Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

ilmucche posted:

The Keeley/jack stuff hits real weird for me. Keeley and Roy seemed like they didn't really want to call it quits, and fair play for moving on but it's gone to the strange place of hooking up with the person who's financed the company. Not a fan of the weird power dynamics there.

The Rebecca/Sam thing was so much worse, but agree.

I thought Keeley supporting Shandy was a good idea, she obviously had talent as a video producer and I liked the idea that Keeley was allowing someone written off the same way she was a chance to shine. Turns out her ultimate contribution to the story was providing a reason for Keeley and Jack to get together alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tweak posted:

Something has felt off to me about this season but I can't really figure out what it is, maybe because of how quickly they've just been jumping into/out of stories? I don't know how to explain it but my first thought after some scenes in episode 1 were as if they were written by a fan who's favorite show ended a couple years ago and they decided to bring everyone back in new roles. I'm certainly enjoying the season and have been looking forward to every new episode, though.

For me, its been that Ted is almost isn't around in the periphery of the show. He is the coach and a coach that is suppose to be good and getting players to play to their best but it feels like he has been separated from everyone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That has felt weird this season, like he's not coaching at all. It's just Beard and Roy pitching ideas and then explaining the rules of soccer.

I wish they hadn't dropped the plot point from the end of Season1 where Beard was starting to lose his patience with Ted because they're professionals paid to do a job and sometimes 'Having Fun' isn't the end goal.

Edit: god, when y'all were comparing Keeley and Jack to Rebecca and Sam I thought you were talking about Cheers.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 14, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should have gotten five reds against West Ham and abandoned the match :colbert:

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Shandy was entirely grating to me and I'm glad that arc seems done.

You wish, she's gonna come back as Rupert's Sith apprentice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She's going to come back with STRFKR being a hugely successfull app, and just as she's about pit Keeley out of business she gets a C&D from the band.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She's going to come back with STRFKR being a hugely successfull app, and just as she's about pit Keeley out of business she gets a C&D from the band.

Setting up a bizzaro-Ted Lasso spin off where every role is just the opposite of their AFC Richmond counterpart.

Call it Nate Shelley. Features a coach with no self confidence, a cruel boss, and an insane PR person. Also Zava as the player turned coach anti-Roy role.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, you guys who think Shandy’s storyline is “done” are crazy, she’s clearly being set up to follow through in her threat to start up a separate firm which will look like competition but the completely flame out because she’s a terrible person.

I think the season is great so far, and all the pieces are in place for the Richmond fuckups to really get their acts together, believe in each other, and make it to the end, and it’s weird how much rage there is in this thread for the show being the same show it’s been for two seasons already.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mooseontheloose posted:

For me, its been that Ted is almost isn't around in the periphery of the show. He is the coach and a coach that is suppose to be good and getting players to play to their best but it feels like he has been separated from everyone.

I'm liking this for where the story going. I mean he's legit a mess and it's like he gave in to the easy success and team unity Zava offered. But also you see how not a great course this guy is on in general and is probably keeping his distance because he's horrible at asserting his own needs over anything going on around him. He sees his dad in everyone and doesn't want to be too selfish around anyone. And yet he's still telling people to do what his dad used to say and just count to 10 and calm down and given what we know about how his dad turned out? Good to see some of the darker humor back this season in general.

So far this season is great to me except for Rebecca's storyline. It feels too out of character because yeah, she said she wanted to have a family with Rupert back in the day and seeing Rupert with Becks and a kid now sucks, but it's like no time has passed and nothing happened over these years until her saying that back then and then this one particular meeting with Rupert and Becks? And like her getting to the point of asking of psychics are real, I don't know. I thought she was made of sterner stuff when it came to flat out bullshit, I figured Leslie's brief conversation with her about it would be the end of it. And like her focus on having to HAVE a kid instead of adopting one, or potentially meeting someone who has a kid or whatever, her story's not really grabbing me at all.

When will she realize that the matchbook is actually a playbook etc.?

Keeley's storyline I like overall but her total ignorance of how anything works seems out of character. I've known people actually like that who've been working running a small office branch like that for like 20 years and somehow literally don't know jack about how anything works or where anything comes from. But Keely's whole thing in the past seasons was her actually learning how to run her own stuff for real.

ilmucche posted:

The Keeley/jack stuff hits real weird for me. Keeley and Roy seemed like they didn't really want to call it quits, and fair play for moving on but it's gone to the strange place of hooking up with the person who's financed the company. Not a fan of the weird power dynamics there.

This was the most interesting part of her story so far for me because it happening and also the way she avoids talking about it at all with Jack made me reassess her and Roy breaking up. Like we don't really see them actually breakup we see them have the conversation with Phoebe so like did they really just break up because they're very busy compared to the previous seasons where they were somehow much less busy? Made me think there was more going on there that will get revealed later on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 17, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zero One posted:

Setting up a bizzaro-Ted Lasso spin off where every role is just the opposite of their AFC Richmond counterpart.

