Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That's definitely the early go to for trash clearing. Late game you use Partitio with Thief so you can use Aeber's Reckoning right off the bait.

There are other ways to clear trash mobs (like Agnea with Latent + Elemental Barrage or Hikari with Latent + his AoE move), but Partitio is reliable and fairly easy to hit the 9999 cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My late-game trash clearing has been Boost Start + Step Ahead Hikari just smashing everything with Sentencing Gavel

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
tbh for Armsmaster I only ever used Sixfold to reveal weaknesses or deplete shields, the spear attack on large mobs and the axe attack for pure consistent damage. Equipping the other legendary weapons is kind of optional.

Zaggitz posted:

My early game move right now(almost done all the ch 2s) is Partitio with inventor and the skill that maxes his LP at the start of a fight. Find a common weakness and unleash a fully boosted catapult to match it for quick one turn fights that cost no sp.

Yeah I gave Partitio inventor as well and that boosted catapult is no joke. I didn't even think to max his LP, just the extra BP from the merchant skill is enough to finish most mobs (or put them in range of it)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the sword skill actually does the hugest damage, because the sword itself has a +250 Physical Attack bonus against broken enemies, and it's real easy to hit your armsmaster with spring boots or whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cosmic Roar (the sword skill) does a lot of damage but it also only does one hit. Once you're really strong, the money's in multi-hit abilities, so the axe one (On the Hunt) is going to be more damage at postgame levels (or if you're hitting the damage cap because you don't have Deal More Damage equipped).

Neither is quite as strong as learned skills, though. Limb from Limb and Sentencing Gavel hit insanely hard.

IMO they slightly over-nerfed magic in this one, given that Hikari can do in one action with a 3 BP fully boosted Sentencing Gavel what it takes two actions and 6 BP to do with magic (Alephan's Wisdom + fully boosting a spell).

Then again it's probably more that Hikari's learned abilities are crazy powerful and everything else is actually fairly well balanced.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think it's more than just Hikari, things like Castti's Desperate Measures or even generic job actions like Aeber's Reckoning just perform better with less set-up.

Magic can still be potent but it does require more finangling. Also doesn't help that for some reason, physical buffing is easier than magic buffing - for instance, Castti can concot physical buffs but not magical ones, so the only reliable source of targeted magical buffing is Peacock Strut.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think it's more than just Hikari, things like Castti's Desperate Measures or even generic job actions like Aeber's Reckoning just perform better with less set-up.

Magic can still be potent but it does require more finangling. Also doesn't help that for some reason, physical buffing is easier than magic buffing - for instance, Castti can concot physical buffs but not magical ones, so the only reliable source of targeted magical buffing is Peacock Strut.

Not exactly -Agnea as Scholar can spread all the Scholar's buffs across the party with her latent power, and Ochette can find some monsters with super-buffing powers. Though I've found the really OP monsters are 1-time use, like the story Pokémon. Something like the Revenant boosts everything on everyone, and as the Revenant can only be activated on a full boost, those buffs will stay for a good, long while. It's a real "gently caress it, this enemy is done" button.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've definitely come around to liking Armsmaster Osvald, at least. Elemental spells boosted with 3 element-boosting weapons can significantly outdamage One True Magic III for like a sixth of the SP cost. It takes him from an okay character to a walking nuke.

Still takes more setup than Hikari but you're gonna need more than one great damage dealer for the superboss so Nuclear Osvald definitely has some uses.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It also feels right to give Osvald a job that would actually make use of his ridiculous physique. A good scholar is strong of both mind & body indeed. :black101:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

I've definitely come around to liking Armsmaster Osvald, at least. Elemental spells boosted with 3 element-boosting weapons can significantly outdamage One True Magic III for like a sixth of the SP cost. It takes him from an okay character to a walking nuke.

Still takes more setup than Hikari but you're gonna need more than one great damage dealer for the superboss so Nuclear Osvald definitely has some uses.

OTM seems really good on paper but is generally pretty useless in my experience. I mean, I've used it once or twice for the shield break when he had no other options to be useful... The damage on it isn't that great for the MP cost.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
OTM for 3 AoE shield break is handy.

But y'know, hired help does that for 4 shields with no setup.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think it's generally more of a utility option than anything, since it's one of only a handful of universal shield break options. Ochette's requires Latent, Hired Help costs money, and Ruinous Kick is only single-target and can only break a single shield point regardless of boost.

