Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

toadee posted:

Anyone else just having a much better ranked experience this season?

I'm still a pretty new player (this will be my third season ever playing Overwatch), but after two seasons of being hard stuck high bronze/low silver, I started this at Bronze 3 and I'm now Gold 2 with a 67% win rate, thinking Plat is going to be a pretty realistic goal. I don't know if there are matchmaking changes helping things, or if something really just clicked and I made a big jump but I'm just kind of riding the wave. I guess, analyzing it, the biggest difference to me seems to be I am getting a better grasp of overall what is happening during a game, and as a support I'm far more often already sending heals to things that are about to get hit instead of just reacting. I'm not saying I'm some super game genius or anything, but I guess maybe the jump is all down to gaining better game sense. Still it feels like I've just had more comfy matches, far far far fewer leavers, no trolling throwers etc.

I have been getting obliterated after the SRs bumped back up. I also have had 2 leavers on my team in 10 games and lots of people "coaching", so it seems worse for me. I'm sure it will stabilize after I derank a little.

e: to be fair I am playing support, which I haven't played in a few seasons. Positioning is hard.

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im having a much better season but im mostly attributing it to remembering that AD strafing exists

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i did it i'm a dva main now

https://i.imgur.com/yD0UpKE.mp4

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
Since the new season began, I've played maybe 60 or 70 matches, with about 20 good games and the rest evenly split between winstomps and losestomps. The losestomps seem to be mostly from leavers, random afkers, and having a single bronze 5 player in a plat lobby.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Just casually grinding QP and I got maybe five wins in four hours of playing last night. Doesn't feel much different than from OW2 release. I used to at least place in comp since OW1 but I don't anymore. Ranked Mystery Heroes brought me back but now that it's gone I'll probably quit again once I finish the BP unless my normal duo wants to keep playing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So if you have the "Role Challenger" title it means you ranked in that role right? Just checking because I just had a grandmaster and master in my QP game and it was enough to make me stop playing OW and go do something else for a while.

I know they may not be playing their grandmaster role or character or whatever but come the gently caress on.

For reference I'm Gold.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

An enemy Hanzo typed “ez” in chat after the first fight.

We came back and won.

Then he starts crying about trash healer no heals lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

PantsBandit posted:

So if you have the "Role Challenger" title it means you ranked in that role right? Just checking because I just had a grandmaster and master in my QP game and it was enough to make me stop playing OW and go do something else for a while.

I know they may not be playing their grandmaster role or character or whatever but come the gently caress on.

For reference I'm Gold.

yeah i had a gm ranked dps playing tank with me in gold the other day with the title and it was an absolute massacre despite most of the opposing team being diamond in their roles. he was super fun and supportive and i forget sometimes how much people who are genuinely good at the game are incredibly non toxic. it helps that a good tank makes support a lot easier as a role

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

An enemy Hanzo typed “ez” in chat after the first fight.

We came back and won.

Then he starts crying about trash healer no heals lol

You know my man was slamming "I NEED HEALING"

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

PantsBandit posted:

For reference I'm Gold.

Doesn't mean they're that rank in the role they're in in your game, and they can further skew it by grouping with much lower rank friends.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Aexo posted:

Doesn't mean they're that rank in the role they're in in your game, and they can further skew it by grouping with much lower rank friends.

Even if someone isn't grandmaster in their particular role you can pretty much assume they have good to great aim and a ton of game sense. It doesn't make me feel much better that they might be slightly less versed in a particular character's play.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mercy's gun actually does decent dps.

all you'd have to do is increase weapon swap speed, but seeing their mercy shoot would tilt the worst kind of ladder player

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sounds like it's mainly QP that's broken matchmaking which sucks because what I like to play is QP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Comp matchmaking also sucks.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Rick posted:

Sounds like it's mainly QP that's broken matchmaking which sucks because what I like to play is QP.

From my experience, the group matchmaking in QP is particularly awful and it's pretty clear they need to MMR-match tanks regardless of "group mmr" differences. A good tank can effectively solo carry a team. Those are the games where the tank has 2-3x the damage and elims of his dps.

This is more or less my experience with my friends' group (2 diamonds + 2 plats). Feels like most games in Comp are close, while QP is a stomp in either direction. Biggest QP mismatches are dive tank (especially masters+ doomfist) or high rank mccree + low rank pocket. What confuses me is the Comp queues are usually the same length as QP.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Group matchmaking seems to heavily focus on matching party size over MMR averages. 2-3 people you'll likely get a decent enough match in comp or QP, but 4+ going back to OW1 it just feels like the wild west of either getting turbo-hosed or spending your time in voice with your buds waiting for the enemy team to respawn and feed one at a time.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I got some sort of pass or bundle with my new video card for this so I figured it's a good time to check out OW2. What's a good newbie character to start off with? I played some OW1 years ago but I don't remember much.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

I got some sort of pass or bundle with my new video card for this so I figured it's a good time to check out OW2. What's a good newbie character to start off with? I played some OW1 years ago but I don't remember much.

if you're not great at aiming theres Torbjorn, Mei, Symmetra, and Junkrat for damage. Mercy is probably the easiest healer to heal with, while I'd say moira is typically the best healer at staying alive (who also doesn't rely much on aim)

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Tagichatn posted:

What's a good newbie character to start off with?

d0grent posted:

Torbjorn, Mei, Symmetra, and Junkrat for damage. Mercy is probably the easiest healer to heal with, while I'd say moira is typically the best healer at staying alive (who also doesn't rely much on aim)

Tank: Reinhardt. Sigma is also a great tank if you get decent with aiming his projectiles. I wouldn't recommend tanking in OW2 until you've played a week or so, as it feels faster pace than OW1. You have to play around cover more, because there's no offtank to cover you when your shields break.

