Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I made my wire cutters so I should have my hammer tomorrow. Can't loving wait. Also starting to get the hang of finding the start point of a vein. Ran into this beauty after mining around once I found the bottom point of the redstone ore.

Can't wait to find sections of this way easier when I have a hammer. Also hunger really hasn't been bad which I was worried about going into the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

I made my wire cutters so I should have my hammer tomorrow. Can't loving wait. Also starting to get the hang of finding the start point of a vein. Ran into this beauty after mining around once I found the bottom point of the redstone ore.

Can't wait to find sections of this way easier when I have a hammer. Also hunger really hasn't been bad which I was worried about going into the pack.

I dunno if you noticed this yet but pull up your map and click on the ore icon in the top leftish side of the screen, your map will remember and mark all your ore veins. There's a bug where it won't remember ones near world spawn but you can fix that by editing the cfg file for the ore generation mod :)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

I dunno if you noticed this yet but pull up your map and click on the ore icon in the top leftish side of the screen, your map will remember and mark all your ore veins. There's a bug where it won't remember ones near world spawn but you can fix that by editing the cfg file for the ore generation mod :)

Yep. I have to occasionally turn that back on

Edit: In case anyone is as dumb as me and didn't know this. The ore finder will just throw veins on your map as you walk around top side if you have an item that comes from the vein in the finder. I guess I didn't comprehend this when reading it in the guide because I was trying to use it to find the blocks after I found the vein. Either way it took all of 5 mins after putting a coal in the finder to find a diamond node and block.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 18, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was reading this page on the GTNH wiki (https://gtnh.miraheze.org/wiki/GT_Tinkers_Tools) and I'm trying to figure out how I make a Thaumium Tough Binding to upgrade my crossbow. I tried 3 ingots and the casting form in the MV Extruder but nothing happened. It doesn't appear to exist in NEI either. Is this page just outdated? Should I be going for a different material in early MV instead?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FPzero posted:

I was reading this page on the GTNH wiki (https://gtnh.miraheze.org/wiki/GT_Tinkers_Tools) and I'm trying to figure out how I make a Thaumium Tough Binding to upgrade my crossbow. I tried 3 ingots and the casting form in the MV Extruder but nothing happened. It doesn't appear to exist in NEI either. Is this page just outdated? Should I be going for a different material in early MV instead?

Thaumium is the only 'metal' part that's made in the part builder. Don't ask why.

And it's the best as it gives +1 modifier.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How far away is me not having to chuck all this into a cauldron for redstone? I probably should have just furnaced down the ore and took the 1:1 hit.

edit: nevermind i can chuck a whole stack and it works

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 19, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

How far away is me not having to chuck all this into a cauldron for redstone? I probably should have just furnaced down the ore and took the 1:1 hit.

edit: nevermind i can chuck a whole stack and it works

lmao yep, I had the same thing happen

I stared long and hard at the simple washer today and decided I'll just keep doing stacks by hand since I'm only doing 6 or 9 stacks at a time still.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Steel time has commenced. Now on to getting a hammer and a lumber axe.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bawk posted:

Lava can wait until the Nether, you should see a steam age quest eventually that, upon completing, gives you 16 obsidian to build a portal with. Then you can find the nearest lava lake and build a path down to it (or, if you're playing solo, just write down your coordinates and /tp back to a few blocks from your portal) and fill up some buckets that way. There's ways to do dollies to take tanks back and forth, but I'm not sure how those work with dimensional travel. I'm also wondering if a filing cabinet would work, but I haven't done much testing with that yet. It's just convenient because you can break it and pick it up, it retains its inventory like a shulker box.

for lava, numbers of seared tanks aren't the worst idea in the world earlygame. they're relatively cheap - four seared bricks and four seared brick blocks - and they retain fluid when broken. they also stack, so you can carry like 64 of them in your active slot and not get burnt. take your tanks down to the lake, fill 'em up with four buckets each, and then carry them all back. i accidentally shift-crafted 11 of them at once, and i'd have been happy with four.

