Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I really like the way all of Horizon's tribal histories inform fashion and architecture in their world, there's just an enormous amount of detail paid to their designs. The Carja for instance are an expansionist trading empire, so they're able to make the most use of colorful dyes and face paints from all around the region, as opposed to more localized tribes like the Banuk who have a much more muted color palette based off of what you'd find around Yellowstone. Meridian is built upon a mesa and glinthawks are very important to Carja mythology, so their silhouettes tend to be very birdlike in shape. Unlike hunter-gatherer societies such as the Nora or Tenakth, the Carja don't tend to have a lot of machine ornamentation, because they have an agricultural economy and can process raw materials like linen and silk for their clothing. And the Oseram, who smelt everything down for their weapons and tinkerings don't have machine part accents at all. The Nora have stitchers, but because in Horizon's world there's no animal larger than a boar, you'll see that all their outfits tend to have marks where the hides are woven together. Those are just some of the details off the dome, but it's all really cool and much more well-thought out than you'd think these things would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Veegy: "Umm, wait a minute, LVG is a frog."

Veegy: "Wait! a minute...LVG is a frog?!"

Veegy: "Sorry...what?! LVG is a frog?!"

Veegy: "Hang on. I'm confused. LVG is a frog."

Veegy: "LVG is a frog."

Veegy: "...are you alright, LVG?"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Veegy: "Umm, wait a minute, LVG is a frog."

Veegy: "Wait! a minute...LVG is a frog?!"

Veegy: "Sorry...what?! LVG is a frog?!"

Veegy: "Hang on. I'm confused. LVG is a frog."

Veegy: "LVG is a frog."

Veegy: "...are you alright, LVG?"

:aaaaa: that is exactly everything I said!!

Also the junctioning blind to my weapon. This is when the full force of potentialities was revealed to me. I can get rpgs where I become THIS powerful??

I can become stronger than any FromSoft boss?? Gaming joy brought down to me by the gods at Square Enix.

:) I just finished chrono trigger and I only died to Magus and Woe Guru Mecha Everything else was classic Veeg. Even getting frantic at the end like in FFX.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So from what I’m seeing, there’s no discount from buying all the FF pixel remasters in that bundle, so there’s no reason not to buy them one at a time if that’s what you want to do?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

I saw your trophies... 50k gil already :eyepop:

I turned the gil boost on just to buy some spells then forgot to turn it off in the marsh cave whoops lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So from what I’m seeing, there’s no discount from buying all the FF pixel remasters in that bundle, so there’s no reason not to buy them one at a time if that’s what you want to do?

What? It's definitely cheaper to buy the bundle, unless your region is fucko somehow

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

They cost like almost $100 individually.

The first two are $12 each but then the next four are like $18 each.

You save $20~ with the bundle.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There is in the UK store at least, individually they’re

£9.49
£9.49
£14.99
£14.99
£14.99
£14.99

Which is £78.94 vs £64.99 for the whole package which is still way up there in lol no thanks territory.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah here in the UK it’s £78.94 to buy them individually and £64.99 for the bundle

efb!!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Save an extra 14% by buying discount psn cards on ShopTo

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ohhhh, I saw FF1’s price and the bundle and assumed the test were the same price lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

Save an extra 14% by buying discount psn cards on ShopTo

Did this

Incredible value

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Which is £78.94 vs £64.99 for the whole package which is still way up there in lol no thanks territory.

It's incredible value for what you get. I've only played 3 hours of ff1 and I can't believe I have all this awesome gaming ahead of me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Move game pass, or as we here like call it, lame rear end… FF pixel remasters are now the best deal in gaming

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing Wild Hearts and enjoying it. It's got some fun combat when using the karakuri stuff, the weapons are different enough to encourage experimenting between them, and I like exploring the world to find little robot guys and stuff. It's also pretty as hell.

