Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think the real problem with the Senate is that it's so hands-off. It's the politics center, and you can't do any actual politicking.

Other Empires change their vote or abstain apparently at whim, you have no way to see why everyone's voting the way they are, let alone try to convince people to vote with you or horse-trade for their votes. The best you can do is spend Favors for guaranteed vote numbers onto your side, but the otherwise completely random voting makes that pointless. Literally every time I've done it, even when I cashed in every Favor I had and blew like 300 Influence to get a 100k vote lead, I still lost the vote in the end, because everyone loves to jump their votes in the last microsecond before the clock ticking to 0.

Your choices are to either control 51% of the galaxy or get dicked around by the AI, its inscrutable whims, and its really loving obnoxious love of passing every pro-mercenary resolution that comes up, for fucksakes you assholes stop cutting my Naval Capacity and let me go to war without hiring one of your pet murderers, I have plenty of murderers on staff already, thank you.

Side note: it is very loving annoying that there's no way to tell what mercs are hired out and what are available besides calling them all up one by one and seeing if "rent fleet" is greyed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I think the real problem with the Senate is that it's so hands-off. It's the politics center, and you can't do any actual politicking.

Other Empires change their vote or abstain apparently at whim, you have no way to see why everyone's voting the way they are, let alone try to convince people to vote with you or horse-trade for their votes. The best you can do is spend Favors for guaranteed vote numbers onto your side, but the otherwise completely random voting makes that pointless. Literally every time I've done it, even when I cashed in every Favor I had and blew like 300 Influence to get a 100k vote lead, I still lost the vote in the end, because everyone loves to jump their votes in the last microsecond before the clock ticking to 0.

Your choices are to either control 51% of the galaxy or get dicked around by the AI, its inscrutable whims, and its really loving obnoxious love of passing every pro-mercenary resolution that comes up, for fucksakes you assholes stop cutting my Naval Capacity and let me go to war without hiring one of your pet murderers, I have plenty of murderers on staff already, thank you.

Side note: it is very loving annoying that there's no way to tell what mercs are hired out and what are available besides calling them all up one by one and seeing if "rent fleet" is greyed out.

Case in point (from a recent MP game with some friends):

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 20, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I finished my most recent game. Driven assimilators, and I only ate about half of the galaxy before the rest of it elected me the imperial core due to the great Khan popping off.

The one who nominated me was my vassal, the RakRak Unity which was a small hive mind to my south who I guess really looked up to their shiny, violent big brother. As a bulwark they spent the last century of the game or so beating down the awakened fallen empire, which had stolen my mega shipyard during the Prethoryn invasion, so that worked out great for me.

Another highlight in my opinion is the robot uprising immediately joining the imperium. Just showing up and immediate being like "Ah, I see you are also a galactic intelligence of culture."

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Horace Kinch posted:

So is BREEDING THAT GALAXUSSY your empire, or your friend's?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'll never tell :wink:

We had Xeno-Compatibility on

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The AI will absolutely vote for everything to go to hell out of sheer spite if they hate you enough.

To be fair in this case, though, I would 100% rather the last spark of my dying brain go to feed the Unbidden than to ever be counted on the same side as BREEDING THAT GALAXUSSY, for anything

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

CapnAndy posted:

Other Empires change their vote or abstain apparently at whim, you have no way to see why everyone's voting the way they are, let alone try to convince people to vote with you or horse-trade for their votes.
You can hover over the other empires icons now to see why they're voting that way. Might require some level of intel.

Usually it's "don't like the proposer" which is why they vote against.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Been a while since I played last - think it was June last I played.

What's the state of the game these days? I remember the AI being pretty bad and the end-game crises being a big letdown as a result.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gort posted:

What's the state of the game these days? I remember the AI being pretty bad and the end-game crises being a big letdown as a result.

The AI is now pretty good. Endgame crises really depend on your skill level and what difficulty you put them on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Horace Kinch posted:

lol @ that empire name but also i'm sorry about your friends' political score :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Montu Plays just uploaded a video about the new upcoming changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymAYHNvczjI

It looks pretty drat cool.
Oh my best-forgotten space gods, there's even an improved fleet manager UI!

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, exactly! Exactly this!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CapnAndy posted:

The AI will absolutely vote for everything to go to hell out of sheer spite if they hate you enough.