Holyshoot posted:

Teleporting works? Or is this a cheat thing more or less?

by default (in the singleplayer at least) journeymap allows you to teleport to waypoints you've added. so press j to see your map, then set some points, and 'port away.

note that you can add waypoints by simply entering coordinates, you don't have to be standing at the point you want to teleport to in future :q:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You can also double click the map anywhere to set a waypoint at that location. I use warp waypoints all the time. Just do whatever is most enjoyable.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

for lava, numbers of seared tanks aren't the worst idea in the world earlygame. they're relatively cheap - four seared bricks and four seared brick blocks - and they retain fluid when broken. they also stack, so you can carry like 64 of them in your active slot and not get burnt. take your tanks down to the lake, fill 'em up with four buckets each, and then carry them all back. i accidentally shift-crafted 11 of them at once, and i'd have been happy with four.

by default (in the singleplayer at least) journeymap allows you to teleport to waypoints you've added. so press j to see your map, then set some points, and 'port away.

note that you can add waypoints by simply entering coordinates, you don't have to be standing at the point you want to teleport to in future :q:

:aaa:

nice!! I'm going to give this a shot tonight, I have a couple villages I've only partially sifted through that I would love to tear down for supplies, specifically to make the first part of your post easier. There's a smeltery i haven't touched because I already combined 2 village smelteries + the parts I made as part of the quest for aluminum berries, so I left that one alone. I'm going to turn that into some seared tanks to hopefully not need another nether lava run for a while

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Honestly, once I got into LV I didn't find myself using the smeltery anywhere near as much and I was able to keep up some passive lava gain just from carrying a bucket with me when I did nether mining and filling it with the inevitable lava source block hiding in the walls where I'm working. Then I had a regular glass tank sitting back at base that I'd drop it off at. I guess I'm using it a little more right now to produce raw aluminum, but my lava reserves haven't been significantly impacted.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Honestly, once I got into LV I didn't find myself using the smeltery anywhere near as much and I was able to keep up some passive lava gain just from carrying a bucket with me when I did nether mining and filling it with the inevitable lava source block hiding in the walls where I'm working. Then I had a regular glass tank sitting back at base that I'd drop it off at. I guess I'm using it a little more right now to produce raw aluminum, but my lava reserves haven't been significantly impacted.

Yeah, you won't really use it very much going forward. At most, you'll use it to make new casts occasionally. In LV you can get some use out of it via recycling steel dust from making steel rods in a lathe (if you can be bothered; I usually don't.)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been using the smeltery a lot because i turned the 10 aluminum berries the smeltery quest gives you I to a 9x9 plot of them, and I will run that aluminum back to the smeltery so I can make alumite/aluminum brass/ for tools and casts and molds. I haven't found a way to make it into Aluminum bars quite yet though. It's been a hot minute though and now I'm in LV, so after I finish building out the rest of my boiler setup for infinite steam I'll investigate if the smeltery can be replaced for aluminum production

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the smeltery is an early-game way to get raw aluminium, which needs macerating into aluminium dust, which gets Electric Blast Furnace'd into aluminium bars. the questbook should walk you through that lot; you can't get aluminium bars from the smeltery direct

as you progress you'll get other sources of aluminium dust, like electrolysis and cryolite mining and stuff

e: wrongo!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 19, 2023

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Raw aluminum can also be made in a compressor! I'm still doing it that way because EBFing the dust directly is like 4x the power cost and ties up my HV EBF. I'm just starting to expand my HV line and I still use the HP steam compressor (and forge hammer and extractor).

Another big tip is backpacks. Once you get some steel you can make backpacks for a single steel ring and twice as much leather and cotton as you thought would last you forever. The second you get the EBF up and make aluminum, craft an adventure backpack.

Convert that to a pig backpack and then make a new twilight portal so you can get struck by lightning while wearing it. Your pig backpack will transform into the zombie pigman backpack which grants permanent fire resistance. You can actually do this step before the blast furnace if you kill kobolds in the twilight forest for aluminum ingots (10% drop rate I think). You can also do a quest to get a TF portal generator so you don't have to waste 4 circuits just to get struck by lightning. You can also wait around for a storm infernal mob (wisps and skeleton druids always spawn infernal, or you can soul vial a mob over and over until it becomes infernal)

For my stuff, I spent a whole day just deep diving thaumcraft. Electric goggles and boots of the traveler, mantle of ravens, and seraphim spaulders mean I can double jump, glide, step up, and I'm immune to fall damage. The QoL stuff from thaumcraft is incredible. Don't sleep on it even if it takes a lot of work to pay off!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh poo poo they changed it. sorry, yeah, you don't want to macerate down the raw aluminium. i was used to aluminium being makeable from dust at the cupronickel coil level but this is no longer the case

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
My nether portal spawn is perfect. At least for getting lava.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, you won't really use it very much going forward. At most, you'll use it to make new casts occasionally. In LV you can get some use out of it via recycling steel dust from making steel rods in a lathe (if you can be bothered; I usually don't.)

