Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If Brennan isn't some sort of almond concoction I will be very disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

He is a turnip radish.

edit: that's what I get for watching on my lunch break and then not re-consulting before posting info.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 19, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Bobulus posted:

He is a turnip

No Radish. He explicitly said radish/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

matt is a perfect choice for the kind of gravely serious gravitas and dark, political worldbuilding required for a bunch of candy guys

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Crown of Candy was my favourite setting and I'm excited for this DM and this group of idiots to return to it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
i don't know about this matt guy but i guess i'll give him a chance

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Lack of almonds is disappointing but I am fully on board for more food-related puns.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

eke out posted:

matt is a perfect choice for the kind of gravely serious gravitas and dark, political worldbuilding required for a bunch of candy guys

I unironically agree. CoC doesn't have a ton of bits and jokes, but it works on a network like Dropout because you have a deadly serious plot/game mechanics that take place in this utterly absurd setting. The contrast makes every minute a deadpan comedy

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I've posted multiple times how imo CoC's first half is the strongest storytelling they've ever done. Thrilled to pieces they're returning to that world, particularly given how much of it we didn't even see the first go-round. IIRC, they built a whole meat coliseum for a battle they didn't do.

Wish it was for a full season, but hey, maybe this means we'll get Starstruck S2 sooner.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
A Starstruck prequel miniseries, Oops! All Barrys

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

bunnyofdoom posted:

No Radish. He explicitly said radish/

Even better, a radish cleric. Bulbian church represent.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Latest Game Changer episode inspired me to begin work on a VRChat world with the Game Changer set. Have some WIPs :v:

Aaand it's up!

Game Changer by Kazy on VRChat

Kazy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 26, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What’s the best D20 season/show to try for someone who has no RPG experience? We love the Dropout casts, but my wife has never played an RPG before.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

whydirt posted:

What’s the best D20 season/show to try for someone who has no RPG experience? We love the Dropout casts, but my wife has never played an RPG before.

My wife was the same and we started with Fantasy High season 1

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

whydirt posted:

If you intend it as the only one to watch, I really enjoy misfits & magic and the broad characters make it easy to latch on to (as does the general parodying). Also the entire cast recoiling in horror at Evan Kelmp's name is such a good start.

The wonky mechanics may make it tough to transition to more traditional games later?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

whydirt posted:

either fantasy high or starstruck. i think starstruck

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I would go for Misfits & Magic. Not that these campaigns really get bogged down by rules talk, but that one has even less than average since it's a rules-light system. The season is also pretty short and sweet and it's a sendup of Harry Potter which pretty much we all have some reference points for.

Other than that, Starstruck, because it's all killer no filler.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mostly enjoyed Misfits & Magic in the moment, but as a word of warning, if you're from that area of the world you might find the cast's general attitude towards Britain kind of trying. Never actively malicious by any stretch, and I can't even remember any particular examples off hand at this point, but I do remember finding it kind of irritating as a recurring and regular thing after a while. I never bothered with the Christmas special because of it personally. I'm pretty sure it was mostly rather harmless stuff like laughing at the oddity of place names and desserts like "spotted dick" or the cultural differences for the most part, and none of them were anything of note in and of themselves, but I do remember it being enough of a thing over the course of 6 episodes that it just kind of wore out it's welcome. There's definitely a lot to enjoy in the show if you're not from that area of the world, or have a thicker skin for it than I apparently have, but I don't think I could ever watch it again despite enjoying it overall because I just can't be arsed dealing with that again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
misfits and magic also has no story, just really mild character arcs for only two of the characters, then it ends. so actually my suggestion is escape from the bloodkeep

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Buncha Tiny Heist deniers in this thread goddamn

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Start from the beginning because Fantasy High and Unsleeping City are both amazing!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

timp posted:

Buncha Tiny Heist deniers in this thread goddamn

Tiny Heist has Travis McElroy really Travis McElroy-ing it up.

I genuinely think the most unintentionally funny part of tiny heist is the story ending then immediately Travis appends a post script to it as it was going ALL ACCORDING TO HIS PLAN. Just the most main character syndrome rear end reaction and Justin’s immediate shutdown of the suggestion is the only thing that saved it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

I Am Fowl posted:

I would go for Misfits & Magic. Not that these campaigns really get bogged down by rules talk, but that one has even less than average since it's a rules-light system. The season is also pretty short and sweet and it's a sendup of Harry Potter which pretty much we all have some reference points for.

