Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Artonos posted:

He just wants to do migrant detention facilities except the homeless. Everyone here is putting more thought into it than he has.

This also opens the door to putting other types of people republicans dont like into detention facilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Randalor posted:

The idea of setting up a place for homeless people to get a chance to safely give them a chance to grapple with their addictions and get them under control, get back on their feet and give them a fresh start in life isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Yeah but you'd want actual houses or apartments. Or at the very least shelters or treatment facilities. Putting them in a tent city is a terrible idea (and not actually an improvement, given it's how most of them are living now).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Meatball posted:

This also opens the door to putting other types of people republicans dont like into detention facilities.

That door has been open for a long time already. Prisons have been around for quite a while by now.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ryde posted:

Yeah but you'd want actual houses or apartments. Or at the very least shelters or treatment facilities. Putting them in a tent city is a terrible idea (and not actually an improvement, given it's how most of them are living now).

Yah I mean the solution is to build more housing everywhere basically.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Correct, also Democrats won't either. The only solution acceptable in mainstream politics is a combination of slavery and extermination camps.

Do you have examples of when those solutions have been implemented, or proposed with mainstream acceptance?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

"Six Attributed to clutter" makes me think this means someone got gunk on the radar screen

This reminds me of the discovery of Cosmic Background Radiation.

"you either discovered the CBR or discovered the effects of bird crap "

I think they got a nobel for bird crap.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ryde posted:

Oh no doubt. At best a tent city would be a stopgap until a more permanent facility is built. I was just saying that the concept of the government doing literally anything to actually help the homeless isn't a bad idea, but considering this is Trump of all people proposing it, it's just as likely he saw a source of cheap meat labour.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Randalor posted:

Oh no doubt. At best a tent city would be a stopgap until a more permanent facility is built. I was just saying that the concept of the government doing literally anything to actually help the homeless isn't a bad idea, but considering this is Trump of all people proposing it, it's just as likely he saw a source of cheap meat labour.

Yep I get what you're saying. Like you, my problem with the proposal is fundamentally that since its Trump you know its a not a stop-gap. They're not trying to help the homeless, just move them out of the way somewhere they don't have to see them. Same problem with tent cities in Seattle and (I'm assuming) San Francisco. I think this also applies to the "tiny house villages" that Seattle tried out as well -- didn't really help people and just kinda moved them out of the way.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes the correct response is to not play the game here

Once you start to capitulate at all things will go south

Plus the House GOP is extremely disorganized and were barely able to elect a speaker in the first place so I have low confidence that they will be able to pass their own bill

Honestly, the funnier thought is what happens if they pass something, minting the coin after McCarthy spends all this air and political capital doing it would be the single funniest thing democrats could do in my lifetime. Someone, somewhere in that administration absolutely has a lever to do this if they think the GOP won’t blink.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Artonos posted:

He just wants to do migrant detention facilities except the homeless. Everyone here is putting more thought into it than he has.

Exactly.

Nothing about his plan other than "jail the homeless" is real.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Koos Group posted:

Do you have examples of when those solutions have been implemented, or proposed with mainstream acceptance?

The camps along the southern border that were an Assault On Human Rights until team blue won, then they became It's Complicated.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Uh... so about the Trump Tent Rehab Cities.

Putting aside what dystopian nightmare he is offering America, isn't this a little too close to Obama's FEMA camps that his supporters are so afraid of?
I occasionally run the book discussion group at the library where I work. There's a regular older fellow- generally pretty liberal in politics, anti-Trump at least- who was talking about the subject of homelessness. "They're not like us. They get angry when you try to help them."

When I informed this person that I have had friends who were homeless and they would have been happy for any assistance, his response was, "Well, of course, people who owned homes who have just fallen on hard times are different. Real homeless people aren't like us." As if anyone I know my age has ever or will ever own a house.

That is to say people are good at dehumanizing homeless people, and, perhaps more importantly, I was obliged by my job to be polite to a horrific old man and haven't gotten over it yet and needed to share.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also I "love" how the language of social justice gets deployed to protect shitheads. "You think someone shouldn't be a senator just because they're so dementia ridden they don't even know where they are?! Wow. Wow. First, ableist. Second, she is a woman, so: sexist. Do better, champ."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Byzantine posted:

Also I "love" how the language of social justice gets deployed to protect shitheads. "You think someone shouldn't be a senator just because they're so dementia ridden they don't even know where they are?! Wow. Wow. First, ableist. Second, she is a woman, so: sexist. Do better, champ."

