Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hanging out with voice artists, especially the ones who just do imaging or basic voiceover stuff is really wild. It's like oh I'm just hanging out with History Channel, we're talking music or SciFi channel is ranting about Jessica Alba's chest, or Mr Next Time On Monk is taking about putting a bike courier in a headlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of british comedian Hugh Dennis who did a bunch of car insurance commercials and made it a running gag on Mock the Week where he'd often have his characters pitching insurance in amusing ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

Kevin Conroy is another VA that loved his role as Batman. Also recently just learned today that he's gay and said batman's dual id resonated with him.

sucks that VAing doesnt get respected and big wig execs think you can just get normal actors to just read.

Yeah, he even wrote an autobiographical comic about his life and career leading up to BTAS, Finding Batman.

Batman has always had a lot of appeal for LBGTQ+, neurodivergent, and traumatised people for quite a few reasons.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember a Batmas TAS episode (and there was one/more in Gargoyles too) about mad scientists changing humans into cat people/gargoyle like people. Always abducted people. Fools were in the wrong era, they would have had furries banging down their door to become real animal people.

gently caress I wouldn't mind being a cat person like in Batman. That poo poo looked awesome.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

IIMM: am I the only person who doesn't care about Guardians of the Galaxy 3 because 2 was lackluster (other than Yondu), and so many marvel movies just seem like CGI bloat and lack all the fun of the first Guardians?

I was interested when it looked like it was gonna be them and Thor going on adventures, but yeahh, I just haven't cared about anything after Endgame...actually Infinity War, with Endgame as the coda.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember a Batmas TAS episode (and there was one/more in Gargoyles too) about mad scientists changing humans into cat people/gargoyle like people. Always abducted people. Fools were in the wrong era, they would have had furries banging down their door to become real animal people.

gently caress I wouldn't mind being a cat person like in Batman. That poo poo looked awesome.

That probably takes the fun out of it for them. Think of it as a sadist dentist treating a masochist patient, it's just not the same.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of british comedian Hugh Dennis who did a bunch of car insurance commercials and made it a running gag on Mock the Week where he'd often have his characters pitching insurance in amusing ways.

drat I need to watch more British/UK stuff.

I only know those people from Taskmaster (oh and a few other panal "game" shows)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sorry, best we can do is a lion person from the MegaMan cartoon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

sucks that VAing doesnt get respected and big wig execs think you can just get normal actors to just read.

Most actors are very attractive and charismatic. And many have terrible speaking voices which you never realise until you're not looking at their pretty face while they say something.

To be more fair, they're so used to acting with their bodies and faces, that they're never put that much effort into creating a well rounded voice capable of expressing nuances of emotion.

To be less fair, most Hollywood star castings for voice acting suck and their voices grate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The dude is such a national treasure I worry nic cage will try to steal him.

He also voiced the Predator!

Grendels Dad posted:

That probably takes the fun out of it for them. Think of it as a sadist dentist treating a masochist patient, it's just not the same.

I should really re-watch the Little Shop of Horrors

Samovar has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Apr 19, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Byzantine posted:

I was interested when it looked like it was gonna be them and Thor going on adventures, but yeahh, I just haven't cared about anything after Endgame...actually Infinity War, with Endgame as the coda.
I'm thinking of going to see it, but it's the MCU's last chance to keep me on board.

At least until they finally release that Power Pack movie they've been teasing since before Iron Man 1.

Samovar posted:

He also voiced the Predator!
And the 70's King Kong! He growled and roared so hard his throat started bleeding.

Gotta respect people who do their best voice work after they ruin their voice (see also, Tyler, Bonnie).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
If I remember right Scott mcneil, who voiced a lot of characters in dragon Ball z, as well as half of beast wars, was known to pass out during recording sessions because of all the work he put in voicing various characters going off against each other.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden Episode 23: Broke: giving your grieving grandson therapy. Woke: Giving him access to military technology.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

That actually is the premise of a Batman Beyond episode, which then shoehorns in a bad but predictably 90s 'drugs are bad' plot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

In terms of sound, can we discuss voice acting? I absolutely hate it all of the ice age movies because it sounded like Ray Romano's character was literally him just reading off a script from everybody loves raymond.

Voice acting is really hard. And it says something when you have a distinguished voice like Tony j, and it doesn't take away from the character at all. Compared to say some of DreamWorks stuff where they cast a big name celebrity but it literally could be anyone in the role.

And then there's Peter cullen, anytime someone voices Optimus prime, looking at you Netflix and your cruddy war for Cybertron, he is the voice for that character. I know there's plenty of people who can do decent impressions, but I remember watching an interview where he was discussing coming back from Vietnam and he was just a grunt and his older brother was a marine and was pretty high up in ranking, and he told his older brother that he was going to do some voice acting audition for a truck. A hero truck though, not just an ordinary truck, and his brother told him that real heroes don't look like they do in the movies, not everything is snappy one-liners and being a pure Stone Cold badass. A real hero is strong enough to be gentle. And while Peter Cullen is talking about this in his normal voice, he does a very Hollywood kind of, I am Optimus prime, yeah like you would expect from a snappy one liner, and then compares to his usual deep voice I am Optimus prime and I swear every time I hear it I get goosebumps.

Cullen & Welker are two of my all-time favorite voice actors - not just the voices but their general demeanor. Blew me away when I first heard Frank talking & realized his natural voice is Fred from Scooby Doo, just slightly lower. Plus they're so wholesome together whenever they do any interviews or entertainment panels :3:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like to imagine when futurama was making the episode where nibbler speaks they were thinking "okay nibblers normal voice frank does is high and kind of muttered, it'd be funny if his speaking voice was really low and well enunciated and serious. Who can we get for that?"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

You need to perfect it first, then you can sell it to those people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That actually is the premise of a Batman Beyond episode, which then shoehorns in a bad but predictably 90s 'drugs are bad' plot.