To be fair in this case, though, I would 100% rather the last spark of my dying brain go to feed the Unbidden than to ever be counted on the same side as BREEDING THAT GALAXUSSY, for anything

I never realized it before, but does the image in the background change depending on the votes for/against? That's really neat!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Truga posted:

lol @ that empire name but also i'm sorry about your friends' political score :v:

They are not very good at Stellaris but they enjoy playing either way. This game is much more fun when you're playing with pals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gort posted:

The AI is much better now, playing on the default time settings, the AI on Commodore has no issue stomping a 2x Crisis instantly on arrival. Which still makes the crises a let down, but it's better, at least now you can just turn the crisis power up.

CapnAndy posted:

Your choices are to either control 51% of the galaxy or get dicked around by the AI, its inscrutable whims, and its really loving obnoxious love of passing every pro-mercenary resolution that comes up

Yea the AI being unbelievably horny for pro mercenary resolutions is infuriating, not because Mercs are bad but because they just add more busywork.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 20, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Horace Kinch posted:

They are not very good at Stellaris but they enjoy playing either way. This game is much more fun when you're playing with pals.

oh i know, i play exclusively when we can get 4-5 friends online over the weekend

have a friend that learns the exact same newbie lessons every single game but he still likes the game a lot lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CapnAndy posted:

Other Empires change their vote or abstain apparently at whim, you have no way to see why everyone's voting the way they are, let alone try to convince people to vote with you or horse-trade for their votes.
What would be great is if you could pick a thing and get a breakdown of who would vote which way and why if you brought it to session right now. Tie it into Intel level so low Intel empires are just "Unknown preference" but high Intel will be like "strongly in favour (positive opinion, beneficial civics)" or whatever

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

PittTheElder posted:

The AI is much better now, playing on the default time settings, the AI on Commodore has no issue stomping a 2x Crisis instantly on arrival. Which still makes the crises a let down, but it's better, at least now you can just turn the crisis power up.

Yea the AI being unbelievably horny for pro mercenary resolutions is infuriating, not because Mercs are bad but because they just add more busywork.

Mercenaries seem kind of great, it might just be me not really playing a ton of suuuuper militarist empires, but being able to farm out your military needs to a PMC kind of rules. I agree that the resolution about having to have mercenaries when you're at war kind of sucks, but only because it applies to everyone so even if your federation mate is cleaning up a neighbor or something you have to rent out some troops.

Although at the end of the day you can just buy them and give them the old "Follow that guy"

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
We are finally getting capital specializations! But no Research capital option :(

Gonna have to adapt I guess

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Also sector border management.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Duodecimal posted:

Also sector border management.
Well now!!!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I just had my first ‘win’ on Captain with the new AI but I can’t be bothered to actually win. The War in Heaven happened and one awakened FE took over 2/3 of the galaxy, destroying the other. The rest is either me or my vassals. The FE relative fleet strength is pathetic.

The problem is that my dudes are pacifists, I don’t want to change that, and the FE likes me on account of saving the galaxy from the Contingency. Gonna chalk it up as a moral victory.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

All of these changes to armies and bombardment sound amazing. I do feel like ground armies should be a thing, but being able to just nuke a planet into surrender if you don't care about their infrastructure is the way to go.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I never realized it before, but does the image in the background change depending on the votes for/against? That's really neat!

Yeah, it's dynamic based on support. It's cool when you're a big dog and the colors radically shift when you pick a side.

Edit: Holy poo poo sector editing (and automatic Anomaly research). It's great that Stellaris keeps getting these QoL improvements

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CainsDescendant posted:

All of these changes to armies and bombardment sound amazing. I do feel like ground armies should be a thing, but being able to just nuke a planet into surrender if you don't care about their infrastructure is the way to go.

Yeah, now it's a choice. You don't need to bother with armies (unless you're a gestalt consciousness or a fanatic purifier), but the planets and populace will be much more devastated if you just bomb them into submission. Using armies means your conquests will be useful a lot sooner. I really like this change, and most of the others pointed out in that video.

One thing I miss is being able to "ship design" starbase loadouts. The computer loves to put all archo-weapons on the, even if regular level 5 weapons are superior.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Filboid Studge posted:

I just had my first ‘win’ on Captain with the new AI but I can’t be bothered to actually win. The War in Heaven happened and one awakened FE took over 2/3 of the galaxy, destroying the other. The rest is either me or my vassals. The FE relative fleet strength is pathetic.

