Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah my coworkers are union (not PSAC) and some of them hate the union, or at least consider it irrelevant. They're terrified of a strike if the negotiation vote fails because I guess their strike pay is really bad. At the same time they're all completely aware that anything less than a 12% raise (I think that's inflation now?) is a pay decrease and fail to see the obvious solution.

On the other hand I think I finally managed to go from a contract job to a proper one so I look forward to getting my union protection. The most hosed up thing is that my boss has been fighting HR for a year to get me in. I couldn't believe it either but thanks for that lol. Of course he quit last week so it's up and down smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Fidelitious posted:

I hope PSAC takes all their pay.

There is essentially no chance that will happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slotducks posted:

i had someone tell me they didn't like the healthcare and teaching unions because they were too political

My dad was a bus driver in victoria for like 30 years and eventually got involved in the union, becoming VP. He constantly had random drivers getting mad that the union was "getting too political" and "should stick to protecting their wages, but out of politics" when it was election time. Apparently a union recommending union workers vote for the least anti-worker party, or the party that doesn't have gutting transit as a policy goal is "too political".

There's a lot of very right wing straight ticket conservative union workers who hate having their union tell them to vote NDP every election. As working class union people they absolutely do not align with the conservatives in any way, it usually all comes down to social stuff like being a raging homophobe.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Grey skies ahead

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Baronjutter posted:

My dad was a bus driver in victoria for like 30 years and eventually got involved in the union, becoming VP. He constantly had random drivers getting mad that the union was "getting too political" and "should stick to protecting their wages, but out of politics" when it was election time. Apparently a union recommending union workers vote for the least anti-worker party, or the party that doesn't have gutting transit as a policy goal is "too political".

There's a lot of very right wing straight ticket conservative union workers who hate having their union tell them to vote NDP every election. As working class union people they absolutely do not align with the conservatives in any way, it usually all comes down to social stuff like being a raging homophobe.

Sounds like MSM anti-union agitprop is working as designed.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ZShakespeare posted:

Sounds like MSM anti-union agitprop is working as designed.

Do you really think it's MSM (which is clearly biased, yes) or more thoughtless use of social media? I'd argue that having somebody to parrot as well as a place to have somebody affirm whatever frustration you have in an anonymized environment does way more to foster this sort of thing than any kind of propagandist could achieve in his wildest wettest propaganda dreams.

Like we all look at poster campaigns from the Weimar republic and scoff but those are subtle compared to many twitter feeds.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The number of boomer teachers in BC that I've talked to over the years that think their union isn't necessary or makes things overly confrontational is astounding. They've literally had to take legal action over 14 years to force the government to live up to negotiated terms and these people think that without a union they somehow would have been in a better position.

Without a union they would have had negative growth salaries since the nineties at least and continuously growing class sizes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

InfiniteZero posted:

Do you really think it's MSM (which is clearly biased, yes) or more thoughtless use of social media? I'd argue that having somebody to parrot as well as a place to have somebody affirm whatever frustration you have in an anonymized environment does way more to foster this sort of thing than any kind of propagandist could achieve in his wildest wettest propaganda dreams.

Like we all look at poster campaigns from the Weimar republic and scoff but those are subtle compared to many twitter feeds.

Yes. The trend of public sentiment turning against unions and labour organizing has been going on a lot longer than twitter has been around, and has way more mainstream uptake with the normies than it would if it were just the handful of us who have been terminally online since the internet condensed into 5 websites.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I even remember TV in the 80's and 90's would constantly have unions as the butt of jokes. Unions are why japan is going to own us within a generation. Unions are all hyper corrupt and enable lazy workers. It just became a sort of "everyone knows" trope. Simpsons was all over the place on it too, but often came down making unions the butt of the joke.

One of the few unabashedly pro-union bits in any media I recall from the 90's was from loving DS9 when the workers in Quarks bar form a union and Rom ends up quoting marx and it's played entirely as unions and marx being 100% right and noble.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
Met a non-exempt manager on the picket today who argued that strike pay was worse for her because she makes more money. That was a new one.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Baronjutter posted:

One of the few unabashedly pro-union bits in any media I recall from the 90's was from loving DS9 when the workers in Quarks bar form a union and Rom ends up quoting marx and it's played entirely as unions and marx being 100% right and noble.

This is why DS9 is still the best.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZShakespeare posted:

Yes. The trend of public sentiment turning against unions and labour organizing has been going on a lot longer than twitter has been around, and has way more mainstream uptake with the normies than it would if it were just the handful of us who have been terminally online since the internet condensed into 5 websites.