This kind of stuff is getting weaponzied a *lot* more nowadays and I think it comes down to a lot of people who value being seen as "allies" more than they prefer being right, and everyone knows that fact about them. Just engaging with those topics on a surface level because trying to go deeper means that you might need to separate out people who are having actual issues and people who are trying to use it as a shield, and doing so means if you make a mistake them it's *your* fault. And regressives *know* about that fear and can use it against them.

A question that separates people tends to come down to something like (for example) "if all black experiences are real and valid then how does Candice Owens fit into that"? Most people who are actually involved in social justice can give an actual answer to explain why the things that one example says are not included in that statement. But people who fall prey to the "uhm you're being problematic right now" trap just kind of bluescreen because they are terrified of saying why they believe that X is not valid, because doing so is taking a stand on their own two feet rather than "everything here is perfect and I will ignore anything that isn't".

Now I'm not black but I am queer and I can firmly say that my experience with this can be summarized in the fact that the statement "gay white men are the straight white men of the community" is a terrible thing outside of the community and a pretty widely accepted one inside of it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Smartmatic also has a case against Fox and they are putting out aggressive statements, but I wouldn't read anything in to them beyond attorneys trying to scare the other side into a higher settlement.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1648427447858380800

Don’t you give me false hope. I’ve already had my heart shattered once this week.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

I occasionally run the book discussion group at the library where I work. There's a regular older fellow- generally pretty liberal in politics, anti-Trump at least- who was talking about the subject of homelessness. "They're not like us. They get angry when you try to help them."

A very good chance that his understanding of "trying to help" is some bullshit that falls apart as wrong within a maximum of 2 seconds of thought. For instance, giving an offer for this person to come with you,a complete stranger, to an unknown location and do some physical labor in exchange for a meal/a couple bucks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Robert F. Kennedy Junior officially launched his campaign for the 2024 Democratic primary today.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1648736250231128065

He's mostly famous for being an anti-vax activist, but he released his entire platform today as well.

He is going for some... interesting imagery and word choice for his campaign.

I think this may be the first presidential campaign announcement to include the phrase "Few relish the thought of dead fetuses."

quote:

America is more polarized and divided now than at any time in living memory. Both sides seem to agree that the basic problem is the horrible people on the other side. Both sides are wrong. The basic problem is the division itself. A divided public lacks the strength to resist exploitation or to overcome the inertia of the status quo. The classic American can-do spirit exhausts itself in endless battles. So let’s heal the divide.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. has clear positions on most of today’s divisive trigger issues like abortion, guns, and immigration, but he knows that both sides have legitimate concerns and legitimate moral positions. No one is deplorable. Furthermore, most of the disagreements obscure deeper shared values. Everyone wants their children to be safe. Few relish the thought of dead fetuses, nor do they want to force women to have unwanted babies. Everyone wants safe streets, yet few wish for millions of people to languish in prison. Robert F. Kennedy will draw on the broad moral agreements beneath our divisions. He will model careful listening, and create conditions where each group can hear the stories of the other. He will lead the way toward national reconciliation, respectful dialog, and willingness to change, to grow, and to forgive.

In the case of race relations, reconciliation includes repairing the damage caused by centuries of bigotry. Our administration will take racial healing seriously through a program of Targeted Community Repair. Our operating principle is not guilt for the sins of one’s ancestors, but rather compassion. We will invoke the authentic desire in all Americans, white and black, liberal and conservative, to improve the condition of our Black and Native brothers and sisters.

These commitments to respect and unity start right now, in the campaign. In Kennedy's own words, “Every nation, like every individual, has a darker side and a lighter side. The easiest thing for a politician to do is to appeal to our greed, to our anger, to our fear, to our xenophobia, our bigotry, all of the alchemies of tribalism. I will appeal instead to our generosity as a people, our goodness, our kindness, and our courage.”

quote:

We will make sure that the Covid-era suspension of the right to assembly, trial by jury, and freedom of worship will never happen again. The same for the right to property. During Covid, 3.4 million business were forced to close. Many of them, including 60% of Black-owned businesses, will never reopen.

A Kennedy administration will respect American citizens and stop treating them like suspects and schoolchildren. We will stop manipulating the public with propaganda and targeted leaks. We will never weaponize the law against political opponents, nor hold our own officials above the law. We will return the intelligence agencies to their proper role as protectors not violators of liberty.

quote:

We will also take special care to ensure the civil liberties of minorities and the poor. We will end the failed War on Drugs and grant amnesty to nonviolent drug offenders. We will shut the school-to-prison pipeline, and transition prisons away from a punishment paradigm to a rehabilitation paradigm. Prisons will be an intervention in a life gone wrong, and a way to prevent offenders from harming others again.

