Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

road potato posted:

That last line genuinely tugged on my heartstrings, and there's so much to unpack there. And that's just a nothing bit in the middle that seems like another thing to point out like how this boring weirdo also adds salt to his food at restaurants.

I hate to delve into amateur psychoanalysis but the revelation that Sanderson doesn't experience physical pain or sadness is too profound to ignore. So much of the Stormlight Archive in particular seems to be thematically structured as a modern morality play where the greatest heroes are those who suffer the greatest psychological sorrow (Kaladin Dalinar and Shallan), while the villain purposefully written to channel the greatest hatred from the audience (Moash) is one who desires and seeks to minimize his suffering and sadness at the expense of others. In contrast Dalinar certifies his heroic nature by refusing to surrender up his emotional pain ("You cannot have my pain"). How do we interpret this knowing that the the temptation (no more pain) which proves Moash's evil and the rejection of which proves Dalinar's heroism is...the exact same circumstance that Sanderson describes himself as having? Does Sanderson see his unusual no-pain state as a blessing from God that all men would desire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Does Sanderson see his unusual no-pain state as a blessing from God that all men would desire?

Uh, yes? Isn’t eternal freedom from suffering and pain literally the reward in most religions for a virtuous life?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
he just wrote an article about it

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/outside/

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Nah he’s just a middle class white Mormon boy who’s never had any real trauma in his life.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I found him a lot more interesting before reading this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm really enjoying Sanderson's body of work. He is like and inverse Feist. Sanderson started weak, but each of his books is better than the last. I can't wait for the new books this year.

I need to find another grand fantasy epic like Sanderson's or Erickson's after I finish rhythm of war.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm really enjoying Sanderson's body of work. He is like and inverse Feist. Sanderson started weak, but each of his books is better than the last. I can't wait for the new books this year.

I need to find another grand fantasy epic like Sanderson's or Erickson's after I finish rhythm of war.

It’s entertaining to interact with people in different subforums. I may disagree with you elsewhere on SA, but completely agree here.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

They're not 1000 pagers like stormlight but Brian McClellan's powdermage pair of trilogies is fantastic and very similar in feel to Sanderson.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

They're not 1000 pagers like stormlight but Brian McClellan's powdermage pair of trilogies is fantastic and very similar in feel to Sanderson.

Thanks I'll take a look.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Powdermage is pretty great!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just finished Secret Project 2. Wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but it won me over by the end. I will agree that the whole thing with Ryan did seem like it kind of fizzled, but John having to piece together his own catharsis kinda worked for me. Ryan was only a foil for John in John's head, with the reveal breaking the facade for John. I think if the book would have done more with the idea of self-image besides John and Serafynn being self-deprecating and John wanting her to see him as he is, I think it would have landed better. Everyone, including his shockingly lovely 'best friend', having him all wrong is an idea that was worth exploring more, I think.

Coulda done without the phrase "couldn't stand up to wight power", though. Hoo boy.

As for other fantasy, I'm partial to Will Wight's stuff. Traveler's Gate's a little shaky (still enjoyable), but I really like Cradle. Hope you light fight scenes, though. I think the last book of that is dropping this year and he just started a sci-fi series.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 11, 2023

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr Hootington posted:

It took me about 400 pages into book 1 to get into it but you can’t go wrong with The First Law trilogy.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Echophonic posted:

Just finished Secret Project 2. Wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but it won me over by the end. I will agree that the whole thing with Ryan did seem like it kind of fizzled, but John having to piece together his own catharsis kinda worked for me. Ryan was only a foil for John in John's head, with the reveal breaking the facade for John. I think if the book would have done more with the idea of self-image besides John and Serafynn being self-deprecating and John wanting her to see him as he is, I think it would have landed better. Everyone, including his shockingly lovely 'best friend', having him all wrong is an idea that was worth exploring more, I think.

Coulda done without the phrase "couldn't stand up to wight power", though. Hoo boy.

As for other fantasy, I'm partial to Will Wight's stuff. Traveler's Gate's a little shaky (still enjoyable), but I really like Cradle. Hope you light fight scenes, though. I think the last book of that is dropping this year and he just started a sci-fi series.

Last week

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

rafikki posted:

Last week

I could have phrased that more clearly. The last Cradle book is June and yeah, The Captain came out last week.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Louisgod posted:

It took me about 400 pages into book 1 to get into it but you can’t go wrong with The First Law trilogy.

I bounced off The First Law once and then just happened to give it another chance years later and read everything he's written after that. Definitely a different vibe than Sanderson, but great books

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Finally got around to listening to The Way of Kings after bouncing off the prologue back when it first came out.