Hired Help is still the best option in my opinion, but heh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's also Hikari's Shield Thief learned skill that just directly reduces shield points without dealing damage, though that requires setup to make AoE (Sealticge specifically).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I have a question about the end of Throne's chapter 4: What happened to her youngest sibling?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Throné chapter 4: completing the chapter unlocks a sidequest in Wellgrove.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just wrapped up my first round of ch 2s! So far Temenos and Castti are my favorite storylines, I'm a real sucker for how the game mechanics handle Castti's amnesia.

Tomorrow I do all the crossed path part 1s and then it's off to chapter 3 land with Osvald.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Throné chapter 4: completing the chapter unlocks a sidequest in Wellgrove.

I think Pibbleton was referring to the baby rather than Mira?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I tried giving Hikari the Arcanist job and I dunno; being able to use Giant’s Club is great but he wasn’t doing *that* much more damage than before, and I needed him attacking *a lot* when I tried my first final chapter (started with Osvald). I gave Arcanist to Partitio afterwards and lmfao, lol at being able to spread around Sidestep for multiple stacks

At this point I’m ready for Hikari to start dishing out the true endgame big damage so I went and got some of his busted skills. Except Last Gasp because gently caress that dude

Tempted to do Hikari’s last chapter next because you can apparently get a stupid overpowered sword out of it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hikari's last chapter unlocks the ability to buy/steal the Battle-Tested Blade which is the strongest sword and has the same effect as the Giant's Club (boosts physical skill damage), which also stacks with the Giant's Club. Both important ingredients for Hikari to consistently hit for 99999 multiple times per round.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Welp, did my first final chapter today, mostly on accident because I couldn't believe Ochette with her 3 chapter 2s would actually for real end after chapter 3. Yeah, I'm dumb sometimes.

Did you know I was always rolling my eyes at the Humans on Ochette's island going on about "we need more land for our village"? I was always screaming at the screen you don't need two villages, you basically live on top of each other already!!!!!!!!1111 so I was genuinely laughing when one demon invasion later, the loving Humans finally decided to become reasonable and both villages are now sharing land like one big village. A reasonable end to a reasonable chapter! (Also, that poor dog.)

Well, Ochette has now retired from the party at level 57 to give other leaders time to shine. I flipped a coin and Armsmaster Casti is up next! I sure hope I can actually find a second relic for her soon, or this may end up very silly. :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I have a question about the end of Throne's chapter 4: What happened to her youngest sibling?

Claude shouted, “What is a man?” And then threw the baby at the floor, shattering it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Bizarrely this is left completely up in the air.

The kindest interpretation is that Throné took the baby to the orphanage in Wellgrove to be raised with the other now-freed Blacksnake kids, but that's never mentioned and there's no baby at the orphanage if you go there. But it also seems really out of character for Throné to straight-up murder a baby or to allow them to die of neglect, not to mention the other companions who are maybe or maybe not there with her, so :shrug:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1647950005549023232?s=20

I don't think it was posted but the English version of the artbook for Octopath 1 is available for preorder. Releases in December.

Octopath 2's art book comes out in Japan next month.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dude, excellent. Thanks for the heads up.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Throne ch 4 spoiler: Claude shouted, “What is a man?” And then threw the baby at the floor, shattering it.

lmao this is the answer

EDIT: endgame spoiler: When Ori offed herself I was legit shocked, like oh poo poo they actually did it. But nope, they chickened out. This whole elaborate plan of life sacrifices to put out the flames is apparently unnecessary. The all consuming chaos of Vide is fine with just putting in a good effort, no need to actually die or anything. Vide not needing a vessel either also makes Claude stuff even dumber, although I guess it explains why he decided to play Dracula. Gotta do something with all that time.

All in all a great game that improved on everything in 1 (except the obnoxious encounter rate) even if it's still a little shaky on party interactions and tying everything together. Can't wait for whatever they make next

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 18, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Definitely down for an OT artbook, a shame I have to wait until December though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Partitio done. few more left, Castti, Agnea, Temenos. plus a boatload of side things.