The problem is that my dudes are pacifists, I don’t want to change that, and the FE likes me on account of saving the galaxy from the Contingency. Gonna chalk it up as a moral victory.
That's super common. I usually bounce after the Crisis shows up; if I've got something I consider a victory state like my Federation controlling the galaxy, I'm not interested in doing something idiotic like declaring war on my allies just to make the Situation Log call me the winner after another 30 uneventful years.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Splicer posted:

The reason it's like this and the reason megastructures are such a shitshow is because someone who used to be on the dev team was absolutely terrified of monthly deductions. Just absolutely making GBS threads themselves that someone, somewhere, at some point, might overstretch their economy a bit :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Please ignore all the other ways it's possible to overstretch your economy and that managing your economy is one of the main points of the game, or that absolutely everyone finds the whole "Yes thank you for building the useless framework that does literally nothing, yes I do want to continue building it thank you" setup incredibly annoying. It's all obviously a small price to pay to avoid that one guy who started building a dyson sphere and then realised they couldn't actually afford it being mildly irritated for one game.

It's a shame, because games like Command and Conquer or Supreme Commander do really well with having costs be an upkeep instead of an up-front cost. Hell, both even dynamically throttle production based on your resources, so if you're spending double your income, your production is half as fast.

Granted, that gets a lot fuzzier with a 4x, but it absolutely can be done, and would make for a lot less micromanagement since you could just queue up a planets' build order and walk away rather than worrying about wasting a ton of minerals up front.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a shame, because games like Command and Conquer or Supreme Commander do really well with having costs be an upkeep instead of an up-front cost. Hell, both even dynamically throttle production based on your resources, so if you're spending double your income, your production is half as fast.

Granted, that gets a lot fuzzier with a 4x, but it absolutely can be done, and would make for a lot less micromanagement since you could just queue up a planets' build order and walk away rather than worrying about wasting a ton of minerals up front.
Yep. Stellaris's overspend mechanics have been rear end backwards since when I started playing and there's so many weird exploits and patchwork fixes from them. They've gotten much better since situations. Megastructures should be situations now :colbert:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 21, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Finally got around to reading the patch notes.

I'm still pretty unenthused by ground combat but the orbital changes mean it's pretty optional and new interface will make the forced engagements way less annoying.

Obviously auto-anomalies is the big science news but being able to set your archaeologist to automatically archaeologist and your explorers to explore on a per-ship basis is pretty huge.

Surprised nobody mentioned the co-op beta was live!

isndl
May 2, 2012
At some point they changed construction ships so that queuing construction doesn't deduct resources until it becomes the active job. Be nice if planetary construction queues got the same treatment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

At some point they changed construction ships so that queuing construction doesn't deduct resources until it becomes the active job. Be nice if planetary construction queues got the same treatment.

I hated this and am kind of hoping they undo the change at some point. At the beginning of every game, I get annoyed at chained construction randomly breaking because the game allows me to queue up more constructions than I can actually do

then I randomly get messages telling me I'm a dumb gently caress and now one of my construction ships is idling, annoying as poo poo

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Libluini posted:

I hated this and am kind of hoping they undo the change at some point. At the beginning of every game, I get annoyed at chained construction randomly breaking because the game allows me to queue up more constructions than I can actually do

then I randomly get messages telling me I'm a dumb gently caress and now one of my construction ships is idling, annoying as poo poo

it could just be another button on the construction ship's UI next to armageddon/evasive stances and whatnot; (A) to reserve ALL resources for queued orders, or (B) only reserve for current+next job, or (C) an option to keep the present behavior

isndl
May 2, 2012

Libluini posted:

Simple fix would be just have the construction ship idle in place until resources become available, with a little warning notification if you want to buy off the market or something to get things moving immediately.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or an auto-buy minerals option. I would like an auto-sell when at cap too.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Poil posted:

Or an auto-buy minerals option. I would like an auto-sell when at cap too.

The fact that it doesn't auto sell is absurd tbh

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
When you hit cap it should have a Situation and it has a portrait of a little alien who just can't hold all of the minerals.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

When you hit cap it should have a Situation and it has a portrait of a little alien who just can't hold all of the minerals.

:hmmyes:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Mike the TV posted:

This is a legit good idea. They already do it for deficits.

I actually really like situations in general, I find it easier to keep track, I hope they expand on it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Will it tell me "Silos needed"?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's absurd that there isn't already an auto-sell function for when you hit cap in any resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mike the TV posted:

Knocked up some concept art