A few thoughts so far a bit under halfway.
Kaladin does seem pretty cool, he just preformed the sideways bridge maneuver, so I imagine he's about to get strung up in a high storm since they've hammered that punishment but we haven't seen anyone suffer it yet.

Dalinar also pretty interesting, last we saw him he'd just decided to abdicate to his playboy(but still also pretty cool) son.

Shallan has been OK, the "wit" that I've seen talked about hasn't been too annoying so far, I think it's mostly that I'm not a fan of Readings.. uh, reading style.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

immoral_ posted:

Finally got around to listening to The Way of Kings after bouncing off the prologue back when it first came out.

A few thoughts so far a bit under halfway.
Kaladin does seem pretty cool, he just preformed the sideways bridge maneuver, so I imagine he's about to get strung up in a high storm since they've hammered that punishment but we haven't seen anyone suffer it yet.

Dalinar also pretty interesting, last we saw him he'd just decided to abdicate to his playboy(but still also pretty cool) son.

Shallan has been OK, the "wit" that I've seen talked about hasn't been too annoying so far, I think it's mostly that I'm not a fan of Readings.. uh, reading style.

you should try Reading the book yourself instead

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I work in construction, generally by my self for the better part of the day, I think I'll continue listening to books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

scary ghost dog posted:

you should try Reading the book yourself instead

Also the audio books rules I declaim this lost as a bad opinion or a bad pun or both.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Also the audio books rules I declaim this lost as a bad opinion or a bad pun or both.

I listened to the audiobooks years ago and was offput by the over-the-top stereotype accents.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
"That sword is worth fortunes!" Gotta admit, that was a pretty boss move.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I am all aboard the Kaladin/Adolin snipe train.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

RC Cola posted:

I liked it. The handbook reminded me of Aperture Science stuff. What was up with Logna and Woden? are they higher dimensional beings? maybe I missed something while listening high

I'm a bit late to the (not well attended) party to discuss secret project 2, but it sounds like they are (extremely powerful?) beings from an even lower dimension who came as far upstream as they could, then were blocked from getting to "our" dimension. at the very end Logna was trying to read up on how the portals worked on the laptop, presumably to consider traveling upstream even more.

All in all, I thought secret project 2 was serviceable, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. It was too YA or YA adjacent for my tastes and I feel like almost all the humor is stuff Sanderson himself thinks is funny, but no one else does. There were some interesting things, and some that fell flat. I feel like its length was its saving grace, which I'm not sure is a great compliment.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't think YA is a bad thing, but I thought Tress felt a lot more like a YA novel than this one.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

I don't think YA is a bad thing, but I thought Tress felt a lot more like a YA novel than this one.

Tress felt like an actual children's book. Of course, so does Coraline and that (as well as the movie adaption) was still scary and disturbing as gently caress. The buttons... Yeesh.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Tress was a fairy tale adventure. It is adorable and fun.

Wizard's Guide is a YA adventure romp. It is ridiculous and fun. But I'm glad it was as short as it was, it left me wanting more but I don't think it could ever deliver that more without disappointment.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Invalid Validation posted:

Nah he’s just a middle class white Mormon boy who’s never had any real trauma in his life.

What do you think "middle class" means? Because people worth tens of millions of dollars are not it.

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm really enjoying Sanderson's body of work. He is like and inverse Feist.

After reading the Firemane Saga and the 3rd book feeling like a really bad Sanderlanche this is painfully accurate. I deeply regret my "it'd be interesting if Riftwar is referenced in this series" thoughts when it first came out, considering the majority/entirety of the 3rd book's plot beats and especially the ending. If you haven't read firemane yet you aren't missing much.

I don't think Sanderson ever recycled character arcs as much as Feist has though. Or just flat out forgot/ignored a character's previous beats and contradicted it in the next book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

What do you think "middle class" means? Because people worth tens of millions of dollars are not it.

You can have a something-class background independent of your current financial situation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can't believe Steve Jobs died of

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I finally got to read Tress. I think it’s my new introduction book to the Cosmere. It was a pleasure to read from start to finish, and while it left me wanting more the book ended exactly where it needed to.

The only drawback I can think of for using Tress rather than Mistborn/Warbreaker/TWoK as the Cosmere intro is that the book throws it right in your face that this world is one of many, and that there are lots of different settings for stories to take place. So you don’t get the wonderment of “Wait a second, that’s two different Sanderson books with a character named Hoid. What’s up with that?” Given that the Cosmere is one of the biggest selling points to Sanderson’s work, though, I don’t know how many people really go in blind on that front these days. And even though the book throws a bunch of names and ideas at you, if this is your point of entry into the series it’s essentially background noise. Like the TWoK prologue, or the WoT prologue, you can figure out what’s happening even if you don’t fully understand all the references; and rereading the book later will give you a whole new appreciation for all the things you missed the first time around.