Call it Nate Shelley. Features a coach with no self confidence, a cruel boss, and an insane PR person. Also Zava as the player turned coach anti-Roy role.

The end of episode 1 establishes Anastasia as the new Rupert when Nate sees her at A Taste of Athens eating like five plates of baklava.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 17, 2023

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can Nine Inch Nails sue if her firm is called Starfuckers, Inc.?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yes, but she'll have thought ahead and created it as an LLC instead of incorporating.

no, they own intellectual rights to Starfucker as music not dating app.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
63 minute runtime on this week's episode, according to the AppleTV blurb

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Loved it.

That’s the post. I loved this episode.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This might have been my favorite episode of the entire series.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It was nice to see an episode fully commit to itself. I've been missing that throughout this season. It was also nice that my half-Dutch blood recognized Total Football before Beard said it out loud!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Wee Bairns posted:

This might have been my favorite episode of the entire series.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love Piggy Stardust.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Lovely episode.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Okay this season has been a bit uneven, but episode 6 was AMAZING.

Hope they keep this up through the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t love it quite as much as everyone else so far - too overstuffed - but it was still pretty drat good.

Jamie/Roy and Colin/Trent storylines were excellent. Rebecca one was…..I mean in a vacuum fine but still continues this show’s kinda weird misogynist treatment of her this season where it’s all about boys and babies and whatever. Really not into how this show is treating its female characters right now.

Ted and majority of the team subplots both took a little too long to get going but ended up alright (that fantasy sequence is gonna be very hit-or-miss, and I personally didn’t dig it, but everything about the American restaurant was very funny), and Higgins/Will didn’t do anything for me and probably should have been cut.

Also very unrealistic because in reality at least half of those players would have been straight into the nearest coffeeshop although I’m sure the Dutch tourist board will appreciate that legal weed wasn’t mentioned once. As someone who doesn’t know football well that final reveal about the tactics made me laugh a bunch but I think my biggest laugh of the whole episode might have been right after when the bicycle dealer was IMMEDIATELY there to grab the bike once Jamie and Roy got off it.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

A great return to form by showing so many stories together, and none of the things that have dragged a bit (psychics, dating app businesses).

Also reminiscent of the Xmas episode which I loved! :colbert:

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Will confirm that this *so far* was my favorite episode of the season and probably series. It had some focus on people we hadn’t seen much of and still continued the other stories we’ve seen all season.

Also bless the show for going all in on that Ted scene in the restaurant. Bonus points for the educational sequence and getting Corey Burton to voice it. Didn’t have a Donald in Mathmagic Land homage on my bingo card but it was great.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Also very unrealistic because in reality at least half of those players would have been straight into the nearest coffeeshop although I’m sure the Dutch tourist board will appreciate that legal weed wasn’t mentioned once.

There was the brief mention of a space cake.

Overall great episode, and a nice counterpart to the second season Beards night out adventure where we didn't need to see any of it this time and can just accept he's had an insane time.

What I miss from earlier is these guys actually feeling like famous professional footballers. I get that one of the whole points of the show is the effect that Ted had on them, but it kind of undermines the amazing progress Jamie has made when they all seem to have become 13 year olds.

My speculation for the end of the season/series is that it ends with Richmond about halfway in the rankings. Clearly not contending for a win, but also not worrying about relegation, just set up to try again next year. Because that's the reality. No loss is final in sports, and no win, no matter how spectacular, is either. Ted leaving the team in defeat is an unsatisfying ending, but also ending on triumph misses the point as well.

All the characters could be personally sad even if Richmond is doing well, and they could all be happy even if Richmond is doing poorly. The show is about the characters finding their own paths to happiness, and Richmond's ranking is a red herring in that regard.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

This episode did a lot better than the christmas episode that tried a similar thing to give everybody a feelgood plotline. Although Rebecca's story was way too rom-com for my tastes. A note like "It's not drugged (I promise)" is not going to play well in 95% of situations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lister posted:

A note like "It's not drugged (I promise)" is not going to play well in 95% of situations.

He's not rude, he is dutch.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
probably should have clocked it in the yankee doodle burger barn but laughed aloud when i realised in the middle of him explaining it that ted had independently invented total football.

also found colin/trent's chat very touching and i'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't hamfisted it as i thought they might

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Really don't have much to add except that I also loved this episode. Really reminded me of the Liverpool episode in Season 1 (my favorite episode of the series).

Nuclear Spoon posted:

also found colin/trent's chat very touching and i'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't hamfisted it as i thought they might

Agreed, that was some excellent writing and character development.