Instead of defunding the police, we will transform the police. We will incentivize them to prevent violence, not make unnecessary arrests. We will train them in deescalation and mediation skills and partner them with neighborhood organizations. No longer will their relationship to the public be adversarial. They will focus their attention on serious crimes, not harassing ordinary people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Robert F. Kennedy Junior officially launched his campaign for the 2024 Democratic primary today.

He's mostly famous for being an anti-vax activist, but he released his entire platform today as well.

I think this may be the first presidential campaign announcement to include the phrase "Few relish the thought of dead fetuses."

Speaking of bullshit social justice terminology.

"We will simply make everyone happy, existing in a quantum state of abortions both freely available and not happening."

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

Speaking of bullshit social justice terminology.

"We will simply make everyone happy, existing in a quantum state of abortions both freely available and not happening."

That just sounds like "abortions for some, miniature american flags for others" run through a politician filter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Abortions for none, miniature American flags for all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's not that far off from "safe, legal, and rare" which, to be clear, is bullshit framing which caves to the right wing framing of abortion as wrong or bad or something to be ashamed off. So it's lovely language but I don't think it's some new weird stance on abortion, it's just the "moderate" one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Most of it is impressively content-less politician speak that somehow doesn't take a side on anything.

But, the part that is most concerning to me is his implication that there are a few Americans who relish the thought of dead fetuses.

The other interesting thing is that he gets into every weird covid bedbug, but never mentions his anti-vax stance, which is the one thing he is famous for. He runs an anti-vaccination foundation that helps parents whose children are the "victims" of being vaccinated too young/often/etc.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Glad there's a candidate for the anti-vaxx Libs and addled 90 year old New Englanders. Surely this will be the chaos agent Steve Bannon is going for that polls 4% with a 5% margin of error on polls for the next year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Most of it is impressively content-less politician speak that somehow doesn't take a side on anything.

But, the part that is most concerning to me is his implication that there are a few Americans who relish the thought of dead fetuses.

The other interesting thing is that he gets into every weird covid bedbug, but never mentions his anti-vax stance, which is the one thing he is famous for. He runs an anti-vaccination foundation that helps parents whose children are the "victims" of being vaccinated too young/often/etc.

It is an absolutely terrible phrase and I can only imagine that he has an extremely incompetent team working for him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It was announced that they were voting on it a few weeks ago, but the Florida State Board of Education has officially expanded the "Don't Say Gay" law to cover kids up through 12th grade.

The original "Don't say Gay" bill was pitched as a common-sense measure that only applied to kids in kindergarten through third grade, but contained a provision that allowed the state board of education to expand it if necessary.

Florida public schools are now banned from teaching anything related to gender identity or sexual orientation in any capacity in "classroom instruction."

In a kind of darkly ironic twist, this won't actually impact sex education in Florida at all because the state already requires all public schools to teach abstinence only and never discuss sexual activity in any form.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1648731406791589889

quote:

Florida bans teaching about gender identity in all public schools

The Florida Board of Education has forbidden the teaching of gender identity and sexuality throughout all grades in K-12 public schools, extending a nearly year-old legislative ban on such lessons from kindergarten through third grade.

The board voted Wednesday to adopt a new rule that says Florida teachers in grades 4 through 12 “shall not intentionally provide classroom instruction … on sexual orientation or gender identity” unless this instruction is required by state academic standards — it is not — or the lessons form “part of a reproductive health course” from which a student’s parent can opt out their child.

Reproductive health lessons are unlikely to mention sexual orientation or gender identity, Florida Chancellor for K-12 Public Schools Paul Burns said at the meeting Wednesday, given that “abstinence is the required expectation of what we teach in our schools” when it comes to health classes.

Teachers who violate the ban could see their teaching licenses suspended or revoked, per the rule.

The rule builds on a law enacted in early 2022, the Parental Rights in Education Act, that outlawed classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in grades K-3 and required that lessons on these issues remain “developmentally appropriate” for older grades.

The board’s passage of the rule drew immediate outrage from LGBTQ advocates and education experts, who slammed the restrictions as likely to chill teachers’ speech, confuse educators about what they are permitted to teach across a wide variety of subjects and cause harm to LGBTQ children.

During public comment before the vote, Joe Saunders, senior political director for Equality Florida, asked the board whether its members believed it would be wrong to teach students in an 11th-grade civics course about the landmark Supreme Court ruling that granted the right to marry to same-sex couples.

“Under the vague new rules, a teacher who taught this would be fired and their career would end,” Saunders said. “This rule is by design a tool for curating fear, anxiety and the erasure of our LGBTQ community.”

