons broke if you leaned on them, combat was clunky, and it was boring overall. Also, in a game about resource management and melee attacks they made four classes for characters, two of which were throwing weapons and firearms specialities. So half the human enemies in the later part of the game had guns but when you picked them up they sucked in your hands unless you picked the gun girl.

To be fair, all human enemies will die instantly to headshots barring I think like one or two exceptions, and the pistol was very accurate. It's using guns on zombies that was kind of a waste of time, or it felt like that to me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

My favorite fact about Dead Island is that you can just change values in a text file to give yourself infinite ammo and I don't think online checked it

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Back when I played the remastered version on PS4, someone random online handed over a modded assault rifle, so I think if you can bother with the effort, the game doesn't give a poo poo. It's just save file editing that I think the game does not tolerate at all, or at least that's from what I can remember of the original version.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

never forget Dead Island 1 opened with this goofy rear end track, my partner got it for the 360 and I was hanging out watching him start it up and when it got to WHO DO YOU VOODOO BITCH we loving lost it

we still say that to each other to this day, truly the most memorable part of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzEJ5OJZbmc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best hilariously stupid intro track that always stuck with me was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

They took it out of the remaster and it was blasphemy.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

Lack of parkour is a plus to me, tbh. My biggest memory of DL was in some early mission when the objective marker was inside a locked house. And walking in circles around that house, head tilted back, trying to suss out the scripted way the developers intended for you to get in. Just give me DI, thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zombies are already so not scary that I have trouble enjoying things that just go into full on joke mode with it. Doing zombies at all is already inherently lazy, so at least try and sell me on it being horror and maybe I'll sort buy it. but if you constantly try to wink and nod at me about how stupid your own game is I'm going to be inclined to agree that it's stupid.

Dying Light isn't amazing but at least it feels like more than some self deprecating joke.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

just remembered dead island promoted the dlc by offering a headless and limbless big tiddy torso which was very much an artifact of its time

:nws: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5Vi_U0YKCTp0raxxkpDCUSAjJMo=/68x0:1031x642/1820x1213/filters:focal(68x0:1031x642):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6591657/torso-zb_uk.0.jpg

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A friend of mine has that proudly displayed as a "mistake that should never be forgotten" and tbh I agree. It's really funny.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

just remembered dead island promoted the dlc by offering a headless and limbless big tiddy torso which was very much an artifact of its time

:nws: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5Vi_U0YKCTp0raxxkpDCUSAjJMo=/68x0:1031x642/1820x1213/filters:focal(68x0:1031x642):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6591657/torso-zb_uk.0.jpg

The link is broken but also I actually remember that now lmao. What a wild promotion.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Zombies are already so not scary that I have trouble enjoying things that just go into full on joke mode with it. Doing zombies at all is already inherently lazy, so at least try and sell me on it being horror and maybe I'll sort buy it. but if you constantly try to wink and nod at me about how stupid your own game is I'm going to be inclined to agree that it's stupid.

Dying Light isn't amazing but at least it feels like more than some self deprecating joke.

The whole thing with zombies is that it's the fear of infection that form the basis of their horror. But if you're, say, a video game protagonist you can't get a scratch from one and then die. Project Zomboif did this well, but you can't exactly have Leon Kennedy dying from one bite.

Then you have Dead Island which, like you said, is just a gorefest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This owned because it was such a stupid idea and because it pissed off a bunch of people.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

sigher posted:

This owned because it was such a stupid idea and because it pissed off a bunch of people.

why is it funny that it pissed off a bunch of people, sigher?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The link isn’t working please help

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Consummate Professional posted:

The link isn’t working please help

I've sent you a link to my personal collection.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Meowywitch posted:

why is it funny that it pissed off a bunch of people, sigher?

Because it takes the same amount of effort to laugh at the tiddy statue as it is to laugh at the people mad that a tiddy statue exists, Meow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Read After Burning posted:

My partner just discovered Dredge and I think I'm going to have to force him off the PC so we can watch Succession tonight... :kiddo:

Don't worry, it's a very short game

I had fun I think, but man if I'd paid the £22 (someone bought it me as a gift) I'd be really miffed that it was so short and so VERY front loaded. I feel like they have an idea but didn't really know how to expand on what they'd made.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah, like I quite enjoyed the game but the narrative structure is pretty weak once you leave the town. I think it would've been a lot stronger if returning to the town for ship upgrades or advancing quests/plots or something was more prominent, rather than just having you go from biome to biome without really worrying about the main town. The game introduces you to a bunch of notable characters in this place and then you leave and only ever encounter one-shot characters from then on, which felt weaker.

I think the fishing and exploration still keeps the game going strong (at least, for me - I loved going around islands to find points of interest, filling out my encyclopedia, etc) but the rest could've been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

ok here's a working link you pervs lol :nws: :nms: maybe?

https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp58ac80c46b1606.81947723/Dead-Island-Riptide-video-game-Zombie-Baite-Torso-Bust-5.jpg