Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The 7th Guest posted:

also jaiden's vtuber rig is basically for streaming games and such, she still does animations for her main channel. but there was always crossover with gaming to begin with since a number of her animations involved getting into speedrunning, blindfolded SMW, pokemon nuzlocke, etc

I'm surprised her vtuber rig isn't based off her youtube character. It feels like that's her brand. Her, Ross and his girlfriend surprised her in that VR game one day with an entire VR model of her character and it looked great. I would've figured she'd do something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Sydin posted:

FLCL is so good at capturing the chaos and confusion of the adolescent/early teenager phase that if you watch it at that age you vibe with it extremely hard without really understanding why.

Yeah, it's weird to look back at it and realize how (embarrassingly) formative it was for me. Just the right intersection of like preteen anxiety on the cusp of teenaged angst and that expectation of being more grown up when all of the adults you know don't seem to be very adult.

Anyway my personal attachment to FLCL aside that video was a good assessment of the way it felt to watch as a kid and sticks with you. Also the soundtrack still fuckin slaps.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Anime importers have gotten a lot better over the years at bringing over a wider variety of anime that's both not targeted to the teenage demographic nor wildly derivide of what's gone before.

Like, there's anime based around actual adults! One of my favorites is Wotokoi were adults are doing adult things like trying to balence work with being complete loving nerds.

And I can't imagine something like "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" where a woman has a mental breakdown, quits her job, and tries to find a more fufilling life though a new MMO but also finds love and friendship is targeted to teenagers either.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its just more that pretty much everything gets imported these days except for a few random oddities.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

Fight Knight. oh man. I was so excited for this game. and then the creator turned out to be a huge unapologetic piece of poo poo. what a bummer

Overbite posted:

I backed Broken Age, Carmageddon, and Indivisible. They all came out and for some reason carmageddon was the best one. Indivisible could have been good but then the studio imploded before they could fix it.

Wow, I remember the videos the Super Best Friends made to play early builds of both of those games. How were they to know? At least Pat went overboard apologizing for how much they hyped up Mighty No. 9.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

Cucumber Quest...a really fantastic comic series, whose creator ran three successful KSes to make books for...and then one day said "ok I'm quitting thanks for supporting it but I'm done now" and bailed on the entire series. great!

i'll go to bat for gigi (cq creator) here: they DO plan to finish the story of cucumber quest in a non-comic format at some point, but were daunted by the realization that the comic was going to eat up the next decade of their professional output, which, imo, is understandable when you have other ambitions

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1648676542090817537

People being normal about Contra on Twitter again I see

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Reminds me of how people acted after Lindsay dropped that one video about all of her various "controversies". So many people who react to being proven wrong by going "well if I don't watch it, I can't technically be wrong". Loser poo poo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That loving nerd Hussie kept going on about that Sarah Z video on Homestuck, without actually watching it. What a waste of time that was.

That Sunnyv2 video (the transphobic garbage one) was so bad it actually summoned D'angelo Wallace out the mountain he was sleeping in. He was planning to release a deep-dive video before the end of the month anyway. Which should be worth looking into depsite likely covering the kind of subject matter I wouldn't give a poo poo about otherwise,

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That loving nerd Hussie kept going on about that Sarah Z video on Homestuck, without actually watching it. What a waste of time that was.

That entire debacle was probably the thing that really pulled back the curtain on Hussie and made me realize how much of their mystique has just been self marketing and trying to spin their every action into being part of some grand master plan rather than just a prolonged case of someone making poo poo up as they went along. In this day and age so much of Hussie's personality just feels directly rooted in that brand of detached, late 2000s era irony where someone puts an immense amount of effort and care into curating the image of someone who doesn't care about their image. So much of their correspondence with Sarah reeked of "Look, I made a bunch of stupid decisions that seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but I am so deeply rooted in this online persona I've constructed for myself that I'm physically incapable of openly stating that because.".

It really makes me appreciate how the pendulum swung the other way over the 2010s and being actually genuine and sincere started to become a thing people were allowed to do again.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The spectre of the SarahZ video hung over my entire experience listening to Homestuck Made This World to the point where I almost wanted to ask in their end-of-series Q&A if Micheal had seen it and what he thought, but didn't want to risk the video overtaking their assessment of Hussie as an author and personality, in regards to just Homestuck as a whole. In the end I think that video had more to do with the development of the game and HMTW didn't really touch on the game very much.