But dozens of Floridians, many of them wearing Moms for Liberty T-shirts, shared support during the meeting’s public-comment period, praising it as a common-sense measure that will allow parents to better shape their child’s upbringing when it comes to sensitive societal and cultural issues.

“These decisions should be left at home for parents to decide when and if their children are exposed to this material,” said Ryan Kennedy of the education advocacy group, Florida Citizens Alliance.

The rule will not require legislative approval. The Republican-dominated state legislature is separately considering a bill that would have extended the ban on gender identity and sexual orientation lessons in a narrower way — through eighth grade.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 19, 2023

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Koos Group posted:

Depends on how mainstream that acceptance is, but the “liberal” mayor of Portland is implementing concentration camps tent cities for houseless people at the behest of business interests and over the objections of activists and service providers, and it doesn’t seem that houseless folks will have much choice if they want to go there or not.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

as a note, wheeler is a well known fascist pig alongside his pig department that he loves so much

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That announcement is anything but interesting. It's bog-standard language of compromise and bipartisanship, drawing on the rather overused sentiment of "there's good people on both sides, your political opponents aren't murderous monsters, let's all get along and put aside our disagreements to pass all the stuff both parties do agree on".

Among his mostly empty rhetoric, though, there is one policy he's willing to commit to: government subsidies for alternative medicine.

quote:

Another key aspect of American revitalization is our healthcare system, which consumes nearly one-fifth of GDP. It isn’t just a matter of shifting the burden of who pays. The problem is much deeper. Healthcare spending per capita has increased twelve-fold since 1960. Are we twelve times healthier? Quite the contrary: We face today a terrible pandemic—not of Covid, but of chronic disease. Autoimmunity, allergies, diabetes, obesity, addiction, anxiety, and depression afflict two-thirds of the population, up from a few percent in our grandparents’ time. A Kennedy administration will go beyond making existing modalities available to all, to include low-cost alternative and holistic therapies that have been marginalized in a pharma-dominated system. We will move from a sick care system to a wellness society.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Steve Bannon is behind much of this:

Steve Bannon Encouraged RFK Jr. to Run Against Biden for ‘Months’: Report

quote:

Steve Bannon spent “months” encouraging anti-vaccine poster boy Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to challenge President Biden for the Democratic nomination in the 2024 presidential election, according to a report. CBS News reporter Robert Costa reports that people familiar with the matter said Bannon hoped RFK Jr. could serve as both a “useful chaos agent” in the election while also helpfully stoking “anti-vaccine sentiment around the country.” While Kennedy has yet to formally announce his campaign, he filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission on Wednesday showing he is running as a Democrat. In 2021, the Center for Countering Digital Hate accused Kennedy of playing a leading role in “spreading digital misinformation about Covid vaccines,” and he last year apologized for saying vaccine-hesitant Americans had it worse than Anne Frank, who died in a Nazi concentration camp.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Steve Bannon who has failed at literally every other political op post-2016 and is still chasing the gold-foil-wrapped orange dragon named Trump

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Steve Bannon has finally become Emperor Palpatine just like he told us he would (tossed to his death by evil protege, resurrected in dumb cross-media stunt nobody saw, teams up with loser weirdo who will probably also kill him)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

McCarthy has announced that they have a Republican debt ceiling bill and could vote on it as early as next week.

Primary planks:

- Repeal most of the IRA.

- Life debt ceiling for $1.5 trillion dollars or until 3/31/2024 - whichever comes first.

- Cut domestic spending down to where it was in 2022 and cap the growth in total domestic spending to 1% per year for the next 10 years.

- Void Biden's student loan forgiveness plan (pretty sure this is not necessary and the Supreme Court has them covered here)

- Requiring all unspent pandemic aid by the states to be returned and cancelling the disbursement of any remaining unspent pandemic aid at the federal level.

- Work requirements for SNAP beneficiaries.

- Require faster and more additional oil and gas leasing on federal lands that the federal government has declined to hold auctions for to raise revenue.

- Repealing the EPA's new regulations on requiring utilities to begin removing PFAs from drinking water.

- Reduce maximum TANF benefits without work or community engagement requirements.

- Repeal a pause on leasing federal land for coal mining and increase the number of leases sold.

- A resolution formally proclaiming congressional disapproval for the executive branch withdrawing the permits for the Keystone XL Pipeline (lol)

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1648764581014118402
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1648767062649495582

quote:

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Kevin McCarthy released a debt limit bill Wednesday that he hopes to pass with Republican support, triggering a frantic push to gather the votes in his narrow majority.

“We are introducing the Limit, Save, Grow Act of 2023,” McCarthy, R-Calif., said on the House floor, adding that it would “responsibly raise the debt limit into next year” and save trillions of dollars.