For easy recycling without needing a clock or whatever you can just use a faucet -> huge bronze pipe -> table -> hopper -> chest to 'automate' ingots unless you have a LOT of steel, but the faucet won't stop outputting until the pipe is completely full.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

My nether portal spawn is perfect. At least for getting lava.

idk seems like a trek, better write down those coords

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's a good cheap easy way to enter the BBF's of ash and probably steel?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

What's a good cheap easy way to enter the BBF's of ash and probably steel?

To empty? Nothing -- the BBF is deliberately hostile to automation. The best thing to do with the BBF is to always use blocks of fuel -- this compresses the ashes to full dusts, making the iron/steel the bottleneck rather than the ash.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm guessing that was meant to be "empty" and the answer is "there isn't one". the bricked blast furnace is not automatable, by design.

what you can do is hopper in blocks of coal coke (more efficient) and blocks of iron. it means you're only clearing out the furnace once every 4.5 stacks of iron ingots, rather than every 32 ingots, but you still gotta fiddle with it occasionally

e: piss! pisss!!!!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Sounds good thank you all. Currently working (while playing) so I can't go mine coke. Using sugar coke because it's not labor-intensive right this moment and had a bunch of sugar cane on hand. I'll start the coke production after work and definitely planned on using blocks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Sounds good thank you all. Currently working (while playing) so I can't go mine coke. Using sugar coke because it's not labor-intensive right this moment and had a bunch of sugar cane on hand. I'll start the coke production after work and definitely planned on using blocks.

Mine coke? You make coke by putting coal in a Coke Oven.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Mine coke? You make coke by putting coal in a Coke Oven.

Yes

Bawk can you post your storage situation? Mines about to get out of hand fast now that I got a hammer and I always rushed AE2 or refined storage for this very issue. Also is there some sort of girders or something I can make that isn't super expensive to make building tall stuff not a game of jumping up blocks and having to eat?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 20, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Also is there some sort of girders or something I can make that isn't super expensive to make building tall stuff not a game of jumping up blocks and having to eat?

The IC2 wooden scaffolds are great for this. You can stack them vertically by right clicking the bottom scaffold with more scaffold blocks in your hand. Each side of the scaffold acts like a ladder. When you're done, mine out the bottom scaffold and they all break. Only downside is they can only extend horizontally out two blocks from other scaffolds.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The IC2 wooden scaffolds are great for this. You can stack them vertically by right clicking the bottom scaffold with more scaffold blocks in your hand. Each side of the scaffold acts like a ladder. When you're done, mine out the bottom scaffold and they all break. Only downside is they can only extend horizontally out two blocks from other scaffolds.

tyvm this is what i was looking for!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Yes

Bawk can you post your storage situation?

lmao it's called a disorganized mess of double chests.

I've been scratching my head on the best approach to that too, my last pack had Occultism so I just used the pretty inexpensive infinite wireless interdimensional storage that offered. Right now I've got a backpack that's filled with random crap that I keep having to sort through because there's so much stuff. I've also just got stations where I have a chest + hopper above a machine, a chest + hopper below a machine, and a smattering of wooden chests here and there where I know I will stash stuff like motors, pumps, and other complicated machine parts. The main exception is the farm (since it's all being hand picked and placed in a barrel), a wall of 9 barrels for the annoyingly common stuff (dark ash, dirt, cobble, sand, netherrack, etc.) and the barrels I have linked together with pipes to input/output wood and charcoal to my coke ovens.

the one thing I can whole-heartedly recommend is to build the tool station and a crafting table, put the tool station into the crafting table with a saw to make it into a half-slab tool station, then do the same thing with the crafting station from tinker's. Put both of these side-by-side, with the half-slab crafting station on top of a gold chest or double-chest. The crafting station will have the tool symbol in the center, meaning that you can repair/modify all of your tinker's items by placing the tool in the center of the crafting station and the materials around it. You can do 8 items at a time when repairing or modifying this way (redstone, quartz, lapis, etc.) but just be careful because it bugs out sometimes and will eat the material without actually repairing it properly. I've seen the durability bar go down instead of up.

