Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
single global menu bar is definitely one of the dumbest things about osx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

agreed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i like the menu bar to the point that when i use linux i also configure one, but i gotta admit i don't miss it on windows

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

Mega agreed

I use better touch tool as well to get windows style move-a-window-to-the-top-and-it-maximizes behaviors

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Q: when will spotlight learn that when I type "fi" i probably mean "firefox," not "finder?"

A: never. it hasn't learned and it never will. You know what did learn? Quicksilver, which apple implemented poorly a dozen or more years ago and then never improved.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

but I do want to be a curmudgeon about this. :colbert:

see this is why i like my old poo poo. i learned it once, 15 years ago and it still works. some rear end in a top hat moved the button on the gui and implemented a million new features, but my stupid old grognard crap still works and i don't have to learn to use whatever the electron app of the moment is

the only real exception is i'll learn to use whatever Real Actual IDE the team/org uses. but for git and all that poo poo? give me the terrible cli that i can learn once rather than the constantly updating wrapper that i have to learn every two weeks

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

see this is why i like my old poo poo. i learned it once, 15 years ago and it still works. some rear end in a top hat moved the button on the gui and implemented a million new features, but my stupid old grognard crap still works and i don't have to learn to use whatever the electron app of the moment is

the only real exception is i'll learn to use whatever Real Actual IDE the team/org uses. but for git and all that poo poo? give me the terrible cli that i can learn once rather than the constantly updating wrapper that i have to learn every two weeks

this. i catch flack about using linux on my desktop, told by others its too much janitoring

thing is, i did all my janitoring up front two decades ago. there are small changes over the years but for the most part I check out a source control repo and run make.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

using googles internal linux distro at work was rad for that reason. somebody else maintained all the vim stuff - ycm, code style conformance, etc - there was a whole team dedicated to the distro, if hardware was fucky it was an IT helpdesk problem, not an achmed problem. that poo poo was dope. all the benefits of linux with almost none of the drawbacks

i did still have to patch and recompile pulseaudio or something to get a non lovely bluetooth audio codec, though, and bt audio never worked right with anything other than the google-provided headset (which tbh was fine but i wanted to use my own stuff). and that's why my work machine at home is a macbook pro

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

see this is why i like my old poo poo. i learned it once, 15 years ago and it still works.

i remember once a long time ago some rear end in a top hat tried to shame me for not wanting to learn new things and he actually sorta managed to do it. Now that I am older and wiser: gently caress that guy. I, like everyone else, am able to support a finite cognitive load. If you want me to spend some of that effort on learning your new bullshit, you will have to make a better case for it other than it ticks a checkbox on some document you signed off on two years ago. You know who you are, Abe. gently caress you.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

rotor posted:

i remember once a long time ago some rear end in a top hat tried to shame me for not wanting to learn new things and he actually sorta managed to do it. Now that I am older and wiser: gently caress that guy. I, like everyone else, am able to support a finite cognitive load. If you want me to spend some of that effort on learning your new bullshit, you will have to make a better case for it other than it ticks a checkbox on some document you signed off on two years ago. You know who you are, Abe. gently caress you.

rotor has the last laugh on Shinzo Abe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
changing poo poo for the sake of change, basically for people to justify their existence, or like updates to justify their existence

are the worst

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pays my salary though

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i appreciate all your postas, and even lol at some of tehm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chloe:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

rotor posted:

see, i appreciate this post. thank u rotor the aged, for casting this wisdom down on us swine. idgaf about rust and i don't care to learn it

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

i use windows literally every day and the user experience is absolutely much worse

same. except macos instead of windows

im just way more used to the ways in which windows is janky

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

most modern laptops ape apple's designs though; not even apple's current designs, poo poo they were doing a decade ago

even the plastic garbage ones are like that, but there are many, many other options. you can find a dell or hp made out of some sort of metal for not that much these days, and often the specs will be better if you don't care about cpu architecture. i don't see any reason to go with a mac over a windows laptop with an oled, for example

and of course if cost were the primary motivator then this isn't even a question. apple gives a better value for the money these days than they used to but most things are still overpriced compared to their competitors. you can save a ton by going with a different manufacturer and the user experience will probably not be much worse

non-apple laptops are only cheaper if you buy based on a bigger number = better than basis

a pile of garbage with lots of ram still stinks no matter how quickly it opens a TIFF

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

yospos has gone from NO gently caress U DAD to ULL UNDERSTAND WHEN UR OLDER

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I'm cheap as hell and even i still buy apple gear for home use. If I needed more power I would build a desktop or go full homelab grognard and repurpose servers.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

git apologist posted:

the funniest part of aging for me is the poo poo that people told me i would regret when i'm older i do not regret at all. i regret a lot of other things nobody warned me about instead.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I regret so much

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I- I pulled the plug on my computer. feel like poo poo right now. I'm trying to think of the good times but i just keep coming back to our final, painful moments together. Her fans were so clogged with dust she could barely breathe. She was struggling to boot and I could hear her hard drive clicking and something just came over me. I just kept saying "its OK" over and over with my hand on the cord until I finally worked up the courage to pull it. watched her RGB fade to black and then... She was gone. Just doesn't feel real man

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

echinopsis posted:

I regret so much

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git apologist posted:

gently caress U WHEN UR OLDER

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ULL UNDERSTAND WHEN U gently caress

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Buck Turgidson posted:

I- I pulled the plug on my computer. feel like poo poo right now. I'm trying to think of the good times but i just keep coming back to our final, painful moments together. Her fans were so clogged with dust she could barely breathe. She was struggling to boot and I could hear her hard drive clicking and something just came over me. I just kept saying "its OK" over and over with my hand on the cord until I finally worked up the courage to pull it. watched her RGB fade to black and then... She was gone. Just doesn't feel real man

It’s now safe to turn off your computer gentle goon :(

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i, too, no longer find joy in working with tech. that said, i'm terrified of being automated out of the job, or being laid off simply by the promise of automation, as my decade+ of computer touching has made me soft.

also, linux is great for personal computing. completely needs suiting. doesn't infantalize, upsell, or stalk me. ty for existing, linux.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
While I'm not excited by tech anymore, I do still like to build things. Like I'm not excited of writing c++ code for the sake of it, but I'm happy if I feel that it helps our game be a good game

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
its fun to work o npersonal projects but i run out of motiviation so fast

my last "successful" personal project was a django app to keep track of my MTG collection. it ended up jsut being an excel spreadsheet but in django

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

I regret so much

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I regret so much

hell i can relate

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i don’t really regret anything, except maybe i wish i had had sex with more and different types of people when i was younger

also there’s a lot of interactions i wish i could redo with my current level of anxiety (low) and self-assurance (high) versus when I was young and a nervous wreck

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i like breaking computers and/or software on purpose just to watch them die

e: where die == kernel oops / bluescreen / abend / data corruption

fresh_cheese fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 20, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
confession : i wanna get hosed up

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

confession supposed to be something we don't already know mang

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

echinopsis posted:

fo twenny

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

echinopsis posted:

way ahead of you

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i wanna be sedated

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
did a full five sets of squats with 2.5lbs extra on one side like an idiot.

thought it felt off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Mr. Crow posted:

did a full five sets of squats with 2.5lbs extra on one side like an idiot.

thought it felt off

one side of your rear end is going to be grossly overdeveloped compared to the other