As for the writing, there were a few things that took me out of the book. The narrator makes several references to technology that are, to my knowledge, the first times we’ve ever seen those things mentioned in the Cosmere: the laptop line, in particular, caught me off guard. I’m not sure if that was lack of attention to points of view and limited knowledge, if the narrator does in fact know what those items are, or if I’ve missed similar references to such things in previous books.

And now a question about the book: what did Hoid get in exchange for accepting the curse? The ability to use Aons? I thought he already had access to pretty much every magic system we’ve seen to date in the Cosmere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Grundulum posted:

And now a question about the book: what did Hoid get in exchange for accepting the curse? The ability to use Aons? I thought he already had access to pretty much every magic system we’ve seen to date in the Cosmere.

Yes, similar to Shai, its one of the more difficult power sets to gain externally.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Grundulum posted:

As for the writing, there were a few things that took me out of the book. The narrator makes several references to technology that are, to my knowledge, the first times we’ve ever seen those things mentioned in the Cosmere: the laptop line, in particular, caught me off guard. I’m not sure if that was lack of attention to points of view and limited knowledge, if the narrator does in fact know what those items are, or if I’ve missed similar references to such things in previous books.

Tress is set in the distant future in the Cosmere timeline compared to Mistborn or Stormlight, we know there is a plan for Mistborn era 3 which is modern, and era 4 which is in the future with space travel, Tress happens somewhere after era 3

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've just started reading the Cosmere stuff after finishing WoT, is this the only Brando Sando thread? There's not a split between spoilers/no spoilers?

Anyway I'm starting with Elantris because I heard it's a bit rough and I'm gonna get it out of the way first. I'm only six chapters in but fuckin lmao at Serene thinking she's over the hill at 25. Great job Sanderson, no wonder you got picked to finish WoT.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

I've just started reading the Cosmere stuff after finishing WoT, is this the only Brando Sando thread? There's not a split between spoilers/no spoilers?

Anyway I'm starting with Elantris because I heard it's a bit rough and I'm gonna get it out of the way first. I'm only six chapters in but fuckin lmao at Serene thinking she's over the hill at 25. Great job Sanderson, no wonder you got picked to finish WoT.

If you can make it through Elantris, then it's all uphill from there. Serene's chapters are the loving pits.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

We have no spoiler/non-spoiler split, because we are usually pretty good with spoilers.

I have to warn you, Elantris was the first Sanderson book I've read, and it made me disinclined to try his other books. This only changed when he was picked to finish WoT, at which point I read Mistborn and became a Sanderson fan.

Elantris does have some bright spots, but it's clearly one of his weakest works. Imho the weakest.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Elantris does have some bright spots, but it's clearly one of his weakest works. Imho the weakest.
:agreed:

Elantris is Sanderson's first published work and it shows in parts. Mistborn may have only been released a year or so later, but it's a pretty sizable step up - enough so that it's my go-to recommendation for people on where to start reading his stuff.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I got recommended to start with Mistborn Era 1 and that was probably a good call. I didn't mind Elantris so much, though, the world is cool and Aons are a neat magic system.

I could see recommending Tress as an entry point. It's light, it introduces the variety of magics in the Cosmere and the concept of the multiverse in a way that earlier books don't. Misborn is so bogged down with three kinds of magic based on metals and I cannot and will not ever remember what does what.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 2, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On the other hand if you read them in publication order you get the full breath of the buildup and interlinks, without any future spoilers.

And each book will generally be better than the last, so you just have to overcome Elantris and you're set.

mewse
May 2, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

On the other hand if you read them in publication order you get the full breath of the buildup and interlinks, without any future spoilers.

And each book will generally be better than the last, so you just have to overcome Elantris and you're set.

Publication order would be my advice for anyone planning to read all the books but.. it makes sense to me to recommend Emperor’s Soul to someone who doesn’t necessarily like fantasy but would like to see what Sanderson is about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Echophonic posted:

I could see recommending Tress as an entry point. It's light, it introduces the variety of magics in the Cosmere and the concept of the multiverse in a way that earlier books don't. Misborn is so bogged down with three kinds of magic based on metals and I cannot and will not ever remember what does what.

It’s tough because if you read Tress first you’ll miss so many cosmere lore references, including Hoid’s overall origin, which I suppose could have the reverse effect where if you were to read anything after Tress, you could tie it back to Tress. I’m usually torn between recommending Mistborn or Warbreaker as a first Sanderson book.