Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

satanic splash-back posted:

You're only allowed to post in games about games you don't like if the mods agree with your points, it's one of those unwritten rules.

That's why we have a whole thread for disagreeing about videogames here. It's one of the good things.

Nom just never really understood how much the rest of SA just goes frothing mad at GBS-style white noise posting, but yeah every time someone says something like “why do you post about video games in GBS when there’s a whole videogame subforum” I lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

satanic splash-back posted:

You're only allowed to post in games about games you don't like if the mods agree with your points, it's one of those unwritten rules.

That's why we have a whole thread for disagreeing about videogames here. It's one of the good things.

It makes sense considering the amount of fighting that used to happen in games. PYF has a dedicated liking games thread and a dedicated not liking games thread because the liking games thread used to be nothing but people angry somebody likes something they don't. Every video game board and thread manages to serve a different niche.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Seth I have some honest feedback. Firstly I'm going to start by saying I don't think the Ukraine thread should be gassed or ban politics in GBS or whatever but I have like at most a couple dozen posts in the Ukraine thread that are mostly innocuous when I'm not earnestly replying to guys that have mental coping strategies because they fantasize about russian corpses all day. Again I have a fairly low post count and I know for a fact that 2 guys were immediately banned after I quoted them and I'm not saying they wouldn't have been punished or anything but it is emblematic of the threads culture.

I was threadbanned and threatened with a real ban for posting 2 vaguely pro russian tweets, I think commiegir qued a ban for kirbykhan because he posted "Wat is bad" thats nuts. There's litterally no stakes to posting about Ukraine on SA, chill out. No one is even being disruptive breaking tables or spamming images. The thread is insanely hostile to any thought other than total ukraine victory and partition of Russia is not tolerated.

Tl;dr chillout

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I hope China invades Taiwan so mods have to deal with TWO war threads that no one will shut up about at the same time :twisted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

I hope China invades Taiwan so mods have to deal with TWO war threads that no one will shut up about at the same time :twisted:

lusting for death on a completely unprecedented scale. gbs poster Nooner has gone too far this time

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
GBS amiright :smug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Terminal autist posted:

Seth I have some honest feedback. Firstly I'm going to start by saying I don't think the Ukraine thread should be gassed or ban politics in GBS or whatever but I have like at most a couple dozen posts in the Ukraine thread that are mostly innocuous when I'm not earnestly replying to guys that have mental coping strategies because they fantasize about russian corpses all day. Again I have a fairly low post count and I know for a fact that 2 guys were immediately banned after I quoted them and I'm not saying they wouldn't have been punished or anything but it is emblematic of the threads culture.

I was threadbanned and threatened with a real ban for posting 2 vaguely pro russian tweets, I think commiegir qued a ban for kirbykhan because he posted "Wat is bad" thats nuts. There's litterally no stakes to posting about Ukraine on SA, chill out. No one is even being disruptive breaking tables or spamming images. The thread is insanely hostile to any thought other than total ukraine victory and partition of Russia is not tolerated.

Tl;dr chillout

Your point might have been better served if you followed the thread rules about tagging content and not posted stupid poo poo like the quote below because all it does is make light of someone else's suffering. What was your point in posting that bunch of tweets? to point out that yes, people get hosed over or badly hurt, even killed, when fighting in a war? If you had stuck to saying that war isn't a spectator sport for peoples' amusement and shouldn't be treated as such, or said something relevant like trying to make people understand that posting about a war isn't praxis, nobody except the super invested people who think that posting is praxis would be upset about it. Also people stopped gore posting as per the rules set out in the thread op, and anyone that was caught doing it or alluding to it got probed or banned, so I don't understand where the whole "fantasizing about Russian corpses" came from. Most of us would rather that Putin just gently caress off back home and stop the war so the suffering ends, but that's not likely to happen unless he gets openly defeated or his army too degraded to continue fighting the war.

quote:

The funniest bit is despite being surrounded by countries with universal healthcare they shipped his rear end back to the us and put in debt for the rest of his life lmao. Got my skull shattered by a rocket and all I got was this slava ukraina bumper sticker

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Terminal autist posted:

I think commiegir qued a ban for kirbykhan because he posted "Wat is bad" thats nuts.

if someone followed you around saying "beating your wife is bad" would that be ok? It's the insinuation that people in the thread are pro-war that is insulting and just wrong. If he wants to engage with people about his problems with the thread he should do that instead of doing the "I'm not touching you!!!" act.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

zone posted:

Your point might have been better served if you followed the thread rules about tagging content and not posted stupid poo poo like the quote below because all it does is make light of someone else's suffering. What was your point in posting that bunch of tweets? to point out that yes, people get hosed over or badly hurt, even killed, when fighting in a war? If you had stuck to saying that war isn't a spectator sport for peoples' amusement and shouldn't be treated as such, or said something relevant like trying to make people understand that posting about a war isn't praxis, nobody except the super invested people who think that posting is praxis would be upset about it. Also people stopped gore posting as per the rules set out in the thread op, and anyone that was caught doing it or alluding to it got probed or banned, so I don't understand where the whole "fantasizing about Russian corpses" came from. Most of us would rather that Putin just gently caress off back home and stop the war so the suffering ends, but that's not likely to happen unless he gets openly defeated or his army too degraded to continue fighting the war.