Damage: Mei and Torb are both great with poor aim, and also quite tanky with their abilities. If you want to practice your aim, play Soldier and (probably) lower your mouse sensitivity so one horizontal mouse swipe is a 180-degree turn (I'm lazy and do 270-degree turn since I play a lot of flankers). Symmetra is aim-dependent these days. Her beam requires tracking and her orb (right-click charge attack) requires prediction. Beginner Junkrats are only effective in maps with narrow corridors/chokes (eg Kings' row).

Support: Mercy is easiest, followed by Moira (as dogrent mentioned). Honestly just play whichever support you enjoy, I think only Ana really requires aiming (you should usually be healing with right-click/scope), and the heal hitbox is incredibly forgiving.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

van fem posted:

I think only Ana really requires aiming (you should usually be healing with right-click/scope), and the heal hitbox is incredibly forgiving.

Bap is the most aim intensive IMO

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

sym and junk aren't as forgiving as mei/torb but in beginner lobbies the sym turrets do a lot of work, and junkrat just has a stupidly effective ult.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd say early players should focus on support, just because you can sit back and watch your teammates do stupid poo poo and learn what stupid poo poo to not do. Also keeps you from blaming the healers for things that are probably your fault.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

d0grent posted:

sym and junk aren't as forgiving as mei/torb but in beginner lobbies the sym turrets do a lot of work, and junkrat just has a stupidly effective ult.

Junk ult is great at low ranks because no one can figure out that you can listen to hear where it's coming from and then shoot it. They simply refuse!

Also dang p. significant changes for LW already

https://twitter.com/GW_Alec/status/1649128886301782017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Parting Gift was hilariously useless.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tagichatn posted:

I don't know if you linked your account or not, but you'll be trained to a very limited selection until you do.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PantsBandit posted:

Parting Gift was hilariously useless.

I mean I guess it was Fine as an occasional bonus but why did they ever let it heal enemies?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I imagine it was them repurposing the script from Reaper's old healing orbs. Which are long, long gone for the best.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions! I did ok with Reinhardt.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I mean I guess it was Fine as an occasional bonus but why did they ever let it heal enemies?

Yeah by my description an ability that you can't actively work into strategy is useless, but it becomes objectively useless when they let them heal enemies.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does competitive mmr work? I'm trying it and i'm with platinums getting dunked.

edit: lol was against a "top 500 soujourn" smurf apparently, literally just head shotting the whole team

Had me of no rank and a couple bronze players

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 21, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How does competitive mmr work?

It doesn't.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It doesn't.

lol, yeah qm seemed at least kinda fair matches

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know what the gently caress but the last couple of months the game has consistently given me a streak of 5-10 losses followed by a streak of 5-10 wins. Consistently, like clockwork.
It's not even me tilting and playing badly, because those losses and wins can easily be spread out over the course of 2, 3, 4 days.

In the end I'm still winning slightly more often than I'm losing, but the fact that all the losses consistently come in one big streak gets extremely tiring. Even more so when half of the victories are also just pure one-sided stomps, which isn't particularly enjoyable either.
I don't know if it's caused by them adjusting MMR too fast or too slowly, or whatever, but they should loving quit that.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dunno if it's that I've played more quickmatches vs competitive and my mmr is more correct in quickmatch, but those matches seem to have evened out.

Like quite a few of real nail-biters and lots of people go "gg wow" or whatever at the end even on the losing side. People also always give those "kudos" points things.

Played like 5 matches in comp and had to disable chat because people were crying about my damage numbers and telling me to uninstall. Like what am I supposed to do vs Plat/Diamond/Master players?? I barely know the buttons! Also got zero kudos points!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If you ask me, the population is struggling. I've had masters/grandmasters in probably >50% of my matches the last few days. Including one where one guy I was playing with was bronze. If a bronze and a master can get into a game together (even if it's just qp) it indicates to me that there is a real population issue on both ends of the spectrum.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

I'm gonna be honest about my badness here, I almost never zoom in as Ana. In fact I am usually way too much forward and use her gun as a point blank shotgun. I really like the sleep dart/nade so that's why I still even play her.

same and its fun, although i still tend to pick Lucio cuz playing him is easier and i like picking up respawns and bringing them back to battle

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Knocking Wifeleaver off of his flower as Brig doesn't help a whole lot tactically, but goddamn is it fun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pattonesque posted:

Junk ult is great at low ranks because no one can figure out that you can listen to hear where it's coming from and then shoot it. They simply refuse!

To be fair on PS5 the callout is bugged and doesn't always go off. Same with the Hanzo wolf howls on that skin.

van fem posted:

From my experience, the group matchmaking in QP is particularly awful and it's pretty clear they need to MMR-match tanks regardless of "group mmr" differences. A good tank can effectively solo carry a team. Those are the games where the tank has 2-3x the damage and elims of his dps.

This is more or less my experience with my friends' group (2 diamonds + 2 plats). Feels like most games in Comp are close, while QP is a stomp in either direction. Biggest QP mismatches are dive tank (especially masters+ doomfist) or high rank mccree + low rank pocket. What confuses me is the Comp queues are usually the same length as QP.

This makes sense to me. I used to play every night but I kept playing the same diamond tank all the time and I'm a bronze player.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Worked my way out of bronze support was an enlightening experience after being dumped there from plat, really for the most part mechanically people aren't bad, its mostly people not switching/not paying attention to the rest of the team/weirdly like a dozen DVA one tricks that keep super far back pelting people for like 2 damage from 30 meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Playing Ramattra with a competent Support on my team (especially if it's an Ana) makes my balls feel big.