Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Sorry Twitter but because we didn’t make the sub goal, the rocket didn’t make it very far. Help us get to Mars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

[Musk] rocket appears to be spenning

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
spenning rocket on 420, nice

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I wonder if putting Elon's massive vanity project at the center of our plans to return to the moon will turn out to be a good idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah yes the most ambitious goal of not exploding in a fireball

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Musk's exploding "rocket"

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

trucutru posted:

"a reminder this is a test flight... so there is always a chance something can go wrong" *Rocket explodes* (without missing a beat) "and that appears like the flight termination system has been activated"

Meanwhile: A bunch of morons hooting and clapping

Listening to the golf tournament-esque commentary while watching the rocket do some flips before exploding was the funniest poo poo.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰😐😙☺️🤨🥰☺️🤨😍😇😑😍😇😐😍😊🤨🥰😚😐🤣😐🤣😇😑🤣😊😐🤪😜😆😉🤨😅😊😬🤣😊😐😍😊😐😍😙😑🥰🤩😶😂😶🤣😇😶😍😐😅😉🤨😄🤥🤩😇😌🤩🥰😑😍😄🤨😃🐈🦝🦛🦁🐱🐐🦁🐱🐈‍⬛🐱🦛🐈‍⬛🐎🦏🐱🐘🦧🐺🐘🐶🐆🐇🐴🐈🦏🐈‍⬛🐎🦏🐈‍⬛🐎🦛🦮🐱🦛

what could this mean

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

the milk machine posted:

i wonder if it's a good idea to slap a shitload of engines onto a rocket with the strategy of "well some probably won't work, but some of them might!"

more moving parts and single points of failure is always good, right? trying 2 remember my rocketry coursework

Wasn't this the plan in that one asteroid movie recently and oops too many backups blew up

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Exploding a rocket with my friends on #420

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Let's come together
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030304&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Just a Moron posted:

Listening to the golf tournament-esque commentary while watching the rocket do some flips before exploding was the funniest poo poo.

could someone provide me with a timestamp in the video of when the rocket exploded, I scanned through and I couldnt find it

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oops sorry it was a comet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-UwilTarU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

some kinda jackal posted:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rip Testes posted:

It was honestly interesting how the rocket hung together for so long despite the wild trajectory at the conclusion. I would like to see a 3-d representation of the actual flight path.

Same

Just a Moron has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Apr 20, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

could someone provide me with a timestamp in the video of when the rocket exploded, I scanned through and I couldnt find it

Launch is at about -1:42:00 from the end of the posted video

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sincere question: how come Elon's rockets blow up so often, comparatively? I never hear about Blue Origin or CSA or ISRO rockets blowing up. is that just cause they aren't publicized like SpaceX's failures or are they actually worse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao dumbass torched his own launchpad

https://twitter.com/SemrauDylan/status/1649050806577164293

https://twitter.com/louisssdev/status/1649053302741696512

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I hope that camera equipment was insured :ohdear:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

this is my favorite kind of ad on Twitter right now. been seeing a lot of them regardless of how many I block.

https://twitter.com/allendicenzo/status/1649062363734081538?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

it’s a scam built on the brand of a different scam, using the literal face of the scammer, without permission, because the original scammer needs the money that bad.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

selec posted:

this is my favorite kind of ad on Twitter right now. been seeing a lot of them regardless of how many I block.

https://twitter.com/allendicenzo/status/1649062363734081538?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

it’s a scam built on the brand of a different scam, using the literal face of the scammer, without permission, because the original scammer needs the money that bad.

are there really that many rubes left for crypto people to scam?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Nazis were much better rocket builders back then compared to today's Nazis

Groimez, oi ruined Heetlah's berthdai...

spacemang_spliff posted:

musk sobbing, eating Hitler Birthday cake by the handful

Yeah, like that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Just a Moron posted:

Launch is at about -1:42:00 from the end of the posted video

thanks! and boy, is it just me or does the footage seem pretty lovely? like shouldn't they be better at this by now? I mean it freezes right at the beginning at the most exciting part of the launch and the camera kept struggling to keep track of the rocket in the sky. those goobers commenting couldn't stop talking about how gorgeous it was tho

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

musk doesn't need to successfully launch a rocket if this is the kind of reaction his glorified fireworks displays get every time

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
The rocket completed its roundtrip ahead of schedule after a pyrotechnics involved improvisation.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

big success. :v:

two-three months till the next one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

was it supposed to explode ?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

are there really that many rubes left for crypto people to scam?

I think it's more that Twitter ads are really cheap and whoever is left on there is probably a good mark for this stuff

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

It's most ambitious goal was not disintegrating?

some kinda jackal posted:

again

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

was it supposed to explode ?

of course. they just forgot to tell everyone, because they wanted it to be a surprise

you big dummy

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Martian posted:

I think it's more that Twitter ads are really cheap and whoever is left on there is probably a good mark for this stuff

fair

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

indigi posted:

sincere question: how come Elon's rockets blow up so often, comparatively? I never hear about Blue Origin or CSA or ISRO rockets blowing up. is that just cause they aren't publicized like SpaceX's failures or are they actually worse

Because Silicon Valley bullshit.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we prefer to call it an unrequested fission surplus

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
pretend i added a new rocket

https://i.imgur.com/C0KkcQK.gifv

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

muskites are hyperfocusing on the exploding thing as if it was planned

fine

but what about it spinning out of control for like a minute straight?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
https://twitter.com/Jason/status/1649069715032092674?s=20

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

The goal was to do what the V2 rocket did 70 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The reason it hosed up is probably because of the concrete and dust from the launch pad bouncing around and hitting engines.