There were so many great quotes from this episode but I think favorite might have been:
"Oh, where in the states are you from, friend?"
"Melbourne!"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Instant classic. Top 3 of the series for me.

So relieved they didn't go for the obvious Trent runs a story about Colin and blows up his life and the team (at least not yet). Instead, they served up a Yankee-Doodle-Burger sized helping of the kind of earnest wholesomeness that Ted Lasso delivers with impossible frequency.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I also forgot the detail from the psychic that Rebecca would be upside down and wet but safe. can't remember her acknowledging it either?

also loved the call back to movie night or pillow fight from S1.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The whole total football thing at the end was a bit hard to parse, was it just another joke at Ted's ignorance about football or was it meant to signify that although Ted is clueless he has managed to conceive football on the same level of famous revolutionary football genius (and obviously Ajax Amsterdam legend) Johann Cruyff, it didn't feel like just an empty joke to me and it does come as a juxtaposition to Roy and Beard constantly suggesting rigid old school positional tactics, so I guess we're set up for Ted showing a degree of competency (by applying a tactic which is famously not suitable for mediocre teams nor is it a style that can just be easily adopted without intense drilling, but, i mean, lol football realism who cares) for the final parts of the season.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2023

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
As someone living in the Netherlands, this episode just felt surreal. So many accents. I had actually expected more "Dutch are so straightforward" jokes.

Beard's Dutch at the end was on point.

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 19, 2023

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Man, this show is really losing me. I always thought it was a little too meandering and indulgent, but this one took it to another level, just a full hour-long episode of durdling character stuff without any real forward progress. There's a director out there that could have tied this all into a much tighter package, more focused on the football season and using the character relationships as the emotional core of the story, and I've been waiting for that to come into being since the start, but that's just not what they're doing. And what they ARE doing just feels incredibly mediocre and saccharine and aimless and just ugh. Such a waste of a cool premise.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I have to pretty much agree. I liked the first two seasons a lot more, and I don't know if it's because this season is worse or if it's just because most of the stories I'm finding uninteresting. The only ones I find myself caring about at this season are Colin being a gay pro footballer and the overarching Ted vs Nate stuff. The Zava stuff was fun too but seems to be over now.

Keelys business adventures have been pretty boring, Jamie and Roys friendship is already pretty much solidified and isn't doing anything interesting. Rebecca's psychic prediction + must have a baby/find a man storyline is crap for her character imo. The rest of the team are all just there for a one liner. The only interesting thing to come from Trent being with the team was him connecting with Colin in this last episode.

I dunno it just feels like it's gone from being about the team and their lives to a bunch of side stories that are unconnected from the main plot of Richmond FC the club and team.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The prevailing theory among people who know about TV things is that Sudeikis will leave after this season and it’ll spin off into a show about Richmond and the other characters in general which explains what they’re doing but I still think they’re doing it the wrong way even if I’m ok with most of what’s happening

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"So mom, what was I saying? Oh yeah I met a nice couple who invited me to have a threesome."

This commenter at the AV Club nailed it, I think:

quote:

The plots might all feel disconnected, but I think that Ted and Beard laid out the structure of this episode and most of the season pretty well with the triangle talk. Total Football is the story structure they’re using this season. Keep the characters constantly moving, switch their roles around, divide them up into groups but have the stories touch and overlap in places and create new connections between each other.

Baron von der Loon posted:

As someone living in the Netherlands, this episode just felt surreal. So many accents. I had actually expected more "Dutch are so straightforward" jokes.

Beard's Dutch at the end was on point.

The same person also noted:

quote:

this episode was written by Brendan Hunt (Beard), who lived and worked in Amsterdam for many years. I think he met Jason Sudeikis there through Boom Chicago? They definitely worked together anyway. I think sitting in the Windy City section at the American-themed restaurant was a subtle nod to Boom Chicago. Hunt’s many years in Amsterdam are also why he speaks pretty good Dutch, and I’m sure he was able to add a bunch of details to the episode that made it feel a lot more accurate to people who are familiar with Amsterdam.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 20, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I went to Boom Chicago once. One of their scripted bits was tourists trying to cross the tram tracks and almost getting splattered over and over and when they finally make it across they just get splattered by bikes instead, so that carried over into Rebecca's storyline!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rebecca the billionaire in an Apple TV show has an android???

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That episode was absolutely amazing. Just gorgeous tales of characters and humor. Every character getting to flow to their zen and grow and recenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Seiyal posted:

Will confirm that this *so far* was my favorite episode of the season and probably series. It had some focus on people we hadn’t seen much of and still continued the other stories we’ve seen all season.

Also bless the show for going all in on that Ted scene in the restaurant.

that was one of the best Tarantino homage I think I've seen