The main reason to put the half-slab on top of a chest is you get full access to that chest's inventory too, although this would work with placing a full-sized crafting station next to a chest, I just like having the crafting station as a half-slab because it feels like having a solid work surface in a smaller footprint. I suppose you could place hoppers behind chests instead of above them, so you could immediately craft with items that are being output from a machine with a specific purpose, IE: having both an extruder and a wiremill outputting bare wire and rubber sheets into the same chest so you can combine the two together without putting either into your inventory.

I was just going to wait until I could do the other thing I normally do: make a fuckton of drawers with a drawer controller master/slave setup so I can output all of my items into 4x4 drawers in a big wall of storage.

e: welcome to the furnace setup, population: gently caress you under construction! :buddy:

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

lmao it's called a disorganized mess of double chests.

I've been scratching my head on the best approach to that too, my last pack had Occultism so I just used the pretty inexpensive infinite wireless interdimensional storage that offered. Right now I've got a backpack that's filled with random crap that I keep having to sort through because there's so much stuff. I've also just got stations where I have a chest + hopper above a machine, a chest + hopper below a machine, and a smattering of wooden chests here and there where I know I will stash stuff like motors, pumps, and other complicated machine parts. The main exception is the farm (since it's all being hand picked and placed in a barrel), a wall of 9 barrels for the annoyingly common stuff (dark ash, dirt, cobble, sand, netherrack, etc.) and the barrels I have linked together with pipes to input/output wood and charcoal to my coke ovens.

the one thing I can whole-heartedly recommend is to build the tool station and a crafting table, put the tool station into the crafting table with a saw to make it into a half-slab tool station, then do the same thing with the crafting station from tinker's. Put both of these side-by-side, with the half-slab crafting station on top of a gold chest or double-chest. The crafting station will have the tool symbol in the center, meaning that you can repair/modify all of your tinker's items by placing the tool in the center of the crafting station and the materials around it. You can do 8 items at a time when repairing or modifying this way (redstone, quartz, lapis, etc.) but just be careful because it bugs out sometimes and will eat the material without actually repairing it properly. I've seen the durability bar go down instead of up.

The main reason to put the half-slab on top of a chest is you get full access to that chest's inventory too, although this would work with placing a full-sized crafting station next to a chest, I just like having the crafting station as a half-slab because it feels like having a solid work surface in a smaller footprint. I suppose you could place hoppers behind chests instead of above them, so you could immediately craft with items that are being output from a machine with a specific purpose, IE: having both an extruder and a wiremill outputting bare wire and rubber sheets into the same chest so you can combine the two together without putting either into your inventory.

I was just going to wait until I could do the other thing I normally do: make a fuckton of drawers with a drawer controller master/slave setup so I can output all of my items into 4x4 drawers in a big wall of storage.

e: welcome to the furnace setup, population: gently caress you under construction! :buddy:

yea i got that setup and i also have made a second work bench from forestry so i can have insta craft more or less of tools that break constantly. wish the forestry crafter could see inventories next to it

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holyshoot posted:

Bawk can you post your storage situation? Mines about to get out of hand fast now that I got a hammer and I always rushed AE2 or refined storage for this very issue.

Not bawk but I figured I'd take a pic of my storage and work area to help give you some other ideas or advice.

I use a series of Iron Chest mod chests, storage drawers and barrels to keep my stuff organized. I don't label everything because I generally know what's in where but you can easily start adding labels or signs to your setup. Anyway, that left diamond chest has a bunch of things related to general tech items, like various cells, pipes, screws and more. It also contains a few building supplies. The front right one has lots of processed ingots as well as processed dusts that are useful to my current projects, such as gallium, silicon and others. The back right diamond chest has unprocessed ores and bulk dust storage. The three iron chests to the right of that diamond chest contain crushed/centrifuged ores, clean dusts, and gems respectively. I need to upgrade them all to diamond as well as they're getting full. The gold chest in the foreground contains plates, cables, and electrical components mostly related to my current tier. The worktables in front are self-explanatory because of the signs, but I cannot recommend these enough for repetitive non-Assembler crafting tasks. Super easy to make all the "You're gonna hate this..." items in LV and MV using them, as well as LV circuit crafting before you have access to the Circuit Assembler.

