Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

The local arcade uses a card you load a balance onto, which to its credit, is way more reliable and accessible than requiring coins.

But instead of just saying 'your card has $20 on it, this game is $2', it's got a convoluted point system 100% intended to make you not do the mental math on how much you're actually spending.

I just wanna play video games

The last arcade I went to had cards and no bullshit points system but you could only add credit in increments of $7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Reminds me of how a lot of online services used to (some still do?) work where you could only load up your account in, say, increments of $5 but no purchase would ever be divisible by $5, so you always had unused amounts.

Bioware points :argh:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Brawnfire posted:

There's been this non-stop high-pitched whine in my neighborhood and I can't figure out where it is or what to do about it. It's like an emergency test signal is just on somewhere. I know it's been going since it was cold out, but now with the windows open I can hear it inside.

It sucks major rear end

The hum.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
People pulling the "But they're your FAMILY" nonsense
I know, doesn't mean I have to spend any time/effort/etc. on them when they're a piece of poo poo and I have long since told you my feelings
"But FAMILY~"
:bang:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

There's been this non-stop high-pitched whine in my neighborhood and I can't figure out where it is or what to do about it. It's like an emergency test signal is just on somewhere. I know it's been going since it was cold out, but now with the windows open I can hear it inside.

It sucks major rear end

The earth is crying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1FOY5Vhi8

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sound like a tuba

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Wtf

Brawnfire posted:

Sound like a tuba

:emptyquote:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

At an industry symposium and have two of them

A. Why the gently caress is this hotel so cold? The minute it gets above 70 out every business in the city cranks their AC to maximum power. I'm taking walks after every other talk just to warm up

B. Don't stand in the loving presentation room if you're just going to talk to your friend the whole time. How these people have the balls to clap at the end of a talk I don't know! What are they even clapping for, it's not like they were listening.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Not sure why the truck that empties the dumpsters across the street feels compelled to try to dislodge a sticker from the bottom using only the force of the truck, or whatever the gently caress he's doing

One time I saw several guys standing around watching this dude shake the dumpster back and forth, trying to shake loose a single plastic bag that was dangling. Meanwhile, it's filling a residential neighborhood with the sound of Transformers fighting. Either grab a long stick or just let it loving go, man.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The first day that it's nice enough outside to open the windows, and every motherfucker with a lawnmower or a leaf blower is out there all loving day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People hunger at the chance to make noise. It's really hard to get something to truly carry when the windows are all closed. Now's your chance to make everyone hear your activities. If you've got a massive chain in your pick-up truck bed, why not drag it around a bit? Any arrhythmic hammering you've been meaning to do? Perhaps an unlikely number of boards to cut with a huge power saw?

If you're too busy or at work, you can always get giant dogs that think every human being on the block is an intruding murderapist and they'll take on the brunt of noisemaking for you

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
As if the dogs and leaf blower dipshits weren't enough, several of my neighbors have installed fake home security systems with a motion sensor and speaker that screams "YOU ARE BEING RECORDED" at any activity as minor as a bird taking a poo poo 50 meters away. So now I get to listen to those going off at least once a minute, 24/7.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dip Viscous posted:

As if the dogs and leaf blower dipshits weren't enough, several of my neighbors have installed fake home security systems with a motion sensor and speaker that screams "YOU ARE BEING RECORDED" at any activity as minor as a bird taking a poo poo 50 meters away. So now I get to listen to those going off at least once a minute, 24/7.

My neighbor two doors down had one of these, but it was a blaring siren. Thank God he moved.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

Holy poo poo, really?

That reminds me of someone who had a car near my house when I was a teenager. It had an alarm that was a woman's voice saying "help! Help! Please, help! Help! Help! Please, help!" Over and over. Comically loud, electronic-sounding, like an anguished Alexa wandered into the street imploring passers-by for assistance.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also who are these chucklefucks who find themselves pulling onto a street lined with houses and children playing in the yards, and think "ah, must be the freeway"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When banks and companies send out incredibly loving generic warnings so that you're forced to log in on their site to see what the deal is.
Bank: We have an important message for you in your inbox!
What, did I forget a payment or something?

Important message: We're changing one of our account numbers, this only matters for you if you have a fixed regular transfer set up, if you use electronic billing you'll get the correct one automatically.

When there's no confidential info or anything, just send it out in the notification email you already sent me, loving hell.
Few things fill me with more dread than economic institutions sending out messages about 'important information'.
So much poo poo nowadays feels like it's designed around gating info just to force a couple extra logins and bump up their analytics.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SubNat posted:

When banks and companies send out incredibly loving generic warnings so that you're forced to log in on their site to see what the deal is.

