Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Unlucky7 posted:

I never completed SS but I did enjoy what I played. Kind of tempted to get the HD port using a eshop voucher alongside Kirby Return to Dreamland, if there are going to be callbacks to that

This was me about a week ago and I pulled the trigger. It's so clearly a "beta" version of what BotW would eventually become: the increased focus on verticality, the stamina gauge, lightweight crafting and item interactions, and a similar attempt (though much different conclusion) to challenge the question of overworld vs. dungeon

It's very stiff, the controls are such a mess, and there is a lot of filler. But I'm still having a really good time, and the vibes are just as excellent as they were back when I played it on the Wii. The dungeons are as good as you remember

also, while I don't necessarily think BotW has bad or weak music, imo SS is when the composers were at the top of their game. The way the music transitions and blends as you move between areas, the character themes (and variations), its clever use of motifs, the absolutely iconic main theme... it's so god drat masterful

Groose has eight variations of his theme. it rules so hard, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WarpDogs posted:

It's very stiff, the controls are such a mess, and there is a lot of filler. But I'm still having a really good time, and the vibes are just as excellent as they were back when I played it on the Wii. The dungeons are as good as you remember

There's a lot of truth here. There's aggravating stuff in there, but I enjoyed revisiting it especially because it was nice to go back to a real progression of solid dungeons. It's certainly messy overall, but it scratches that itch a lot more than BotW does.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wanted to ask if the DLC did much for the Rito in BotW

I remember Zora's domain being fleshed out, woven into the story pretty well and Mipha was treated with this heavy sense of gravity. Urbosa and the Gerudo too and Gorons had there moment but all I remember of the Rito is just 'hi we all live on this tree here's Teba he got shot okay bye thanks for visiting"

Like I don't recall much being done with them or their part of the game standing out much outside the divine beast flying. Even AoC I only really remember Rito warriors being in the stage where you get Revali at the very start.

The woman there on her honeymoon agreed. She said the village sucked and there was nothing to do.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The funny thing is that Hyrule is so massive in BotW and yet even for all I wandered through and explored I am so endlessly curious about what the world is like on the other side of the desert and the mountain/ravine to the north.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Revali carries the rito just fine. His demeanor towards Link makes up for everything else about the rito.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kass has a role in the DLC, and is my friend.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I actually think Groose might return, not necessarily in this game, and that if does, he'll be a different reincarnation, like Impa or Beedle.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

also, while I don't necessarily think BotW has bad or weak music, imo SS is when the composers were at the top of their game. The way the music transitions and blends as you move between areas, the character themes (and variations), its clever use of motifs, the absolutely iconic main theme... it's so god drat masterful

Groose has eight variations of his theme. it rules so hard, man

Agreed with all of this, the music in Act 1 especially was incredibly good at setting the tone of Link & Zelda’s relationship

The clip from the game’s website that was posted earlier gives me a lot of hope, it’d make a killer Hyrule Field theme

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I actually think Groose might return, not necessarily in this game, and that if does, he'll be a different reincarnation, like Impa or Beedle.

Voiced by Patrick Warburton

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 19, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
idle unrelated wondering but I've noticed that indie Zelda-like games tend to be stuck in the 2D era. The only 3D indie Zelda-like I can think of is the second Oceanhorn game.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Unlucky7 posted:

I never completed SS but I did enjoy what I played. Kind of tempted to get the HD port using a eshop voucher alongside Kirby Return to Dreamland, if there are going to be callbacks to that

I have been watching Thorn's Let's Play on it and the battle theme during the Ancient Cistern boss fight is fantastic. (Also what a tremendous boss!)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I hope Kass comes back in Tears. Hearing his accordion and knowing you're not alone, because Your Friend is near, nothing like it. :3:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Junpei posted:

idle unrelated wondering but I've noticed that indie Zelda-like games tend to be stuck in the 2D era. The only 3D indie Zelda-like I can think of is the second Oceanhorn game.

3d games are a lot more complex so it makes sense that devs with limited time, budget, and manpower would stick to 2d.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Junpei posted:

Craftopia, if you want to see the jankiest of jank.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Rito village's lacking points are made up by the Kass Everywhere system.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“Dad, is he a potato?” -My 5yo son when he first means the Goron in Skyward Sword

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 20, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does Tunic count as a 3D zelda?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Skyward Sword score had some good tracks but not on the same tier as BotW. The Skyloft theme oozes with cheese.