It's a little lacking in depth in certain areas - weapons don't have the complexity I desire from MH weapons, leading to repeating the same moves a lot in combat over and over again. And the monster design is creative in how it sorta fuses beasts with nature, but the fact that the base of each monster is essentially just some animal is hard to ignore. Like, this one is a beaver, this one is a chicken, this one is a squirrel, etc. But in the end the depth and stylings of Monster Hunter have come after literal decades of improvement and iteration, so it's hard to expect the same level from the first iteration in a potential series.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fridge corn posted:

It's incredible value for what you get. I've only played 3 hours of ff1 and I can't believe I have all this awesome gaming ahead of me.

My own nostalgia for old FF games only goes so far unfortunately

I’ll buy them at some point but not until they hit like £45 for the bundle, at most

I still have a bunch of chrono cross left to play and then Zelda is coming

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Move game pass, or as we here like call it, lame rear end… FF pixel remasters are now the best deal in gaming

Yes, actually.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

No nostalgia required. FFs 1-6 are just incredible games

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

No nostalgia required. FFs 1-6 are just incredible games

I never played any FF prior to 7, and played through 5 and 6 two years ago. They are amazing games and hold up really well!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I recently played 3 (the 3ds version) and 4 (the psp version) and was delighted to find they held up after never plying them before.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Got stuck into the Horizon DLC last night, just played through the first little adventure and boss battle. Man, this is a complicated game when you're jumping into an endgame character without remembering much from your first playthrough. Took a few minutes just running around and blowing up robots before I started the DLC, and then every time I was prompted to hit pause, I ended up spending 5 minutes looking through all the menu screens trying to remember how everything worked.

Also had to give it a brief pause when I met up with Sylens. I think this was Lance Reddick's final role, huh? Really sad.

Archery still feels great, though! And I dunno, after playing Bloodborne it's kind of a breath of fresh air to have a game take me by the hand again and guide me through all the content. Run towards the objective marker, climb on the cliffs that have climbing marks on them, and then put down the controller for a few minutes while my character talks to the NPCs. Once I made it to the new city, Aloy was nice enough to tell me I was allowed to go exploring now, and I can pick from a number of activities helpfully shown on my map. And I died once on the boss (accidentally jumped off a ledge) and hey, there's no punishment, I just respawn back at the start of the fight.

I dunno, sounds like I'm talking poo poo about the game, but it's fun in its own way! Like playing through a movie.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I do like the between each story mission, you're told explicitly, either by Aloy muttering to herself or from an NPC, that you can take a break to go stock up on materials and supplies.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I sat back down with Burning Shores again better prepared for just taking a pretty tour with some rare spots of combat. Finished the main quest in about 4 hours. Very pretty, the finale especially brought a lot of visual spectacle. Most of the main missions are focused around simple platforming or human combat… which I always thought of as the weakest parts of the gameplay. So that’s a bummer. The new weapon you get is kind of comedically powerful against bots. It even took out the new apex stormbird flying down south without a sweat, on the second highest difficulty. homing shots, high chance of stagger, crazy damage numbers… and the ammo is cheap to craft to boot seems a bit much, lol.

I’ve found two side quests but haven’t started either. I’ve been everywhere on the map, so if there are more I guess they’re locked behind one of these quests. I’ll probably do them on some other night when I just want to look at eye candy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Wondering if it's worth it to even get Jedi Survivor if I'm only going to play it for 2 weeks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Final Fantasy 2 is far from a perfect game but it’s a lot better than it’s reputation gives on. The Pixel Remaster has done a lot to rehab the public image. I played through all six of the Pixel Remasters on my Steam Deck recently and the only one I could say is bad was 3. That game is an absolute slog.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Humanity, the Lemmings-like game from Enhance, the studio that made Rez Infinite and Tetris Effect, will be a day 1 game available on PS+ Extra and Premium on May 16.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/04/20/humanity-available-day-1-as-a-playstation-plus-game-catalog-title-out-may-16/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1yO7bcqqk

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mcmagic posted:

Wondering if it's worth it to even get Jedi Survivor if I'm only going to play it for 2 weeks.