The fantasizing about Russian corpses guy was hundlazer who was banned. Ill cop to my post about the marine being way to edgy and worthy of the probe it was a tasteless and bad probe, fwiw the guys a mercenary and hes just as culpable as all the psycho wagner guys imo. My lunch is ending not gonna stick around and dont wanna relitigate the war itt. Just trying to give earnest feedback, not a SAD witchhunt or anything

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Terminal autist posted:

The fantasizing about Russian corpses guy was hundlazer who was banned. Ill cop to my post about the marine being way to edgy and worthy of the probe it was a tasteless and bad probe, fwiw the guys a mercenary and hes just as culpable as all the psycho wagner guys imo. My lunch is ending not gonna stick around and dont wanna relitigate the war itt. Just trying to give earnest feedback, not a SAD witchhunt or anything

For what it's worth I don't think you're posting here on anyone else's behalf or some nebulous crew or the other either. My reply was just for the sake of pointing out how you could have articulated your point better instead of doing whatever you did on that day. :)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kirbykhan is getting probed and suchlike for being told not to do something and repeatedly doing it, not that what hes doing is specifically probable by the way. His crime is not posting "war is bad", his crime is not listening to the mods when they tell him to gently caress off with it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Terminal autist posted:

Tl;dr chillout

Hi ta,

First off, appreciate the feedback.

I know that thread is contentious. I want to state that I don't personally moderate positions. Whatever one feels about the war you're entitled to feel that way and I'm not going to probate someone if they think differently than I do (unless it devolves into bloodthirst). The thread has decided that Ukraine is in the right and they post that way. It would absolutely be no different than if I went into CSPAM and started arguing with people that actually, they're wrong because they're propping up a dictatorship that seeks to destabilize the current world order (I want to emphasize I do not believe this, I'm using it as a example). The Ukraine thread there wouldn't take kindly to that because they have a (not entirely unjustified) skepticism of US involvement in overseas wars. Each of these threads have their own belief system and I'm not entirely sure either one would be accepting of thought outside that. I could be wrong about the CSPAM one! And if I am please let me know because I try to stay out of this anymore.

At the end of the day my internet janitor role is just that: keep things humming and keep threads on track. If there's a continual disruptive presence in a thread that derails it I gotta do something about it. I trust my IKs to get things done and the thread's been mostly pretty good. Thanks to the behind the scenes work it seems both threads are in a good spot right now.

In regards to Kirby, no ban was queued.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have never read the Ukraine thread but it sounds like if you want to cut down on reasons to ban people, or alternatively (and my preference) to increase the amount of bans, you should look there, because it seems every other person is complaining about it in some way or another.

I would recommend a blanket rule of not gassing the thread, but just auto-probing anyone who posts there for a sixer. That way if people think what they have to say is really important they can weigh it up ahead of time.

You're welcome.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Terminal autist posted:

I think commiegir qued a ban for kirbykhan because he posted "Wat is bad" thats nuts.

How can you post something like this and still say you are arguing in good faith? This is an honest question.

It is both factually wrong, and a deliberate misrepresentation of the probe reason.

I don’t think you are actually dumb as a brick, so how else should we view it, other than you thinking the reader is dumb/misinformed enough to believe it, and hope the telephone game takes it the rest of the way?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GBS Argument stadium 2.0

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bring in d and d style moderations and if you ever make an uncited joke or flame the mods are obliged to immiediately queue a ban+30

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Roll the dice to see if I poo poo my pants

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Nooner posted:

I rolled a 4

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nooner posted:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nooner posted:

:itwaspoo:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yes, hello, is this the police? I want to report some people on an insular dead-rear end comedy forum with 1000 active members for posting about Putin making GBS threads his pants. They think they're doing praxis and taking the whole thing way too serious! Please come quick and stop it!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone in GBS posted about getting a papercut. When will these sicko dehumanizing goreposters be dealt with?!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

GABA ghoul posted:

Yes, hello, is this the police? I want to report some people on an insular dead-rear end comedy forum with 1000 active members for posting about Putin making GBS threads his pants. They think they're doing praxis and taking the whole thing way too serious! Please come quick and stop it!

If the thread wants to do that I'm not gonna stop them. It's what they want :shrug:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Make. Smugworth. A. Mod.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saalkin posted:

Make. Smugworth. A. Mod.

:hmmyes:

e: this does not change our status as forum enemies and as soon as I get buttons I will chain probe you for some minor infraction Saalkin but thank you

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 24, 2023

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Smugworth posted:

e: this does not change our status as forum enemies and as soon as I get buttons I will chain probe you for some minor infraction Saalkin but thank you

I am not trying to make peace but that will be unjust and an abuse of power and I'll appeal all the way to the supreme Court

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

When people argue, post cats around them to heal wounds. Land is snoozing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

When people argue, post cats around them to heal wounds. Land is snoozing.

That is a fine looking catte.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Cloud weasel

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Peace offering: Mr. Carrot

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Saalkin posted:

Make. Smugworth. A. Mod.

The people have spoken already.

They said no.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

The people have spoken already.

They said no.

tough talk from an appointee
perhaps you'd like to place your own star on the line and open up a poll?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

frankly this cronyist regime has always hated populists like myself. they fear public opinion because their power is rooted in brute force, not caring for the well-being of the posters

how else can you explain a total insane person like literally a person being allowed to wear the star and run amok until he was forced out of office

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Shut up smegworth

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you have to be popular to call yourself a populist

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If Literally A Person's avatar is not changed to something acceptable, I will be filing a complaint with the BBB.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

If Literally A Person's avatar is not changed to something acceptable, I will be filing a complaint with the BBB.

You shush, it’s perfect

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kntfkr posted:

Lol who gives a gently caress about the BBB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MrQwerty posted:

Lol who gives a gently caress about the BBB

I care deeply about he Big Booty Bitches.