Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Slavvy posted:

Where do you think all those Ford rangers come from?

Just wanted to say that I often fall into this trap of being jealous of people with nice cars or boats when they are seemingly less well off than I am and I have a decade old car and think "How can they afford a nice car???". But more likely they are buying it with a loan of some kind and anyone in employment could have that nice car at least temporarily, and we just choose to buy an old car to save money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bobbilljim posted:

Just wanted to say that I often fall into this trap of being jealous of people with nice cars or boats when they are seemingly less well off than I am and I have a decade old car and think "How can they afford a nice car???". But more likely they are buying it with a loan of some kind and anyone in employment could have that nice car at least temporarily, and we just choose to buy an old car to save money

The other thing when you're used to buying cheaper cars is you only either pay cash, or see the rates on used car finance, which is loving dismal compared to what you can (or at least, could get) on new cars.

poo poo, for a while you could even buy a McLaren interest free.

Obviously there are even more advantages if you can jam it through your business accounts too.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't really mind people owning cars nicer than mine

I am envious of people who own their own home. I can't pursue a VA hobby without a studio.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don’t get jealous of people’s status symbol cars but I do decide who I let into traffic based on how fancy their car and neighbourhood are. Boomer guy in a Porsche Cheyenne or a rich looking lady driving a convertible in Redcliffs? You’re waiting for a gap. Mum with an old sedan full of kids in Woolston? Yeah I’ll let you in.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Man I wish housing was attainable.
We've got like 150k deposit, but houses in our area or within "can reasonably get to work in 1h.30 commute" would put our fortnightly repayments at close on 3 grand.

Not really sure what we're going to do long term. It's only a matter of time until rent catches up and we're just as hosed. Australia maybe?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I've been thinking of shifting to Australia, but there's no use there for a guy in his 30s who only has real skill with NZ payroll.

If I get Chartered or CPA, though...

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Spiteski posted:

We've got like 150k deposit, but houses in our area or within "can reasonably get to work in 1h.30 commute" would put our fortnightly repayments at close on 3 grand.

Not really sure what we're going to do long term. It's only a matter of time until rent catches up and we're just as hosed. Australia maybe?
Yeah it's always just out of reach. Now I can probably get approval to almost buy a kind of lovely but liveable house, 4 years ago I could almost get approval to buy a lovely but liveable house. In that time my income has gone up just enough to keep me in the almost able to buy category. Meanwhile we've moved 3 times from rental to rental. Fortunately we've been renting cheap but our luck is going to run out next time we move (likely in the next year)

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Stolen from the Auspol thread but house prices in Sydney are also ridiculous. Also I heard a rumour that the country is full of filthy Aussies, so while you might have a house you would get cooties.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Of the two of my mates that moved to Brisbane, both of them bought houses. And get laid on the regular.

I should've left the country in 2008, gently caress me.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That's me except not Australia. At that time my plan was to save money, come back and buy a house lmao

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Of the two of my mates that moved to Brisbane, both of them bought houses. And get laid on the regular.

I should've left the country in 2008, gently caress me.

Cooties

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bobbilljim posted:

The point of being irritated by the Ford rangers is they're buying or leasing them through a business, which is a huge tax advantage compared to someone who is on paye

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

WarpedNaba posted:

gently caress me.

Regularly? In this economy?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

There's definitely a "that's just anecdotal" about all of this but like 8 people in my field has gone overseas to aussie in the last few years and all of them have gone to buy a house and make pretty much twice what I'm on while still working the same level of responsibility. Whereas I have cracked a "well paying" senior role and have all sorts of responsibilities and still barely head above water.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's no secret that almost every job pays better in Aus for the same work, I have like an endless parade of doctor acquaintances popping over for a triple-pay tour, while 20 years ago a different set of friends where piling over for hospo jobs.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I have some friends who did 2 years teaching English in UAE to save up for a house, and now are thinking about going back for another 2 because mortgage payments are so much worse now, even though they kind of hated living there.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Makes you wonder why pay is comparatively so low here for a lot of jobs. Sure some countries have far worse environmental protections and job safety laws and so on but there's plenty of money in NZ business. Are we all just too weak to negotiate better pay? I mean I know I am

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

Makes you wonder why pay is comparatively so low here for a lot of jobs. Sure some countries have far worse environmental protections and job safety laws and so on but there's plenty of money in NZ business. Are we all just too weak to negotiate better pay? I mean I know I am

Specifically in comparison to Australia it's because they kept all their labour protections and collective bargaining processes and we threw ours out in the neoliberal reforms 35 years ago. Until then pay was pretty comparable in both countries.

