Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starmer would lose a game of musical chairs if there were ten chairs and he was playing by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's not his fault that Jeremy Corbyn personally pissed all over them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Let's see how the 'Starmer can chair a meeting' guy is doing, shall we?

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1648981776608395265?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q
Burt Gummer Day was last Friday.

Tweets from academic historians and 90s newsletters from "you need to know these types of trap for when The Collapse happens" survivalists are getting a bit too close to be funny now :geno:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No wait it's this loser, it's back to being funny again.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1627293157539864576

It's every man for themselves. Build a bunker up in the mountains. Google Randy Weaver. Don't be antisemitic if Starmer starts a loving war though.

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1648996979605741569

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

Let's see how the 'Starmer can chair a meeting' guy is doing, shall we?

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1648981776608395265?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

I could do all those things when I was a 20-something temporary PA/secretary.
My turn to be LOTO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

No wait it's this loser, it's back to being funny again.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1627293157539864576

It's every man for themselves. Build a bunker up in the mountains. Google Randy Weaver. Don't be antisemitic if Starmer starts a loving war though.

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1648996979605741569

There's been a slight trend of using panels from The Watchmen in UK leftist politics Twitter lately. Kind of out of nowhere.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Forget Watchmen, Wombles are where the real drama happens

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

There's been a slight trend of using panels from The Watchmen in UK leftist politics Twitter lately. Kind of out of nowhere.

About half of them want to gently caress the squid, though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

Obviously you weren't around at the start of the year where people were combining Watchmen panels with Simpsons memes. This is just a natural evolution.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Obviously you weren't around at the start of the year where people were combining Watchmen panels with Simpsons memes. This is just a natural evolution.

Dr. Milhouten is real and he's my friend

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/DrFrancesRyan/status/1648962973505912833?s=20

Graun link: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/20/labour-warpath-targeting-benefit-claimants-disabled-starmer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
TGI Friday's have taken away free staff hot meals, as part of a general race to the bottom for hospitality sector employee conditions, as well as a petty slap in the face to people whose food bills are rising.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Funnily, sainsburys at some point I think last year, introduced a bunch of free stuff in the canteen for anybody who works or visits the store, which I thought was uncharacteristically lenient.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I know TGIF isn't a real restaurant, but the whole in-house meal thing is so integral to a well-functioning kitchen (at least in my teenage dishwasher experience), it's one thing that the show The Bear gets extremely right. This is just pathetic miserliness that will bite them in the rear end

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/BladeoftheS/status/1649026880782184449?s=20

"Aux armes citoyens, formez vos bataillons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIQSEq6tEVs

Why can't we have a good stirring national anthem celebrating the people instead of that turgid piece about saving a monarch that we have?

(Mind you, not convinced about the 'sang impur' - to what does that refer? (I mean I know it means 'impure blood')

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably refers to French troops introducing syphilis to Europe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nice to have a normal headline every now and again

https://twitter.com/MentalHeadline/status/1649048792271036418

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Mind you, not convinced about the 'sang impur' - to what does that refer? (I mean I know it means 'impure blood')

Prussia.

The French have had a few goes at rewriting that line because it feels awkward to play it around Germans, but tbh since Prussia was the successor state to the genocidal military theocracy of the Teutonic Order and went on to the form the third Reich there aren't that many people who feel it's a priority

E; you can also just sing l'internationale to it, the lyrics were written for the melody. I remember being pretty impressed that fall of eagles got that right when Lenin returns to Russia.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Harsh, but self care is important.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Harsh, but self care is important.

There's self care, but there's also the temporary imposition of a dying/sick family member who needs you to be there.
Sure don't know much about the headline, or he survived or not so only guessing on the circumstances.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm willing to believe the reality is more nuanced than that mental headline but still, wa wa wee wa

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Why isn’t Labour pushing for change? bleats paper that went apeshit to bring down a Labour leader who tried to change the status quo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm willing to believe the reality is more nuanced than that mental headline but still, wa wa wee wa

I incurred some brain damage for my curiosity but the article is slightly more nuanced and the ex-gf left because she was unable to handle the stress of it all. Still a bit of a dick move but not unexpected and probably better than having a mental breakdown and doing something stupid.

