Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You can just play the entirely superior elder kings 2 mod instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Name the good mods.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

You can just play the entirely superior elder kings 2 mod instead.

i dont know enough about elder scrolls lore to get into it tbh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Name the good mods.

WTWSMS (because I did research)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The good ending

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

Name the good mods.

Warcraft: Guardians of Azeroth for CK2

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the placement of corinth in stainless steel i bothering me a lot

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

the game of thrones mod for crusader kings 3 releases tomorrow. i am looking forward to this. thank you for reading.

Thank u 4 sharing

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

Thank u 4 sharing

you are welcome kirbykhan. i hope you have fun playing it, if you choose to. i sure will.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

there's some spicy content in the new V3 patch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone still playing Terra Invicta? Has it gotten any big changes since release?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

palindrome posted:

I can appreciate the efficiency but it seems safer and more reliable to have all train tracks be one-way only. You'd rarely have head-on collisions that way. Just appropriate a few meters of extra land along the lines.

yeah this stops being an option once your network expands enough to need more trains than you can have single-train routes to cover. Like if you're sending more freight trains to a customs house than it has platforms for

also lol at the kulak event in V3

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i constantly keep getting annoyed by the lack of economic adjustments i can do to other people in vicky 3 especially when im overproducing grain so hard the price collapses

furniture too for that matter

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like you're wasting too much time making basic necessities instead of developing industrial capacity even more.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i mean i suppose i can just not open palm slam the latest and coolest production method but i need to keep the fertilizer factories profitable

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fertilizer factories are for making high yield explosives. So you can blow the tops off of mountains and get at even more of those sweet metals and minerals.

Also construction.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

You need chain signals to get trains to use both of the tracks in a station. Otherwise the one train just sits there waiting until the other one leaves. Very inefficient.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Regiments had an update that added some new regiments, including Poles.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1109680/view/6870846092116562561?l=english

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm giving The New Order mod for HoI4 a shot because a bunch of people were singing its praises. It's kind of interesting, it really wants to just be about politics and the war stuff is in the background, which makes using HoI4 kind of funny but whatever. There's a whole economic system in place that ties your production output to GDP, and GDP is tied to your national spending and defecit. You grow your GDP by defecit spending, but too far and you risk financial crisis. I don't know if it's intentional or not but mimicking keynesian/post-keynesian thinking for a mod set in 1962 is pretty appropriate.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As people say TNO isn't really a game and more of a text based adventure game. You can press buttons and numbers will go up or down, but it's not important and doesn't make sense, it's just there to make you feel like you're doing something.

Edit: personally I prefer Kaiserreich for trying to make the story and gameplay work together instead of just pretending one of those things exists, but in reality it doesn't.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I couldn't get into hoi4 because it seems like it wants to be about politics when it sucks at that, and it's actually about logistics but also kinda sucks at that too

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i cant really do tno, too much text, not enough actual gameplay. like clickign national focuses and reading event text is not the most fun part of hoi4.

the cold war iron curtain mod is pretty fun. theres meant to be a big update coming at some point with among other things a bunch more successors to stalin.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well the regular HoI4 version isn't so much about politics as teams. You have the red team, the blue team, and the brown team. On historical focus setting it's the red and blue team beating up the brown team. But with it off teams can flip around and can get very messy.

Mods on the other hand are just whatever brand on insanity the developers are into.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

Regiments had an update that added some new regiments, including Poles.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1109680/view/6870846092116562561?l=english

I like it, though it has a long way to go. Plenty of Polish and DDR stuff still absent. So far I prefer it over WARNO.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

As people say TNO isn't really a game and more of a text based adventure game. You can press buttons and numbers will go up or down, but it's not important and doesn't make sense, it's just there to make you feel like you're doing something.

Edit: personally I prefer Kaiserreich for trying to make the story and gameplay work together instead of just pretending one of those things exists, but in reality it doesn't.