Honestly the damage Roger Douglas and co did to this country is wild.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

I would posit that rather than being "weak" we as a country have been very efficiently conditioned towards bad fiscal policy over the last forty or so years. Probably enhanced by our ideology moving more into sync with the US. Thatcher, Reagan and our very own Roger Douglas are the easiest to point fingers at.

RNZ had an article on Strikes, protests and collective action recently. One point was that around 17% are unionised today, compared to 57.5% in 1979. Unions also used to heavily influence the Labour party as a result.

Stats NZ has figures on household assets, the top twenty percent account for 62 percent, conversely the bottom 20% account for 1%. Inequality seems to be growing over time too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bill English also spent the entire decade he was finance minister trying to run NZ as a low-wage economy as part of a plan to attract foreign investment in industry. Oh hey, and John Key despite all his "high wage" talk also directly destroyed worker and union protections that enabled them to actually bargain for those high wages. The reality is that the vaunted low-wage economy never came into effect because no international company wants to locate their low-wage jobs in a corner of the world where all those gains would be immediately eaten up and exceeded by shipping costs but we still got the low-wages.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

bobbilljim posted:

https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per-hour-worked.htm

An Australian worker produces an estimated $57 USD of value an hour when they work, ahead of Canada and slightly behind Finland. A Kiwi worker produces around $43 worth of value, putting us amongst the former Soviet countries (behind Poland and Lithuania, but hey, we're barely beating Hungary and Estonia :unsmith:). NZ businesses and our economy in general don't have 'plenty of money' compared to Australia, they're a solid quarter to a third behind, same as our workers. Compared to who we think of as our peers (like CANZUK), we work significantly more hours for lower pay to make up for our abysmal productivity, and have local capital diverted to real estate or invested overseas out of lack of productive uses.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
too many small businesses

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Awif3Ec.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cHGXhpb.mp4

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 20, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
why is hosking british

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

exmarx posted:

too many small businesses

Well, I'm working in one that's looking to die around about the end of May (Die faster you assholes I don't want a contract extension)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

lol, have a sook, oval office.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

13 photos and that was the best one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

bobbilljim posted:

We're maybe the premier global poster child for extreme neo-liberal reforms.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Winston Peters is probably calling him right now.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Yuiiut posted:

https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per-hour-worked.htm

An Australian worker produces an estimated $57 USD of value an hour when they work, ahead of Canada and slightly behind Finland. A Kiwi worker produces around $43 worth of value, putting us amongst the former Soviet countries (behind Poland and Lithuania, but hey, we're barely beating Hungary and Estonia :unsmith:). NZ businesses and our economy in general don't have 'plenty of money' compared to Australia, they're a solid quarter to a third behind, same as our workers. Compared to who we think of as our peers (like CANZUK), we work significantly more hours for lower pay to make up for our abysmal productivity, and have local capital diverted to real estate or invested overseas out of lack of productive uses.

Oof.

Reading all the replies, very informative if depressing so thanks. I should try and get a remote job that's overseas I guess haha

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I keep being ok and then suddenly I get mad or upset that Labour didn't do anything their whole term because people said or might say mean things about them.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I keep being ok and then suddenly I get mad or upset that Labour didn't do anything their whole term because people said or might say mean things about them.

Labour being better than the alternative in no way implies they are a desirable option. On the other hand, sexism and the National candidate selection policy may give them a chance to let you down for another term.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
For sure, I'll vote Green and maybe they'll get to be part of another ineffective coalition.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
labourishly:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Isnt half the NZ economy effectively various industries centred around housing speculation? Gee I wonder if there could be a negative effect on productivity resulting from that

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Progressive JPEG posted:

Isnt half the NZ economy effectively various industries centred around housing speculation? Gee I wonder if there could be a negative effect on productivity resulting from that

6.2%

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Capital gains on property aren't counted in GDP. Housing sales (like all goods) only count when the house is first built and sold. Resales don't count.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm just picturing all the ancillary stuff like sales commissions, mortgage interest, tradie vehicles and the fuel they use to drive in circles all day, property managers, legal services, media coverage e.g. house flipping shows being broadcast at all times day or night, insurance premiums, building materials, accountants, ... and the apparently vast advertising budgets for all of these

I think I'm remembering this article from before the crash