Other than that, Starstruck, because it's all killer no filler.
Misfits & Magic suffers a complete lack of direction, and basically becomes the Brennan show because he builds characters to facilitate plot. The cast are all great comedians riffing off each other, but it's not a very functional tabletop campaign. Of all their media-inspired campaigns, it's the only one that has zero love for it's setting; Starstruck, Fantasy High, Bloodkeep etc,. all spring from the cast's real-world fondness for those worlds, and the players are eager to engage with it. ( I think Harry Potter is not v. good as a source material to build from )

I'd second the recommendation for Escape from the Bloodkeep, which has great momentum right out the gate. It's dramatic, it's silly, and the cast get to chew scenery and build camaraderie. Tiny Heist is also pretty fun if you enjoy McElroy shenanigans!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Just got the finale two-parter left to watch for Starstruck and this season has been a total riot, with the caveat that Gnosis has Brennan indulging in his worst world building impulses and it's really boring in the wacky space caper season.

The episode where they spent what must have been a solid hour indulging him while he exposited on its purpose is the first D20 episode I had to shut off and take a break.

I've absolutely loved this season though, and the whole cast have been having a blast. Ball is rolling up!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Start with Fantasy High S1 so you can jump directly into the absolute perfect chaotic storm that is The Seven

Warning: After watching The Seven you'll be sad that you don't have more of that group to watch

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the first D20 show I started with was. A Crown of Candy, because the core concept of “Game of Thrones in Candyland” really interested me. I didn’t know a lot about DND but it hooked me almost immediately and I saw that DND could be really cool in talented hands. I don’t think I would recommend it for everyone but I wanted to at least throw it out there

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Wungus posted:

Start with Fantasy High S1 so you can jump directly into the absolute perfect chaotic storm that is The Seven

Warning: After watching The Seven you'll be sad that you don't have more of that group to watch

You can watch Izzy, Erika & Becca Scott on game changer, that trio's eps are fantastic

Might have done a reunion Dirty Laundry as well

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 12, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can you embed shorts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3lMeQ6RDs

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don’t care about which campaigns are the best as actual games, tbh. I just want the ones that are most entertaining

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

whydirt posted:

I don’t care about which campaigns are the best as actual games, tbh. I just want the ones that are most entertaining

My wife doesn’t play D&D and says Starstruck was her favorite. The world is immediately recognizable (space capitalism gone too far) and well-realized, and the cast all bounce off each other really well. It’s consistently funny with some great character beats.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
There’s a lot of great seasons, but my personal favorite has been Fantasy High S2, Sophomore Year. It has tons of incredibly funny and memorable comedy bits while simultaneously exploring some creepy segments, hitting a great tonal mix that Neverafter couldn’t quite replicate. Plus the entire season was performed live on Twitch, so if anyone claims that D20 is heavily scripted because it’s edited you can just point at this season.

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
I'm one episode into Shriek Week and it hasn't clicked for me. Does the mechanics or story make sense soon or is it just weird/not for me?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, to be honest Shriek Week never grabbed me well.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So many RATS in ep 3 of Survivor. So many gosh darned RATS!

Also a great guest and some great talents on display, that whole challenge was spectacular. Jake rules and holy poo poo Izzy's myriad talents lmao

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Howie savagely destroying Adam's (admittedly bad) stand-up by only complimenting Ify was absolutely wonderful.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

whydirt posted:

If they like Lord of the Rings, Bloodkeep is a great short one to get into. There's still several people who have never played before, so they do cover the rules as needed to make it make sense. It's also really, really funny. That and Fantasy High Season 1 would be where I'd start, as they're short, fun, and even if you don't know the exact mechanics you can figure out that "Roll high good, low bad," and go from there.

And the Seven is also incredible, but I really think that one needs season 1 of Fantasy High to kind of lead into it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Fantasy high is the best first watch, its funny &its good

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Just learned about Play It By Ear. God bless theater nerds.

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 11, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

kind of wondering if / how the writer's strike is going to impact a small operation like dropout
their game shows don't really have a lot of capital W Writers on board, but dimension 20 does, kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

According to Sam on the Discord dropout's writers aren't union, in part because most of the writers are producers and not dedicated writers, and in part because the WGA doesn't really cover New Media like Diet Quibi. Most of the union stuff they work with is SAG.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 11, 2023