Albatrossy_Rodent fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 19, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

botw's strength is more in its sound design than the music itself i think

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Skyward Sword score had some good tracks but not on the same tier as BotW. The Skylight theme oozes with cheese.

how can one rodent continue to be so wrong

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Junpei posted:

there's a plateau of sorts with the tools and content pipelines available to indie devs. It's never been easier to create a 3D game, but it's still way more expensive and difficult and complicated compared to a 2D game (and I'm including "3D models in a 2D perspective" as 2D). A single person could make a basic LttP-like from scratch in probably a few months, while even something as "simple" as an OoT-like would require years and multiple people

on a more meta level, the average indie dev age isn't quite to the point where 3D games reign supreme in their nostalgia canon. Not that nostalgia is necessary for creating a Zelda-like, but it obviously helps

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Late-90s 3D as a nostalgia subject is hard to do right, because a lot of the aesthetics of that era were just a result of floundering in search of new norms, and it's way harder than it looks. The only advantage for a developer is in not needing to come up with a large amount of high-fidelity assets, which does nothing to offset the challenge of making gameplay that's simple and fun. But there are indie developers who are trying it, making things like Valkie 64.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Rito Village can pull on Dragon Roost Island for background music, it's already my favorite place to hangout just for that.

Daner T
Dec 24, 2004
What will the in the game lore reason be this game for why link doesn't speak in cutscenes, I wonder. Will they use the same reasoning they did in BotW.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Link will attempt to speak hundreds of times in ToTK but he'll be interrupted by an NPC every time

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

botw's strength is more in its sound design than the music itself i think

:hmmyes:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Age of Calamity answered why he doesn't actually talk

Man may have chased a fish but he is full of rocks. His internal organs are more goron than Hylian

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Daner T posted:

What will the in the game lore reason be this game for why link doesn't speak in cutscenes, I wonder. Will they use the same reasoning they did in BotW.

Link is too annoying and you muted him.

"It's yo' boyyyy, Link! Coming at ya from the sky islands above Hyrule! Today were going to be tackling the dive 1000 feet into Lake Hylia challenge!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

his voice is sealed in the past alongside Zelda and most of his forearm

then again, the game in which he speaks the most (WW) has NPC control in it. if there really is NPC companions or recruiting or something along those lines, then there's at least a small chance they let him say a bit more

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally I like the dialog choices that has Link be a chaotic, somewhat feral idiot.

For instance, there was at least one dialog where you can initially say Yes or No to something, then swing around to it again and choose the opposite and they would go "Didn't you just...oh nevermind"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You will ge your wish and have Link's voice. It will be the cartoon "Excuse me, Princess!" version.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You will ge your wish and have Link's voice. It will be the cartoon "Excuse me, Princess!" version.

Still better than BotW's voice acting :smugdog:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mustached Demon posted:

Revali carries the rito just fine. His demeanor towards Link makes up for everything else about the rito.

Revali has the problem of being dead however.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unlucky7 posted:

Personally I like the dialog choices that has Link be a chaotic, somewhat feral idiot.

For instance, there was at least one dialog where you can initially say Yes or No to something, then swing around to it again and choose the opposite and they would go "Didn't you just...oh nevermind"

I like how in the conversation after Link first sees the paragliding old man he can continuously ask for it at every turn. Man knows what he wants, to fly like a Rito, eat like a Goron, look like a Gerudo and gently caress like a Zora. Truly the champion of all races.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you actually see him die? Didn't think so. Everyone just assumes he's dead because of his spirit ghost.

In the year 2040, gamers will discover that if you clip through the ground, you can find Revali in a cave deep underground.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

He gives you a rusty broadsword

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

He gives you a rusty broadsword

Is that what Hyruleans call a rusty trombone?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Asterite34 posted:

oh, no

it's far worse

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Kass’ ears perk up, though he doesn’t know why

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does Kass have perkable ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

He lives on in my heart whenever someone doesn't use their turn signal or takes their sweet time ordering off a menu.