The proposal to avert default would be tied to conservative policies, including cutting federal spending to 2022 levels, limiting growth to 1% per year, repealing enhanced IRS enforcement funding, undoing President Joe Biden's student debt forgiveness and rescinding unspent pandemic relief funds, McCarthy said.

McCarthy told reporters it will lift the debt ceiling by $1.5 trillion or extend it through March 31, 2024, “whichever comes first.” The 320-page bill, published moments after his speech, will be led by House Budget Chair Jodey Arrington, R-Texas, the speaker said.

It's not clear the plan will get the votes to pass the House. It is the biggest test for McCarthy since his long battle to become speaker.

Republicans have a narrow majority and can afford only four defections before the legislation collapses, with Democrats expected to vote against it en masse. McCarthy said he hopes to put the bill to a House vote next week and expressed confidence it will pass.

“We’re going to work through it, but yeah, we’re going to get there,” he said. “I never give up. We’ll get them.”

McCarthy’s move represents an attempt to pressure Biden to make policy concessions in order to avert a calamitous debt default as early as June. Biden has refused to negotiate and said Congress should allow the U.S. to pay its bills without conditions, a position McCarthy has blasted as irresponsible.

Even if McCarthy’s bill were to pass the House, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has said it’s dead on arrival in the Democratic-controlled chamber, telling reporters on Tuesday that a “clean debt ceiling is the way to go.”

But if the House passes a measure, that could raise the pressure on Senate Democrats to craft their own competing bill.

Biden, Schumer and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries spoke by phone Tuesday and the three “agree that we won’t negotiate over default and Republicans should pass a clean bill like they did three times in the previous administration,” the White House said.

A memo Tuesday by Goldman Sachs’ economic research team said the debt limit deadline could come earlier than it had expected.

“While the data are still very preliminary, weak tax collections so far in April suggest an increased probability that the debt limit deadline will be reached in the first half of June,” the memo read. “We have been projecting that Treasury could operate without a debt limit increase until early August.”

The Treasury Department has set a June 5 deadline for Congress to extend the debt limit or risk default for the first time in U.S. history.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

Steve Bannon has finally become Emperor Palpatine just like he told us he would (tossed to his death by evil protege, resurrected in dumb cross-media stunt nobody saw, teams up with loser weirdo who will probably also kill him)

Can't wait for the cottage industry of video essays about how Bannon's granddaughter sucks and is just a mary sue.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Shutdown it is then :tootzzz:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

McCarthy has announced that they have a Republican debt ceiling bill and could vote on it as early as next week.

Primary planks:

- Repeal most of the IRA.

- Life debt ceiling for $1.5 trillion dollars or until 3/31/2024 - whichever comes first.

- Cut domestic spending down to where it was in 2022 and cap the growth in total domestic spending to 1% per year for the next 10 years.

- Void Biden's student loan forgiveness plan (pretty sure this is not necessary and the Supreme Court has them covered here)

- Requiring all unspent pandemic aid by the states to be returned and cancelling the disbursement of any remaining unspent pandemic aid at the federal level.

- Work requirements for SNAP beneficiaries.

- Require faster and more additional oil and gas leasing on federal lands that the federal government has declined to hold auctions for to raise revenue.

- Repealing the EPA's new regulations on requiring utilities to begin removing PFAs from drinking water.

- Reduce maximum TANF benefits without work or community engagement requirements.

- Repeal a pause on leasing federal land for coal mining and increase the number of leases sold.

- A resolution formally proclaiming congressional disapproval for the executive branch withdrawing the permits for the Keystone XL Pipeline (lol)

I hope Biden tells McCarthy to gently caress off forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'll be shocked when "shutter the agency that collects taxes" doesn't get wide bipartisan approval

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mint the loving coin

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the real question is if he can even get that turd passed or if it's as dead as the trees it's printed on

Failed Imagineer posted:

Shutdown it is then :tootzzz:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CuddleCryptid posted:

This kind of stuff is getting weaponzied a *lot* more nowadays and I think it comes down to a lot of people who value being seen as "allies" more than they prefer being right, and everyone knows that fact about them. ...

I'd say it's that, but also people invested more in tribal affiliation than being correct.

My current online un-favorite example is any questioning of unsourced claims of intentional wrongdoing by some group--governments, liberals, communists, Muslims, whatever--being met with "why are you giving _________ the benefit of the doubt?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

the real question is if he can even get that turd passed or if it's as dead as the trees it's printed on

When do they have to pass it by before? Any bets on who will be the ones to vote against it? The "more moderate" Republicans for going too far, or the right-wing extremists who'll sink it out of spite/because they can/to own the libs?