Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 28, 1956)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Selachian posted:

I like the little blurb at the bottom too. What am I supposed to do with this information, rush out and tell my broker to invest everything in Algerian real estate?

What will you say when your child asks: "Why didn't you invest in Eastern Poland Algeria?"?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Crowni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/18/03

Brenda Starr 10/23-25/50

Those are some showgirl costumes there. New for Halloween: Sexy Solar System!

Smokey Stover 2/28/54

Everyday Movies 4/29/36

"We'll really have to buy a clock. When it rains like this I can't tell when the eggs are done because I can't make out the time by that clock on the tower."

The days when every kitchen appliance didn't come with a built-in clock!

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/21-23/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 19, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

And speaking of the many ways cartoons can betray you, a picture from above the fold on the front page.

I could only find one reference to this, which implies that it isn't true. Anyone know any more about it?

https://www.afio.com/publications/STOUT%20WWI%20Guide%202014%20July%2014%20FINAL.pdf

The United Kingdom and France, among other
World War I belligerents, underwent spy scares in the
years before the war. For instance, in France it was
widely believed that roadside advertising signs for the
popular Kub brand bouillon cubes contained coded
information from German spies that would be used by
invading armies. Such fears only proliferated after the
start of the war.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

~Coxy posted:

I could only find one reference to this, which implies that it isn't true. Anyone know any more about it?

https://www.afio.com/publications/STOUT%20WWI%20Guide%202014%20July%2014%20FINAL.pdf

start of the war.

During World War I, a German spy was trying to spy on British naval actions by sitting in a houseboat that was flying the German flag. Another German spy was busted when he attempted to send his spy discoveries back to Germany in a completely open, unencrypted letter. He wasn't aware that British intelligence was screening letters and telegrams going to Central Power areas, and thus had never even considered using any kind of code. He was immediately arrested. A third German spy was busted when the Germans attempted to send a bunch of money and spy instructions to him but sent it to the wrong address, causing the Royal Mail to pay attention to the envelope, become suspicious and alert the authorities.

Honestly, coded information on advertising signs seems to be about 10 levels above the Germans' spy efforts during World War I.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't you make new holes when you have to tighten your belt?

Entirely possible that 40s belts came with no holes at all and you just punched them as needed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My anecdotal belt buying/wearing experience for the last 20 years has been getting one with few holes at the optimal range and ~10 cm extra space in the end to puncture new ones if needed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/21-23/41

So I assume this lady is the human skeleton's mother and she wants him to leave the circus.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Green Intern posted:

So I assume this lady is the human skeleton's mother and she wants him to leave the circus.

Yeah definitely his mother and worries about her boy.

Not going to lie though, for a split second I thought she was going to be a witch. Like just introduce actual magic into the setting, why not.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I feel like having posters in france with german prices also isn't super covert. I'd imagine the moment they crossed the border every one would have been ripped down.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

~Coxy posted:

start of the war.

If this is anything to go by, we've landed in the middle of a smear campaign by L’Action Française, a French far-right group who had an ax to grind with the parent company. The theory about why this worked is the Kub brand with that big K made it sound German, so they just built a multi-year fake news campaign that claimed the Bouillon Kub Company was a German company intent on overthrowing the French government. And sure, in reality it was a French/Swiss company headquartered in Paris, but in Paris on Rue d’Allemagne. Germany Street. Oooo, makes you think, doesn't it? There was a deep state component to all this, of course, and a massive dollop of antisemitism, because 1914 Europe.

It was just a coincidence that I tripped into this the day after the Dominion lawsuit was settled.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 21, 1935)

Peanuts (April 21, 1976)

And now, back to the Crankshaft Salute To The End Of COVID, Which Has Totally Happened And Is Not Another Mirage, We Swear!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 18, 1939)

Out Our Way (August 4-6, 1941)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 19, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Thankfully, the prisoners of Camp Mescalero are treated in a humane and considerate manner, or Geronimo rivals Solid Snake at OSP, or CHAIR'D!!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

~Just Vargo things~

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i know i'm beating a dead horse about how much i hate the comic strip curtis, but for gently caress's sake you can't have curtis constantly pining for michelle and then also make asides about how curtis thinks she sucks! you can't have it both ways!! stop this!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know about the utility of learning A.I systems, but an irony of when we were growing up was that teachers encourages learning how to use graphing calculators in math class and then got mad when we learned how to write programs to do math problems for us. I kinda get it, because the entire point of math class is to learn how to do the math, but it was a "no, not like that" sort of situation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

kidcoelacanth posted:

i know i'm beating a dead horse about how much i hate the comic strip curtis, but for gently caress's sake you can't have curtis constantly pining for michelle and then also make asides about how curtis thinks she sucks! you can't have it both ways!! stop this!!!

At least Curtis isn't after her for her money.

Since he's constantly mocking her for doing the things she likes to do, often able to afford to do them with great passion.

... Yeah, even if she liked him back, what's this relationship gonna end up at? Dangit Billingsly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know about the utility of learning A.I systems, but an irony of when we were growing up was that teachers encourages learning how to use graphing calculators in math class and then got mad when we learned how to write programs to do math problems for us. I kinda get it, because the entire point of math class is to learn how to do the math, but it was a "no, not like that" sort of situation.

That’s one reason I think graphing calculators in high school are a big dumb waste of money.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(September 10, 1916)

Little Nemo(February 4. 1906)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar, my dude, this king has a hippo trophy. There's no guns, so the long distance option is only bow and arrow. I don't care if this guy commanded his entire army to take the beast down. He got it done. Don't underestimate him.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

It's Gunther. What do you think?

So when Tiff was living with Gunther to avoid being roommates with Stef it made her a huge piece of poo poo. But Bets was like, "fine, I'll live with Stef, you big baby. It's not so bad. I can handle her." But it looks like she's been living with Gunther the whole time and hasn't even spent one day being roommates with Stef? Nice.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

The "home" you're getting him to is also outside, though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

who could have any idea why none of Ed's family want to spend any time with him? gosh, what a mystery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

He is going to push him off.

Andertoons

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
just gonna murder this elderly couple for absolutely no reason

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/24-26/50

Archie 2/20-22/47

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Poor Lottie
https://tackleford.fandom.com/wiki/Fisherman%27s_Friend

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 8-10, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (January 10-12, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Foxhole Inspector (September 13, 1914)

Little Lefty is willing to present an old adversary with an opportunity. And that's about as far as he's willing to go. (May 19-21, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

just gonna murder this elderly couple for absolutely no reason

I prefer to think of it as "a one way ticket to Wilbur Island."