It was both. There was a BTAS episode where a scientist kidnaps Catwoman and turns her into a real cat-woman and then in Batman Beyond there was the episode about the furry-fication drug.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oldpainless posted:

I want a 4th riddick movie to end the franchise. And please don’t try to pawn off the anime or one of the games as “like a movie” to make it four

Riddick 4: Furya has been confirmed and is slated to start filming later this year. Riddick will final get to go to the underverse and suplex a few more necromongers

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember reading somewhere where he was asked about Chris Latta (who voiced Starscream and went down a dark way)

Wait, what happened to him other than him being a consistent dickhead to everyone (and then later getting a brain hemorrhage)?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend just watched NOPE and all he got out of it was "okay so a giant kite flies around and stops electricity and that's it?"

I get the idea he didn't actually watch the movie as a Jordan Peele one. You know, where you watch it a second time to see all the loving foreshadowing. Or maybe he didn't even watch it at all.

Ah well. I knew his taste was poo poo when he said one of his favorite movies was Lucky Number Slevin but he thought Cabin in the Woods was dumb.

edit: he maintains that the alien/animal Jean Jacket isn't real but somehow Tremors was still a lot better even if, last I checked, sandworms aren't real either. Was mad that the alien was a giant kite, even when I pointed out a lot of poo poo we have in our oceans looks very similar.

This got me thinking... anyone have a movie they use as a barometer to check whether someone's taste aligns with yours? Ive been using Mad Max Fury Road for that since 2015 basically. have gotten into a few discussions with people and have been absolutely baffled by some of their takes. so i ask them what they think of Fury Road and it basically all falls into place... i inevitably get some form of "it'a mindless action movie with no story" or "it's a big dumb car chase; boring". they would rather watch the newest Marvel movie or Jurassic World, but we clearly arent watching the same way if that's their takeaway from Fury Road.

at least i can then take their movie opinions wtih a massuve grain of salt when they recommend me stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

It was both. There was a BTAS episode where a scientist kidnaps Catwoman and turns her into a real cat-woman and then in Batman Beyond there was the episode about the furry-fication drug.

I'm aware, just funny that with how many episodes with furry-fication drugs they eventually just started selling them on the market.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Bi-furry-fication erasure

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I dread the day furries get access to genetic modification, and I pity their offspring.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Just posting about genetic purity on the evil page. :coolslime:

Just a funny coincidence.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Gargoyles had multiple furry episodes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Poldarn posted:

Gargoyles had multiple furry episodes.

Gargoyles was an entire furry (I guess technically a 'scaley'?) series.

Elisa and Goliath were romantically in love, and lamented multiple times how they couldn't REALLY be together... Because of society .

If we want to get REAL weird with it, there's an episode of G1 Transformers where a woman is in love with...I think Seaspray? The blue hovercraft...or maybe it was Powerglide, the A-10 jet?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

If we want to get REAL weird with it, there's an episode of G1 Transformers where a woman is in love with...I think Seaspray? The blue hovercraft...or maybe it was Powerglide, the A-10 jet?

Both! Not the same woman each time, though.

Why the gently caress does my brain have to remember that...

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I wanna say there’s an episode of G1 where some women are trying to pick up Soundwave in a bar.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

GreenMetalSun posted:

I wanna say there’s an episode of G1 where some women are trying to pick up Soundwave in a bar.

Bet he gives a great hummer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a bit in Transformers Prime where the mom is jokingly disappointed about Optimus Prime not being around. Hell, I get it, he's a great guy, nice voice and good with kids.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Cop in Super 8 escapes from military detention, steals a uniform and an M-16, and to create a distraction, fires a shot into a gasoline tanker truck causing a big explosion.

The fact that it caused a big explosion is not the IIMM. It's that he cocks his M-16 by pulling back on handguard. Like, the entire gun moves in his arms as he does it and the foley guy plays the generic "gun cocking" sound."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GreenMetalSun posted:

dude, he's a single dad and has a pet loving panther, and in pretty much every version of him, he doesn't let any of his cassettes be hurt or abandoned, and woe to anyone who fucks them up. Who wouldn't be all over that? But grain of salt, he always was my favorite Transformer.

What annoyed the hell out of me in gargoyles was that there was an episode where Eliza became a gargoyle due to Puck, and she could have loving stayed that way!, but nope, status quo is God, she goes back to stupid human and they go back to angsty poo poo.

No kidding! I mean especially if you can pick what dinosaur or furry animal dude you would turn into. That spiderman scientist would have a loving waitlist for years.
vvvvvv

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Apr 21, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beachcomber posted:

You need to perfect it first, then you can sell it to those people.

Like the pterodactyl man in that Spider-Man comic who's turning people into dinosaurs.

People would be lining up for miles for that poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Much more lucrative than curing cancer.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

Much more lucrative than curing cancer.

Probably reduce a lot of people's carbon footprints, too. Although I suspect emissions would be on the rise

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sauron just stole that idea from Stegron.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

Cop in Super 8 escapes from military detention, steals a uniform and an M-16, and to create a distraction, fires a shot into a gasoline tanker truck causing a big explosion.

The fact that it caused a big explosion is not the IIMM. It's that he cocks his M-16 by pulling back on handguard. Like, the entire gun moves in his arms as he does it and the foley guy plays the generic "gun cocking" sound."

I don’t remember a single goddamned thing about that movie lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sally posted:

This got me thinking... anyone have a movie they use as a barometer to check whether someone's taste aligns with yours?

Coen Brothers movies mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Sally posted:

This got me thinking... anyone have a movie they use as a barometer to check whether someone's taste aligns with yours?

Any movie with a lot of anal in it.