You should easily be able to finish it in 2 weeks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jose Oquendo posted:

You should easily be able to finish it in 2 weeks.

My gaming cadence is weird. I play pretty sporadically unless a game really ropes me in. (I'll probably still get it)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

mcmagic posted:

My gaming cadence is weird. I play pretty sporadically unless a game really ropes me in. (I'll probably still get it)

Do what I did with the first one and wait until it's on "literally the price of a cup of coffee"-sale to rope people in before the sequel drops

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
FFPR in the morning, lunch, FF14 in the evening.
Used to dream about days like this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mcmagic posted:

I am the same way actually. Fallen Order sucked me in, and it sucked me in on my 3rd play through a couple weeks ago. I know the game is flawed, but the Star Wars lightsaber woom woom poo poo pulls me right in.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I want to play Jedi: Fallen Order again on PS5 before the sequel, but I don't want to give EA $40 for an almost 4 year old game. Can I just subscribe to EA Play for $5 and then cancel right away? I'm worried about some EA bullshit, like they won't allow me to play the game because I've canceled my sub early, or the cancellation process requires driving to the EA corporate office and scheduling a meeting with a product manager.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD

Cardboard Fox posted:

I want to play Jedi: Fallen Order again on PS5 before the sequel, but I don't want to give EA $40 for an almost 4 year old game. Can I just subscribe to EA Play for $5 and then cancel right away? I'm worried about some EA bullshit, like they won't allow me to play the game because I've canceled my sub early, or the cancellation process requires driving to the EA corporate office and scheduling a meeting with a product manager.

Yes that works. I did that when EA Play had a $1 a month and breezed through JFO that way. Easy to cancel just have to navigate to your "manage subscriptions" part of your PSN account and cancel it.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Cool, thanks.

I love video games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baggot posted:

Humanity, the Lemmings-like game from Enhance, the studio that made Rez Infinite and Tetris Effect, will be a day 1 game available on PS+ Extra and Premium on May 16.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/04/20/humanity-available-day-1-as-a-playstation-plus-game-catalog-title-out-may-16/

That’s awesome! The demo was great

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
i’m into that on developer basis alone, but is it just Lemmings? What makes it distinct? Didn’t get a chance to play the demo.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BurningBeard posted:

i’m into that on developer basis alone, but is it just Lemmings? What makes it distinct? Didn’t get a chance to play the demo.

As I mentioned previously in the thread based on my impressions of the demo, the game actually feels a lot like a combination of ChuChu Rocket, Lemmings, and Pikmin to me. It's not just straight-up Lemmings but the goal of each stage is effectively like that, you're trying to guide mindless creatures safely to an exit using various stage objects and special skills. You control a little dog avatar to manipulate all this.

The game also has what seems to be a quite robust stage creation toolset so theoretically the game will have endless content as long as the community keeps making cool stuff.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
Having never played a Final Fantasy before 7 I must say this first game is a treat. I'm really amazed at how a 30 year old sprite based game looks this drat good on my giant rear end TV. Now I have roughly 2 months to beat all 6 of these before 16 drops. Final Fantasy is back baby.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Baggot posted:

This is the weird-assed Sony I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Baggot posted:

As I mentioned previously in the thread based on my impressions of the demo, the game actually feels a lot like a combination of ChuChu Rocket, Lemmings, and Pikmin to me. It's not just straight-up Lemmings but the goal of each stage is effectively like that, you're trying to guide mindless creatures safely to an exit using various stage objects and special skills. You control a little dog avatar to manipulate all this.

The game also has what seems to be a quite robust stage creation toolset so theoretically the game will have endless content as long as the community keeps making cool stuff.

cheers. Thank you. drat there are too many games these days. Great problem to have.