Important message: We're changing one of our account numbers, this only matters for you if you have a fixed regular transfer set up, if you use electronic billing you'll get the correct one automatically.

When there's no confidential info or anything, just send it out in the notification email you already sent me, loving hell.
Few things fill me with more dread than economic institutions sending out messages about 'important information'.
So much poo poo nowadays feels like it's designed around gating info just to force a couple extra logins and bump up their analytics.

https://twitter.com/steph_mcca/status/1466840223686430724?s=20

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My next door neighbour is a Spurs fan, and whenever they play I can hear him screaming and roaring through the walls, while his wife cleans and tidies around him and his kids play outside.

I love football too, but being such a huge obnoxious man baby about it is really pathetic, and must set a terrible example to his children.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Top tier trolling, friend. Great job.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

SubNat posted:

When there's no confidential info or anything, just send it out in the notification email you already sent me, loving hell. Off get

The government services website here adds a level to this. All items in the inbox are PDFs of physical letters so you have to download it to get to read the pointless drivel.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Brawnfire posted:

It sucks major rear end

I used to live in a neighborhood that was all rental duplexes and this was always the low battery alert in the smoke alarm of an empty unit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Our working theory is an alarmed security door on the highschool that someone keeps busting through.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

All this time I thought the title was “The Portrait of Dorian Grey”

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

But I was wrong!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Twice!!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Perfect Element posted:

My next door neighbour is a Spurs fan, and whenever they play I can hear him screaming and roaring through the walls, while his wife cleans and tidies around him and his kids play outside.

I love football too, but being such a huge obnoxious man baby about it is really pathetic, and must set a terrible example to his children.

oldpainless posted:

Top tier trolling, friend. Great job.
Tottenham, maybe.

A while back I could hear a rhythmic slapping sound coming from a roommate's room and I was like "okay whatever I'm not going to judge how you jerk it." Then he stopped and I could hear the baseball game he was clapping to. Alone. Like a psychopath.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

SubNat posted:

Had my bank do this to me a few weeks ago.
"URGENT message waiting in your account inbox! Please read immediately!"
...it was confirmation they had received a piece of paperwork I had sent them

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
It peeves me that I can throw my back out by... sitting at my desk. A thing I do, and have done, every day without incident for years.

Aging. Aging is my pet peeve.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Love 2 lay on the floor until it sort of feels 98% better.

A foam roller has become my best friend. loving lumbar's jacked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
how does one cat take up more room on a bed than two people and a dog

howwww

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

how does one cat take up more room on a bed than two people and a dog

howwww

Because cats fuckin rule thats how.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Brawnfire posted:

Love 2 lay on the floor until it sort of feels 98% better.

A foam roller has become my best friend. loving lumbar's jacked.

Yeah the plan is to retrieve my roller from the garage as soon as I can move further than bed-toilet-bed.

The week had started off so well, too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The tendency of many modern TV shows (especially sci-fi but others probably do it as well) that feel the need to provide badly written over-explanations of everything.

For example: It's not enough to say that budgeting explains the discrepancies between OG Star Trek Klingons and more modern ones; instead, let's write :words: about Augments and double secret probation diseases that magically changed Klingon's appearances for reasons! When they're not doing that, they're making Section 31 the cause of everything vaguely mysterious in Star Trek history.

I know it's probably not just Star Trek either; the sequel trilogy of Star Wars has this same tendency and it robs franchises of their mystique. Writers who do this are not nearly as clever as they seem to think they are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a studio mandate because the people who run studios and give money think the audience are idiots because they themselves are idiots.

If you ever hear what it’s like to talk to a studio exec it’s baffling. They’re all dim as hell, and have not a creative bone in their entire body but yet they dictate our entertainment

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It's nice to have something that helps explain the science, if it's super simple. I always thought of "inertia dampeners" from Star Trek as being a perfect way of explaining something. Inertia dampener, sure, my brain can figure out what that means, and I don't need any more explanation than that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The reason I'll never watch 2010: The Year We Made Contact is that it spoils everything beautiful about 2001 by explaining away a lot of its mysteries. 2001 is not everyone's cup of tea but it's one of my favorites in part because it's so enigmatic.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Studio execs correctly assume everyone is as dumb as they are.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Prime Video gives you literally three or four seconds after an episode of something ends before it auto plays the next one. Even if you want to keep on watching, that's still weirdly rushed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

Prime Video gives you literally three or four seconds after an episode of something ends before it auto plays the next one. Even if you want to keep on watching, that's still weirdly rushed.

Except for when it randomly has a 20 second countdown, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Customer service workers who tell you they’ll be happy to solve your problem when you call and 45 minutes later not only have they not solved your problem they’ve actually created more