That video is so baffling and says so much about Hussie himself that I feel like any current discussions about Homestuck might do well to at least touch on it, but I couldn't really explain why.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

The spectre of the SarahZ video hung over my entire experience listening to Homestuck Made This World to the point where I almost wanted to ask in their end-of-series Q&A if Micheal had seen it and what he thought, but didn't want to risk the video overtaking their assessment of Hussie as an author and personality, in regards to just Homestuck as a whole. In the end I think that video had more to do with the development of the game and HMTW didn't really touch on the game very much.

That video is so baffling and says so much about Hussie himself that I feel like any current discussions about Homestuck might do well to at least touch on it, but I couldn't really explain why.

Honestly same, to the point that I feel like Hussie's interactions with Sarah provide some much needed context to a lot of the stranger ideas that HMTW highlights Hussie bringing up in interviews and post-author commentaries. In particular, I found Hussie frequently falling back on this bizarre idea of the story of Homestuck being something that just sort of coalesced independent of any decisions on their part as a creator makes a lot more sense when you see them trying to project the façade of puppet master onto themselves in real time in the Sarah Z emails. It basically makes me realize that this "The story just happens" theory Hussie brings up in the author commentaries is not so much a proper reflection on their views on authorship and the creative process, so much as a convenient way for them to abdicate responsibility for any of the comic's more questionable or poorly received narrative decisions.

I think it's especially telling that Hussie typically only brings up this concept when talking about parts of the comic that weren't well received, whereas the more universally praised parts of the comic are emphatically stated to have been long-reaching master plans on Hussie's part that everyone should have seen coming. And that, I think, actually gives a much more clear insight into the actual creative process behind the comic: Throw a bunch of random poo poo against the wall in the first couple of acts, let the audience start speculating, then start connecting the dots in a way to convince people you had everything planned out from the beginning.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Especially when you add in the whole "casually borrowed ideas from fan speculation" admittance that HMTW brought up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I did a video. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MOz2M_Gvs

What starts as an iteration on the cartoon giant robot formula takes a hard left turn midway through when the show reveals a complex system of feudalism and racial slavery which underpins the alien invader's society. Deciding that its not enough to only protect the Earth, the protagonists join the revolution of laborers and plot to overthrow the monarchy. It's a show that's a clear influence on the later Gundam, and through a weird confluence of events would become wildly popular in the Philippians.

I honestly don't know if or how much any of this appeals to the folks here, but Toei had the video delisted for copyright infringement and I went through enough trouble getting it back up that I'm absolutely telling loving everyone about it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

I havent been following JKR dumbshit adventures for a while and that Death Eaters comparison... that woman is not well in the head

I get the Death Eater comparison, but its like the most surface-level "Hitler breathed air, so you're as bad as Hitler for breathing air" comparison possible lol woman's a dumbass

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly same, to the point that I feel like Hussie's interactions with Sarah provide some much needed context to a lot of the stranger ideas that HMTW highlights Hussie bringing up in interviews and post-author commentaries. In particular, I found Hussie frequently falling back on this bizarre idea of the story of Homestuck being something that just sort of coalesced independent of any decisions on their part as a creator makes a lot more sense when you see them trying to project the façade of puppet master onto themselves in real time in the Sarah Z emails. It basically makes me realize that this "The story just happens" theory Hussie brings up in the author commentaries is not so much a proper reflection on their views on authorship and the creative process, so much as a convenient way for them to abdicate responsibility for any of the comic's more questionable or poorly received narrative decisions.

I think it's especially telling that Hussie typically only brings up this concept when talking about parts of the comic that weren't well received, whereas the more universally praised parts of the comic are emphatically stated to have been long-reaching master plans on Hussie's part that everyone should have seen coming. And that, I think, actually gives a much more clear insight into the actual creative process behind the comic: Throw a bunch of random poo poo against the wall in the first couple of acts, let the audience start speculating, then start connecting the dots in a way to convince people you had everything planned out from the beginning.
I think it's got to be hard especially when you have a large, intense fanbase who demand you rationalize every single narrative decision you make that it might be easier to just say "I had it planned this way the whole time", even when a lot of the time that isn't the case. Yeah, you might have a lot of the big things planned from the start, but things change as you write; sometimes you change your mind and come up with something different. Writing stories is weird, and writing serially can be especially difficult, on top of the fact you have weird, combative fans who demand you "give homestuck back to the fanbase", or whatever that person said to him.

I wonder if the video might come up when they talk about Psycolonials, since that game is most definitely about Hussie and his experience with Homestuck. I'd be especially curious of Micheal's take on the whole thing, as I don't think Cameron will particularly care.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 20, 2023

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What's Homestuck?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

a mistake

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This but with the SBURB music playing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sburban Trainwreck

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Quick banger from Red Means Recording / Jeremy Blake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSppFuyFJSo

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

rodbeard posted:

What's Homestuck?