I guess the general thought is where is the balance to be had? Used to be it would all be bottled up until it boiled over in some dramatic fashion, but it sounds like these days it's entirely acceptable to check out and abandon your (former) loved one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The actual balance is that it's something that men (e.g. Boris Johnson) always did far more often than women, but now that a woman has done it (even after a long discussion) the Mail is interested.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I guess the general thought is where is the balance to be had? Used to be it would all be bottled up until it boiled over in some dramatic fashion, but it sounds like these days it's entirely acceptable to check out and abandon your (former) loved one.

Depends what you mean by acceptable I guess? The consequences for the person leaving are mostly social so they'll be dictated by your friend group and social circle and the like I think. Like you always could and continue to be able to leave somebody at any time for any reason but lots of people will think you're a jerk in these sorts of circumstances probably, as they are in this case. Most people probably wouldn't put it out into the general public with their face and presumably name in an article declaring the thing they've done though. I'd say that's an error, personally.

If I knew both people involved I'd think to myself "jeez, terrible situation and that seems lovely but ultimately not my place to judge cause I'm not in their shoes".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

I incurred some brain damage for my curiosity

Same, and holy gently caress is the DMO cursed as hell.
WEIRD SEX SHENNIGANS headlines, while 3/4 of the rest of the page is supermodels in bikini's or underwear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

WEIRD SEX SHENNIGANS
I know what you meant here, and yet I still have a searing mental image of an American faux-Irish themed bar and grill with interesting holes in the toilet cubicles.

All the commercials would be in this style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO83gAYHLWs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Bring your wife, we'll gently caress her.

Tbh this could be any pub in Temple Bar I don't see the USP

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The actual balance is that it's something that men (e.g. Boris Johnson) always did far more often than women, but now that a woman has done it (even after a long discussion) the Mail is interested.

While I would agree with you in principle. She did freely give an interview to the Daily Mail so her decision making process is already highly suspect.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

TGI Friday's have taken away free staff hot meals, as part of a general race to the bottom for hospitality sector employee conditions, as well as a petty slap in the face to people whose food bills are rising.

Isn't it incredibly hard to find restaurant employees these days?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

drat if only there'd been an alternative to this shite at some point that the guardians could have got behind :thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't jeopardise their gainful employment bemoaning the state of things by letting somebody actually improve it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pure cunts

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

drat if only there'd been an alternative to this shite at some point that the guardians could have got behind :thunk:

being fair to Dr Frances Ryan she was one of the only people at the Graun during his tenure who was like "this man is pushing forward good policies that would materially improve the lives of people like me"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

I incurred some brain damage for my curiosity but the article is slightly more nuanced and the ex-gf left because she was unable to handle the stress of it all. Still a bit of a dick move but not unexpected and probably better than having a mental breakdown and doing something stupid.
I looked it up too, and the weirdest thing is her doing the marathon 'for him.' If I'm being generous I can see how her leaving him is sad but could better than dumping a mental collapse on top of everything else, and they did remain friends, and he did survive, but the marathon thing seems weird

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Did people notice that the Pope had given GB/Charles (who knows which) a relic of the True Cross* that will be carried in the Coronation procession?

*aka some piece of wood no earlier than the medieval period

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do we not have our own bits of the true cross? Surely any self respecting monarchy should have one?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i get truly cross when i think of the monarchy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did people notice that the Pope had given GB/Charles (who knows which) a relic of the True Cross* that will be carried in the Coronation procession?

*aka some piece of wood no earlier than the medieval period

Look, regardless of how you feel about the monarchy, it would really shatter Britain's standing on the world stage if Charles was to be attacked by vampires during the coronation so this is pretty sensible*

*loving dumbass mystical bullshit more like