I like to use the 2x2 storage drawers for holding many stacks of relevant metals and dusts. It helps that there was a quest in Steam Age that wants you to make these, so you end up with a bunch laying around. They also get easier to make with an Assembler. The upgrades for them are less fun to make, but you can just purchase the pistons needed for them from the coins shop and there's an assembler recipe for the upgrade templates that'll save you from having to make the steel screws for them. You'll be swimming in technician coins if you aren't already so don't be afraid to use them. The other wood and iron chests along the back wall contain assorted stuff from various mods, as well as items that I know I'm not currently using or that are for a tier higher than my current one that I obtained from dungeons, loot games, or other places. Do not be afraid to separate out stuff that isn't useful to you right now and just come back to it later.

I also have my starter house off to the side that has some more chests in it. Those mostly contain building blocks, plants, mob drops, books, misc vanilla items, and my kitchen. Also, do the Filing Cabinet quest in Steam Age, because they are great ways to store lots of potions or IC2 seed bags in a single block, up to many more than even a diamond chest can hold.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm guessing that was meant to be "empty" and the answer is "there isn't one". the bricked blast furnace is not automatable, by design.

what you can do is hopper in blocks of coal coke (more efficient) and blocks of iron. it means you're only clearing out the furnace once every 4.5 stacks of iron ingots, rather than every 32 ingots, but you still gotta fiddle with it occasionally

e: piss! pisss!!!!

this doesn't work. It's 1 block of coal coke with 5 iron ingots for 5 steel ingots and an ash. Which isn't bad because I can basically ignore my bbf for 4 hours

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 20, 2023

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I got gregteched. I was looking for my first mica vein and spent ages with the ore finder wand and got nothing. Decided to just do some visual prospecting on a nearby outcropping that has exposed small ores, eventually find cassiterite ore. The realisation hits me like a ton of bricks that there's another kind, which is the kind in the mica vein, and not just the cassiterite sand which I've been carrying around with me like a jackass.

Anyway with this knowledge I found a vein near my base so yay.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

PSA for GTNH players in/around LV: spend your drat coins! especially on vacuum tubes and circuit boards (going off memory, i think circuit boards were the other one i did a lot of) vacuum tubes especially are super annoying, just grab the quest whenever it's up and forget about having to craft them at all

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hooplah posted:

PSA for GTNH players in/around LV: spend your drat coins! especially on vacuum tubes and circuit boards (going off memory, i think circuit boards were the other one i did a lot of) vacuum tubes especially are super annoying, just grab the quest whenever it's up and forget about having to craft them at all

I've done this so many times now with leather it's not even funny. Animal traps are so hostile to automation and I suck at remembering to breed animals/had a bad experience with automated breeding causing a bunch of entities that I just stopped doing it altogether.

I ended up with hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of bees on a skyblock server in an enclosed fishbowl and had to kill them all to get the tps back down to normal :gonk: they weren't even good bees yet!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bawk posted:

I've done this so many times now with leather it's not even funny. Animal traps are so hostile to automation and I suck at remembering to breed animals/had a bad experience with automated breeding causing a bunch of entities that I just stopped doing it altogether.

I ended up with hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of bees on a skyblock server in an enclosed fishbowl and had to kill them all to get the tps back down to normal :gonk: they weren't even good bees yet!

This is one of the cool things that Vault Hunters 3 implemented, the simple Animal Pen blocks that let you abstract the performance-murdering animal pens into a single block.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

In LV, wrought iron was another thing I bought on cooldown. Making wrought iron from nuggets is annoying and the MV arc furnace gives one-step glass while the LV one doesn't, so I dumped all my hammer coins into wrought iron instead.

Devor posted:

This is one of the cool things that Vault Hunters 3 implemented, the simple Animal Pen blocks that let you abstract the performance-murdering animal pens into a single block.

Too bad the GTNH version is gated to EV+, at which point you largely don't need the animal drops in the first place since you have access to tin cans or healing axe. Still good for endermen and blazes though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In LV, wrought iron was another thing I bought on cooldown. Making wrought iron from nuggets is annoying and the MV arc furnace gives one-step glass while the LV one doesn't, so I dumped all my hammer coins into wrought iron instead.