Is that the guy with the boxing gloves and funny voice?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rodbeard posted:

What's Homestuck?
Not much, what's homestuck with you?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingKalamari posted:

That entire debacle was probably the thing that really pulled back the curtain on Hussie and made me realize how much of their mystique has just been self marketing and trying to spin their every action into being part of some grand master plan rather than just a prolonged case of someone making poo poo up as they went along.

this is like the entire history of franchise media lol. like this describes 90% of the history of mainstream comic books

not saying it's like good but this isn't some uniquely weird or stupid thing, a great deal of serial pop-culture operates this way. this has nothing to do with "late 00s irony" it's just show business

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 20, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is like the entire history of franchise media lol. like this describes 90% of the history of mainstream comic books

not saying it's like good but this isn't some uniquely weird or stupid thing, a great deal of serial pop-culture operates this way. this has nothing to do with "late 00s irony" it's just show business

The difference is that franchise media has that type of writing process imposed upon it by the nature of the format. Mainstream comic books are a good example because they are explicitly produced by a rotating crew of freelance writers making short term contributions to a single property that is supposed to have a singular, ongoing story. Homestuck is kind of in a different position because it's a more creator-helmed project (At least at first, the comic became increasingly more collaborative as it went on, though it still always had the structure of having Hussie as the driving creative force making the big decisions) which is a type of media that typically allows for a greater degree of pre-planning and presenting a story with a more cohesive beginning, middle and end.

I'd also argue that, outside of the medium of comics, this idea of franchise media being assembled piecemeal from the contributions of many different writers making it up as they go along while trying to present the illusion of a cohesive, pre-plotted narrative is itself a relatively new phenomenon in the pop culture landscape: While the idea of a work created by many hands is not a new concept, older media created in this format has typically either been produced in a more episodic format, or has at the very least have not tried to foster the fiction in the audience that they are watching a show with a pre-determined plot whose twists can be predicted in advance by close scrutiny in the way they can with a more creator-driven, or self-contained work. While there have some examples of this format that have shown up in pop culture beforehand, this idea of a show having the kayfabe of having a predetermined plot didn't really take off in a big way in our media landscape until the success of Lost in the mid-2000s.

The other difference is that the persona Hussie has curated for themselves is itself an element that is heavily integrated into Homestuck as a media object. Even beyond the point where Hussie actually appears as a character in the story, their repartee with the audience is a major cornerstone to the reading experience in a way you don't traditionally see in actual franchise works.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

rodbeard posted:

What's Homestuck?

Home stuck these nuts into your mouth LMAO!!!!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
basically homestuck was goated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ariong posted:

Home stuck these nuts into your mouth LMAO!!!!!

This

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Who hasn't been goatsed at this point?

E: misread your post

rodbeard fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 20, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Let's be honest, 90s-late00s ironic affectation can still get absolutely hosed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Pachylad posted:

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1648676542090817537

People being normal about Contra on Twitter again I see

I did giggle that this was about Vaush of all people.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

This seems like a relevant place to ask this:
Raycon is a drop shipping scam right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

This seems like a relevant place to ask this:
Raycon is a drop shipping scam right?

everything that advertises through youtube and podcast ads are scams

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Alaois posted:

everything that advertises through youtube and podcast ads are scams

this

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My favorite is the Keto cereal one that I now know costs 9 dollars a box now that it’s in my local grocery store.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I think there are a very small selection of items that have Youtube/Podcast ads that are *not* scams... but it has to be stuff that's both a concrete thing that also has a subjective element to it. I know "Offhand Disney" frequently has ads for "The Magic Candle Company" that makes candles that smell like Disney attractions. With the exception of maybe one or two things that Disney nerds *know* what they smell like - boat attraction water smells like bromide solution used to treat it, the scene with the elephants in Soaring is just the scent of grass clippings - it's all subjective stuff like the "Haunted" and "Space Coaster" scents.

EDIT: Also I think the WDW News Today ads for the travel agents are not scams, because planning for Disney vacations is so nightmarish at this point you need to do a ton of research to figure out what you need to do and how distant from your vacation you need to do it at. But that's more YMMV, as it's really hard to gauge the effectiveness of travel agents beyond "did they take my money and run."

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 20, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i got a candle from them that smelled like the fog from halloween horror nights

10/10 would sniff again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:drat:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1649191520883429376

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Lost my drat poo poo at these accusations of plaigarism

https://twitter.com/iilluminaughtii/status/1649141231925215233?t=Xm-8_GoD9dbPwvpaIOSWRw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What's So Great About That strikes while the discourse is hot on Dear Evan Hansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqn0RzYXuzc