Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Zamujasa posted:

back on the "fsd will turn your tesla into a free-roaming uber that will generate passive income for you" beat

how does that make tesla money though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
weren't they doing some poo poo where they wouldn't let people buy out their lease and the explanation was they were going to use those vehicles for their taxi fleet?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

weren't they doing some poo poo where they wouldn't let people buy out their lease and the explanation was they were going to use those vehicles for their taxi fleet?

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this was a few years back and i have no idea whether they kept it up or what the real reason was

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ADINSX posted:

middleman

you think you’ll be able to hook jonnycab directly up to uber? service will require a monthly fee and percentage of gross revenue

but if you buy now you can lock in the price fsd style. this also lets you book the revenue w/o ever delivering the service

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah this approach is called "unschooling" and it's popular with some of the more eccentric homeschoolers and it's how you get nine year olds who can't read the kids' menu at a restaurant.

My understanding is that the reason we got the "balanced reading" approach that parents are griping about now is that they looked at how kids who read effectively read, and it was really different from kids who were struggling to read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_literacy. Anyway, apparently some states curricula leadership decided that all kids should read like the effective readers and not emphasize the phonics so much, so we get to where we are now where the system seems designed to support the kids who were going to be effective readers anyway and gently caress over people who need more support.

My older kid just magically read without instruction of any kind, starting at 3 but fully fluently at 4 and it was somewhat upsetting. We were worried about hyperlexia and that she was just decoding sounds without comprehension, but it turns out that she really was getting it, she's autistic, and it was just a major splinter skill for her. We didn't get the autism diagnosis until 5, but I can see why peoples individual experiences about how kids learn to read is pretty worthless and you have to look at population-level metrics.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Much like how Lenovo can sell a computer for zero profit, because they could yield tremendous profits through mining cryptocurrency with my electricity while I sleep.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

in a well actually posted:

middleman

you think you’ll be able to hook jonnycab directly up to uber? service will require a monthly fee and percentage of gross revenue

but if you buy now you can lock in the price fsd style. this also lets you book the revenue w/o ever delivering the service

the future is so loving dumb i can't stand it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yeah this approach is called "unschooling" and it's popular with some of the more eccentric homeschoolers and it's how you get nine year olds who can't read the kids' menu at a restaurant.

i learned to read early because my stay-at-home mom read to me and provided books and encouragement. i believe i owe the majority of my early childhood development to her, not to any teacher or teaching philosophy, even though i attended normal public school. i'm not endorsing homeschooling by weirdos, but it sure sucks that both parents working is now the default

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yes i realize i am continuing to post off-topic. i don't give a gently caress because elon musk can suck my fat dick.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

teaching a single child to read is so wildly much more beneficial to humanity than anything elon musk has ever done, frankly we need to talk about it a lot more to balance this thread out

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i learned to read by myself according to my parents. in 1st grade my teacher told them "he can read fast, sure, but he doesn't understand the words he's saying" which was absolute bullshit.

now my son in law is 9, cannot read without speaking, and still uses siri dictation to write even the most basic poo poo. it scares me a bit but i guess different people learn at different speed

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Truman Peyote posted:

teaching a single child to read is so wildly much more beneficial to humanity than anything elon musk has ever done, frankly we need to talk about it a lot more to balance this thread out

The only thing Elon can teach a kid is how to hate their dad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the first time i read a word on my own, according to my mom, was at the diner when i was 3, and it was HAM

a goon from the start

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/actioncookbook/status/1648898367924125696

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

ADINSX posted:

Self-immolation As A Service

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

go play outside Skyler posted:

now my son in law is 9

if you didn't mean "nephew" can you elaborate on this math?

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Midjack posted:

Their daughter and/or son married a 9 year old, learn to read pal

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
reading is for losers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwbKwk3TiPU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Midjack posted:

what should i call my spouse's kids?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

in Japan they call people who can’t hand-write for poo poo because they only ever use computer input wapuro-baka or word processor idiots

reading characters and writing them out with a pen are two separate brain-things as you learn quickly, I can read a paragraph of text and type a paragraph of text but my brain BSODs if I try to write my name on a piece of paper because I just never physically write Japanese text

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

what should i call my spouse's kids?

your children or stepchildren.

stepson = spouse's son from a previous relationship
son-in-law = your child's husband

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in-law means someone you are related to through marriage, so your spouse's son is your son-in-law

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

in-law means someone you are related to through marriage, so your spouse's son is your son-in-law

that was also my reasoning

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Carthag Tuek posted:

Not usually in English

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wait til you hear about Schwippschwager.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

that’s logically correct but not how those terms are used in english at least as far as I know

son in law always means the husband of one your kids

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

but a brother in law for example could be my wife’s brother or my sister’s husband

cool language

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wait wait wait.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

gschmidl posted:

Wait wait wait.

Concerning, looking into this.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

besides the stupidity it's wrong, aren't basically all luxury manufacturers charging $30/mo for heated seats or whatever

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

its amazing that elon helps the world by selling his planet-saving cars WITH ZERO PROFIT.

legacy car manufacturers better look the gently caress out - here comes one special boy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/teslacarsonly/status/1648777669029289988

lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that was also my reasoning

j/k ;)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

even if real (it's not), this isn't actually a benefit for a standard passenger car

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

even if real (it's not), this isn't actually a benefit for a standard passenger car

handy way to persuade bazingas to self-select themselves out of the gene pool tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol at the bump right at the beginning like it gets spawned in garys mod

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Truman Peyote posted:

i wish i learned how to read wrong so i was unable to read all these bad posts

just look at the posters avatar and infer how bad the post is gonna be, then you don't have to read it all!

anyway that "method" is clearly super hosed, oh you just learn all the possible pictures to work poo poo out? Cool cool. The reading equivalent of "what does #include do?": Teaching concepts with zero knowledge of what they mean

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 20, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

is anyone else finding that video performance on twitter vids sucks poo poo all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

in Japan they call people who can’t hand-write for poo poo because they only ever use computer input wapuro-baka or word processor idiots

reading characters and writing them out with a pen are two separate brain-things as you learn quickly, I can read a paragraph of text and type a paragraph of text but my brain BSODs if I try to write my name on a piece of paper because I just never physically write Japanese text

my nephew was diagnosed with dysgraphia, which i had never heard of before. since it affects his ability to write, significantly, he's allowed to use a laptop in class for his assignments, using dictation.

this is all wild and new to me since i'm reasonably sure that even as late as the early 2000s if you had significant difficulty writing, they just made you write more.