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out the demographics on SA because there are people posting here who are either teenagers or somehow otherwise unaware that there is rather a lot of pre-internet history.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DS9 owns

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I'm in my first Union job in my life and after we nearly striked last year and it won us a better deal, looking at my benefits, my scheduled pay raises and pension grow, I would 100% fight a cop if it ever came down to it for this Union. Unions loving rock and I'll never go back to working without one.

Edit: a word

Willatron fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 19, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'll admit the only job I had that had a union was working at a Metro grocery, I don't feel like it benefited me a whole ton as a part timer, but I also don't really feel like it made anything worse while probably having invisible benefits for me and being good for the people who were full time.

I'd also like to think it might be part of the reason why I never got hassled for ignoring my manager telling me to go stand at the front of the cash when it was slow so customers could more easily tell my lane was open. (That's why we have lights...)

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Willatron posted:

I'm in my first Union job in my life and after we nearly striked last year and it won us a better deal, looking at my benefits, my scheduled pay raises and pension grow, I would 100% fight a cop if it ever came down to it for this Union. Unions loving rock and I'll never go back to working without one.

Edit: a word

My experience is similar. I do basically the same level of work as my previous comaparable work and make like 150% as much money and have way more benefits of every kind.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Fran Fine never crosses a picket line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3sSHF7w_D4

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The A-Team union episode was good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM0YujbVRMQ

Another thing I find incredible is when I overhear people saying we should copy the US healthcare system since they could pay for better service. They always say something like "I make a lot of money so I'd be OK". "A lot of money " is always like $85K.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I can't remember the last time a prominent politician said something this cool:

Jagmeet posted:

I looked directly at the prime minister and said, 'We're a workers' party'

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out the demographics on SA because there are people posting here who are either teenagers or somehow otherwise unaware that there is rather a lot of pre-internet history.

I was a grown rear end adult with my own credit card when I reged this account.

edit: gently caress I'm coming up on 20 years just put me out of my misery already.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

COPE 27 posted:

I can't remember the last time a prominent politician said something this cool:

I think he misspoke, "We were a workers' party"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 20, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has it always been people looking to feather their own nest?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The UCP is getting desperate in AB, they have a video and branded text blast from Stephen Harper. I'm surprised Harper is willing to attach himself to Danielle Smith, even if she wins she doesn't seem like the right relationship for a real politician like Harper, but it's where we are as a country so

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

The UCP is getting desperate in AB, they have a video and branded text blast from Stephen Harper. I'm surprised Harper is willing to attach himself to Danielle Smith, even if she wins she doesn't seem like the right relationship for a real politician like Harper, but it's where we are as a country so

https://twitter.com/stephenharper/status/983459826003951616

I don't think he gives a gently caress about tying himself to fascist fuckwads

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Harper already graduated to political retirement (high paying consultant work) so he doesn't care

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

sleep with the vicious posted:

If you listen to Lego Hair's "endorsement" he's careful to only mention Notley by name, not Smith. He only says to vote UCP, not for any one candidate. So apparently even he thinks Danielle Smith is a millstone around the UCPs neck.

And did I miss something? Did Danielle talk to the Lieutenant Governor and drop the writ while the playoffs are on? UCP MLAs are already in campaign mode and telling reporters as much, limiting questions, using their official social media accounts to remind people to vote for them. I know politicians usually start on fundraising and preparing for the next election as soon as they elected in the current one, but even this seems egregious.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lars Blitzer posted:

If you listen to Lego Hair's "endorsement" he's careful to only mention Notley by name, not Smith. He only says to vote UCP, not for any one candidate. So apparently even he thinks Danielle Smith is a millstone around the UCPs neck.

And did I miss something? Did Danielle talk to the Lieutenant Governor and drop the writ while the playoffs are on? UCP MLAs are already in campaign mode and telling reporters as much, limiting questions, using their official social media accounts to remind people to vote for them. I know politicians usually start on fundraising and preparing for the next election as soon as they elected in the current one, but even this seems egregious.

No she hasn't dropped it yet she's said it drops on the first of May.

Its a stalling tactic because NDP has a larger war chest at the moment but can't access funds for direct ads until she does.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

apatheticman posted:

No she hasn't dropped it yet she's said it drops on the first of May.

Its a stalling tactic because NDP has a larger war chest at the moment but can't access funds for direct ads until she does.