I hated OT1, and I'm in love with this game. The encounter rate sucks though and I'm so done with invisible random battles. But game is so much better it makes OT1 look like a tech demo

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

At least Ochette (or Hikari) + Full Power from Merchant means you can turn 1 sweep w/ latent power just about every encounter for free. Doesn't really stop it from being annoying af

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
And now I have finally got Hikari doing 17k-22k damage per sword hit on one of his better multi sword skills when boosted. Decided to give him Conjurer since no one else needs the class and Hikari currently benefits the most from the half SP skill and being able to use clubs and bows (giant club and actually having his bow learned skill do decent damage)

Completely wrecked the final boss of Temenos’s route because of this

Sorry OT2, Hikari will continue to carry the team on his back until I finish this game (or until I run into a boss that reflects physical damage or something)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 19, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

MechaX posted:

And now I have finally got Hikari doing 17k-22k damage per sword hit on one of his better multi sword skills when boosted. Decided to give him Conjurer since no one else needs the class and Hikari currently benefits the most from the half SP skill and being able to use clubs and bows (giant club and actually having his bow learned skill do decent damage)

Completely wrecked the final boss of Temenos’s route because of this

Sorry OT2, Hikari will continue to carry the team on his back until I finish this game (or until I run into a boss that reflects physical damage or something)

I’m glad to hear he’s that good. Warrior supremacy. rPGs have suffered under mage tyrany for far too long.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Once I got Hikari properly set up he ripped a line straight through all the bosses until epilogue. They'd transition into their required-by-law second phase and then die to a leaf because they'd have 1 HP left.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GloomMouse posted:

At least Ochette (or Hikari) + Full Power from Merchant means you can turn 1 sweep w/ latent power just about every encounter for free. Doesn't really stop it from being annoying af

Partitio can do it too with Full Power and Thief subjob. Plus you get to hear 'yeehaw! Let's do it!'.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BurningBeard posted:

Holy poo poo Partitio is simultaneously incredibly corny and awesome. And that tune at the end of his chapter one omg

I think I like the gloomy crew better than the upbeat one, overall. Too early to make any definitive conclusions but I'm hoping they get rounded off a bit. There's some serious tonal whiplash in this game. Not a complaint as such I like the variance.

Partitio rules because he's basically a folk hero myth made flesh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Around halfway through the game I had to start actively nerfing Hikari so that story bosses would put up something at least resembling a fight. Part of this is because he was my main character so he was overleveled, but the other part is that he just hits like a goddamn truck.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny because Hikari was one of my lesser used characters (the other being Ochette). Partitio did the job fine and I didn't want to check and challenge every townsperson to find the best skills for Hikari to use. So he just ended up being... okay.

I eventually got him Limb from Limb and he did start going up, but someone who doesn't know where all the good skills are might just end up with a Hikari that's just fine instead of destroying bosses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah yeah, I was obsessively interacting with every NPC just to mug them with Osvald for good gear so I stumbled into some strong learned skills and strong weapons early on.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Partitio can do it too with Full Power and Thief subjob. Plus you get to hear 'yeehaw! Let's do it!'.
Ochette says Awoooo at the victory screen!

I grabbed Hikari last just because I heard he was a beast, but the hp totals in general are so small that many people can delete things with no trouble. Which I want to say is bad but also good? HP sponge bosses are soooo boring I'm on the fence. I feel like I should have to set up for maximum bullshit at least twice to win, rather than once and it wasn't even fully set up

Next game I hope we can at least see what the monster skills do at the capture screen. Since they basically never got a turn it was a pita to check by provoking in the next fight just check. I guess could've looked it up

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the one hand I think late-game bosses (especially the final story chapter bosses) could've used more HP, but on the other I recognize most people probably aren't optimizing so they might not be deleting things as quickly.

For my part I avoided equipping Deal More Damage until postgame just so bosses could live a few more turns.

Octopath combat's kind of cool though because even if you can do a lot of damage, bosses can do a lot of damage right back. It's very rocket tag. Just as much as being able to do a lot of damage, being able to break quickly can make fights a lot easier because bosses don't get to act. If bosses get a turn, they can gently caress you up. But I do think just a bit more HP on late-game bosses would've been good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah the high oncoming damage is one of my favorite things about this game. Sure of you have a good strategy it'll be fine and you'll snooze through it but at least you have to pay attention.

I wish they'd add a whole rear end end game dungeon full of unfair bullshit to put your team through its paces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah I think that feels right, final bosses should have some staying power no matter what you throw at them. Definitely liked how all throughout the game they were able to do real numbers at me. Some of the half set up attacks I did were because I broke them earlier than planned to stop their bullshit rather than just eat it and heal after