Too bad the GTNH version is gated to EV+, at which point you largely don't need the animal drops in the first place since you have access to tin cans or healing axe. Still good for endermen and blazes though.

Can you get skeleton heads for the wither this way? Might have to look into that...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

Can you get skeleton heads for the wither this way? Might have to look into that...

I'm not sure about that. It might need to be put into the nether to do this.

However, rather than do that, I recommend using null catalyst and salis mundus for making new nether stars. Automating balanced shards with the thaumotorium isn't too hard. Plus, once you unlock T4 planets, you can go to Io and dig up salis mundus out of the ground in the form of infused gold.

If you want to automate balanced shards before Io, use the following recipe:

Essentia sources:
2 aer crystal powder
2 ignis crystal powder
4 chiseled stone (make with a rock breaker and a precision laser engraver)

Recipe finishers:
2 aqua shards
1 iron ingot (optional; use to empty the praecantatio out of a beginner cauldron if you aren't using the Thaumotorium.)

The aer/ignis/aqua can be in any combination as long as two are powder and one is a shard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

Not bawk but I figured I'd take a pic of my storage and work area to help give you some other ideas or advice.

I use a series of Iron Chest mod chests, storage drawers and barrels to keep my stuff organized. I don't label everything because I generally know what's in where but you can easily start adding labels or signs to your setup. Anyway, that left diamond chest has a bunch of things related to general tech items, like various cells, pipes, screws and more. It also contains a few building supplies. The front right one has lots of processed ingots as well as processed dusts that are useful to my current projects, such as gallium, silicon and others. The back right diamond chest has unprocessed ores and bulk dust storage. The three iron chests to the right of that diamond chest contain crushed/centrifuged ores, clean dusts, and gems respectively. I need to upgrade them all to diamond as well as they're getting full. The gold chest in the foreground contains plates, cables, and electrical components mostly related to my current tier. The worktables in front are self-explanatory because of the signs, but I cannot recommend these enough for repetitive non-Assembler crafting tasks. Super easy to make all the "You're gonna hate this..." items in LV and MV using them, as well as LV circuit crafting before you have access to the Circuit Assembler.

I like to use the 2x2 storage drawers for holding many stacks of relevant metals and dusts. It helps that there was a quest in Steam Age that wants you to make these, so you end up with a bunch laying around. They also get easier to make with an Assembler. The upgrades for them are less fun to make, but you can just purchase the pistons needed for them from the coins shop and there's an assembler recipe for the upgrade templates that'll save you from having to make the steel screws for them. You'll be swimming in technician coins if you aren't already so don't be afraid to use them. The other wood and iron chests along the back wall contain assorted stuff from various mods, as well as items that I know I'm not currently using or that are for a tier higher than my current one that I obtained from dungeons, loot games, or other places. Do not be afraid to separate out stuff that isn't useful to you right now and just come back to it later.

I also have my starter house off to the side that has some more chests in it. Those mostly contain building blocks, plants, mob drops, books, misc vanilla items, and my kitchen. Also, do the Filing Cabinet quest in Steam Age, because they are great ways to store lots of potions or IC2 seed bags in a single block, up to many more than even a diamond chest can hold.

Ty for this. I think I'll definitely make use of storage drawers as I can also make them blend in with my base blocks as well using framed versions.

Also, I unironically haven't had much of an issue playing this pack with the grind and I am enjoying it. Maybe it's because I can do semi-afk stuff while working from home and I play an ungodly amount of hours on the weekend but I'm in the steam age now after about 96 hours (85 probably actual play and not my character just standing around). I got the hammer/excavator/lumberaxe last night and went and mined out about 1400 coal in 40 mins which I'm converting to coal coke then blocks. Still have tons to do and made a few more work benches which have made some stuff easier and still having fun.

Maybe my brain is broken too idk. But in most modpacks I rush to AE2/Refined Storage get there in about 100 hours or less and then end up quitting when i got a semblance of auto crafting setup. I feel like with this modpack by the time I hit AE2 I'll be so invested I'll keep going and because not everything came at me so quick with easier mod packs and my infrastructure will be actually built out.