I figured as much, but the way the UCP MLAs have been talking you'd think they were in full campaign mode. Regardless of their bravado at the moment, they're scared.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I even remember TV in the 80's and 90's would constantly have unions as the butt of jokes. Unions are why japan is going to own us within a generation. Unions are all hyper corrupt and enable lazy workers. It just became a sort of "everyone knows" trope. Simpsons was all over the place on it too, but often came down making unions the butt of the joke.

There's also the lingering ties to organized crime given how prevalent that was/is in New York, New Jersey, and Montreal (?). Very popular storyline in tv shows and movies for a long time so I think a lot of people hear 'union' and up pops images of dockworkers and other labourers getting paid to export stolen cars or something. Not so much for government unions of course. Those workers just get painted as privileged elites who want to steal more money from the regular hard-working Canadians that pay their salaries while doing nothing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would simply give PSAC the pay rise they’re looking for because it’s completely reasonable and there’s no reason to drag this poo poo out, apart from petulance.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Oxyclean posted:

I'll admit the only job I had that had a union was working at a Metro grocery, I don't feel like it benefited me a whole ton as a part timer, but I also don't really feel like it made anything worse while probably having invisible benefits for me and being good for the people who were full time.

I'd also like to think it might be part of the reason why I never got hassled for ignoring my manager telling me to go stand at the front of the cash when it was slow so customers could more easily tell my lane was open. (That's why we have lights...)

UFCW is a thoroughly infiltrated and compromised union. It just does what management tells it to. So you're probably correct in that it didn't actually do anything for you, save for doing minimal actions for the most obvious and egregious grievances.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't impressed with the USW this year either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
With this strike on-going, I'm heartened to see that the essential service of suspending SINs is continuing without disruption. I was concerned.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

With this strike on-going, I'm heartened to see that the essential service of suspending SINs is continuing without disruption. I was concerned.

Oh look my CRA account has been frozen

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

PT6A posted:

It's the only way to keep those filthy shadowrunners from being able to just waltz into your corporate enclave, chummer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Toronto drug case dropped after cop testifies he stole drug evidence, overdosed in station parking lot

quote:

“Do I remember that happening? No,” testified former officer Lorenzino Censoni. “I’m pretty ashamed of it.”

Drug-related crime is out of control, we need more cops on the case.

The guy in the article took enough coke+fentanyl to have to be hospitalized for a month, got a 12-month conditional sentence and I guess was "encouraged" to resign. Somehow, though, there's an even more outrageous case:

quote:

Censoni was one of two Toronto police officers who stole drugs from the evidence locker at North York’s 31 Division in a matter of months. Shortly after Censoni’s overdose, former detective Paul Worden also took drug evidence from the division — one of an estimated 20 times the homicide detective admitted he’d stolen drugs from police evidence lockers across the city over a period of 18 months.

Unlike Censoni, Worden was never criminally charged, something former Toronto police chief James Ramer admitted in a 2021 year-end interview with the Star was a mistake. Worden, who said he was in the throes of an opioid addiction, immediately resigned after his thefts were discovered and Toronto police brought in the OPP to investigate their impact on drug and homicide cases. An internal police report obtained by the Star estimated that Worden’s actions could impact 17 criminal cases.

In an interview with internal investigators, Worden detailed how he used a police network that catalogued drug evidence to source drugs destined for destruction, though he admitted to also stealing drug evidence from ongoing investigations. Since Censoni and Worden’s thefts were discovered, Toronto police have said they installed video cameras in every evidence locker in the city. They also created a formal policy stating that professional standards investigators cannot make decisions about whether or not to lay criminal charges without consulting with Crown prosecutors.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Gentlemen start your consent engines

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/people-hate-us-striking-public-servants-know-they-dont-have-the-hearts-and-minds-of-canadians

quote:

People hate us

quote:

they don't have the hearts and minds of Canadians

quote:

Many of their hearts weren't in it

quote:

It was hardly the kind of group energy and enthusiasm one often associates with such labour actions

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Turbotax trying to give me a heart attack because it isn't able to properly import income tax for the quebec tax forms. :mad:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Good of the newspaper to tell us they don't have public support, now I know this is a bad thing.

It's actually critically important that the average Canadian support these workers getting a fair wage, otherwise, they shouldn't get one.

If Mike from Canmore thinks your goldbrickin' rear end is overpaid, you'd better be ready to work for free.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twitter removed non-paid verified checks.

Little PP, Scott Moe, Danielle Smith are verified

Eby, Stephanson, DoFo, Legault, Notley are not

Only Trudeau, Freeland, and government agencies have the silver government check

There is no chance this can be abused.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2023