Yeah that's what I'm finding. I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing with political power.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
HoI4's not really about politics or logistics, it's just a slightly groggified WWII game. I think it has a decent scope and breadth of mechanics so that it's not all tactical dice rolling or all abstracted production. Naval and air stuff is notably underbaked but oh well, what games get that right?

TNO is a visual novel where war is another minigame, alongside the weird bespoke stuff every country gets. Get out of it if you don't like the writing. It used to be funnier and looser, but imo the mod team is bloating up with overactive mediocre writers. I enjoyed the couple times I played it.

I like the mods with new maps best because it gets stale running over Europe, or god forbid the USA, for the umpteenth time. They also just go wild for whatever reason. The Game of Thrones and LOTR mod are fun and short romps. The New Vegas mod was also pretty neat, though it got kinda bloated with Mexico. And funnily enough the MLP mod is high quality too

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I like it, though it has a long way to go. Plenty of Polish and DDR stuff still absent. So far I prefer it over WARNO.

The next DLC is supposed to have a full Polish and UK roster iirc. But yeah, it's a good game. I like how it's all about positioning, suppression, and force concentration.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I got Second Front and these scenarios seem hard????

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stairmaster posted:

I have yet to beat a single one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

I beat two and it's been downhill from there

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oh thank God it's not just me

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
lmao if you did not break your strategy game teeth on squad leader as a child and thus this is like riding a particularly pro SS bike

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

HoI4's not really about politics or logistics, it's just a slightly groggified WWII game. I think it has a decent scope and breadth of mechanics so that it's not all tactical dice rolling or all abstracted production. Naval and air stuff is notably underbaked but oh well, what games get that right?

TNO is a visual novel where war is another minigame, alongside the weird bespoke stuff every country gets. Get out of it if you don't like the writing. It used to be funnier and looser, but imo the mod team is bloating up with overactive mediocre writers. I enjoyed the couple times I played it.

I like the mods with new maps best because it gets stale running over Europe, or god forbid the USA, for the umpteenth time. They also just go wild for whatever reason. The Game of Thrones and LOTR mod are fun and short romps. The New Vegas mod was also pretty neat, though it got kinda bloated with Mexico. And funnily enough the MLP mod is high quality too

old world blues is pretty fun

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Old World Blues is a real hit or miss because it's a lot more buggy and unfinished than some other mods, and it's also a lot more focused on painting the map.

The quality in rather uneven with it, but the big major tags/countries in recent updates have been pretty good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stairmaster posted:

Oh thank God it's not just me

It really isn't. The first American scenario I take heavy losses and OPFOR always seems to hit harder and more accurately than mine ever can. I understand I'm the attacker and need to use suppressive fire but I can never quite get that to work out. At least for the first couple scenarios I could use a couple more units, armor, or smoke fire missions or something to ease the ramp up.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

Yes I think the trick is you have to get enemy soldiers to rout into the field of fire of your other troops to get kills but I gave up before I got the hang of it.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Apr 21, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the way owb is set up screams for a victoria 3 mod somewhere down the line.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've yet to play second front but it looked like turn based close combat to me

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I'm giving The New Order mod for HoI4 a shot because a bunch of people were singing its praises. It's kind of interesting, it really wants to just be about politics and the war stuff is in the background, which makes using HoI4 kind of funny but whatever. There's a whole economic system in place that ties your production output to GDP, and GDP is tied to your national spending and defecit. You grow your GDP by defecit spending, but too far and you risk financial crisis. I don't know if it's intentional or not but mimicking keynesian/post-keynesian thinking for a mod set in 1962 is pretty appropriate.

i haven't played TNO for a couple of years (and as i understand it there's been tons of mod drama in the mean time so it's probably completely different now) but the first release version had some of the worst politics i've ever seen for an ostensibly anti-nazi game. freeing central africa from nazi occupation was a trap choice, because those darned africans couldn't help but descend into brutal civil wars as soon as they could self-govern. i think it was all supposed to be a metaphor for the iraq war or something but... just no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I've yet to play second front but it looked like turn based close combat to me

This is adorable